Michael Kidd-Gilchrist Prime

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

What will his prime stats know?

20,7, 3, 1.5 blocks, 2.4 steals
61%
15,7, 3, 1.5 blocks 1.5 steals
32%
Other List
7%

Total votes: 88

TwentyOne920
Lead Assistant
And1: 129

Re: Michael Kidd-Gilchrist Prime 

Post#41 » by TwentyOne920 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:51 pm

Marion-Iguodala hybrid. Possibly with him being the best big wing of the 2010s.
bertrob wrote:Any casual fan saying anything about Tim Duncan is usually wrong

bobly wrote:Kobe locked up his All Defensive Team this year after he blocked Lebron in the all-star game.
jax98
RealGM
And1: 3,013

Post#42 » by jax98 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:01 am

MKG has Pippen "traits". That's where the comparison ends. Scottie was just exceptional, a true legend of the game and one that helped reinvent the small forward position and basically crowned the "point forward" term.

Comparing MKG to the GOAT perimeter defender (and even going as far as saying "Rich's man's Pippen") after 9 games just proves to me that people are absolutely starving for a player that resembles the greats from that generation. Which is fair.

But that doesn't make the comparison right.

The Iguodala/Marion comparisons with better leadership are spot-on, though. And that's bloody good. That's an All-NBA player right there.
crosko42
Starter
And1: 681

Post#43 » by crosko42 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:52 am

Morten Jensen wrote:MKG has Pippen "traits". That's where the comparison ends. Scottie was just exceptional, a true legend of the game and one that helped reinvent the small forward position and basically crowned the "point forward" term.

Comparing MKG to the GOAT perimeter defender (and even going as far as saying "Rich's man's Pippen") after 9 games just proves to me that people are absolutely starving for a player that resembles the greats from that generation. Which is fair.

But that doesn't make the comparison right.

The Iguodala/Marion comparisons with better leadership are spot-on, though. And that's bloody good. That's an All-NBA player right there.

I agree with all of this post.

I think a lot of people commenting about him getting to a pippen level need to go back and watch some games of prime pippen.

I think he definitely has the tools to make it happen, but the odds are he falls short of reaching anywhere near that level in his career.

I think he ends up as a perennial all-nba and all-defense player and a possible superstar in the league. I just don't think he gets to the same level as someone who is ranked by most in the top 20-25 all time.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 19,900

Post#44 » by tsherkin » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:58 am

Not sure what to think just yet. He's looked OK at scoring. For a 19 year-old rookie, "ok" is pretty good. Needs a jumper, but he's not boogly at the foul line, so there's some promise there and even this season, we can expect his long J under the arc to settle back towards a more reasonable percentage at some point. Really nice on the offensive glass, and at rebounding in general. Great physical tools, great motor.

I don't see Pippen. I don't see that kind of playmaking in him, but I think he's showing all of what you want to see from a really young guy: tons of potential and some solid early returns. It won't be long until he's really good; he's quite useful already.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,090

Post#45 » by SWedd523 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:53 am

While I enjoy other people drawing comparisons to Pippen, I have a really hard time claiming he'll be as good as a top 25 all time player.

He's already a terrific defender/rebounder and has First Team All-D and 10+ board seasons potential. That alone will make him infinitely valuable and worthy of a #2 pick. Add that to his much better than expected offensive game and you have the makings of a truly special player.

He doesn't have a very good jumper (as was known all along) but his ability to handle the ball, beat his man off the dribble, pass, and move off the ball keep him effective and efficient.

Pippen? Doubtful. Not as a knock on MKG, just praise for Pip. But MKG has as much potential as any other young swingman in the league

MagicStarwipe wrote:Pippen could play PG. Can MKG? Serious question, I haven't seen much of him.

Honestly, yes. His ball handling is much better than expected and has, on numerous occasions, taken a defensive rebound and gone coast to coast for a bucket or foul. For example:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tiUtvCl-ic[/youtube]

I have full faith that he could play PG in spot minutes or even initiate the offense if he wanted to.
TwentyOne920
Lead Assistant

Post#46 » by TwentyOne920 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:59 am

I wouldn't want him to play point forward a lot but I could see him as a capable secondary ball-handler, which frees guys like Kemba Walker to play off the ball.

bobly wrote:Kobe locked up his All Defensive Team this year after he blocked Lebron in the all-star game.
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Post#47 » by Downtown » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:05 am

I would be a fool to compare him to any specific player BUT from what I've seen so far he can impact a game in multiple areas, which is how Pippen was, and also Lebron James. On that level? Certainly not. But he's sure a pleasure to watch and is a handful for opposing teams. My guess is that after a few more games teams scouting reports will plan around him when figuring out how to play the Bobcats.

I'm just happy for the Charlotte fans. Walker is coming around to his draft status. Mullens is playing like the bargain of the year. They finally have the look of an organized team, so give big credit to the new coach. Sessions has been a good signing, and after this season will have some decent cap space for another significant free agent, and it looks like they are right on line with the plan their GM Rich Cho laid out last year.

It looks promising except for Bismack Biyombo not being where they had hoped although to be fair they knew he would be a project.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#48 » by tsherkin » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:05 am

SWedd523 wrote:
MagicStarwipe wrote:Pippen could play PG. Can MKG? Serious question, I haven't seen much of him.

Honestly, yes. His ball handling is much better than expected and has, on numerous occasions, taken a defensive rebound and gone coast to coast for a bucket or foul.

You know, SHAQ could and did grab defensive boards, book it in transition and go for the coast-to-coast bucket every now and again. It's not an indication of PG ability. Meantime, a coast-to-coast doesn't actually tell you anything about PG abilities. More important would be his sense of tempo, his usage of the PnR, finding the hot hand, how well he remembers and runs sets, poise at the end of the clock, etc.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#49 » by tsherkin » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:08 am

Downtown wrote:I'm just happy for the Charlotte fans. Walker is coming around to his draft status. Mullens is playing like the bargain of the year. They finally have the look of an organized team, so give big credit to the new coach. Sessions has been a good signing, and after this season will have some decent cap space for another significant free agent, and it looks like they are right on line with the plan their GM Rich Cho laid out last year.

It looks promising except for Bismack Biyombo not being where they had hoped although to be fair they knew he would be a project.

+1 to this post. It's nice to see things coming together, especially after the way last year played out. Even the Gordon signing is working out.
TwentyOne920
Lead Assistant

Post#50 » by TwentyOne920 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:22 am

The Bobcats are basically distancing themselves from the previous era and look to have a plan.

Oh, and wasn't Cho with OKC when they built their core?

flashwade33
Junior
And1: 16

Post#51 » by flashwade33 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:42 am

Wow, can't believe how underrated Pippen is in this forum. Especially his court-vision. MKG resembles Pippen's game on the defensive end and his ability to get to the rim-but what made Pip special was on top of that he had great court vision. Not sure MKG has that.
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,536

Post#52 » by ComboGuardCity » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:51 am

TwentyOne920 wrote:The Bobcats are basically distancing themselves from the previous era and look to have a plan.

Oh, and wasn't Cho with OKC when they built their core?

He was with Portland, which would've had a better core than OKC if it wasn't for unfortunate injuries.

I think MKG will be an all star. Not Pippen, but maybe Shawn Marion when he played for the Suns with Nash...which is an Amazing player.
JoseChinga
Banned User
And1: 23

Post#53 » by JoseChinga » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:54 am

2nd best SF in the NBA behind James.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#54 » by tsherkin » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:59 am

JoseChinga wrote:2nd best SF in the NBA behind James.

You think he'll surpass Durant?
Charsace
Pro Prospect
And1: 43

Post#55 » by Charsace » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:07 am

Offensively I think his potential is Wade. Defensively he could be Pippen.
hokageinfamus
Senior
And1: 29

Post#56 » by hokageinfamus » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:07 am

Every 6'8 athletic SF with long arms is compared to Pippen, but anyways his ceiling imo is Gerald Wallace meets Igoudala
flashwade33
Junior
And1: 16

Post#57 » by flashwade33 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:14 am

Charsace wrote:Offensively I think his potential is Wade. Defensively he could be Pippen.

:lol:
Stun704
Lead Assistant
And1: 226

Post#58 » by Stun704 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:30 am

hokageinfamus wrote:Every 6'8 athletic SF with long arms is compared to Pippen, but anyways his ceiling imo is Gerald Wallace meets Igoudala

Wallace and Igudala using the porta earrings = Pippen no?
Pimpwerx wrote:I was a fan of the Lakers...Yankees... It took me almost a decade to become a fan of the Miami teams...I know it's frowned upon, but if you can look at it as an outsider, it's easier to understand why it happens. PEACE.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#59 » by tsherkin » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:31 am

Charsace wrote:Offensively I think his potential is Wade. Defensively he could be Pippen.

I dunno about that.

Right now, we haven't seen enough of what he can do as an isolation or pick-and-roll player, both HEAVILY utilized components of Wade's game (especially prime Wade). MKG still does most of his work in transition and spotting up (though of course, SSS). At a similar age, Wade at Marquette was a more advanced ball-handler and playmaker who had a more effective mid-range game. That is kind of significant.
Charsace
Pro Prospect
And1: 43

Post#60 » by Charsace » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:33 am

flashwade33 wrote:

:lol:

KG has the best change of direction with the basketball of any sf in the league. And he finishes everything around the basket. He's a good ball handler too. He looks good working in the post. I think offensively he can be a sf version of Wade.

Return to The General Board