Lets talk about Alexey Shved

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,983

Re: Lets talk about Alexey Shved 

Post#101 » by UGA Hayes » Wed Dec 5, 2012 2:28 am

He has a nice feel for the game. I always feel like the international guys with the best chance to translate their skills are the ones who are good ballhandlers like Shved. Those so much more spacing in the NBA to take advantage of that skill.
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,735

Post#102 » by Ayt » Wed Dec 5, 2012 2:42 am

Jase wrote:I'm a fan of the guy. He has grit, and he's already shown some really nice improvements from the beginning of the season. I worry about his shot a little, but I get the feeling that it will come in time. With Bud and Roy out with injury, the SG spot is all Shved's to control.

.447/.417 the last 9 games.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,055

Post#103 » by MrBigShot » Wed Dec 5, 2012 2:47 am

^Word. He already seems like a pretty good shooter.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
Ganji
Analyst
And1: 1,912

Post#104 » by Ganji » Wed Dec 5, 2012 2:53 am

man, i am still can't believe what a great find it was by T-Wolfs scouts... I can't but wonder, what else NBA scouts have missed in europe.
Tekkenlaw
Starter
And1: 39

Post#105 » by Tekkenlaw » Wed Dec 5, 2012 3:25 am

Shved is the type of player that can get to the rim at will due to his elite ball handling, that's very rare for a guy his size and it's going to make him an extremely effective NBA player.
Ganji wrote:man, i am still can't believe what a great find it was by T-Wolfs scouts... I can't but wonder, what else NBA scouts have missed in europe.

I don't want to disparage Kahn or the Timberwolve's scouts for getting him, but I think he probably came for Rubio first and foremost, there had to have been a lot of teams with interest.
Piecake
Assistant Coach
And1: 264

Post#106 » by Piecake » Wed Dec 5, 2012 3:28 am

Tekkenlaw wrote:Shved is the type of player that can get to the rim at will due to his elite ball handling, that's very rare for a guy his size and it's going to make him an extremely effective NBA player.
Ganji wrote:man, i am still can't believe what a great find it was by T-Wolfs scouts... I can't but wonder, what else NBA scouts have missed in europe.

I don't want to disparage Kahn or the Timberwolve's scouts for getting him, but I think he probably came for Rubio first and foremost, there had to have been a lot of teams with interest.

He came for playing time. And well, the wolves could offer a lot of playing time
[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#107 » by [RCG] » Wed Dec 5, 2012 4:28 am

Shved is a beast. I can't wait to see him with Rubio & Kirilenko. Wow.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
allweneedisLOVE
Banned User
And1: 26

Post#108 » by allweneedisLOVE » Wed Dec 5, 2012 4:30 am

He good.
MNister89
Sophomore
And1: 7

Post#109 » by MNister89 » Wed Dec 5, 2012 4:48 am

Piecake wrote:
Tekkenlaw wrote:Shved is the type of player that can get to the rim at will due to his elite ball handling, that's very rare for a guy his size and it's going to make him an extremely effective NBA player.

He came for playing time. And well, the wolves could offer a lot of playing time

He came for a lot of reasons, including the potential of playing time but that is far from only reason. I think what really led him to MN is that Rubio and Pekovic, two guys who like Shved were known throughout Europe as cult-like figures both found success with the Wolves. So that probably helped convince him. I'm not sure about the playing time theory though, because at this point we had just traded for Budinger and had signed Roy. Also Adelman is notorious for hating rookies and refusing to play them. Also AK47 signed just a couple days after Shved so he probably at least told Alexey he was seriously considering the Wolves, which probably gave even more incentive.

I remember in the days before Shved signed - and a few weeks prior to him really showng his potential in the Olympics - it seemed like their was only lukewarm interest in him around the NBA. I recall the Cavaliers as being one team that openly coveted him and I think the Grizzlies as well. It's possible teams were secretly trying to acquire him and staying quiet to prevent others from joining the competition but that seems far-fetched. He came to MN because the Wolves are going to really good, really soon IMO. And they had need for guard with offensive upside and outside shooting, but he wasn't promised any playing time that we can be sure of unless Adelman has grown soft with age.

Point is, it's not fair or accurate to suggest that Shved only came to Minnesota for playing time b/c when he signed Budinger wasn't hurt, Roy was still capable of playing and Barea/Ridnour/Lee all were still options in the back-court for Adelman. People just can't seem to give David Kahn credit for anything. Yes he might be worst GM ever when it comes to drafts but the guy has a few tremendous acquisitions/trades that were undeniably clever and merit praise. Shved is one of them as is Kirilenko. I'm thinking some scouts and GMs are going to be in hot water, or already are, for failing to notice that there were two highly impactful players - one a proven commodity, the other a high-upside prospect with serious talent - hiding in plain sight somewhere in Russia. Not handing out guaranteed contracts to average NBA players (Courtney Lee, Jordan Hill etc) as most ESPN and national media pundits suggested the Wolves should is proving genius by Kahn as he clearly saw tremendous value in the two Russians. If the Wolves make the playoffs and get contributions from Shved, AK, Budinger, Cunningham and even possibly still Brandon Roy, David Kahn should win GM of the Year. He won't because he's David Kahn but heck even if we don't make it and Shved proves a huge part of out future - as do AK and cunningham - he should win in a landslide. Lakers GM did squat and basically just has to answer the phone and ask Kobe what he wants the team to look like. Nobody else went after these guys as earnestly or creatively, or if they did it was only after other options failed or without enough conviction. The Russians and Cunningham have been nothing short of revelations in the young season. Budinger too was playing excellent ball before he got hurt.

To think that the Nets barely even glanced at Kirilenko - who only left the NBA due to the lockout and showed abroad that he still is an awesome world-class player - with their new Russian owner is hilarious. Or how about the Raptors giving Landry Fields all that cash with AK and Shved both available!!!! Or the Celtics committing to a future of Jeff Green as your 3/4 man when AK47 is ten times the player he will ever be!! The rest of the NBA was completely KAHNED and it needs to be acknowledged.
NikolaPekovic
Rookie
And1: 344

Post#110 » by NikolaPekovic » Wed Dec 5, 2012 5:05 am

Shved said after he signed the reason why he came is because minnesota is a young,ambitious, talented team.

Adelman was also a major factor.

He signed before kirkilenko did so that was not a factor. although alexey already being here was a factor in kirilenko signing here as well. Andrei said other teams offered him more money than we did (20 mil 2 yrs) but he liked our team and also had alot of respect for adelman for his sac town days,
JunkYardSubs
General Manager
And1: 149

Post#111 » by JunkYardSubs » Wed Dec 5, 2012 6:57 am

Man once that starting lineup is healthy, Wolves will be absolutely filthy.

Rubio/Shved/Ak47/Love/Pek is going to challenge any team

Not a horrible bench either - JJ/Rindour/Williams/Budinger when healthy

If they're completely healthy and in the playoff picture... WATCH OUT
Part-time Lover
Senior
And1: 58

Post#112 » by Part-time Lover » Wed Dec 5, 2012 7:11 am

I don't know if this was raised up but how about keeping Shved on the bench especially when Rubio is back?

He can have Manu Ginobili's role (which is pretty damn similar considering they put the ball on the floor, can facilitate, elite shooters, clutch and can play defense). Similar to Ginobili, Shved needs the ball in his hands to be effective therefore if he was playing with Rubio then they would have to share the ball.

But then again, Wade and Lebron play well together and we thought that they couldn't coexist. All I know is the TWolves are looking elite.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,313

Post#113 » by Mattya » Wed Dec 5, 2012 7:24 am

Sexy Alexey
styLesdavis
Rookie
And1: 554

Post#114 » by styLesdavis » Wed Dec 5, 2012 8:00 am

The point is that there were always great point guards from Europe but
in the past they had their problems in adjusting to the nba game.

Europe guards nowadays are a bit different.
In the past their main strength was the amazing court vision (paired
with less athleticism).

When you take a look at todays best european point guards they are
way different then players like Jasikevicius, Papaloukas or Diamantidis.

Rubio is a high speed flash player, Shved is flashy too but can hit every shot
from anywhere on the court.
Someone like Milos Teodosic is more like the "old" generation. He has a great court
vision too but is not as active on the defensive end as Rubio and some of his
decisions are at best questionable.
ratul
General Manager
And1: 4,402

Post#115 » by ratul » Wed Dec 5, 2012 8:10 am

I saw him play live in the olympics and he was a beast there too - he just eats up the court as a point guard in terms of size. Decent outside shot and can outpass people because of his height.
lilojmayo
Veteran
And1: 356

Post#116 » by lilojmayo » Wed Dec 5, 2012 12:07 pm

JunkYardSubs wrote:Man once that starting lineup is healthy, Wolves will be absolutely filthy.

Rubio/Shved/Ak47/Love/Pek is going to challenge any team

Not a horrible bench either - JJ/Rindour/Williams/Budinger when healthy

If they're completely healthy and in the playoff picture... WATCH OUT

Shved the real deal imo. He is really really really good. and only 24 years old. The guy can ball
OJ Mayo , Michael Jordan , Allen Iverson.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,809

Post#117 » by Klomp » Wed Dec 5, 2012 3:21 pm

Part-time Lover wrote:I don't know if this was raised up but how about keeping Shved on the bench especially when Rubio is back?

He can have Manu Ginobili's role (which is pretty damn similar considering they put the ball on the floor, can facilitate, elite shooters, clutch and can play defense). Similar to Ginobili, Shved needs the ball in his hands to be effective therefore if he was playing with Rubio then they would have to share the ball.

But then again, Wade and Lebron play well together and we thought that they couldn't coexist. All I know is the TWolves are looking elite.

It's been considered. I think we'll see it early, at least until Minnesota gets more of its hurt guys back.

However, I have very little doubt that they'll work well together, but it's to better balance out the two units. Both guys will likely play together through most of the 4th.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,882

Post#118 » by theGreatRC » Wed Dec 5, 2012 3:24 pm

Part-time Lover wrote:I don't know if this was raised up but how about keeping Shved on the bench especially when Rubio is back?

The Wolves will keep Shved coming off the bench to provide that spark, but you will see him close out games at the 2 spot with Rubio and the starting lineup.
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
tranjSAIC
Banned User
And1: 527

Post#119 » by tranjSAIC » Wed Dec 5, 2012 4:44 pm

Jase wrote:With Bud and Roy out with injury, the SG spot is all Shved's to control.

How long is Bud out? Plus isn't he more of a 3 with some 2 guard skills? Also I think Roy is completely done. You guys need a legit 2 guard to be a real contender. I think Shved will eventually become that though, hopefully he works on his body some more this offseason.
NikolaPekovic
Rookie
And1: 344

Post#120 » by NikolaPekovic » Wed Dec 5, 2012 5:27 pm

tranjSAIC wrote:
Jase wrote:With Bud and Roy out with injury, the SG spot is all Shved's to control.

How long is Bud out? Plus isn't he more of a 3 with some 2 guard skills? Also I think Roy is completely done. You guys need a legit 2 guard to be a real contender. I think Shved will eventually become that though, hopefully he works on his body some more this offseason.

we still need another two.

I think the general idea right now is to get reddick(lol), courtney lee, or afflalo to be that token starter at the two, while shved can come and dominate off the bench and close out games. but u never know what david khan is gonna do.

then if we get rubio and kluv going and in good game shape i think we have a real dangerous team.

Return to The General Board