yardbarker

New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Thread

Moderators: Morten Jensen, Blame Rasho, Doctor MJ, UGA Hayes, Yuri Vaultin, KingCuban, NO-KG-AI, magnumt, tsherkin, Flash3

Post#91 Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Th
Fri Sep 7, 2012 12:40 pm by Josephpaul

Can you ever have warnings removed? like say you have level one warning. ?
Josephpaul
Head Coach
And1: 293

Post#92 Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Th
Fri Sep 7, 2012 1:55 pm by Howard Mass

Josephpaul,

Not at this time.

It is possible we could decide to take away a strike from a user if they are good for a a few years.

That is something we could look at down the road but not in the near future.
Howard Mass

Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 2,130

Post#93 Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Th
Fri Sep 7, 2012 5:43 pm by Josephpaul

And the real tap talk ad is messing up loading screen. I have to delete cookies to get it to work . Can anything be done about that?
Josephpaul
Head Coach
And1: 293

Post#94 Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Th
Sat Sep 8, 2012 8:53 am by dream34

I'll check on Monday for a new update to Tapatalk.
dream34

Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 191

Post#95 Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Th
Sat Sep 8, 2012 8:13 pm by tsherkin

Tapatalk is generally a poor app to begin with. :(

EDIT: Although I must add, with the addition of the auto-refresh function, one of the most irritating traits about the app has gone away. It's still usually better to just load the page manually, even through a Smartphone browser window, though.
DEAN GARRETT!!!
tsherkin
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 3,872

Post#96 Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Th
Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:24 am by FlipTSO

BadMofoPimp wrote:Do we get a Warning "Health" Bar or percentage of Warning "Health" remaining so we know when we get close to our limit? And, do you offer Warning "Health" potions that we can buy or loot from posters we beat them in debates?

haha, that would be awesome
FlipTSO
Banned User
And1: 24

Post#97 Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Th
Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:50 am by tsherkin

Josephpaul wrote:Can you ever have warnings removed? like say you have level one warning. ?

Just to add onto this... I should point out that mods don't just look at the number of warnings a poster has and decide "aha, you're a toolbag, we need to get rid of you!"

If you're a repeat offender, then we certainly consider that, but the nature of your violations will count. If one of them is for, say, evading the language filter 2 years ago and another is for the billionth time you've put a thread in the wrong forum after being told over and over, you're not going to be as likely to get a Board Ban, you know what I mean?

More importantly, if you get Strike One now and then a year and a half from now, you get a warning, we're going to be aware of your posting history in the interim and we will consider it. If you're a good poster in general, then it will be less likely that we'll push for Read-Only Access or a Board Ban. If you're a weak poster who does a lot of post-padding, derailing and present poor overall contribution to the board, BOOM, you're gone.

See what I mean?
DEAN GARRETT!!!
tsherkin
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#98 Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Th
Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:56 am by Sofia

Can I just confirm that a "warning" is the same as a "strike"?
Sofia

RealGM
And1: 3,485
Location: Formerly Mats272-Goat until I found Sofia The First...

Post#99 New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Thread
Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:22 am by tsherkin

Mats272-GOAT wrote:Can I just confirm that a "warning" is the same as a "strike"?

If that warning is officially logged in your profile and not just a behind-the-scenes PM, then absolutely.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
DEAN GARRETT!!!
tsherkin
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#100 Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Th
Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:44 am by BadMofoPimp

I am curious. Without naming names because I don't care who, but has anyone been banned with the new rules thus far?

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 3,958

Post#101 New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Thread
Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:47 am by tsherkin

Lots of people have run into trouble with the new rules, it's not really something appropriate for discussion with other posters, though.

DEAN GARRETT!!!
tsherkin
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#102 Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Th
Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:02 pm by Hangtime84

Beginning of the season mods are gonna have to put a lot of work in, but this board will much more enjoyable of a read come all-star break :)
Trader_Joe wrote:Fans expectations are often much different than the general consensus/reality.
I thought you meant they disappointed your own or general expectations.
Hangtime84

RealGM
And1: 473

Post#103 Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Th
Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:03 pm by putyouonthegame

i don't have a problem with rules on a website.

but i always found realgm policies to be on the stricter side. Some of the mods can get power hungry very easily and quickly. Why is that?
DEEP3CL wrote:All you haters better celebrate now, cause it won't last. When it starts to click this board will be crickets like it was in 2009 and 2010 on a nightly basis.
putyouonthegame
Senior
And1: 20

Post#104 Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Th
Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:22 am by GameTag

Question to the Mods

What if someone wants/provides an unauthorized licensed live streaming link? I assume this is prohibited? What if someone requests and/or provides a link to one on RealGM? Not saying I'm doing this, but just in general. Some people have mentioned this before on this board but so just seeing RealGM Policy.
GameTag
Sophomore
And1: 21

Post#105 Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Th
Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:37 am by BadMofoPimp

Links to streams is not allowed as Streams are supposed to be illegal. Also, we are supposed to not mention the websites that host streams either. But, I do see people name the most popular website that provides streams often. That one I have never used. lol.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 3,958

Post#106 Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Th
Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:15 pm by sportjames23

tsherkin wrote:Lots of people have run into trouble with the new rules, it's not really something appropriate for discussion with other posters, though.

LOL, the man ain't joking, right tsherkin? :lol:

Wish I would have paid attention to this thread earlier. :wink:
sportjames23
Bench Warmer
And1: 22

Post#107 Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Th
Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:17 pm by sportjames23

putyouonthegame wrote:i don't have a problem with rules on a website.

but i always found realgm policies to be on the stricter side. Some of the mods can get power hungry very easily and quickly. Why is that?

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/abso ... utely.html

*runs out the thread*
sportjames23
Bench Warmer
And1: 22

Post#108 Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Th
Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:06 pm by BrotherDave

The Forum rules read like the Obamacare Bill. I think it would behoove the board greatly if it was much more concise and less vague. For example, a clear and objective definition of "derailment" would be great b/c mods seem all over the place with what is a derailing post/gif.

Like in terms of gifs, you say you want to put a stop to the "U Mad and the others" but "the others" is pretty open to interpretation.

For example,
I got warned once for posting a gif of Tracy Morgan passionately saying "no" repeatedly. I could have just posted "no, a thousand times no" but I felt like Mr Morgan summed up my opinion better than words could have and much more comically. The mod I quoted (which was really my first mistake b/c you have to really tread softly around mods I have thusly learned) thought I was baiting him and derailing the thread when all I was trying to do was express my disagreement of his opinion in a humorous and accurate fashion.

I honestly couldn't understand the plethora of "violations" he cited me for b/c the rules were so cluttered, vague, and open for interpretation.
I thought Royce White was worth a late 1st round/early 2nd pick by the worst team in NBA history.
BrotherDave

General Manager
And1: 1,096

Post#109 Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Th
Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:49 pm by putyouonthegame

this forum has become a joke seriously..

topics getting locked for no reason...trolling on every single post.

and every week, more rules are being enforced..

damn right a joke.
DEEP3CL wrote:All you haters better celebrate now, cause it won't last. When it starts to click this board will be crickets like it was in 2009 and 2010 on a nightly basis.
putyouonthegame
Senior
And1: 20

Post#110 Re: New General NBA Forum Policy Questions Th
Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:25 am by tsherkin

Topics do not get locked without reason. The #1 reason a thread gets locked is that it was posted in the wrong forum, usually belonging to the PC Board and rather obviously at that.

Beyond incorrect forum location, the next big one I see is an obvious bait of a fanbase, which is a ne ne on the forums. The GB has a lot of low-quality posters, many of whom are outright trolls there to do nothing but cause trouble, so it should hardly come as a surprise that the rules there are more strict. It is unfortunate that we have to be so aggressive in our approach as mods, since there are plenty of other boards on RealGM where this is not the case, but it is necessary.

Meantime, in response to the Tracy Morgan post, one-off responses like that aren't just breaking GIF policy, they are essentially post pads that do not contribute meaningfully to the conversation. You want to open up with "no, a thousand times no," then that's great, but unless you back it up with substance, you're likely to run into some trouble, at least on the GB.

DEAN GARRETT!!!
tsherkin
Global Mod
Global Mod

PreviousNext

Return to The General Board