Michael Kidd-Gilchrist Prime

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

What will his prime stats know?

20,7, 3, 1.5 blocks, 2.4 steals
61%
15,7, 3, 1.5 blocks 1.5 steals
32%
Other List
7%

Total votes: 88

Stun704
Lead Assistant
And1: 226

Re: Michael Kidd-Gilchrist Prime 

Post#61 » by Stun704 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:34 am

tsherkin wrote:
Charsace wrote:Offensively I think his potential is Wade. Defensively he could be Pippen.

I dunno about that.

Right now, we haven't seen enough of what he can do as an isolation or pick-and-roll player, both HEAVILY utilized components of Wade's game (especially prime Wade). MKG still does most of his work in transition and spotting up (though of course, SSS). At a similar age, Wade at Marquette was a more advanced ball-handler and playmaker who had a more effective mid-range game. That is kind of significant.

If that was true Wade would have went 2nd after Lebron when he came out.. or would have declared for the draft earlier. MKG is a better player then Wade was at 19
Pimpwerx wrote:I was a fan of the Lakers...Yankees... It took me almost a decade to become a fan of the Miami teams...I know it's frowned upon, but if you can look at it as an outsider, it's easier to understand why it happens. PEACE.
hokageinfamus
Senior
And1: 29

Post#62 » by hokageinfamus » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:44 am

If that was true Wade would have went 2nd after Lebron when he came out.. or would have declared for the draft earlier. MKG is a better player then Wade was at 19

I agree with MKG being better at 19 but Wade probably goes number 2 in the Draft if scouts weren't so hung up about whether he was a one or a two
Charsace
Pro Prospect
And1: 43

Post#63 » by Charsace » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:47 am

hokageinfamus wrote:

I agree with MKG being better at 19 but Wade probably goes number 2 in the Draft if scouts weren't so hung up about whether he was a one or a two

No, no he doesn't. Even if scouts thought for sure that Wade was a 2 he wouldn't have gone before the guys taken ahead of him. Melo was number until Darko. And there were actually people saying Darko would go number in any other draft if Lebron wasn't so special.
hokageinfamus
Senior
And1: 29

Post#64 » by hokageinfamus » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:47 am

Wallace and Igudala using the porta earrings = Pippen no?

:lol: yeah pretty much but I don't think he'll be as good of a passer or ball handler, Igoudala in the sense that he'll be a lockdown defender
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,090

Post#65 » by SWedd523 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:01 am

tsherkin wrote:You know, SHAQ could and did grab defensive boards, book it in transition and go for the coast-to-coast bucket every now and again. It's not an indication of PG ability. Meantime, a coast-to-coast doesn't actually tell you anything about PG abilities. More important would be his sense of tempo, his usage of the PnR, finding the hot hand, how well he remembers and runs sets, poise at the end of the clock, etc.

MKG does it a fair bit more than "every now and again". He's also shown, on a consistent basis, to be able to beat his defender with either hand and has shown the ability, when given time to create, to find open players when the defense collapses on him.

He's not LeBron. But if you were to put the ball in his hands, he'd be comfortable both bringing the ball up the floor, running the p&r and initiating the offense. That is remarkable for a guy his age and much further along than most expected from him at this point.

ComboGuardCity wrote:He was with Portland, which would've had a better core than OKC if it wasn't for unfortunate injuries.

I think MKG will be an all star. Not Pippen, but maybe Shawn Marion when he played for the Suns with Nash...which is an Amazing player.

Cho was working with Presti in OKC when they built their core. He didn't go to Portland until later
niQ
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 29,158

Post#66 » by niQ » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:15 am

Guy wrote:MKG is pretty damn good.
Reign Three
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#67 » by Reign Three » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:27 am

23/9/4/2/2

Re: Playmaking
I'm not surprised to see him converting on the break. That's exactly what he did at Kentucky. He can also pass decently in transition. In that sense he can assume a point guard's duties in the way that a Lawson or a vintage Arenas would make plays. The fact that he's a solid defensive player will allow him to rely on this facet of his game as he develops his halfcourt game. On that point...

While his handle is good enough to operate in the halfcourt, I don't know if he has the awareness. With some of the royal jelly, he may very well develop this ability. If he can't get it to work consistently, he should defer to the point guards on his team to create baskets and focus on playing his game.
B-easy
Sixth Man
And1: 469

Post#68 » by B-easy » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:31 am

If the bobcats do anything special this season or the coming seasons, it will be because of MKG. Its funny to think that a lot of bobcat fans were disappointing with MKG and #2, not anymore though.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,194

Post#69 » by amcoolio » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:14 am

B-easy wrote:If the bobcats do anything special this season or the coming seasons, it will be because of MKG. Its funny to think that a lot of bobcat fans were disappointing with MKG and #2, not anymore though.

With Davis' constant injuries, maybe its a blessing in disguise. MKG has a ways to go but he is only 19. Thats pretty cool
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
CoolCool_bb
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#70 » by CoolCool_bb » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:38 am

I definitely agree with those saying that it's a little premature to compare him to Pippen because of Pip's career. However it's also a little premature to say that he won't either. When Pippen first came into the league he came form a DII school, didn't start and avg only 8 pts a game. I'm pretty sure no one was thinking he'd become the top 25-30 player of all time he turned out to be. I think it's really just too soon to tell exactly how far MKG can go.
Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Post#71 » by Halcyon » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:48 am

I think he can be somewhere in between those averages. Doubt he can be a consistent 20 ppg scorer but 15 seems a bit low.
Vindicater
General Manager
And1: 423

Post#72 » by Vindicater » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:22 am

Could be a Pippen like player.

Will more likely be a Gerald Wallace type player.

Bobcats will be happy either way.
"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."
Zedders
Sixth Man
And1: 613

Post#73 » by Zedders » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:25 am

Igoudala with testicular fortitude.
TwentyOne920
Lead Assistant
And1: 129

Post#74 » by TwentyOne920 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:32 am

I see him as a 20/10 player if:

The Bobcats prove a commitment to uptempo ball
and
he plays with a weak rebounding big a la Amar'e
bertrob wrote:Any casual fan saying anything about Tim Duncan is usually wrong

bobly wrote:Kobe locked up his All Defensive Team this year after he blocked Lebron in the all-star game.
Bizz
Senior
And1: 322

Post#75 » by Bizz » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:06 pm

I think MKG will be what Ron Artest could be if he had his head straight. MKG is not as athletic as Wallace or Marion. And is not yet the play maker that Pippen or Iggy were(are). But he is already stronger than most SFs in the league. Plays great D and is good in beating his defender of the dribble. While most remember Ron for his Palace brawl and late career he was an all star and a top 10 player in the league before the brawl. He averaged close to 20 ppg and played elite defense. That is what I envision MKG to become. But looking how much he already impacted the Bobcats, it is time to sit back and enjoy his development as the season goes on. He has the potantial and the mindset to be one of the best SFs in this league considering the lack of talent at swingman positions in recent years.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 19,900

Post#76 » by tsherkin » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:17 pm

Stun704 wrote:If that was true Wade would have went 2nd after Lebron when he came out.. or would have declared for the draft earlier. MKG is a better player then Wade was at 19

If Detroit wasn't so fascinated with Darko, then it's possible that Wade could have gone higher. There was confusion about his position and he didn't have the same kind of hype that was generated by Melo winning the title or Lebron for... being Lebron. The 03 draft was pretty epic, and Detroit's idiocy is legendary at this point.

SWedd523 wrote:MKG does it a fair bit more than "every now and again". He's also shown, on a consistent basis, to be able to beat his defender with either hand and has shown the ability, when given time to create, to find open players when the defense collapses on him.

Dribble penetration != being a point guard, though, that's kind of the root of my point: being able to go coast to coast, being able to dribble penetrate, these do not equate to the ability to run an offense. Being able to pass well doesn't even necessarily mean that, you know? I think people are excited about MKG (and from what I've seen, rightfully so) but I'm not sure where the PG stuff is coming from.

He's not LeBron. But if you were to put the ball in his hands, he'd be comfortable both bringing the ball up the floor, running the p&r and initiating the offense. That is remarkable for a guy his age and much further along than most expected from him at this point.

Advancing the ball up the court is extraordinarily easy and the most overrated part of playing the point. I'm sure he could do that because Garnett can do that. Unless there's some kind of crazy half-court press going on, which is reasonably rare, this isn't important. The question is more about mental approach than anything else, and there hasn't been enough shown at this stage to make that claim. He's showing plenty to indicate that he's going to be a pretty solid player and it's possible that, similar to someone like Pippen, he might show things a little differently over time, but I haven't really seen "point forward" (which is what many are indicating) from him in terms of his vision or ability.

That's not really a bad thing, though, especially with Walker already on the team and the Cats looking to develop him. He could be a secondary ball-handler, though, that's always useful.
JoseChinga
Banned User
And1: 23

Post#77 » by JoseChinga » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:38 pm

tsherkin wrote:
JoseChinga wrote:2nd best SF in the NBA behind James.

You think he'll surpass Durant?

Totally forgot about my man KD35, I take that back.

3rd best SF in the NBA.
Charsace
Pro Prospect
And1: 43

Post#78 » by Charsace » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:52 pm

Bizz wrote:I think MKG will be what Ron Artest could be if he had his head straight. MKG is not as athletic as Wallace or Marion. And is not yet the play maker that Pippen or Iggy were(are). But he is already stronger than most SFs in the league. Plays great D and is good in beating his defender of the dribble. While most remember Ron for his Palace brawl and late career he was an all star and a top 10 player in the league before the brawl. He averaged close to 20 ppg and played elite defense. That is what I envision MKG to become. But looking how much he already impacted the Bobcats, it is time to sit back and enjoy his development as the season goes on. He has the potantial and the mindset to be one of the best SFs in this league considering the lack of talent at swingman positions in recent years.

I think MKG is a better athlete than Wallace or Marion. He doesn't jump as high as Wallace or have the ability to quickly jump like Marion, but he is faster, quicker, changes directions better, and has better balance and coordination.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#79 » by tsherkin » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:54 pm

JoseChinga wrote:Totally forgot about my man KD35, I take that back.

3rd best SF in the NBA.

Heh. I did that in another thread a few days ago. Looked back at my list before anyone caught me and fixed it, though. I was sitting there going :oops: 'how the Hell did I do that?' :D

MKG certainly has intriguing potential. If you look at him right now, he's doing pretty well on offense for a kid his age and in his situation. It's nice that he doesn't have to shoulder the #1 scorer burden, so he can ease into things, like learning how to shoot and letting himself get comfortable with the speed of the game at the NBA level. He's got fantastic physical tools and he's really exploiting transition opportunities right now.

Right now, his scoring opportunities can be categorized as transition, offensive board and spot-ups (on which he's shooting abysmally)... he's not doing a lot of anything else. About 36% of his total possessions (40/111) have been in transition or from offensive boards. Another 19% or so (21) have been spot-ups, where he's just been terrible as mentioned.

But he's showing a little of this and a little of that. He's been particularly impressive in the post, which is encouraging, given his size. I saw this one move against the Bucks where he got the ball in backdown, did an inside pivot, then spun back away from the key and into his defender for the foul. Beautiful footwork. He's got a nice jab step and he's bloody quick out of the elbow face-up. REALLY quick. Big shoulders, good strength to absorb contact... I mean, they need to spam sets of him in the post a lot more often and see just how well he can keep that up. His rip-through move is absurd, it looks like someone cut a frame or two out of the film. Nice drop-step, too.

I'd like for him to show more going middle, but of course he's only really posted like 10 times all season so far. Still, I'd like to see some more counters, because eventually guys are going to load up baseline on him and he's going to need to adjust, but in the meantime, Charlotte needs to run that set a lot. They've got a couple of different ways to get into a post-up for MKG, the most common seeming to be one where he starts out on the left wing and then cuts down after someone cuts out. Reminds me a lot of how the Spurs used to get D-Rob into position, only they don't bother to rub off with a cross-screen.

Anyway, he's looking good. His evolution should go...

"Pull-up jumper in the bottom half of the circle/around the elbow"
"Drop-step into the lane for hook shot"
"Turnaround fallaway from the low block"
"Develop perimeter shot, including 3pt shot"
"..."
"Profit"
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#80 » by tsherkin » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:55 pm

Charsace wrote:I think MKG is a better athlete than Wallace or Marion. He doesn't jump as high as Wallace or have the ability to quickly jump like Marion, but he is faster, quicker, changes directions better, and has better balance and coordination.

He's got more power than Marion and he's faster than Gerald Wallace, IMO. Or quicker, more specifically. His foot speed is kind of dirty. He's more explosive than I thought he was watching him before the season. He is well-suited to the NBA, athletically speaking.

Return to The General Board