New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Thread

Moderators: Morten Jensen, Blame Rasho, UGA Hayes, Doctor MJ, Yuri Vaultin, NO-KG-AI, Mark K, tsherkin, magnumt, Flash3

Tarik Black
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 22,904
And1: 1,184
Joined: Jan 20, 2005
Location: El Segundo
Contact:
       

Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Thread 

Post#151 » by Tarik Black » Thu Jan 3, 2013 9:58 pm

Apathy wrote:I have no idea why my Kyrie Irving thread was locked. All I did was stick to the facts.


In the locked thread:

Basti wrote:A topic like this belongs to the Player Comparison Board.
Can't Understand Normal Thinking
Apathy
Banned User
Posts: 2,583
And1: 37
Joined: Aug 25, 2011

Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Thread 

Post#152 » by Apathy » Fri Jan 4, 2013 5:03 am

Who was I comparing him to?
tsherkin
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 59,671
And1: 4,835
Joined: Oct 14, 2003
 

Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Thread 

Post#153 » by tsherkin » Sat Jan 5, 2013 3:40 am

Apathy wrote:Who was I comparing him to?


You made a discussion about whether he's a top-5, elite point guard; it was definitively comparing him to basically every starting PG in the league, but more particularly to all of the guards people typically think of as among the best PGs in the league. Any time ranking a player relative to his peers enters the equation, it's a blatant player comparison and belongs on the PC Board.
DEAN GARRETT!!!
Apathy
Banned User
Posts: 2,583
And1: 37
Joined: Aug 25, 2011

Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Thread 

Post#154 » by Apathy » Sat Jan 5, 2013 4:01 am

Fair enough, I 'spose. But why not just move it instead of locking it?
raleigh
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,491
And1: 28
Joined: Oct 23, 2004

Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Thread 

Post#155 » by raleigh » Sat Jan 5, 2013 10:23 am

Currently, 10 of the first page threads pertain to Lakers' players. May I request we go ahead and change the website to lakersgm.com?
User avatar
BryceMaxJames
Rookie
Posts: 1,095
And1: 188
Joined: Jun 29, 2009
Contact:
 

Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Thread 

Post#156 » by BryceMaxJames » Tue Jan 8, 2013 2:11 am

Wrong thread i assume?
Image
tsherkin
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 59,671
And1: 4,835
Joined: Oct 14, 2003
 

Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Thread 

Post#157 » by tsherkin » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:26 pm

Apathy wrote:Fair enough, I 'spose. But why not just move it instead of locking it?


We have answered this question many times; it gets locked so you can see it and notice that you made a mistake, instead of quietly transferring without you realizing your error.
DEAN GARRETT!!!
seorang
Senior
Posts: 636
And1: 101
Joined: Jan 30, 2012
Location: India
   

Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Thread 

Post#158 » by seorang » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:44 am

oops
seorang
Senior
Posts: 636
And1: 101
Joined: Jan 30, 2012
Location: India
   

Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Thread 

Post#159 » by seorang » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:47 am

woops wrong thread
User avatar
Dr Salad Bowl
Junior
Posts: 284
And1: 20
Joined: Jul 19, 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
 

Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Thread 

Post#160 » by Dr Salad Bowl » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:24 am

Can you guys issue warnings or whatever for people who reply to massive images without removing the original image? Case in point is the GIF thread - full of great content then 3 or 4 replies which is just the images again and a bunch of LOL faces.
dike77
Banned User
Posts: 953
And1: 249
Joined: Oct 22, 2012

Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Thread 

Post#161 » by dike77 » Mon Apr 1, 2013 4:13 pm

So im trying to avoid pictures of the Ware injury, dont klich on any link or spoiler and then im scrolling down in the GIF-thread and someone posted a giant zoomed picture of the injury without any spoiler etc. As highlight my wife is behind me, sees it too and cant unsee it anymore. So im posting an angry "spoiler this you idiot" reply and alert the mods that this posting need a spoiler so this doesnt happen to other user.

As thankyou im getting a tempory ban - seriously? A short message "hey, i understand but also in such cases you have to watch your language" wasnt an option?! :roll:
User avatar
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
Posts: 35,468
And1: 4,343
Joined: Oct 12, 2003
Location: In the Paint

Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Thread 

Post#162 » by BadMofoPimp » Mon Apr 1, 2013 5:35 pm

I suggest alerting the MOD's of that forum. Because, they have the power to alter or remove the offending post. Sometimes, people just make mistakes. Nobody needs to be banned and you should not need to retaliate. That post could have been removed by a mod as fast as it was put up there before anyone else could have been offended.
Image

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
User avatar
kyphi
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 62,754
And1: 3,270
Joined: Jul 17, 2004
Location: limpid pool
   

Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Thread 

Post#163 » by kyphi » Mon Apr 1, 2013 9:29 pm

dike77 wrote:So im trying to avoid pictures of the Ware injury, dont klich on any link or spoiler and then im scrolling down in the GIF-thread and someone posted a giant zoomed picture of the injury without any spoiler etc. As highlight my wife is behind me, sees it too and cant unsee it anymore. So im posting an angry "spoiler this you idiot" reply and alert the mods that this posting need a spoiler so this doesnt happen to other user.

As thankyou im getting a tempory ban - seriously? A short message "hey, i understand but also in such cases you have to watch your language" wasnt an option?! :roll:


Yeah, I unintentionally saw it too, but it was a long view. Had kids yet?
tsherkin
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 59,671
And1: 4,835
Joined: Oct 14, 2003
 

Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Thread 

Post#164 » by tsherkin » Tue Apr 2, 2013 2:19 pm

dike77 wrote:So im trying to avoid pictures of the Ware injury, dont klich on any link or spoiler and then im scrolling down in the GIF-thread and someone posted a giant zoomed picture of the injury without any spoiler etc. As highlight my wife is behind me, sees it too and cant unsee it anymore. So im posting an angry "spoiler this you idiot" reply and alert the mods that this posting need a spoiler so this doesnt happen to other user.

As thankyou im getting a tempory ban - seriously? A short message "hey, i understand but also in such cases you have to watch your language" wasnt an option?! :roll:


All warnings on the general board come with a 12-hour suspension; had you read the policy thread for that board, you would be aware of this. Next time, don't break the rules with a personal attack, use the report function for its intended purpose.
DEAN GARRETT!!!
User avatar
BrotherDave
General Manager
Posts: 8,501
And1: 1,398
Joined: May 20, 2009
       

Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Thread 

Post#165 » by BrotherDave » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:47 am

Not sure if this is a forum policy question per se but I'm not sure where else to post this.

If I delete my posts in a thread, do those posts still appear in other people's posts from when they quoted me?
I thought Royce White was worth a late 1st round/early 2nd pick by the worst team in NBA history.
tsherkin
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 59,671
And1: 4,835
Joined: Oct 14, 2003
 

Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Thread 

Post#166 » by tsherkin » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:59 am

BrotherDave wrote:Not sure if this is a forum policy question per se but I'm not sure where else to post this.

If I delete my posts in a thread, do those posts still appear in other people's posts from when they quoted me?


Yes, they do.
DEAN GARRETT!!!
User avatar
Viatical
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,694
And1: 347
Joined: Dec 08, 2012

Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Thread 

Post#167 » by Viatical » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:39 am

After wading through all 12 pages of this thread, I am still unclear on the relationship, if any, between Board Warnings issued on the General Board, and Board Warnings issued on a subforum. Could I please get some clarity?

- Per an earlier question in the thread, it sounds like these are tracked separately on each forum. So a Board Warning on a subforum does not contribute to the 1-2-3 warning count on the General Board, and conversely, General Board warnings do not contribute to any sort of warning count on those subforums? Is that correct?

- What am I to make of board warnings issued on a subforum? Is the General NBA Forum Policy inclusive as to how those are now being handled on those subforums as well? They're now also on a 1-2-3 warning count, held separately on that subforum, or are the mods of those subforums given wide latitude to moderate however they see fit?

- I apologize if these questions seem asinine, but I am relatively new to the forums and lack that sense of history of how the handling or scope of these policies has changed. I don't have a frame of reference to compare the changes to, or a memory of how things used to be on RealGM with which to fill in the blanks in situations in which this new General NBA Forum Policy may not be applicable. In any case,

Thanks!
User avatar
Mark K
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 71,073
And1: 14,690
Joined: Jan 24, 2004
Location: Australia
 

Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Thread 

Post#168 » by Mark K » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:23 am

Viatical wrote:After wading through all 12 pages of this thread, I am still unclear on the relationship, if any, between Board Warnings issued on the General Board, and Board Warnings issued on a subforum. Could I please get some clarity?

- Per an earlier question in the thread, it sounds like these are tracked separately on each forum. So a Board Warning on a subforum does not contribute to the 1-2-3 warning count on the General Board, and conversely, General Board warnings do not contribute to any sort of warning count on those subforums? Is that correct?

- What am I to make of board warnings issued on a subforum? Is the General NBA Forum Policy inclusive as to how those are now being handled on those subforums as well? They're now also on a 1-2-3 warning count, held separately on that subforum, or are the mods of those subforums given wide latitude to moderate however they see fit?

- I apologize if these questions seem asinine, but I am relatively new to the forums and lack that sense of history of how the handling or scope of these policies has changed. I don't have a frame of reference to compare the changes to, or a memory of how things used to be on RealGM with which to fill in the blanks in situations in which this new General NBA Forum Policy may not be applicable. In any case,

Thanks!


I've PM'd you about this one.
"I now truly believe it is impossible for me to make a bad movie." - Jean Claude Van Damme
fleet
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
Posts: 35,186
And1: 4,102
Joined: Dec 23, 2002
     

Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Thread 

Post#169 » by fleet » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:10 am

Viatical wrote:After wading through all 12 pages of this thread, I am still unclear on the relationship, if any, between Board Warnings issued on the General Board, and Board Warnings issued on a subforum. Could I please get some clarity?

- Per an earlier question in the thread, it sounds like these are tracked separately on each forum. So a Board Warning on a subforum does not contribute to the 1-2-3 warning count on the General Board, and conversely, General Board warnings do not contribute to any sort of warning count on those subforums? Is that correct?

- What am I to make of board warnings issued on a subforum? Is the General NBA Forum Policy inclusive as to how those are now being handled on those subforums as well? They're now also on a 1-2-3 warning count, held separately on that subforum, or are the mods of those subforums given wide latitude to moderate however they see fit?

- I apologize if these questions seem asinine, but I am relatively new to the forums and lack that sense of history of how the handling or scope of these policies has changed. I don't have a frame of reference to compare the changes to, or a memory of how things used to be on RealGM with which to fill in the blanks in situations in which this new General NBA Forum Policy may not be applicable. In any case,

Thanks!

Things are not tracked separately unless somethng is going on that I am unaware of. Every poster has a file attached to his/her profile that logs all commentary and official actions for that account, and all mods and Admins boards across the website feed into it as needed. All mods and admins across the website can use this file to make decisions as seen fit. There isn't anything defined as separate and set in stone as far as that goes. It all goes into the same file. However, a mod who does work on the GB as well as a team board (or a global mod) will probably consider trangressions on both boards together more than a team board mod will. Thats just natural.

What they are now doing on the GB is different, and I'm not clear on it. It had to be different, and more strictly enforced because the GB was infested by trouble.

As far as I know, on team forums you can get unlimited warnings. Doesn't matter. If mods want to keep you around they will. If they don't, they will suspend you ASAP after 3 warnings if not sooner. But usually you will get the 3 count on warnings before suspension unless you do something really crazy. Suspensions can be from 30 minutes, 1 hour, 12 hours, 3 days, - 7 days, depending on what a mod staff and Administrator decide is best given circumstances. The general protocol is almost always a linear progression upward however.
stevenDXM
Freshman
Posts: 99
And1: 5
Joined: Jul 04, 2008
Contact:

Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Thread 

Post#170 » by stevenDXM » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:38 pm

How can a user get a second strike if he or she only has read only access?

Return to The General Board