Lets talk about Alexey Shved

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

gethigh
Banned User
And1: 70

Re: Lets talk about Alexey Shved 

Post#81 » by gethigh » Mon Dec 3, 2012 7:00 am

I'm down. Lets talk about Alexey Shved.

Underrated player. Why isn't he starting over Ridnour?
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#82 » by AQuintus » Mon Dec 3, 2012 7:03 am

BVPN wrote:Why is he not starting at SG yet.

Because of Rick Adelman. Rubio didn't even get the starting nod until his 11th game, and Rubio's a better player and was a lottery pick vs an undrafted free agent.

gethigh wrote:I'm down. Lets talk about Alexey Shved.

???
Probably because Ridnour is our starting PG and Shved is a SG.
BVPN
Sixth Man
And1: 292

Post#83 » by BVPN » Mon Dec 3, 2012 7:05 am

AQuintus wrote:

Because of Rick Adelman. Rubio didn't even get the starting nod until his 11th game, and Rubio's a better player and was a lottery pick vs an undrafted free agent.

Well ok, but by that logic who the hell is Malcolm Lee??
DFC Pride

gethigh
Banned User
And1: 70

Post#84 » by gethigh » Mon Dec 3, 2012 7:17 am

AQuintus wrote:

gethigh wrote:I'm down. Lets talk about Alexey Shved.

???
Probably because Ridnour is our starting PG and Shved is a SG.

yea my bad, I meant why isn't he starting over Barea or whoever you plug into the SG spot. My head doesn't feel like it's attached to my body.

anyway. when Rubio comes back, Rubio/Shved/AK47/Love/Pek?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,569

Post#85 » by Klomp » Mon Dec 3, 2012 7:19 am

BVPN wrote:
AQuintus wrote:

Someone who already has a year of experience in Adelman's system.

Additionally, if we started Shved, our bench would be Lakers-level bad. We are keeping Shved on the bench so far like Popovich keeps Ginobili on the bench to start. Shved gets major minutes in crunch time, that's what counts.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
kosarev
Freshman
And1: 27

Post#86 » by kosarev » Mon Dec 3, 2012 7:24 am

BVPN wrote:
AQuintus wrote:

Compared to Ridnour, who is a revolving door on the defensive end, and Barea, who has match-up problems against middle schoolers the guy looks like GOAT defender.
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#87 » by AQuintus » Mon Dec 3, 2012 7:26 am

BVPN wrote:
AQuintus wrote:

A 2nd year player, and apparently that's enough seniority to get the start in Adelman's book.

Edit:

Either way, a lot of fans (including myself) were really upset with Rick for keeping Ricky on the bench to start the year last year, but I'm perfectly OK with Shved on the bench this year because he makes a really good 6th man and our bench would suck terribly without him.
Guy986
RealGM
And1: 647

Post#88 » by Guy986 » Mon Dec 3, 2012 7:31 am

I wanted the rockets to sign this guy before the harden trade.
Ikerd
Freshman
And1: 45

Post#89 » by Ikerd » Mon Dec 3, 2012 6:07 pm

Budinger's injury forced Adelman's hand this season. Shved is already getting 30+ minutes including heavy 4th quarter ballhandling duties. When Rubio returns, I would expect Adelman to slide Ridnour over into the starting SG spot and keep Shved as a 6th man.

Love Shved's confidence and aggressiveness so far. If his shooting percentage continues to improve from deep, perhaps we won't see so many "Trade Derrick Williams for Any Shooting Guard With A Pulse" ideas.
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,834

Post#90 » by nykballa2k4 » Mon Dec 3, 2012 6:21 pm

gethigh wrote:
yea my bad, I meant why isn't he starting over Barea or whoever you plug into the SG spot. My head doesn't feel like it's attached to my body.

anyway. when Rubio comes back, Rubio/Shved/AK47/Love/Pek?

That's racist!

All I gotta say is after those highlights Mike D'Antoni is probably offering vital organs for that kid.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
What do you think about @kporzee? Karl-Anthony Towns: PorzinGOD does not care or need my opinion for he is a higher life form then all of us.
Sn0wman
Banned User
And1: 5,803

Post#91 » by Sn0wman » Mon Dec 3, 2012 6:25 pm

Give him a couple of more seasons and he'll be legit
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,496

Post#92 » by HornetJail » Mon Dec 3, 2012 6:30 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HifNQNxRipM[/youtube] :lol:
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,537

Post#93 » by ComboGuardCity » Mon Dec 3, 2012 6:51 pm

He's been a real surprise thus far. However, he's already 24 years old. I can see him making a few more strides, but I doubt he ever reaches an all star level. Still an excellent pick up.
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,718

Post#94 » by Ayt » Mon Dec 3, 2012 7:09 pm

ComboGuardCity wrote:He's been a real surprise thus far. However, he's already 24 years old. I can see him making a few more strides, but I doubt he ever reaches an all star level. Still an excellent pick up.

This type of thinking really doesn't apply all that well to international players. They can often make major strides after their first season in the NBA even if they are older than Shved.
Chronz
Starter
And1: 467

Post#95 » by Chronz » Mon Dec 3, 2012 8:25 pm

Only seen abit (5games) of him but he seems to have a good fundamental stance when exploding on his first dribble.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#96 » by Klomp » Tue Dec 4, 2012 10:35 am

It seems that being in the starting five for the Wolves isn't a big deal. Their thinking is that Shved is too valuable late in games to use him up in the opening minutes.

Shved, who has 84 fourth- quarter points, has emerged as the Wolves' top offensive threat off the bench, and Adelman wants to develop him in that valuable role when the starters are struggling.

"He's a guy we really rely on off the bench," Adelman said after Monday's practice. "He's shown us what he can do in the fourth quarter. We like to have the ball in his hands, and his decision-making has been pretty good. He finds people."

Adelman has another motive for giving quality minutes to Shved, who played the entire fourth quarter Friday in the Wolves' win over Milwaukee, scoring 10 of his 16 points in the period.

Shved and Ricky Rubio have been paired together occasionally in scrimmages since Rubio started practicing with the team Sunday. With Brandon Roy and Chase Budinger sidelined by knee injuries, Adelman has visions of a Rubio-Shved backcourt tandem once Rubio is healthy enough to play.

Giving Shved more work in the fourth quarter could be Adelman's way of preparing the Russian native to play with one of the NBA's top playmakers.

"Ricky is a very smart player," Shved said. "Everybody around him plays much better."

Shved, averaging 10.4 points and 3.7 assists, might be asked to think more about his own shot selection in the coming weeks. The Wolves learned last season that teammates get good looks at the basket when Rubio is on the floor, and Adelman wants Shved to benefit from that sharp court vision.

"Right now, he's concentrating more on trying to find people instead of looking for his shot," Adelman said of Shved. "As time moves on, he'll get into more of a comfortable zone on when to take shots and when to pass. He's a much better shooter than he's shown at this point."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_22117527/
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#97 » by Klomp » Tue Dec 4, 2012 10:40 am

Shved's future there is being overlooked by some Wolves followers who have clamored in recent years for the team to obtain a bona fide shooting guard. That guy is Shved, whom the team signed to a three-year, $10 million contract last summer.

"I think he will be," Adelman said when asked if Shved is the long-term answer at the shooting-guard spot. "I think he's a much better shooter than he has shown to this point. If he plays with Ricky, he'll get open shots and he'll knock those down. We've seen it time after time in practice: He makes shots. I think he'll become more of a solid shooter.

"What's good about him is you've seen his playmaking ability, too. He gives you both things."

With the Wolves headed to Philadelphia and Boston for games Tuesday and Wednesday, Rubio's return still probably is eight days away and Adelman said he prefers to bring Shved's scoring and energy off the bench alongside J.J. Barea for now rather than promote him to a starter role.

"All my career, I'm playing from the bench," Shved said. "It's important who starts the game, but it's more important who finish the game. I like playing from the bench."

But make no mistake: Rubio and Shved will play together soon -- and a lot -- in what could become one of the league's most dynamic, entertaining backcourts.

"We will see in the future," Shved said with a smile when asked how his game will fit with Rubio's. "He's very smart player. He know when he shoot, when he can give pass. He can give me pass for three-point shot. We will see how we play the next games. Right now, we play great. With Ricky, we play much, much better."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/181939091.html

NY2TheBay
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#98 » by NY2TheBay » Wed Dec 5, 2012 12:31 am

Ive watched him twice thus far this season and like his game a lot. He is very smooth and has great fundamentals.

Not so sure how he is defensively, he'll need to put on some muscle obviously.

It will be fun to watch him in rubio together.

OH, and I just picked him up on my fantasy team.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#99 » by Klomp » Wed Dec 5, 2012 2:14 am

Another 17 pts on 5-8 shooting (4-7 3s), along with 3 rebounds and 4 assists in 29:27

Jase
RealGM
And1: 158

Post#100 » by Jase » Wed Dec 5, 2012 2:25 am

I'm a fan of the guy. He has grit, and he's already shown some really nice improvements from the beginning of the season. I worry about his shot a little, but I get the feeling that it will come in time. With Bud and Roy out with injury, the SG spot is all Shved's to control.
"A winner listens. A loser just waits until it's their turn to talk."

Return to The General Board