Michael Kidd-Gilchrist Prime

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

What will his prime stats know?

20,7, 3, 1.5 blocks, 2.4 steals
61%
15,7, 3, 1.5 blocks 1.5 steals
32%
Other List
7%

Total votes: 88

ComeAtMeBro
Bench Warmer
And1: 377

Re: Michael Kidd-Gilchrist Prime 

Post#81 » by ComeAtMeBro » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:04 pm

I think he's a better Iguodala. And that's saying a lot, Iguodala is an All-Star caliber player, I think MKG will certainly be among the very best swingman in the game, very best overall defenders and really be good.

They need a new team around him entirely though.
Irony
Step 1: Hate the Lakers
Step 2: Watch LeBron go to Miami
Step 3: Call Heat fans, "bandwagoners"
Step 4: Root for Lakers, Hate the Heat
Step 5: Refused to be classified as Laker "bandwagoner" since Heat formed.
TwentyOne920
Lead Assistant
And1: 129

Post#82 » by TwentyOne920 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:04 pm

tsherkin wrote:
JoseChinga wrote:Totally forgot about my man KD35, I take that back.

3rd best SF in the NBA.

Heh. I did that in another thread a few days ago. Looked back at my list before anyone caught me and fixed it, though. I was sitting there going :oops: 'how the Hell did I do that?' :D

MKG certainly has intriguing potential. If you look at him right now, he's doing pretty well on offense for a kid his age and in his situation. It's nice that he doesn't have to shoulder the #1 scorer burden, so he can ease into things, like learning how to shoot and letting himself get comfortable with the speed of the game at the NBA level. He's got fantastic physical tools and he's really exploiting transition opportunities right now.

Right now, his scoring opportunities can be categorized as transition, offensive board and spot-ups (on which he's shooting abysmally)... he's not doing a lot of anything else. About 36% of his total possessions (40/111) have been in transition or from offensive boards. Another 19% or so (21) have been spot-ups, where he's just been terrible as mentioned.

But he's showing a little of this and a little of that. He's been particularly impressive in the post, which is encouraging, given his size. I saw this one move against the Bucks where he got the ball in backdown, did an inside pivot, then spun back away from the key and into his defender for the foul. Beautiful footwork. He's got a nice jab step and he's bloody quick out of the elbow face-up. REALLY quick. Big shoulders, good strength to absorb contact... I mean, they need to spam sets of him in the post a lot more often and see just how well he can keep that up. His rip-through move is absurd, it looks like someone cut a frame or two out of the film. Nice drop-step, too.

I'd like for him to show more going middle, but of course he's only really posted like 10 times all season so far. Still, I'd like to see some more counters, because eventually guys are going to load up baseline on him and he's going to need to adjust, but in the meantime, Charlotte needs to run that set a lot. They've got a couple of different ways to get into a post-up for MKG, the most common seeming to be one where he starts out on the left wing and then cuts down after someone cuts out. Reminds me a lot of how the Spurs used to get D-Rob into position, only they don't bother to rub off with a cross-screen.

Anyway, he's looking good. His evolution should go...

"Pull-up jumper in the bottom half of the circle/around the elbow"
"Drop-step into the lane for hook shot"
"Turnaround fallaway from the low block"
"Develop perimeter shot, including 3pt shot"
"..."
"Profit"

So plays aren't really designed for him but he nevertheless takes advantage.

You know what would be intriguing? Spurs-Bobcats games. MKG and Kawhi Leonard have similar skill sets (though Leonard has a better perimeter shot).
bertrob wrote:Any casual fan saying anything about Tim Duncan is usually wrong

bobly wrote:Kobe locked up his All Defensive Team this year after he blocked Lebron in the all-star game.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 19,900

Post#83 » by tsherkin » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:05 pm

TwentyOne920 wrote:So plays aren't really designed for him but he nevertheless takes advantage.

You know what would be intriguing? Spurs-Bobcats games. MKG and Kawhi Leonard have similar skill sets (though Leonard has a better perimeter shot).

Yeah, that wasn't designed as a criticism, but a compliment; with his athletic tools, that's precisely what he should be doing until the team starts running more iso sets and post-ups for him. He's young and not a focal player but he's taking advantage of what he's getting, and when he gets a play run, he's using it well.
Charsace
Pro Prospect
And1: 43

Post#84 » by Charsace » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:07 pm

tsherkin wrote:
Charsace wrote:I think MKG is a better athlete than Wallace or Marion. He doesn't jump as high as Wallace or have the ability to quickly jump like Marion, but he is faster, quicker, changes directions better, and has better balance and coordination.

He's got more power than Marion and he's faster than Gerald Wallace, IMO. Or quicker, more specifically. His foot speed is kind of dirty. He's more explosive than I thought he was watching him before the season. He is well-suited to the NBA, athletically speaking.

Agreed. He didn't look this athletic at Kentucky. But then Anthony Davis didn't look as good at Kentucky as he has looked in the league. Most likely the result of Cal trying to show off the talents of guys like Teague.

Kawhi has a subset of the skills and natural ability that MKG has.
TwentyOne920
Lead Assistant

Post#85 » by TwentyOne920 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:09 pm

Just like Leonard's role last season; this season he's been featured more on offense (and it shows: he's practically doubled his turnover percentage).

I think MKG's floor is a more athletic Luol Deng - basically someone who just plays balls-out while doing a little bit of everything well.

Of course, there's a good supply of that mold of big wing - apart from hybrid scorers like Durant/Anthony or guys like Paul Pierce/Rudy Gay/Danny Granger, that seems to be what big wings tend to do. Mostly they play off a ball-dominant guard, so a "little things" wing would be a great compliment.

bobly wrote:Kobe locked up his All Defensive Team this year after he blocked Lebron in the all-star game.
Spurtatcus
Starter
And1: 29

Post#86 » by Spurtatcus » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:11 pm

MKG reminds me of a more atheltic Kawhi Leonard. He's going to be a great player someday, hopefully Kawhi will reach that level
TwentyOne920
Lead Assistant

Post#87 » by TwentyOne920 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:14 pm

Spurtatcus wrote:MKG reminds me of a more atheltic Kawhi Leonard. He's going to be a great player someday, hopefully Kawhi will reach that level

I think Leonard's biggest advantage is that he has the same role as MKG but has far more talented teammates (imagine your defensive anchor being Tim Duncan instead of Brendan Haywood, for one).

And I think Leonard will do fine; he actually did better in the playoffs last season (and players typically regress in their first real playoff run) than over the course of last season.

When do the Spurs face the Bobcats again?

tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 19,900

Post#88 » by tsherkin » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:15 pm

TwentyOne920 wrote:I think MKG's floor is a more athletic Luol Deng - basically someone who just plays balls-out while doing a little bit of everything well.

Meh. Deng isn't a good comparison. He's too much better a shooter and too much worse handling the ball. I don't hold much with the whole "MKG is a point forward" crew, not really, but he can dribble-penetrate much more effectively than Deng has ever shown himself capable of doing. And really, seems better at things other than spotting up than Deng already.

Lots and lots of elbow and baseline face-ups. Power in the paint and strong handles in traffic, good footwork. We'll see. He's young, it's early, and he's not high-usage.. but you can only show so much with what you've got and he's coming through. We'll see what happens when he hits The Wall, but for now, he's showing all of the right stuff and much of it should maintain.
Stat Padder
Junior
And1: 7

Post#89 » by Stat Padder » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:16 pm

27/9/6 on 49 %
I aplogise for my poor english as I a from nigeria :)
toddlincoln
Junior
And1: 68

Post#90 » by toddlincoln » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:22 pm

Bobcats play the Spurs December 8th and January 30th.

Bobcats are fun to watch in general this year. Because of their poor shooting, they attack the rim like mad men and get out in transition as much as possible. You see a lot of 3/4 court press as well and stretches of gimmick zone defenses that a lot of other teams won't try.

Also I think Shawn Marion is the perfect comparison. Crazy jumpshot, quick and athletic, awesome rebounder for position and defensive superstar potential. Fits to a T. I'd be happy with that outcome.
ITK9
Lead Assistant
And1: 16

Post#91 » by ITK9 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:44 pm

Check PMs
Hoopz Afrik
Veteran
And1: 2,061

Post#92 » by Hoopz Afrik » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:59 pm

I see him as kind of a Iguodala/Ron Arest hybrid. Not as strong as Artest, not as athletic as Iguodala. Offensively I think he'll be similar to Gerald Wallace is his prime years with less propensity to shooting threes.
Super Eagles GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Fred Williamson
Lead Assistant
And1: 517

Post#93 » by Fred Williamson » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:33 pm

I actually think there is no player like MKG in the league. So these whole "more athletic/more offensive XYZ" comparisons don't make any sense to me. Lets just wait and see how he develops. He will definitely become an impact player in this league though. Whether as a roleplayer or potential allstar. Fun to watch too.

And I have to admit I thought he would be a legit bust
MaxRider
RealGM
And1: 5,805

Post#94 » by MaxRider » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:03 pm

prime MKG will be defensive player of the year
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 9,978

Post#95 » by MrSparkle » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:00 pm

Lots of flashes of future all-star IMO..

Good attitude..
Very good ball-handling and ability to get to rim...
Very good finishing ability..
Amazing defense for a 19yo..
Unselfish, very active and good WITHOUT the ball (making him very efficient)..
Elite size at his position (SF)..

Obviously outside shooting is a problem, but that hurts guards (Iguadala, Evans) more than forwards (Wallace, young Pippen).

He looks better than G. Wallace as far as dribbling and driving goes, and we'll see but so far doesn't have nagging injuries. Not to mention Gerald wasn't an NBA starter at the age of 19.
BodieB
Veteran
And1: 3,291

Post#96 » by BodieB » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:29 pm

I still think people are very much underrating his intangibles. Although there's nothing wrong with his ceiling being Wallace or Marion, I think he's peak will be much higher because of his drive.
FingerRoll
Sixth Man
And1: 336

Post#97 » by FingerRoll » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:24 pm

20/7/3

I think he has alot of potential. As a young prospect, I would love to have him on my team. Although I'm enjoying seeing him and Kemba string together some winds early on in their careers and really turn around the Bobcats.
FootballFan33
Freshman
And1: 2

Post#98 » by FootballFan33 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:19 am

Bust.
14 ppg tops if he takes enough shots.
ReturnofMVP3
RealGM
And1: 11,580

Post#99 » by ReturnofMVP3 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:25 am

A better version of Shawn Marion imo.
Donald Trump is an idiot.
JackFinn
RealGM
And1: 1,605

Post#100 » by JackFinn » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:31 am

22.0 pts
8.7 reb
5.6 ast
2.9 stls
.491 fg%
55 wins

.... is probably not something Gilchrist will reach.

Return to The General Board