The OFFICIAL Rookie impressions thread

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

King d
Banned User
And1: 40

Re: The OFFICIAL Rookie impressions thread 

Post#1261 » by King d » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:44 am

Sabzi wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:Anthony Davis' per 36 numbers would have to come way down for anyone else to have a shot at rookie of the year. They will certainly drop, but he could finish over 20+ PER and with a double double easily.

I dunno, it seems like people always jump all over the high volume guys, but Anthony Davis' small sample is overwhelmingly more impressive than anything else thus far.

This. The other rookies will need a miracle (injury) to catch Davis production.

We'll see, I think Davis will not win ROY, Too raw offensively and not a great defender yet
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,085
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#1262 » by NO-KG-AI » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:52 am

King d wrote:
Sabzi wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:Anthony Davis' per 36 numbers would have to come way down for anyone else to have a shot at rookie of the year. They will certainly drop, but he could finish over 20+ PER and with a double double easily.

I dunno, it seems like people always jump all over the high volume guys, but Anthony Davis' small sample is overwhelmingly more impressive than anything else thus far.

This. The other rookies will need a miracle (injury) to catch Davis production.

We'll see, I think Davis will not win ROY, Too raw offensively and not a great defender yet

Lolwut?
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1263 » by NO-KG-AI » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:54 am

I will also say I'm kind of jealous, because I wanted Lillard so bad instead of Austin Rivers. Even wanted Drummond at the spot, but I'd be pantless during every game if we snagged Davis and Lillard. Oh well, guess I can't be too greedy.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
King d
Banned User

Post#1264 » by King d » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:57 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:
Lolwut?

What part is so funny?
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1265 » by NO-KG-AI » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:26 am

All of it.
King d
Banned User

Post#1266 » by King d » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:42 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:All of it.

Goldtop
Banned User
And1: 165

Post#1267 » by Goldtop » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:10 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:I will also say I'm kind of jealous, because I wanted Lillard so bad instead of Austin Rivers. Even wanted Drummond at the spot, but I'd be pantless during every game if we snagged Davis and Lillard. Oh well, guess I can't be too greedy.

If we didn't take Drummond, and you guys did at 10, Davis/Drummond frontcourt?.... :o
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1268 » by NO-KG-AI » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:19 am

I know right... I figured that Drummond was a risk, but we needed a big injection of talent, and Anthony Davis would be the one with all the pressure and expectations. Would love that. I hope Rivers turns it around, I know it's early, but... SMH. Makes me question these guys drafting skills.
Cro_Ruption
Sixth Man
And1: 93

Post#1269 » by Cro_Ruption » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:33 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:I know right... I figured that Drummond was a risk, but we needed a big injection of talent, and Anthony Davis would be the one with all the pressure and expectations. Would love that. I hope Rivers turns it around, I know it's early, but... SMH. Makes me question these guys drafting skills.

lillard and davis would not be fair

but how could they have had that? trade up to 6th?
SharoneWright wrote:I would not trade Bargs for Roy.

Monster or no.

i said it. And I live in a flame retardent suit.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,166

Post#1270 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:37 am

Cro_Ruption wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:I know right... I figured that Drummond was a risk, but we needed a big injection of talent, and Anthony Davis would be the one with all the pressure and expectations. Would love that. I hope Rivers turns it around, I know it's early, but... SMH. Makes me question these guys drafting skills.

Blazers go Drummond, Pistons go Leonard?
detroitKG
RealGM
And1: 5,509

Post#1271 » by detroitKG » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:43 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvgRvr4GZMM&feature=g-u-u[/youtube]

Dre with the steal and the slam. Perfect way to end that first win.
Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,324

Post#1272 » by Shem » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:56 am

Cro_Ruption wrote:

They ain't no way Neil Olshey was going to give up that pick. He had his eye on Lillard well before he was ever hired to be the Blazers GM. Read this if you doubt me:

Ten months ago, when Neil Olshey was still the Clippers general manager, he flew to an unlikely college in a small city in Utah to see a point guard he didn't need. The Clippers had one of the best point guards in the NBA (Chris Paul), one of the best back-ups (Mo Williams) and one of the most promising prospects (Eric Bledsoe). They even had a veteran point playing off the ball (Chauncey Billups). "But things happen quickly in our league," Olshey said. "You never know what changes will be made." Olshey was one of many scouts who made the pilgrimage to Ogden, Utah, and the Dee Events Center at Weber State, a mid-major school within the Big Sky Conference. Everyone there agreed that Damian Lillard was a first-round pick. "What we wanted to find out," Olshey said, "is if he'd made the jump to franchise-caliber point guard."

In the first week of June, Olshey left the Clippers, a team stocked with point guards but devoid of prominent draft picks, for the Trail Blazers, who had no reliable point guard but two lottery picks. During his interview with Blazers owner Paul Allen, Olshey talked about Lillard almost as much as himself. "It was basically the whole interview," Olshey said. "The biggest need was clearly point guard and Damian was the guy. There was no question he was the guy." The Blazers wanted to draft him at No. 11, but feared, for good reason, that he would be gone, so they snagged him sixth.

The whole article is here:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/w ... index.html
April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1273 » by NO-KG-AI » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:41 am

I just meant if Lillard dropped to us, which was my dream draft scenario since before we had the number 1 pick. I was praying to pick number 1 and another in the top 5 and come away with Davis/Drummond or Davis/Lillard.
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#1274 » by Blkbrd671 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:02 am

BeasleyTheBeast wrote:Kyle Singler is looking good out there. Big fan of him since his Senior Highschool Days

He had a great game, but almost every single game he's doing something that you even the casual fan will notice. starting understand when they say "if gives you reason's to stay on the floor"
Bskey
Veteran
And1: 144

Post#1275 » by Bskey » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:04 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:I just meant if Lillard dropped to us, which was my dream draft scenario since before we had the number 1 pick. I was praying to pick number 1 and another in the top 5 and come away with Davis/Drummond or Davis/Lillard.

Being a Blazer fan I was hoping for Lillard/Drummond (obviously not expecting Davis to drop past 1).

I'm pretty happy with Leonard though, there were better players now but he is insanely athletic and has a pretty good work ethic. He may not always make the right decisions but his intentions are clear, with experience and good coaching he will get pretty damn good I think. Plus he's got an attitude on the court which is always nice for big men. Leonard is a project, but one that could pay off a few years from now. Not that I think he will be better than Drummond.
Cro_Ruption
Sixth Man
And1: 93

Post#1276 » by Cro_Ruption » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:12 am

Bskey wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:I just meant if Lillard dropped to us, which was my dream draft scenario since before we had the number 1 pick. I was praying to pick number 1 and another in the top 5 and come away with Davis/Drummond or Davis/Lillard.

Being a Blazer fan I was hoping for Lillard/Drummond (obviously not expecting Davis to drop past 1).

I'm pretty happy with Leonard though, there were better players now but he is insanely athletic and has a pretty good work ethic. He may not always make the right decisions but his intentions are clear, with experience and good coaching he will get pretty damn good I think. Plus he's got an attitude on the court which is always nice for big men. Leonard is a project, but one that could pay off a few years from now. Not that I think he will be better than Drummond.

my hope for meyers, and probably a realistic expectation is a more athletic samuel dalembert. That would be fantastic for the blazers.

my dream draft scenario was lillard/drummond as well

what happen with mkg tonight
SharoneWright wrote:I would not trade Bargs for Roy.

Monster or no.

i said it. And I live in a flame retardent suit.
gswhoopsman
Pro Prospect
And1: 3

Post#1277 » by gswhoopsman » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:17 am

Harrison Barnes had a pretty good game tonight. Hopefully he learns to be more aggressive on offense, and get to the rim instead of settling for deep pull up twos.
Catchall:The Bucks traded him for Monta Ellis and did well in that trade.If they can move Biedrins and Jefferson without losing much more than Barnes and another pick, I will be genuinely impressed.Iguodala is a short-sighted contract. Overrated player.
whatchaknow
Analyst
And1: 716

Post#1278 » by whatchaknow » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:26 am

Cro_Ruption wrote:
Bskey wrote:

my hope for meyers, and probably a realistic expectation is a more athletic samuel dalembert. That would be fantastic for the blazers.

my dream draft scenario was lillard/drummond as well

what happen with mkg tonight

I think Meyers has Tyson chandler potential. He really needs to channel his shot blocking attempts and focus more on contesting without fouling and positioning for rebounding. Also his rotations are pretty ugly and his p&r d is atrocious right now. I think a lot of that comes with experience though.

My dream scenario was to get lillard 6 and hope waiters fell to 11. Since it didn't happen I was ok with Leonard but I had no clue Meyers was as good of an athlete as he is
9abovetherim
Banned User
And1: 73

Post#1279 » by 9abovetherim » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:35 am

gswhoopsman wrote:Harrison Barnes had a pretty good game tonight. Hopefully he learns to be more aggressive on offense, and get to the rim instead of settling for deep pull up twos.

He is very clutch and glad to see him get some great minutes this game and see what he can do with the minutes, a BEAST :)
NYK_89
Assistant Coach
And1: 72

Post#1280 » by NYK_89 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:06 pm

King d wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:All of it.

Hmmm not really the proper use of that but anyways...

Davis has been very very good offensivly and is easily the best rookie defender in the NBA... Does that answer your questions

Return to The General Board