Spurs window closed?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Re: Spurs window closed? 

Post#61 » by spearsy23 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:27 pm

People are idiots. The team that went up 2-0 in the conference finals wasn't a legit title contender? Were you saying the same thing when they'd won 10 in a row in the playoffs? What the hell are you guys smoking? When will I stop asking rhetorical questions?

1 week before the finals started the Spurs were going to sweep the Thunder and handle Miami in 5, that's what EVERYBODY on the board was saying, now there's some type of revisionist history saying they weren't even a threat. This crap is ridiculous. Go ahead, count them out, then be shocked when they sweep their first round opponent and handle LA/OKC in 5-6 games. Do I think they're better than LA or my Thunder? Hell no, but at what point do you stop being surprised when a great team beats another great team? Let's use the Manu and Duncan are too old crap to excuse ridiculous amounts of naivety, by the same token a team with Nash, Kobe, Gasol, and Artest is positively senile. Get out the depends, the Western conference playoffs are going to be held in a goddamn nursing home this year.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
jowglenn
General Manager
And1: 2,384

Post#62 » by jowglenn » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:43 pm

Seriously... have we not learned our lesson?

EVERY year since, what, 2006, people ask, "Are the Spurs finally done? Too over the hill now? Is their window closed?"

EVERY year.

And every year so far, they've been wrong.

As long as Tim Duncan and Gregg Popovich are there, I've learned better than to discount the Spurs.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,189

Post#63 » by LAKESHOW » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:47 pm

as LAKERs history can attest to. The road to the championship begins in the middle. That is the bottom line for the spurs as well.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
Super Selby
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#64 » by Super Selby » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:18 pm

People have been asking since 2007 if the Spurs window as title contenders was closed. And since then they have had continual playoff chokes and disappointments while getting shamelessly dismantled out of the playoffs each and every time. Whether it was the Lakers sonning them in 08, Pops getting outcoached vs the Suns/Grizz in 09+10 or showing they're nowhere near the level of OKC. So is there window really closed? Of course it is
justinandimcool
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,097

Post#65 » by justinandimcool » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:24 pm

Super Selby wrote:People have been asking since 2007 if the Spurs window as title contenders was closed. And since then they have had continual playoff chokes and disappointments while getting shamelessly dismantled out of the playoffs each and every time. Whether it was the Lakers sonning them in 08, Pops getting outcoached vs the Suns/Grizz in 09+10 or showing they're nowhere near the level of OKC. So is there window really closed? Of course it is

While I almost agree that the championship window is closed (pending on Kawhi's improvement this year and if injuries can be staved off again), it sounds ridiculous to actually say it because the Spurs still have a larger chance of winning a title than New Jersey, New York, Memphis, LAC, and Chicago in its current Roseless state---teams that people are riding high on. If we're shutting the Spurs window, are we even opening the other windows in the first place? Did those other teams even have a window built? :lol:
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,964

Post#66 » by Sedale Threatt » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:28 pm

I think Rasho has it right. The Spurs are still a very, very dangerous team, but a lot of things out of their control are going to have to go right for them to win again.
Prop
Veteran
And1: 34

Post#67 » by Prop » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:30 pm

okay, so there's been a lot of people over the past 5 years that have said the spurs' window has closed (aka. they might be good but they ain't winning the title).

but somehow they've been proving those people wrong by not...winning...the title? :-?

druggas
Head Coach
And1: 5,145

Post#68 » by druggas » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:39 pm

The Spurs are a regular season champ but falter in the play-offs. Why? They have never addressed their glaring weakness since Robinson retired. Play-offs are where teams can exploit each others weaknesses and that's when San Antone gets a trip to the fishing hole.

Also, Pop should get the blame here too! He knows what his team needs, but they still don't address it.
whocurrz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,454

Post#69 » by whocurrz » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:47 pm

Depending on who they match up with in the playoffs, Spurs are my pick to win the West this year if they're healthy and Splitter can make nice strides. I think they match up pretty well with LAL and could beat OKC possibly this time around, but could also see a team like the Nuggets taking them out early.

I think they're a team that could definitely upset LAL if Splitter improves.

Don't know if they can beat the Heat though.
Jarret Jack: “I brought one of my best suits. But looking down at this jersey, it’s just a sense of pride I don’t think I’ve ever felt as a professional. … Nothing in my closet is better than what I have on now."
Joseph17
RealGM
And1: 529

Post#70 » by Joseph17 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:26 pm

They are basically the 4th best team in the NBA. They have no chance unless Durant, Lebron, and Dwight all get injured
Joseph17
RealGM

Post#71 » by Joseph17 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:27 pm

druggas wrote:The Spurs are a regular season champ but falter in the play-offs. Why? They have never addressed their glaring weakness since Robinson retired. Play-offs are where teams can exploit each others weaknesses and that's when San Antone gets a trip to the fishing hole.

Also, Pop should get the blame here too! He knows what his team needs, but they still don't address it.

Pop isn't the gm. The Spurs simply aren't talented enough to win it.
Spurtatcus
Starter
And1: 29

Post#72 » by Spurtatcus » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:29 pm

Joseph17 wrote:They are basically the 4th best team in the NBA. They have no chance unless Durant, Lebron, and Dwight all get injured

Aside from LAL and OKC, who is better? The Grizzlies? The Mavericks? The team the Spurs swept in the playoffs? :lol:
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#73 » by spearsy23 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:20 pm

Spurtatcus wrote:
Joseph17 wrote:They are basically the 4th best team in the NBA. They have no chance unless Durant, Lebron, and Dwight all get injured

Aside from LAL and OKC, who is better? The Grizzlies? The Mavericks? The team the Spurs swept in the playoffs? :lol:

The defending champions?
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
Glen20
Banned User
And1: 10

Post#74 » by Glen20 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:05 pm

Spurtatcus wrote:

miami and boston :lol:
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#75 » by Thugger HBC » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:11 pm

Hire Scott Layden, and that door will officially close.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,466

Post#76 » by Blame Rasho » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:58 pm

druggas wrote:The Spurs are a regular season champ but falter in the play-offs. Why? They have never addressed their glaring weakness since Robinson retired. Play-offs are where teams can exploit each others weaknesses and that's when San Antone gets a trip to the fishing hole.

Why did we lose? Well because of Durant being a bad ass... not because we didn't have a David Robinson type player who back ten years ago contributed to an amazing 7/7 production, but you are free to make a fool out of yourself in thinking that that was the reason we lost. I know this might be really out of the box thinking for some like you, but realize that the team that has the best player playing for them, usually wins a series. We don't have the best player for us now, we have to rely on the overall sum of it parts to beat teams.
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,143

Post#77 » by Edrees » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:22 am

They weren't contenders 3 and 4 years ago, but IMO they've been contenders again for the past 2 years including this year. So that window can open and close, its not like it gets bolted down with rivets.
Donald Kaufman
General Manager
And1: 601

Post#78 » by Donald Kaufman » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:43 am

We were 2 wins short of a finals appearance. How is the window closed?
lodom7
Senior
And1: 6

Post#79 » by lodom7 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:20 am

Well, to be fair, last year was a perfect year for the Spurs, shortened season, good chemistry, incredible performances, peaking at the right time and yet they still came up short, even if it was only by 2 games they still came up short. They can be a very good team next year but they won't be a legit contender unless they get some size inside to compete with the likes of the Lakers
Joseph17
RealGM

Post#80 » by Joseph17 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:21 am

Spurtatcus wrote:

Did you ever hear of the Miami Heat?

Return to The General Board