yardbarker

New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Thread

Moderators: Morten Jensen, Blame Rasho, UGA Hayes, Basti, KingCuban, Flash3, Yuri Vaultin, magnumt, tsherkin, NO-KG-AI, Doctor MJ

Post#151 Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Th
Thu Jan 3, 2013 4:58 pm by John Black

Apathy wrote:I have no idea why my Kyrie Irving thread was locked. All I did was stick to the facts.

In the locked thread:

Basti wrote:A topic like this belongs to the Player Comparison Board.
Can't Understand Normal Thinking
John Black

Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 532

Post#152 Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Th
Fri Jan 4, 2013 12:03 am by Apathy

Who was I comparing him to?
Apathy
Veteran
And1: 36

Post#153 Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Th
Fri Jan 4, 2013 10:40 pm by tsherkin

Apathy wrote:Who was I comparing him to?

You made a discussion about whether he's a top-5, elite point guard; it was definitively comparing him to basically every starting PG in the league, but more particularly to all of the guards people typically think of as among the best PGs in the league. Any time ranking a player relative to his peers enters the equation, it's a blatant player comparison and belongs on the PC Board.
DEAN GARRETT!!!
tsherkin
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 3,395

Post#154 Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Th
Fri Jan 4, 2013 11:01 pm by Apathy

Fair enough, I 'spose. But why not just move it instead of locking it?
Apathy
Veteran
And1: 36

Post#155 Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Th
Sat Jan 5, 2013 5:23 am by raleigh

Currently, 10 of the first page threads pertain to Lakers' players. May I request we go ahead and change the website to lakersgm.com?
raleigh
Lead Assistant
And1: 28

Post#156 Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Th
Mon Jan 7, 2013 9:11 pm by BryceMaxJames

Wrong thread i assume?
BryceMaxJames
Rookie
And1: 98

Post#157 Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Th
Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:26 pm by tsherkin

Apathy wrote:Fair enough, I 'spose. But why not just move it instead of locking it?

We have answered this question many times; it gets locked so you can see it and notice that you made a mistake, instead of quietly transferring without you realizing your error.
DEAN GARRETT!!!
tsherkin
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#158 Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Th
Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:44 pm by seorang

oops
seorang

Senior
And1: 94

Post#159 Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Th
Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:47 pm by seorang

woops wrong thread
seorang

Senior
And1: 94

Post#160 Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Th
Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:24 am by Dr Salad Bowl

Can you guys issue warnings or whatever for people who reply to massive images without removing the original image? Case in point is the GIF thread - full of great content then 3 or 4 replies which is just the images again and a bunch of LOL faces.
Dr Salad Bowl

Junior
And1: 20

Post#161 Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Th
Mon Apr 1, 2013 11:13 am by dike77

So im trying to avoid pictures of the Ware injury, dont klich on any link or spoiler and then im scrolling down in the GIF-thread and someone posted a giant zoomed picture of the injury without any spoiler etc. As highlight my wife is behind me, sees it too and cant unsee it anymore. So im posting an angry "spoiler this you idiot" reply and alert the mods that this posting need a spoiler so this doesnt happen to other user.

As thankyou im getting a tempory ban - seriously? A short message "hey, i understand but also in such cases you have to watch your language" wasnt an option?! :roll:
dike77
Banned User
And1: 249

Post#162 Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Th
Mon Apr 1, 2013 12:35 pm by BadMofoPimp

I suggest alerting the MOD's of that forum. Because, they have the power to alter or remove the offending post. Sometimes, people just make mistakes. Nobody needs to be banned and you should not need to retaliate. That post could have been removed by a mod as fast as it was put up there before anyone else could have been offended.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 3,354

Post#163 Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Th
Mon Apr 1, 2013 4:29 pm by kyphi

dike77 wrote:So im trying to avoid pictures of the Ware injury, dont klich on any link or spoiler and then im scrolling down in the GIF-thread and someone posted a giant zoomed picture of the injury without any spoiler etc. As highlight my wife is behind me, sees it too and cant unsee it anymore. So im posting an angry "spoiler this you idiot" reply and alert the mods that this posting need a spoiler so this doesnt happen to other user.

As thankyou im getting a tempory ban - seriously? A short message "hey, i understand but also in such cases you have to watch your language" wasnt an option?! :roll:

Yeah, I unintentionally saw it too, but it was a long view. Had kids yet?
kyphi

Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,581

Post#164 Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Th
Tue Apr 2, 2013 9:19 am by tsherkin

dike77 wrote:So im trying to avoid pictures of the Ware injury, dont klich on any link or spoiler and then im scrolling down in the GIF-thread and someone posted a giant zoomed picture of the injury without any spoiler etc. As highlight my wife is behind me, sees it too and cant unsee it anymore. So im posting an angry "spoiler this you idiot" reply and alert the mods that this posting need a spoiler so this doesnt happen to other user.

All warnings on the general board come with a 12-hour suspension; had you read the policy thread for that board, you would be aware of this. Next time, don't break the rules with a personal attack, use the report function for its intended purpose.
DEAN GARRETT!!!
tsherkin
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#165 Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Th
Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:47 pm by BrotherDave

Not sure if this is a forum policy question per se but I'm not sure where else to post this.

If I delete my posts in a thread, do those posts still appear in other people's posts from when they quoted me?
I thought Royce White was worth a late 1st round/early 2nd pick by the worst team in NBA history.
BrotherDave

General Manager
And1: 1,062

Post#166 Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Th
Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:59 pm by tsherkin

BrotherDave wrote:Not sure if this is a forum policy question per se but I'm not sure where else to post this.

If I delete my posts in a thread, do those posts still appear in other people's posts from when they quoted me?

Yes, they do.
DEAN GARRETT!!!
tsherkin
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#167 Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Th
Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:39 am by Viatical

After wading through all 12 pages of this thread, I am still unclear on the relationship, if any, between Board Warnings issued on the General Board, and Board Warnings issued on a subforum. Could I please get some clarity?

- Per an earlier question in the thread, it sounds like these are tracked separately on each forum. So a Board Warning on a subforum does not contribute to the 1-2-3 warning count on the General Board, and conversely, General Board warnings do not contribute to any sort of warning count on those subforums? Is that correct?

- What am I to make of board warnings issued on a subforum? Is the General NBA Forum Policy inclusive as to how those are now being handled on those subforums as well? They're now also on a 1-2-3 warning count, held separately on that subforum, or are the mods of those subforums given wide latitude to moderate however they see fit?

- I apologize if these questions seem asinine, but I am relatively new to the forums and lack that sense of history of how the handling or scope of these policies has changed. I don't have a frame of reference to compare the changes to, or a memory of how things used to be on RealGM with which to fill in the blanks in situations in which this new General NBA Forum Policy may not be applicable. In any case,

Thanks!
Viatical
Lead Assistant
And1: 347

Post#168 Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Th
Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:23 am by KingCuban

Viatical wrote:After wading through all 12 pages of this thread, I am still unclear on the relationship, if any, between Board Warnings issued on the General Board, and Board Warnings issued on a subforum. Could I please get some clarity?

- Per an earlier question in the thread, it sounds like these are tracked separately on each forum. So a Board Warning on a subforum does not contribute to the 1-2-3 warning count on the General Board, and conversely, General Board warnings do not contribute to any sort of warning count on those subforums? Is that correct?

- What am I to make of board warnings issued on a subforum? Is the General NBA Forum Policy inclusive as to how those are now being handled on those subforums as well? They're now also on a 1-2-3 warning count, held separately on that subforum, or are the mods of those subforums given wide latitude to moderate however they see fit?

- I apologize if these questions seem asinine, but I am relatively new to the forums and lack that sense of history of how the handling or scope of these policies has changed. I don't have a frame of reference to compare the changes to, or a memory of how things used to be on RealGM with which to fill in the blanks in situations in which this new General NBA Forum Policy may not be applicable. In any case,

Thanks!

I've PM'd you about this one.
KingCuban

Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 9,412

Post#169 Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Th
Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:10 am by fleet

Viatical wrote:After wading through all 12 pages of this thread, I am still unclear on the relationship, if any, between Board Warnings issued on the General Board, and Board Warnings issued on a subforum. Could I please get some clarity?

Thanks!

Things are not tracked separately unless somethng is going on that I am unaware of. Every poster has a file attached to his/her profile that logs all commentary and official actions for that account, and all mods and Admins boards across the website feed into it as needed. All mods and admins across the website can use this file to make decisions as seen fit. There isn't anything defined as separate and set in stone as far as that goes. It all goes into the same file. However, a mod who does work on the GB as well as a team board (or a global mod) will probably consider trangressions on both boards together more than a team board mod will. Thats just natural.

What they are now doing on the GB is different, and I'm not clear on it. It had to be different, and more strictly enforced because the GB was infested by trouble.

As far as I know, on team forums you can get unlimited warnings. Doesn't matter. If mods want to keep you around they will. If they don't, they will suspend you ASAP after 3 warnings if not sooner. But usually you will get the 3 count on warnings before suspension unless you do something really crazy. Suspensions can be from 30 minutes, 1 hour, 12 hours, 3 days, - 7 days, depending on what a mod staff and Administrator decide is best given circumstances. The general protocol is almost always a linear progression upward however.
fleet wrote:I have written the worst post on the topic. Again.
fleet

Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 2,640

Post#170 Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Th
Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:38 pm by stevenDXM

How can a user get a second strike if he or she only has read only access?
stevenDXM
Freshman
And1: 2

PreviousNext

Return to The General Board