Jeremy Lin has been turned into Derek Fisher

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

OptimusOne6
Junior
And1: 23

Re: Jeremy Lin has been turned into Derek Fisher 

Post#81 » by OptimusOne6 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:26 pm

og15 wrote:Do you think Westbrook having the ball in his hands more makes them better at ball movement though?

It seems like they basically replaced Harden having the ball in his hands with Westbrook and Durant doing it more, not with better ball movement. The only funny thing was the random posters arguing that Harden is better for OKC because he moves without the ball and is better off the ball than Kevin Martin, that was interesting.

I haven't watched too much OKC this season but I do think Westbrook having the ball more creates better ball-movement. OKC was dead last in assists last season and in previous years before that (2010 and 2011) they weren't that bad.

I don't know who argued that Harden could move without the ball because he can't. He can spot-up, sure, but move without the ball and create without it? Nope.
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,651

Post#82 » by prophet_of_rage » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:48 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:the airball isn't that big a deal but it is symbolic of a kid that just is okay. Not special.

It was the absolute opposite of that game-winning shot in Toronto, wasn't it?

I'm totally rooting for him, but if it turns out he is an average PG/good backup who had a magical run, then that's what it is- no shame in that.

It wasn't the absolute opposite. He shot off a catch and shoot and airballed it. Maybe he rushed it maybe he didn't have legs under him maybe he just choked, but I wouldn't say that one play is any statement on Jeremy Lin. He's a middling player most likely and that's what middling players do. They have up moments and down moments.
DrewBynum77
Lead Assistant
And1: 322

Post#83 » by DrewBynum77 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:39 pm

Scott Machado may be a more promising PG than Lin
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 9,903

Post#84 » by Woodsanity » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:44 pm

Derek Fisher was never even an average PG. Probably the most overrated PG of all time and no he was never ever a good defender. That is a myth. No stats, eye test or anything shows that he was anything more than average in his prime.

Sorry making a few clutch shots does not boost him up that high. If he wasn't a below average PG to begin with there would be no need for that clutch shot.

Only the playoffs separate the true great ones and frauds.
Grinditout
RealGM
And1: 2,368

Post#85 » by Grinditout » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:14 pm

I'm perplexed as to how people point at the Linsanity period and claim it was only a few short weeks, but next season comes around and after 2 weeks suddenly that's enough time to fully evaluate him. I'm not even that high on Lin, but you guys are being unfair. If Linsanity is too short of a period to confirm anything, then these 2 weeks should be treated as just the same.
L3GEND4RY
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,188

Post#86 » by L3GEND4RY » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:17 pm

Grinditout wrote:I'm perplexed as to how people point at the Linsanity period and claim it was only a few short weeks, but next season comes around and after 2 weeks suddenly that's enough time to fully evaluate him. I'm not even that high on Lin, but you guys are being unfair. If Linsanity is too short of a period to confirm anything, then these 2 weeks should be treated as just the same.

Well said.

Signature by freshcontrast
Heat Loaf
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#87 » by Heat Loaf » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:29 pm

I've never seen Fish airball a 3 with the game on the line. :roll:
Mobby
Analyst
And1: 424

Post#88 » by Mobby » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:33 pm

I wish Lin the best of luck, but it seems like his confidence is shot out there.
Tubal
Rookie
And1: 38

Post#89 » by Tubal » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:35 pm

Grinditout wrote:I'm perplexed as to how people point at the Linsanity period and claim it was only a few short weeks, but next season comes around and after 2 weeks suddenly that's enough time to fully evaluate him. I'm not even that high on Lin, but you guys are being unfair. If Linsanity is too short of a period to confirm anything, then these 2 weeks should be treated as just the same.

I think the point is, Lin has been in/out of the league for 2-3 years. He had a magical few weeks in NY in D'Antoni's PG system (the same system that made a borderline all star into a 2 time MVP), and now he's back to normal. It's not like we've only seen him play for 2 two week periods. We've seen him play and get cut from teams for 2 years now.

Golden State sent him to the D-League 3 times. Houston signed him and cut him, NY signed him and was GOING to cut him until Davis went down, and the rest is history.
Grinditout
RealGM
And1: 2,368

Post#90 » by Grinditout » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:43 pm

Tubal wrote:

I think the point is, Lin has been in/out of the league for 2-3 years. He had a magical few weeks in NY in D'Antoni's PG system, and now he's back to normal. It's not like we've only seen him play for 2 two week periods. We've seen him play and get cut from teams for 2 years now.

Golden State sent him to the D-League 3 times. Houston signed him and cut him, NY signed him and was GOING to cut him until Davis went down, and the rest is history.

That's a bit misleading considering that he did not play consistent major minutes during his stint in Golden State and didn't even play any reg season games with Houston the first time around. For a more fair judgement we should look at games where he has played significant minutes regularly which would be last season with the Knicks and the beginning of this one with Houston.

You can look at a myriad of different players who didn't produce much in their first few seasons and then developed/broke out later on. It's still too early to tell with Lin.
timlin500
Starter
And1: 124

Post#91 » by timlin500 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:46 pm

Jeez you guys are sure making a big deal out of one airball...
Durant Durant
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,094

Post#92 » by Durant Durant » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:52 pm

Grinditout wrote:
Tubal wrote:

I think the point is, Lin has been in/out of the league for 2-3 years. He had a magical few weeks in NY in D'Antoni's PG system, and now he's back to normal. It's not like we've only seen him play for 2 two week periods. We've seen him play and get cut from teams for 2 years now.

That's a bit misleading considering that he did not play consistent major minutes during his stint in Golden State and didn't even play any reg season games with Houston the first time around. For a more fair judgement we should look at games where he has played significant minutes regularly which would be last season with the Knicks and the beginning of this one with Houston.

You can look at a myriad of different players who didn't produce much in their first few seasons and then developed/broke out later on. It's still too early to tell with Lin.

good pts Grinditout. haters just put on their blindfolds, fling poo all over the place and hope one sticks.

like the post you responded to. the poster tried to sound very knowledgeable and convincing but his logic is all over the place. lol
Durant Durant
Assistant Coach

Post#93 » by Durant Durant » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:57 pm

timlin500 wrote:Jeez you guys are sure making a big deal out of one airball...

nobody noticed Wade BRICK 2 FTs after the airball. lucky bounce to Bosh that's why they won.

the intense pressure of the game got into the Great Dwayne Wade what more a young player. I'm convinced the haters are the ones overrating Lin.
TheGarden
Banned User
And1: 1,156

Post#94 » by TheGarden » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:00 pm

inquisitive wrote:it's early boys...still early

:lol:

these early excuses are getting old for guys, you either have it or you dont
Durant Durant
Assistant Coach

Post#95 » by Durant Durant » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:05 pm

TheGarden wrote:
inquisitive wrote:it's early boys...still early

:lol:

these early excuses are getting old for guys, you either have it or you dont

so what happened with your team last season never happened? time to write him off? stop being butthurt I thought Knicks fans moved on.
Tubal
Rookie
And1: 38

Post#96 » by Tubal » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:16 pm

Major Tom wrote:
Grinditout wrote:
Tubal wrote:

good pts Grinditout. haters just put on their blindfolds, fling poo all over the place and hope one sticks.

like the post you responded to. the poster tried to sound very knowledgeable and convincing but his logic is all over the place. lol

Explain please.

My "logic" is that he said we judged him on 2 weeks. I said he's been in and out of the league for two years. We've had more than a 2 week window to judge him. He was mediocre enough to get cut multiple times by multiple teams (including the rockets), then he had an awesome few weeks in a system that makes any PG awesome, and now he's mediocre again.
BodieB
Veteran
And1: 3,340

Post#97 » by BodieB » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:19 pm

Major Tom wrote:
timlin500 wrote:Jeez you guys are sure making a big deal out of one airball...

nobody noticed Wade BRICK 2 FTs after the airball. lucky bounce to Bosh that's why they won.

the intense pressure of the game got into the Great Dwayne Wade what more a young player. I'm convinced the haters are the ones overrating Lin.

Lol at comparing anything Wade does to Lin.
osamu
Starter
And1: 249

Post#98 » by osamu » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:24 pm

"Has been turned"; bad grammar. Lin is much better than fisher, but Harden is too ball dominate so it's expected for him to be a bystander.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,125

Post#99 » by moocow007 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:28 pm

dunleavyjr wrote:Maybe Lin's games with the Knicks last season was a fluke. Rockets need to stop the bleeding. Sometimes I feel like Harden is like a Carmelo Anthony, causing a distraction to Lin's game. I don't know...

Carmelo Anthony and Lin had more games where both were clicking than Harden and Lin.

But you may be onto something here. Lin during Linsanity was pretty much the clear top dog and he was allowed to basically free-style in D'Antoni's free-styling system. That meant attacking the basket at pretty much his discretion and either taking his own shot (option 1) or dishing out to shooters or cutters (option 2).

I don't think there's much of that going on in Houston...and that probably is throwing off the best parts of Lin's game. Lin is best attacking the basket...he's got great quickness and able to change angles on a dime. But to do that he needs to be the primary ball handler.

Not sure if it's the Rockets gameplan to have the ball go through Harden or if Harden (freed from the burden and shadow of Durant/Westbrook) is trying to live his inner Michael Jordan but the system is not condusive to Lin's skills. Now I'm not saying that Lin is Allen Iverson or any such thing but Lin's strength was not as a corner jump shooter. Sure he made several nice (and honestly real, realy surprising) shots as a Knick but they were based on him being in synch from driving and DOMINATING the ball.

The Rockets need to figure out some way where both guys can get into synch and keep in synch. Despite the hot start it's becoming apparent I think that Harden isn't a bonafide no.1 option on a top notch team. And I'm not sure that Lin is either. Trying to peg one or the other as the no.1 is not going to work.

The pairing isn't working right now and again TBQH it looks like it's working even less than Lin and Anthony did when they were together (Lin actually had the backing of the head coach and had to have the ball in his hands since Anthony isn't someone that is going to handle the ball as much as a guy like Harden can).
NYK_89
Assistant Coach
And1: 72

Post#100 » by NYK_89 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:30 pm

Jesus it was not a "few" weeks it was literally like 6 weeks. He has said even before the season he is not 100% and its not like he has been abysmal, just need some time to find his shot. Also where are all the people believing he would average 5+ turnovers a game now

Return to The General Board