Jeremy Lin has been turned into Derek Fisher

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

orange_juice32
Bench Warmer
And1: 290

Re: Jeremy Lin has been turned into Derek Fisher 

Post#221 » by orange_juice32 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:55 am

DLaren wrote:
NiqtheAntiq wrote:
Also Ty Lawson is playing pretty bad this season but no one seems to talk about him. He has more talent and time with his team than Lin does.

Lawson is an average player who receives an average amount of media/fan hype.
Lin is an average player who receives an abundant amount of media/fan hype.

Which has nothing to do with what NiqtheAntiq and biglove were talking about. So no, ballboy, no one needed you to explain anything.
samfisher83
Junior
And1: 366

Post#222 » by samfisher83 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:03 am

You should check out the clutchfans thread, The LOF are making every excuse in the world for him.

Everything from racism to harden to sampson.
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,225

Post#223 » by EArl » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:40 am

junot111 wrote:
eablinksum wrote:He certainly flopped like him tonight.

When did he flop?

Exhibit A
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
dingclancy
Analyst
And1: 90

Post#224 » by dingclancy » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:44 am

Kobe half death stare
hayden
Veteran
And1: 548

Post#225 » by hayden » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:08 am

it comes down to the rockets not utilizing lin's playmaking abilities. he's an inconsistent spot-up shooter, and his confidence in his shooting is at an all-time low... but they still are having him play that role, with harden being the primary ball handler. if anything, lin should be creating at all times and harden should be the spot-up shooter and last resort, iso player.

i mean, look at today's game... by all accounts, he played like trash, but still managed to dish 10 dimes.
LarsV8 wrote:[Jeremy Lin] just isn't very good.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,006

Post#226 » by slick_watts » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:20 am

I don't think Jeremy Lin is good enough to be a full time play maker since he's extremely turnover prone. I don't think he's good enough to be a full time secondary play maker because his jump shot is erratic. I think that he needs the ball in his hands to score consistently because he can't shoot, and over the long run requires a lot of FTA to be efficient.

Harden plays way better off the ball than Lin, so I think Houston would be better served using Lin more on the ball - even though Harden is probably better than Lin there a well. IMO Lin isn't very good at all, and is a hard player to build a team around since he has so many deficiencies and needs the ball in his hands to have a chance to be effective.
Ginger Bean
Senior
And1: 222

Post#227 » by Ginger Bean » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:48 am

NiqtheAntiq wrote:Lin will stick in the league, similar to Antonio Daniels and Jon Barry type players who gm's realized weren't star players but could be a productive spark plug who gives u 25 mpg with energy and scoring off the bench.

My honest opinion is he will do better next season with the Rockets once they full gel. My guess is the Rockets need a pure PG starting with Harden like a Norris Cole or Roddy Bedboius type contract on the cheap and have Lin playing the backup 1 and 2 spots as sixth man still getting quality minutes. That would be his best role. Lin is honestly a 6-7 mill production combo guard getting a star level pg contract which was silly to begin with.

Also Ty Lawson is playing pretty bad this season but no one seems to talk about him. He has more talent and time with his team than Lin does.

6-7 million is OK for Lin, but 8.3 million is star level and too much?

On everything else you said, I'm starting to come to the conclusion that you're right. I guess they need more time to gel, but I'm not that optimistic at this point. Poorly constructed team. :(
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,231

Post#228 » by Oscirus » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:29 am

Ok people can't have it both ways. If you want to average out his contract to 8 per then average it out. If we are going to talk about the balloon payment in his final year then we should also acknowledge the fact that he makes about five million per year in his first two years.

That being said, Lin can't be the primary ball handler because his handle is horrific. I don't know why he didn't work on it over the summer, but those be the breaks i suppose. Can he eventually become all star calibur? Sure, it takes time and hard work obviously. And they have three years to build on it. If Houston is smart they'll bring in a veteran pg to mentor him. Otherwise, he will be a waste.
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
sunskerr
General Manager
And1: 5,336

Post#229 » by sunskerr » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:56 am

Dragic is averaging 16/7 and is the best player on the Suns for $7.5m iirc. I'm so glad Houston didn't pursue him.

But about Lin, imo he's not a bad player at all. I think some people's expectations were maybe a little high because of his...what was it? 10 game streak? They have Harden so that relieves a lot of pressure from Lin to do everything on offense, but it also negatively impacts Lin's stats. Remember, before Harden came they would have been starting Martin/Parsons/Patterson/Asik.
Jajwanda
General Manager
And1: 105

Post#230 » by Jajwanda » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:02 am

Why not bench him and get a spot up shooter/decent defender to start. No not Toney Douglass.
thelastpope
Pro Prospect
And1: 607

Post#231 » by thelastpope » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:43 am

Houston keeps forgetting
Lowry didn't like the coachs and would rather play in Toronto , then Houston
Dragic's Girlfriend lives in Phoenix and would rather play in Phoenix then Houston
Lin would rather play on the Knicks then Houston , then they poison pilled the Knicks
Harden would rather play in OKC then Houston , then OKC GM gave him an ultimatum
Ginger Bean
Senior

Post#232 » by Ginger Bean » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:50 am

Lol, at least Asik is happy with Houston, right?
CU_NY09
Bench Warmer
And1: 84

Post#233 » by CU_NY09 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:58 am

slick_watts wrote:I don't think Jeremy Lin is good enough to be a full time play maker since he's extremely turnover prone. I don't think he's good enough to be a full time secondary play maker because his jump shot is erratic. I think that he needs the ball in his hands to score consistently because he can't shoot, and over the long run requires a lot of FTA to be efficient.

Harden plays way better off the ball than Lin, so I think Houston would be better served using Lin more on the ball - even though Harden is probably better than Lin there a well. IMO Lin isn't very good at all, and is a hard player to build a team around since he has so many deficiencies and needs the ball in his hands to have a chance to be effective.

This turnover prone talk is a little overblown. Harden as the primary ball handler actually has more turnovers than Lin. I don't have as big an issue with them because I know they're not a result of consistently, bad decision making. I do agree that Harden plays a lot better off the ball than Lin, so they should use Lin on the ball more. Whether you want to believe it or not, Lin does a pretty good job of distributing the ball, maybe even better than Harden.

Lin has a 3 year contract and an average, starting PG salary. It's highly unlikely that the Rockets are building around him, if they could trade him for a better piece to compliment the identity of the Rockets (and now Harden), they'd do it in a heartbeat. IMO, Morey pretty much confirmed it when he was on reddit, he's all about tradable assets.
thelastpope
Pro Prospect
And1: 607

Post#234 » by thelastpope » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:07 pm

Ginger Bean wrote:Lol, at least Asik is happy with Houston, right?

All foreign player are just happy there in America :D
CoolColJ
Sophomore
And1: 5

Post#235 » by CoolColJ » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:13 pm

eablinksum wrote:
junot111 wrote:
eablinksum wrote:He certainly flopped like him tonight.

When did he flop?

Exhibit A

Looked like a foul to me
brownsmith89
Senior
And1: 120

Post#236 » by brownsmith89 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:14 pm

NiqtheAntiq wrote:Lin will stick in the league, similar to Antonio Daniels and Jon Barry type players who gm's realized weren't star players but could be a productive spark plug who gives u 25 mpg with energy and scoring off the bench.

that's an interesting comparison with jon barry. making millions of dollars and coming off the bench for 25 minutes is nothing to be ashamed of.

i thought lin would be doing better while not having pressure from the new york media.
i just hope he can turn out better without injuries.
Ginger Bean
Senior

Post#237 » by Ginger Bean » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:45 pm

brownsmith89 wrote:i thought lin would be doing better while not having pressure from the new york media.
i just hope he can turn out better without injuries.

He has just as much pressure now (to "live up to his contract"), but with McHale on indefinite leave (say what you will about McHale as a coach, but the players seem to like him tremendously), an assistant coach trying to be the head coach, and a much worse team than the Knicks to play with?

I guess this team has to improve together, because there are weaknesses everywhere. Lin can't get good screens set for him; don't understand why he has to beg Patterson who then refuses or sets a really crappy one. And if Lin's shot weren't freaking atrocious right now, he could spread the floor for Harden a bit. And if Harden didn't take so many pointless step-back threes... oh nevermind, this team frustrates me so much.
seren
RealGM
And1: 4,195

Post#238 » by seren » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:51 pm

Oscirus wrote:Ok people can't have it both ways. If you want to average out his contract to 8 per then average it out. If we are going to talk about the balloon payment in his final year then we should also acknowledge the fact that he makes about five million per year in his first two years.

That being said, Lin can't be the primary ball handler because his handle is horrific. I don't know why he didn't work on it over the summer, but those be the breaks i suppose. Can he eventually become all star calibur? Sure, it takes time and hard work obviously. And they have three years to build on it. If Houston is smart they'll bring in a veteran pg to mentor him. Otherwise, he will be a waste.

Balloon payment is irrelevant. What is relevant is how much it counts on the cap. It counts at 8.3 million a year for all three years.

So no. He is not paid like a star.
Perdido/BR
Sixth Man
And1: 36

Post#239 » by Perdido/BR » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:01 pm

thelastpope wrote:Houston keeps forgetting
Lin would rather play on the Knicks then Houston , then they poison pilled the Knicks

Lin´s contract with Houston is not that bad. Had the Knicks signed him, though, It would be a bad, bad contract. And there was no shortage of posts on Realgm saying the Knicks screwed up by letting him go, that the team was going nowhere without him (and according to the GB, nowhere with him too. Actually, per the GB the Knicks are going nowhere, ever, ever, ever. We could get a prime MJ, and the GB would still say the Knicks will suck forever.
hayden
Veteran
And1: 548

Post#240 » by hayden » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:34 pm

slick_watts wrote:I don't think Jeremy Lin is good enough to be a full time play maker since
he's extremely turnover prone
. I don't think he's good enough to be a full time secondary play maker because his jump shot is erratic. I think that he needs the ball in his hands to score consistently because he can't shoot, and over the long run requires a lot of FTA to be efficient.

You haven't watched many Houston games this year, have you? Probably should reserve your judgement until you do.

A PG who is avging 10 pts, 7 asts, 2.2 stls, 4.4 rbs shoots 87% from the ft... while not being the primary ball handler, isn't very good at all. lol

You put Rondo in the same role and he'll give you those exact same avgs with the same horrid shooting % from the 3 and worst ft shooting from the line.
LarsV8 wrote:[Jeremy Lin] just isn't very good.

Return to The General Board