What's wrong with Tyreke Evans?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Fred Williamson
Lead Assistant
And1: 517

What's wrong with Tyreke Evans? 

Post#1 » by Fred Williamson » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:02 am

20/5/5 in his rookie season and hailed as the new superstar guard among the Kobe's and Wade's, and now he's getting progressively worse every season, averaging a whooping 11/5/3 this year

Cleveland Cavs
Senior
And1: 118

Re: What's wrong with Tyreke Evans? 

Post#2 » by Cleveland Cavs » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:07 am

I dont think he will get any better in Sacramento, theres only 1 way that he can average his rookie numbers and thats going to a new team.
Jaykoolzboy
Assistant Coach
And1: 96

Post#3 » by Jaykoolzboy » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:08 am

If he can't score in Sac, what makes you think he can score more in other places? Dude just wasn't that good to start with.
pross
Veteran
And1: 174

Post#4 » by pross » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:10 am

A few things.

1. The Kings trying to make him a PG then a SF. What is it? He played SG in his first year and you saw his stats.

2. Teams figured out the guy can't shoot. Defend off him and force him to hit the jump shot and you'll win the game. He's dangerous when he gets to the lane.
Fred Williamson
Lead Assistant
And1: 517

Post#5 » by Fred Williamson » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:14 am

pross wrote:
2. Teams figured out the guy can't shoot. Defend off him and force him to hit the jump shot and you'll win the game. He's dangerous when he gets to the lane.

he had three years to improve it though, but now his shooting % are at an alltime low
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#6 » by No-Man » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:19 am

Character, IQ, shoot.

also he's in the worst scenario for him, being in a franchise that doesn't want to invest in their assets...
pross
Veteran
And1: 174

Post#7 » by pross » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:21 am

Fred Williamson wrote:
pross wrote:

he had three years to improve it though, but now his shooting % are at an alltime low

Well that's another thing, teams have figured him out, yet he doesn't seem to want to improve his game to combat that.
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#8 » by kingkirk » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:26 am

Jaykoolzboy wrote:If he can't score in Sac, what makes you think he can score more in other places? Dude just wasn't that good to start with.

If he wasn't that good to start with, how did he put up those godly numbers that had everyone raving?

Its not like he has had to take a back seat to more accomplished players on a winning team all of a sudden.

Something drastic has happened, be it to him personally or that ball club in general.

I don't know what it is, and im not going to try and guess, but no one walks into the NBA and puts in 20 5 5 without being 'that good'.
bledredwine
RealGM
And1: 3,883

Post#9 » by bledredwine » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:33 am

yeah, Tyreke has blown my mind with how he managed to get worse since age 20....

Maybe he has a different lifespan and he hits his prime at age 20 whereas others hit it at 27?

Hey, everyone's different.

I'm actually bummed. His rookie season, he definitely looked like the real deal. You can't fake what he did that year, stepping up to the occasion and leading the team first year.
https://undisputedgoat.medium.com/jordan-in-the-clutch-30f6e7ed4c43
LBJ clutch- 19 of 104 career: https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/lebron_james_has_only_made_19_of_107_shots_in_clutch_situation_during_his_career_178_fg_125_from_3_pointers/s1_16751_38344895
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,722

Post#10 » by AussieBuck » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:34 am

He's possibly the worst jump shooting non center in the league and he doesn't have a rookie of the year gimmick offense to play with anymore.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
playaloc916
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,290

Post#11 » by playaloc916 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:39 am

pross wrote:
Fred Williamson wrote:
pross wrote:

Well that's another thing, teams have figured him out, yet he doesn't seem to want to improve his game to combat that.

And here I thought I was getting a sleeper pick in fantasy. There was a wiretap article recently about him specifically working on his shooting in the summer. Guess we can see it didn't work out as we all expected. And here I thought he was going to put up rookie type numbers this season, lol.
Wavy Q
RealGM
And1: 2,390

Post#12 » by Wavy Q » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:47 am

He cannot shoot the ball, like at all.
orangeparka
Head Coach
And1: 187

Post#13 » by orangeparka » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:48 am

I still think he could be a good player, ala Rudy Gay-like.

Decent but not quite all-star.
PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,977

Post#14 » by PerkinsFor3 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:49 am

Tweener with the wrong mentality. Francisesque.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#15 » by ManualRam » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:50 am

nothing. this is what he is when isn't give the freedom to do whatever the hell he wants to do on the basketball floor and has to try to fit into a team concept.

the kings tried to build him up as a future superstar his rookie yr and screwed up his development by giving him carte blanche without earning it. he already had some terrible habits to begin with and that rookie yr just reinforced them. putting him in even a slightly different role forced him to try to unlearn most of what he knew about basketball, which was glorified streetball or that pound-the-ball-into-the-floor iso crap ripped from the doldrums of the early 2000s. all he knew was how to dominate the ball. take the ball out of his hands and he's like a fish out of water. put him off the ball and he has to think on his feet, which he's not good at either.

also, some guys just can't shoot the ball regardless of how hard they work on it. tyreke is one of those players. every off-season since he's been in the league i hear about how he's been working hard on his shot, followed by a video of him with a tweaked form hitting a number of consecutive jumpers. then when you see him in the game it's that same old off-balance, ugly fadeaway for no reason.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Zedders
Sixth Man
And1: 613

Post#16 » by Zedders » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:54 am

Can't shoot, can't play off the ball, hasn't improved his game, jerked around positions, not in a good organization.
Part-time Lover
Senior
And1: 58

Post#17 » by Part-time Lover » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:32 am

There's nothing wrong with him. He's really just a scrub. Plain and simple.
SSSFreak
Lead Assistant
And1: 854

Post#18 » by SSSFreak » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:41 am

The way he fades away on every shot he take annoys me no end. He'll be wide open at the 3 point line nobody else within seconds of contesting him and he'll fade away with his body at a 45 degree angle. WTH?

That will have to be the first thing he should fix if he ever wants to have a reliable jumpshot.
koko88
Rookie
And1: 301

Post#19 » by koko88 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:24 pm

AussieBuck wrote:He's possibly the worst jump shooting non center in the league

how in the world is he the worst non center jump shooting guy in the league? smh

i can name you at least 50 pf that are have a worst jump shot than tyreke. i can agree that he doesn't have a good js but this is embarasing. he is not even the worst js guard in the league.

Part-time Lover wrote:There's nothing wrong with him. He's really just a scrub. Plain and simple.

do you know what a scrub is? he just averaged 16.5 on 45% last season. yes he started slow this year but he is no scrub and i'm not even a fan of him.

but this is realgm ... where users think lottery picks are scrubs 6 days into the new season :lol:
-Kees-
Lead Assistant
And1: 52

Post#20 » by -Kees- » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:36 pm

I'm a believer in him, always have been. What you have to realize is he can get to the basket and finish better than almost anyone in this league. He's also a good defender, good on the fast break and can make plays for others. People always concentrate on the bad, but he has a lot going for him. Why hasn't he improved? I'm not sure, part of it has to do with coaching, part of it has to do with the organization in general and another part is not playing with gets who compliment him. You put him on a diff team (Warriors for example) with shooters where he can be one of the main creators and his coach has confidence in him and I can see him really turning things around.

Return to The General Board