Race to the MVP.

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Sinant
Head Coach
And1: 140

Re: Race to the MVP. 

Post#601 » by Sinant » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:32 pm

If Durant can get his ppg up a little to 27 or so, and keep up this rebounding, he could have an all-time level season.
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager
And1: 1,663

Post#602 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:53 pm

JordansBulls wrote:This will be CP3 or Durant or Melo's year to get MVP. Whichever one of them finish with the top spot will get MVP.

I agree, One of those guys will take the MVP
xStanton27
Sixth Man
And1: 948

Post#603 » by xStanton27 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:59 pm

bledredwine wrote:PER is somewhat garbage.

Why? Because it doesn't adhere with your view? Lol
Tron Carter
RealGM
And1: 19,112

Post#604 » by Tron Carter » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:25 pm

TheGarden wrote:getting to caught up in numbers ruins the value of the award

:clap: +1
R.I.P Black Mamba
bbms
Analyst
And1: 531

Post#605 » by bbms » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:36 pm

People aren't bringing up numbers out of context. This isn't like Kevin Love contending for 2010/11 MVP award. We're talking the numbers of MVP frontrunners... And finding that two men are not like the others...
CJ_18
Assistant Coach
And1: 35

Post#606 » by CJ_18 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:01 pm

JordansBulls wrote:This will be CP3 or Durant or Melo's year to get MVP. Whichever one of them finish with the top spot will get MVP.

Noone is ever gonna win MVP averaging 24 ppg on 43% shooting and 1 assist.. I would be embarressed putting up those numbers (considering the capacity Carmleo is given), not vying for an MVP.

It will likely come down to James, Durant or CP3. If they all finish with a similar record and on the same pace theyre currently at, it will be Bron's. If the thunder or clippers pull away from the pack, it could be Durant or Pauls.
semi-sentient
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,609

Post#607 » by semi-sentient » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:26 pm

bbms wrote:People aren't bringing up numbers out of context. This isn't like Kevin Love contending for 2010/11 MVP award. We're talking the numbers of MVP frontrunners... And finding that two men are not like the others...

That isn't really applying context to the numbers, and if you want to get technical Kobe, Duncan, CP3, and Durant all have similar cumulative box score stats. The only real difference is team record and defense which you can't quantify and is typically dismissed in MVP discussions anyway.

Let's take rebounding as an example though. If it more impressive for Durant to average 10.5 a game playing alongside mediocre rebounders (which is to say no bigs capable of giving you near 10 per game) or for LeBron to average 9 playing next to Chris Bosh who has, on multiple occasions, averaged over 10? Likewise, is it any less impressive that Kobe is amongst the leagues best guard rebounders despite playing next to Gasol and Howard who give you a combined 21 rebounds per game?

I don't see any sort of context being applied at all. People are throwing around statistics and not even bothering to look any deeper.

Having said that, LeBron is still the front-runner, and at this point I think that CP3 and Durant are battling for that 2nd spot. Duncan and Kobe probably round out the top 5.
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan
fallacy
RealGM
And1: 607

Post#608 » by fallacy » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:45 pm

Sinant wrote:If Durant can get his ppg up a little to 27 or so, and keep up this rebounding, he could have an all-time level season.

Well, yeah. Having 27+ points and 10+ rebounds have only been done by 2 perimeter players in NBA history, Oscar Robertson and Elgin Baylor
**** Ron Artest
**** Marco Belinelli
Stephen Jackson aint bout dis lyfe
Patrick Beverly deserves to have his knee ripped to pieces
Ikcelaks
Sophomore
And1: 18

Post#609 » by Ikcelaks » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:28 pm

bbms wrote:People aren't bringing up numbers out of context. This isn't like Kevin Love contending for 2010/11 MVP award. We're talking the numbers of MVP frontrunners... And finding that two men are not like the others...

Well, they kind of are. The context of these numbers is "approximately 10 games". They're almost meaningless.

But, then again, so is this whole thread for at least another month, but there's no fun in just saying "too early to tell".
bbms
Analyst
And1: 531

Post#610 » by bbms » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:24 pm

semi-sentient wrote:

That isn't really applying context to the numbers, and if you want to get technical Kobe, Duncan, CP3, and Durant all have similar cumulative box score stats. The only real difference is team record and defense which you can't quantify and is typically dismissed in MVP discussions anyway.

Let's take rebounding as an example though. If it more impressive for Durant to average 10.5 a game playing alongside mediocre rebounders (which is to say no bigs capable of giving you near 10 per game) or for LeBron to average 9 playing next to Chris Bosh who has, on multiple occasions, averaged over 10? Likewise, is it any less impressive that Kobe is amongst the leagues best guard rebounders despite playing next to Gasol and Howard who give you a combined 21 rebounds per game?

I don't see any sort of context being applied at all. People are throwing around statistics and not even bothering to look any deeper.

Having said that, LeBron is still the front-runner, and at this point I think that CP3 and Durant are battling for that 2nd spot. Duncan and Kobe probably round out the top 5.

Except for the fact that Ibaka and Bosh were comparable rebounders carreer wise 20 DRB% for Ibaka and 21% for Chris Bosh and 16% TRB for Ibaka and 15% for Bosh. Playing for Toronto Raptors alongside Bargnani. Since Bosh joined the Heat, Ibaka beat Bosh in rebounding every season except this one. Ibaka is also a better rebounder per 36 for his carreer. Perkins is also a better rebounder for his carreer than Bosh. Carreer 9.6 rb per 36, 21% DRB and 16% TRB.

Ibaka is not a very good defensive rebounder, but if he's mediocre, than Bosh and any rebounder playing with LeBron can't be much better than that. Haslem plays 18 minutes so I don't think it's meaningless to bring that up.

Durant is really great at defensive boards.
PetroNet
Banned User
And1: 136

Post#611 » by PetroNet » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:35 pm

its going to come down to:

Lebron - best player and likely best stats
Durant - likely lead the league in scoring and sometimes writers get tired of voting for the best guy
Carmello - if the knicks are a top 2 seed and win close to 60 games, unexpected by alot of ppl he will get consideration

other possibilities are if some team outside of the 3 guys above finsih with the best record in the league, then their best player has a shot. this is CP3's only chance, otherwise he really has no shot. I can see kobe getting consideration if the lakers lead the league in wins. if brooklyn got above 55 wins Dwill might get some votes but still wouldnt have a shot at winning. The spurs have shown they are too team oriented to have an MVP at this point even with the best record. houston wont win enough for harden to get consideration even if his numbers are there.

basically, unless he gets hurt - or carmello leads the knicks to 60 wins, its gonna be lebron
PetroNet
Banned User
And1: 136

Post#612 » by PetroNet » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:38 pm

semi-sentient wrote:

context isnt applied because we know how these guys vote. and for the most part, its pretty shallow. blind, tradition volume stats, teams win/loss record and perhaps what would make for a good story, since, you know, thats how these guys make their money
manu chao
Sophomore
And1: 6

Post#613 » by manu chao » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:44 pm

Heat_Fan_87 wrote:It's a 3 man race between Lebron, CP3 and Durant imo.

basically correct. let's see what happens with melo and kobe.
lebron is still the number one.
Ikcelaks
Sophomore
And1: 18

Post#614 » by Ikcelaks » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:55 pm

The biggest problem for Carmello's MVP candidacy is that almost everyone recognizes that Durant has been and so far continues to be a superior player. Voter fatigue for Lebron is a very real possibility, but Carmelo is probably third in line at best (behind Durant and Paul) among most voters who think that way.
LGND2552
Bench Warmer
And1: 142

Post#615 » by LGND2552 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:20 pm

If the lakers get 1-2 seed and Kobe keeps up his play, he takes it.
EvilSperm
Banned User
And1: 17

Post#616 » by EvilSperm » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:32 pm

Kobewill get it if he keeps up with this efficient start for the season and if they finish with the top seed in the west

bring on the mvp kobe in ur 17th season this would be EPIC
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#617 » by HurricaneKid » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:05 am

Kobe is arguably having his best season ever. I absolutely put him in the mix.
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
28reloaded
Banned User
And1: 10

Post#618 » by 28reloaded » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:09 am

One major thing in Durant's favor is how dependent the starting unit is on him being on the floor.

Durant on/off +23.9
Westbrook +6.4
Ibaka +1.6
Sefolosha -1.4
Perkins -9.5
Darain
Lead Assistant
And1: 39

Post#619 » by Darain » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:22 am

If Perkins is at a -9.6 then why does he play so many minutes?
crowd goes wild wrote:Joel Anthony. Dude could probably give you around 27 ppg if he wasn't playing along side Chris Bosh.

I'm not a Kobe fan
nhh90 wrote:Kobe hasn't been doubled in a game since 07-08 season.
jayjamesson
Junior
And1: 4

Post#620 » by jayjamesson » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:18 am

You didn't get the memo that Lebron is still breathing? There's no race.

Return to The General Board