Is Jeff Green an asset or liability?

Moderators: Morten Jensen, NO-KG-AI, Knickstape1214, Flash3, magnumt, Blame Rasho, tsherkin, Yuri Vaultin

cnv2855
Banned User
Posts: 321
And1: 6
Joined: Jul 30, 2012

Is Jeff Green an asset or liability? 

Post#1 » by cnv2855 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:38 am

If Danny Ainge picked up the phone and offered Jeff Green and his $32m contract for absolutely nothing, would any GM in the league take the offer?

Has a player ever been given away? Is it against the rules?

The guy is horrible. He's slow. Puts absolutely no effort. And I don't think he's sober. The way he gives interviews, the absolutely atrocious reaction speed, the complete lack of effort. I really think he's drugged out on benzos. Just watch him play... There's no way this dude he's clear-headed.

He needs to be gtfo. If I were Doc Rivers, he'd be riding the pine and would never come off the bench... but why pay $32m to a player who shouldn't get any minutes?
User avatar
Scorpion King
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,276
And1: 96
Joined: Dec 20, 2008

Re: Is Jeff Green an asset or liability? 

Post#2 » by Scorpion King » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:43 am

Liability for sure. They should have never traded for him. Signing him to that contract is another mistake.

From his body language he seems not happy. I bet he still misses OKC. Having Kevin Garnett has your team does not help.
cnv2855
Banned User
Posts: 321
And1: 6
Joined: Jul 30, 2012

Re: Is Jeff Green an asset or liability? 

Post#3 » by cnv2855 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:45 am

Scorpion King wrote:Liability for sure. They should have never traded for him. Signing him to that contract is another mistake.

From his body language he seems not happy. I bet he still misses OKC. Having Kevin Garnett has your team does not help.


Watch a few of his interviews. I have a lot of friends with bad drug habits and he sounds exactly like them when they're barred out. Listen to how he almost slurs his words, how slow they are pronounced, and how he's so "out of it".

Has any player ever been given away?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM4A1eKFrHU
kingofcomedy
Banned User
Posts: 859
And1: 10
Joined: Aug 10, 2012

Re: Is Jeff Green an asset or liability? 

Post#4 » by kingofcomedy » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:45 am

He adds zero value to that team, he sucks, why not just keep perk who filled a position of need and pay him instead of jeff gree
bballjunkie281
Senior
Posts: 585
And1: 32
Joined: Dec 31, 2010

Re: Is Jeff Green an asset or liability? 

Post#5 » by bballjunkie281 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:45 am

There are some teams that are in dire need of a SF, like the Cavs or Kings. I suggested a trade on the Celtics board that I wonder if the Cavs would be willing to do: Green/Sullinger/Lee for Varejao/Casspi. It gives the Celtics the center they needed and the Cavs get an upgrade at SF, a young promising PF prospect and a good bench wing that they lack. Casspi becomes disposable in that scenario (well, he already is, as he has been playing pretty awful in the last year and a half and is now a fringe rotation player), so they send him as a filler, and the Celtics might be able to use him as a backup SF if Rondo/Pierce/KG can mentor him to at least return to something resembling his rookie year form. I think it's a win/win trade.
User avatar
Scorpion King
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,276
And1: 96
Joined: Dec 20, 2008

Re: Is Jeff Green an asset or liability? 

Post#6 » by Scorpion King » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:52 am

bballjunkie281 wrote:There are some teams that are in dire need of a SF, like the Cavs or Kings. I suggested a trade on the Celtics board that I wonder if the Cavs would be willing to do: Green/Sullinger/Lee for Varejao/Casspi. It gives the Celtics the center they needed and the Cavs get an upgrade at SF, a young promising PF prospect and a good bench wing that they lack. Casspi becomes disposable in that scenario (well, he already is, as he has been playing pretty awful in the last year and a half and is now a fringe rotation player), so they send him as a filler, and the Celtics might be able to use him as a backup SF if Rondo/Pierce/KG can mentor him to at least return to something resembling his rookie year form. I think it's a win/win trade.


Varejao is valued highly by Cavs management and fans. It is a bad trade for Cavs to trade him for a player who is playing terrible and coming off a major surgery.

I honestly do not know why Ainge gave him that contract ? Were there a lot of suitors for him ?
User avatar
Fantaxp7
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,692
And1: 76
Joined: Aug 05, 2010
Location: Boston

Re: Is Jeff Green an asset or liability? 

Post#7 » by Fantaxp7 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:54 am

This is a ridiculous thread. I am one of many upset celtics fans who is pissed at the start Green has had...but seriously pointing to drugs???

And that trade would never happen.
j_angel
Analyst
Posts: 3,116
And1: 363
Joined: Jul 09, 2012
Location: England

Re: Is Jeff Green an asset or liability? 

Post#8 » by j_angel » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:58 am

He has just had a year off.

This Green hate is pathetic.

Atm he is not playing great, but hes getting like 20mins a game. He needs time and confidence. Both will come.
Stat Padder
Junior
Posts: 269
And1: 7
Joined: Mar 29, 2012
Location: Lagos

Re: Is Jeff Green an asset or liability? 

Post#9 » by Stat Padder » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:02 am

Jeff green can become a james worthy like player for the celtics
I aplogise for my poor english as I a from nigeria :)
User avatar
I_Socrates
General Manager
Posts: 7,626
And1: 818
Joined: Jun 16, 2008
       

Re: Is Jeff Green an asset or liability? 

Post#10 » by I_Socrates » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:37 am

cnv2855 wrote:
Scorpion King wrote:Liability for sure. They should have never traded for him. Signing him to that contract is another mistake.

From his body language he seems not happy. I bet he still misses OKC. Having Kevin Garnett has your team does not help.


Watch a few of his interviews. I have a lot of friends with bad drug habits and he sounds exactly like them when they're barred out. Listen to how he almost slurs his words, how slow they are pronounced, and how he's so "out of it".

Has any player ever been given away?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM4A1eKFrHU




Stop being SO DISRESPECTFUL!

The man had a major heart issue and for you to say nonsense like that is not right. Speak whatever and however you want to about his game, but don't make personal assertions like you know what's going on, that's just not fair.
BobbySura
Rookie
Posts: 1,245
And1: 154
Joined: Dec 31, 2005

Re: Is Jeff Green an asset or liability? 

Post#11 » by BobbySura » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:13 am

he just had heart surgery, he'll get into form eventually.

I don't agree with the signing though, you don't drop that kinda money on a guy who needs time to recover and is still a question mark if he does recover fully or not, especially when you're trying to win a championship
User avatar
Young_Star11
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 20,264
And1: 494
Joined: Oct 28, 2005
Location: RealGM
   

Re: Is Jeff Green an asset or liability? 

Post#12 » by Young_Star11 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:02 pm

Looking like a liability at the moment. Could have signed him for a discount. Who else was going to drop $40 million on him?

Hope he does recover.
User avatar
Insanity91
Senior
Posts: 740
And1: 64
Joined: May 17, 2011

Re: Is Jeff Green an asset or liability? 

Post#13 » by Insanity91 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:47 pm

At the moment a liability. But the Celtics might need him in the future in case someone goes down with an injury.
Image
User avatar
WhateverBro
Head Coach
Posts: 6,258
And1: 951
Joined: Jan 17, 2005
Location: Sweden
   

Re: Is Jeff Green an asset or liability? 

Post#14 » by WhateverBro » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:43 pm

He was out for a year following heart surgery and people are already complaining? He's been playing OK so far IMO. Started the season pretty bad but has played pretty good recently aside from tonights Detroit game. Give him some more time and he'll be fine.
User avatar
nykballa2k4
RealGM
Posts: 18,255
And1: 1,508
Joined: Jul 26, 2004
Location: There are good players and there are bad players... Then...there's the other guys
       

Re: Is Jeff Green an asset or liability? 

Post#15 » by nykballa2k4 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:22 pm

The problem is Jeff Green doesn't do anything really well. I mean, his BEST case would have been a Glenn Robinson career. That clearly did not happen. His next stop is Lee Nailon.

Green is an average defender, a bonus offensive player, but lacks 3pt range.
There is no asterisk on ANY N.B.A. titles.

Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Plan for success: draft Towns, sign Asik, Win. TAW
User avatar
Ayt
RealGM
Posts: 45,130
And1: 2,081
Joined: Jun 27, 2005

Re: Is Jeff Green an asset or liability? 

Post#16 » by Ayt » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:25 pm

Stat Padder wrote:Jeff green can become a james worthy like player for the celtics


Current James Worthy?
Dr Pepper
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,944
And1: 336
Joined: Jun 10, 2010

Re: Is Jeff Green an asset or liability? 

Post#17 » by Dr Pepper » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:30 pm

Liability. You don't give a tweener that has a bad heart and missed an entire season a mutliyear deal. I know Celtics need depth versatility for the ancient Pierce and KG, but you're not really getting that with Green until next season and on top of that he's arguably not that good of a player. Bad stuff for a window that is getting shut
Kobe vs MJ "Clone Wars" NBA.com video:

Frosty wrote:Funny this is called Clone Wars because Kobe is like the second installment of the Star Wars series. It looked like Star Wars but came up short. But it did appeal to the kiddies.
Golabki
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,920
And1: 328
Joined: Jan 31, 2005

Re: Is Jeff Green an asset or liability? 

Post#18 » by Golabki » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:40 pm

nykballa2k4 wrote:The problem is Jeff Green doesn't do anything really well. I mean, his BEST case would have been a Glenn Robinson career. That clearly did not happen. His next stop is Lee Nailon.

Green is an average defender, a bonus offensive player, but lacks 3pt range.
This is right. People hoped he would be more like Marion than Robinson, but whatever.

Too bad a rebounder to play a lot of PF. Not much of an interior defender. Just a pretty defender against perimeter player (he has a much better reputation than he deserves). Not a good shooter. Not a good ball handler or passer.

The thing is, these limitations aren't new. They've been there his whole career.

The contract is real bad, similar to the Outlaw deal from a few years ago.
redzealots
Sophomore
Posts: 100
And1: 2
Joined: Jul 25, 2012
Location: Riverside

Re: Is Jeff Green an asset or liability? 

Post#19 » by redzealots » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:04 pm

the lakers can offer the celtics


Chris Duhon
Steve Blake
and an option of Earl Clark and or Devin Ebanks.

This would make both teams automatically better.
redzealots
Sophomore
Posts: 100
And1: 2
Joined: Jul 25, 2012
Location: Riverside

Re: Is Jeff Green an asset or liability? 

Post#20 » by redzealots » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:06 pm

the lakers can throw in a ron artest in there too, and get brandon bass back.


so a multiplayer trade of


Ebanks
Blake
Duhon
Artest


for

Green
Bass
1st round pick

Return to The General Board