Is Thomas Robinson a complete bust?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Beard
Sixth Man
And1: 28

Re: Is Thomas Robinson a complete bust? 

Post#21 » by Beard » Thu Nov 8, 2012 11:23 pm

It's fair to say that so far he is off to a slow start. Anything beyond that is highly speculative at this point.
peja drobnjak
Starter
And1: 46

Post#22 » by peja drobnjak » Thu Nov 8, 2012 11:24 pm

i just don't know how much upside he really has, imo definitely not enough to deserve getting picked third overall. i bet he ends up somewhere between jason maxiell and charlie villanueva or drew gooden or something. undersized but with good physical tools, decent ball skills, but bad b-ball iq. pf is a really easy position to score from in college i believe, but w/e i'm not watching a kings game in a million years so feel free to tell me i'm very wrong.

i actually like that he threw an elbow, it means he can have a baseline value as a six fouls enforcer type and that he has some pride in his game. and jesus what happened to the 'it takes a big man five year to develop' theory, used to be called hasty when you labelled a player a bust his sophomore year, but five games is probably a new record
Image Turbo Zone
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,375

Post#23 » by RIPskaterdude » Thu Nov 8, 2012 11:26 pm

Beard wrote:It's fair to say that so far he is off to a slow start. Anything beyond that is highly speculative at this point.

A slow start? He doesn't start, and he doesn't get minutes or shots to justify him being a top 5 pick. Why do you think all the agents tried desperately to avoid workouts with the Kings? No matter what position they picked, they would have already had a young player starting there and getting the majority of the time and shots. How often does a top 5 pick come off the bench for a bad team?
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 9,695

Post#24 » by Woodsanity » Thu Nov 8, 2012 11:31 pm

CBB_Fan wrote:
nhh90 wrote:
624 wrote:No one is a bust 1 week into his career....especially a big.

Austin Rivers is a complete bust

Austin Rivers is averaging more points, blocks, steals, and assists per game than Thomas Robinson.

Austin Rivers is shooting 20% from the field and has a PER of 8 while TROB has a PER of 11. The fact that Austin Rivers is scoring more just means he is a chucker extraordinaire.

Only the playoffs separate the true great ones and frauds.
CoachKobe
Rookie
And1: 312

Post#25 » by CoachKobe » Thu Nov 8, 2012 11:33 pm

Yes, he's a complete bust.
The only real reason why he was picked so high is because people called him mature and NBA-ready.
Got news for you: he's neither mature nor NBA-ready.
Congrats.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#26 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Thu Nov 8, 2012 11:34 pm

624 wrote:No one is a bust 1 week into his career....especially a big.

This.

Give him time. He has skills and an insane motor...that's clear.

Not a fan of the environment he's in...hopefully that doesn't affect how good he'll become.
CBB_Fan
Senior
And1: 138

Post#27 » by CBB_Fan » Thu Nov 8, 2012 11:34 pm

Woodsanity wrote:Austin Rivers is shooting 20% from the field and has a PER of 8 while TROB has a PER of 11. The fact that Austin Rivers is scoring more just means he is a chucker extraordinaire.

I'm just saying that TRob hasn't statistically played better than Austin Rivers to this point.
RIPskaterdude
RealGM

Post#28 » by RIPskaterdude » Thu Nov 8, 2012 11:36 pm

CBB_Fan wrote:
Woodsanity wrote:Austin Rivers is shooting 20% from the field and has a PER of 8 while TROB has a PER of 11. The fact that Austin Rivers is scoring more just means he is a chucker extraordinaire.

I'm just saying that TRob hasn't statistically played better than Austin Rivers to this point.

Isn't Austin Rivers starting for the Hornets? Who does he have to fight with for the ball other than Davis?
theBlackMagic
Junior
And1: 128

Post#29 » by theBlackMagic » Thu Nov 8, 2012 11:36 pm

Anthony Davis is also a bust, injury prone big man, he had a concussion, he'll be out of the league in five years.

Damian Lillard is also a bust, lost some games, doesn't have a winners mentality. 11th man at best.
CBB_Fan
Senior

Post#30 » by CBB_Fan » Thu Nov 8, 2012 11:37 pm

xx_skaterdude_xx wrote:He's hardly even playing, and when he does, he's in the last option on offense, so how exactly is he supposed to put up those 20 points and 15 rebounds on a team that already has Cousins, Evans, Thornton and Aaron Brooks? Is Drummond a bust too?

Drummond has been receiving very, very positive comments for his talent and potential, especially in the preseason. Since the NBA draft, no one has had a reason to speak positively about TRob, except for "hustle" and the dunk over Dwight.

And to be honest, a player drafted as a mature, instant impact player that could instantly change the locker room mentality and help the team shouldn't be the guy acting out and coming 8th off the bench because he isn't ready.
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,039

Post#31 » by jazzfan1971 » Thu Nov 8, 2012 11:37 pm

I'd like to see him play the Jazz at least once before I form an opinion.

I'd say if he can't demand 18mpg by the All-Star break he's looking like a bust though. It's not like Sacramento has a star PF in the rotation in front of him or anything.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
bibby1023
Bench Warmer
And1: 208

Post#32 » by bibby1023 » Thu Nov 8, 2012 11:39 pm

Like many said above, you can't label a bust the very first week into their nba career. If we did that guys like Andrew Bynum, Dirk, etc are all busts. He barely even plays because cousins Thompson and Hayes are all ahead of him in the big man rotation.
bjax24
Veteran
And1: 37

Post#33 » by bjax24 » Thu Nov 8, 2012 11:39 pm

Holy **** this thread exists? Smh. HE'S 5 **** GAMES INTO HIS CAREER!
CBB_Fan
Senior

Post#34 » by CBB_Fan » Thu Nov 8, 2012 11:40 pm

xx_skaterdude_xx wrote:
CBB_Fan wrote:

Isn't Austin Rivers starting for the Hornets? Who does he have to fight with for the ball other than Davis?

Why do the Hornets feel that Rivers is a starter if the Kings feel Robinson deserves 13 minutes a game?

Also, people forget that we didn't magically start evaluating players at the beginning of the season. Robinson played bad in summer league. He played bad in the preseason. He's playing bad now. It has been nearly half a year since the draft, and he hasn't had a really positive performance yet.
bibby1023
Bench Warmer
And1: 208

Post#35 » by bibby1023 » Thu Nov 8, 2012 11:47 pm

xx_skaterdude_xx wrote:
CBB_Fan wrote:

Why do the Hornets feel that Rivers is a starter if the Kings feel Robinson deserves 13 minutes a game?

Also, people forget that we didn't magically start evaluating players at the beginning of the season. Robinson played bad in summer league. He played bad in the preseason. He's playing bad now. It has been nearly half a year since the draft, and he hasn't had a really positive performance yet.[/quote]
You don't understand the circumstances that different teams have. The Hornets don't have anyone besides Davis at the moment. Just because right now Rivers averages more minutes per game then Trob doesn't mean he is and will be a better player... That makes no sense, with that being said I've been disappointed with what he has done as of late, but he's adapting to the Nba game. Calling him a bust already is laughable, and makes you look dumb.
perezident
Sixth Man
And1: 73
Location: On the beautiful island of the Bahamas. Where I was born

Post#36 » by perezident » Thu Nov 8, 2012 11:48 pm

Long gone are the days when I come on here read a horrendous thread and have a back and forth with persons who clearly don't know what basketball is. OP this thread is a joke as well as your motives. Thomas Robinson will be fine

/endthread
Smills91 wrote:You guys are idiots....
If you sleep on Beno, he can drop 30/10 on you.

^Shall remain until this happens :rofl:

theo42 wrote:If you think Philly isn't getting better you will be shocked with how they play this year.

^ :lol: (7/4/15)
RIPskaterdude
RealGM

Post#37 » by RIPskaterdude » Thu Nov 8, 2012 11:49 pm

CBB_Fan wrote:Why do the Hornets feel that Rivers is a starter if the Kings feel Robinson deserves 13 minutes a game?

Also, people forget that we didn't magically start evaluating players at the beginning of the season. Robinson played bad in summer league. He played bad in the preseason. He's playing bad now. It has been nearly half a year since the draft, and he hasn't had a really positive performance yet.

Isn't Rivers playing SG right now since Gordon is injured? I can't imagine that he'd stay in the starting lineup if Gordon wasn't.

Summer league doesn't mean anything.

So now the preseason counts? So when the Lakers go the entire preseason without winning a game, it's just preseason, but as a few bad games for a rookie and then he's a bust. :roll:

The fact is, Robinson is coming off the bench because the Kings resigned Jason Thompson to a multi year deal before the season, which probably was a mistake, but for the time being, he's not going to put up any stats when he's on a team with Cousins, Evans, Thornton and Aaron Brooks.
Blazing_royale
General Manager
And1: 1,953

Post#38 » by Blazing_royale » Thu Nov 8, 2012 11:50 pm

than why did the KINGS draft this kid in the first place if they have a gazillion PFS inront of him
Any Pokémon fans out there? Check out my Youtube channel jchucollection
CBB_Fan
Senior

Post#39 » by CBB_Fan » Thu Nov 8, 2012 11:51 pm

bjax24 wrote:Holy **** this thread exists? Smh. HE'S 5 **** GAMES INTO HIS CAREER!

Tell if I'm wrong, but didn't he play in the Summer League? Did he play really well then?

Tell if I'm wrong, but didn't he play in the preseason? Did he play really well then?

It isn't like he just suddenly popped into the NBA. He's had half a year to make a good impression. Some rookies have, like:

Anthony Davis
MKG
Bradley Beal
Dion Waiters
Damian Lillard
Harrison Barnes
Andre Drummond
Meyers Leonard
JV
Tyler Zeller
Terrance Jones
Jared Sullinger
Mo Harkless
Jae Crowder
Kim English
Andrew Nicholson
Dequan Jones

Every single one of those rookies has played better than TRob at some point in that half a year. That isn't acceptable for a #5 pick. Yes, it is early, but TRob should be better than this if he is what he is was thought to be.
C-izMe
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#40 » by C-izMe » Thu Nov 8, 2012 11:51 pm

Numbers are wrong. TRob has a PER of 9.5 and Rivers has a PER of 2.6. Both have been mad but TRob has still been better.

Return to The General Board