New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Thread

Moderators: Morten Jensen, Blame Rasho, magnumt, tsherkin, Flash3, UGA Hayes, Yuri Vaultin, Mark K, Doctor MJ, NO-KG-AI

tsherkin
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 4,241

Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Thread 

Post#136 » by tsherkin » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:56 pm

Pimpwerx wrote:The forum is displaying weird for me in Chrome now. For the last week or so. The heading is all text, so it takes up like 12 pages at the top of every page. The rest of the forum displays fine, but this is really bad. In IE, it displays fine. It worked fine on an iPad I used today too, so it's just Chrome for me. Am I alone? PEACE.

This is a thread about policy questions, not glitches. Please create a relevant thread on the feedback forum.
DEAN GARRETT!!!
TheToothFairy
Banned User
And1: 292

Post#137 » by TheToothFairy » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:13 am

tsherkin wrote:
CHA_77_Bobcats wrote:
Ginger Bean wrote:Where can we find our "status" or "standing" in our user panel? I mean, if we have any warnings or not.

Click control panel: scroll down a little and you'll see "Your warning level". I don't think it shows up if you don't have any warnings in the last however long warnings take to expire. You can't see anyone else's though.

Yes, this, my bad. with board roll-overs, new policy and lengthy periods of time, you can't see everything that we can, but recent stuff may show. Your poster tag will change sometimes, as well.

What do the warning #'s actually man?
MellowRose
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,329

General Board Question 

Post#138 » by MellowRose » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:36 pm

Hey guys,

New to RealGM's forum, but been lurking for quite a while, and I have a quick question, I hope someone can answer.

Why is there a set limit to how many days you have to wait before you can post in the General Board? I find it to be really lame...
livintoolive
Head Coach
And1: 150

Re: General Board Question 

Post#139 » by livintoolive » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:43 pm

I didn't even know that existed but it seems like a good idea. You see, sometimes the new users (affectionately referred to as ballboys around these parts) will make silly posts and worse silly threads. Threads that are completely unworthy of being threads. Would you believe that? So to prevent those silly asinine threads, there seems to be a minimum post/day threshold.
R-DAWG wrote:i'd rather have the pick to package with Amare's contract next offseason, but hey, I'm just an MBA student at NYU what do I know about business.
Thugger HBC
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 4,713
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#140 » by Thugger HBC » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:43 pm

Honestly didn't know there was one.

Take a read in the general board new rules section.

If that isn't suffice, try to PM a site admin....preferably Howard, he'll gladly answer your question.

I'm gonna move your thread to the General board section, it really doesn't belong here.
Goldtop
Banned User
And1: 163

Post#141 » by Goldtop » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:18 pm

livintoolive wrote:I didn't even know that existed but it seems like a good idea. You see, sometimes the new users (affectionately referred to as ballboys around these parts) will make silly posts and worse silly threads. Threads that are completely unworthy of being threads. Would you believe that? So to prevent those silly asinine threads, there seems to be a minimum post/day threshold.

tbh, what's silly is that mods dictate what is "thread-worthy". As long as its bball related and not deragotory, idk how a mod can say who's opinion is worthy of a thread and who's isn't.
BizGilwalker
RealGM
And1: 2,859

Post#142 » by BizGilwalker » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:23 pm

How the hell did you post here???????

Thought it was a 100 day wait?
fatlever wrote:Lamb Gang logic - Kemba Walker is faking his injury as his way of a silent protest against not trading for Lamb. You guys are officially off the rails.
:lol:
crosko42
Starter
And1: 669

Post#143 » by crosko42 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:23 pm

Pretty sure its in place to stop people who get banned from just making hundreds of new accounts in a row to continue posting in the gb.
BKAY
Sixth Man
And1: 361

Post#144 » by BKAY » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:38 pm

Goldtop wrote:
livintoolive wrote:I didn't even know that existed but it seems like a good idea. You see, sometimes the new users (affectionately referred to as ballboys around these parts) will make silly posts and worse silly threads. Threads that are completely unworthy of being threads. Would you believe that? So to prevent those silly asinine threads, there seems to be a minimum post/day threshold.

tbh, what's silly is that mods dictate what is "thread-worthy". As long as its bball related and not deragotory, idk how a mod can say who's opinion is worthy of a thread and who's isn't.

True to an extent but people cant seem to let these terrible threads go by without telling OP how terrible it is or posting a gif. So they clog up the 1st pages while quality threads get buried.
UGA Hayes
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 567

Post#145 » by UGA Hayes » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:56 pm

I am merging this with the GB questions sticky. The rule is there in part to allow new posters to understand the rules for the GB so that they don't start breaking rules and saying they didn't know what the rules were.
Jaykoolzboy
Assistant Coach
And1: 28

Post#146 » by Jaykoolzboy » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:51 am

What is backseat moderating? I receive a warning for backseat moderating. Please advise.
"Yea wtf HAHA, I would take Rubio over Westbrook 10 times out of 10"

By cube
Nanogeek
Banned User
And1: 127

Post#147 » by Nanogeek » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:17 pm

Jaykoolzboy wrote:What is backseat moderating? I receive a warning for backseat moderating. Please advise.

If you tell people that they are violating board policies but you aren't yourself a moderator.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 4,096

Post#148 » by BadMofoPimp » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:28 pm

Nanogeek wrote:
Jaykoolzboy wrote:What is backseat moderating? I receive a warning for backseat moderating. Please advise.

If you tell people that they are violating board policies but you aren't yourself a moderator.

Wait, I thought Backseast moderating is when Posters tell Moderators how they should drive or moderate the board. You know, from the back seat.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
tsherkin
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#149 » by tsherkin » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:47 pm

If you want to comment on a post in a way that suggests moderator action (lock this thread, that's trolling, etc), use the report function.

That's why it's there.

Posting about it in-thread is derailing and backseat moderating... And won't actually tell a moderator what's happening, while using the report function will.
DEAN GARRETT!!!
Apathy
Veteran
And1: 37

Post#150 » by Apathy » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:09 am

I have no idea why my Kyrie Irving thread was locked. All I did was stick to the facts.
Tarik Black
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 884

Post#151 » by Tarik Black » Thu Jan 3, 2013 5:58 pm

Apathy wrote:I have no idea why my Kyrie Irving thread was locked. All I did was stick to the facts.

In the locked thread:

Basti wrote:A topic like this belongs to the Player Comparison Board.
Can't Understand Normal Thinking
Apathy
Veteran

Post#152 » by Apathy » Fri Jan 4, 2013 1:03 am

Who was I comparing him to?
tsherkin
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#153 » by tsherkin » Fri Jan 4, 2013 11:40 pm

Apathy wrote:Who was I comparing him to?

You made a discussion about whether he's a top-5, elite point guard; it was definitively comparing him to basically every starting PG in the league, but more particularly to all of the guards people typically think of as among the best PGs in the league. Any time ranking a player relative to his peers enters the equation, it's a blatant player comparison and belongs on the PC Board.
DEAN GARRETT!!!
Apathy
Veteran

Post#154 » by Apathy » Sat Jan 5, 2013 12:01 am

Fair enough, I 'spose. But why not just move it instead of locking it?
raleigh
Lead Assistant
And1: 28

Post#155 » by raleigh » Sat Jan 5, 2013 6:23 am

Currently, 10 of the first page threads pertain to Lakers' players. May I request we go ahead and change the website to lakersgm.com?

Return to The General Board