The OFFICIAL Rookie impressions thread pt. II

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

JustinSane
Bench Warmer
And1: 62

Re: The OFFICIAL Rookie impressions thread pt. II 

Post#81 » by JustinSane » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:52 am

Lillard had a bad shooting night and it's tough to get layups against Detroit when Drummond is in. It happens; Lillard is still awesome.

Singler is really good, particularly given that he's playing out of position. Going into the draft a year and a half ago, there was question whether he was quick enough to guard NBA 3s, and he's starting at the 2. Singler will be a very good 3 for 10 years IMHO. He just does everything right - hustles, takes good shots, makes them, plays good defense, moves well without the ball, and seems to have about .5 seconds worth of precognitive ability. He's always moving to where the ball will be. Very smart player.
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#82 » by Blkbrd671 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:02 am

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:
Knight had little, if anything, to do with Lillards shooting. If anything, it was your guys length at the rim that got to him, he had plenty of open shots and good looks that usually go down.

Now, props to Knight for getting around Lillard, no one is claiming Lillard is even a decent defender. But Knight's D was only marginally better, Lillard got around him almost any time he wanted.

i disagree about knights defense but to each his own. defense at pg position is pointless debate as they are screened off 90% of the time any ways
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#83 » by Blkbrd671 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:02 am

JustinSane wrote:Lillard had a bad shooting night and it's tough to get layups against Detroit when Drummond is in. It happens; Lillard is still awesome.

Singler is really good, particularly given that he's playing out of position. Going into the draft a year and a half ago, there was question whether he was quick enough to guard NBA 3s, and he's starting at the 2. Singler will be a very good 3 for 10 years IMHO. He just does everything right - hustles, takes good shots, makes them, plays good defense, moves well without the ball, and seems to have about .5 seconds worth of precognitive ability. He's always moving to where the ball will be. Very smart player.

nice post
kurtis48239
General Manager
And1: 1,056

Post#84 » by kurtis48239 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:03 am

Knight took lilard out of his game tonight,I think the way knight was going at it ,he got into lilards head early and it showed ,but like blk said hes a rook and this isnt the end all for him.
deepeeenn
Senior
And1: 522

Post#85 » by deepeeenn » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:56 am

From my POV, It wasn't entirely Knight's D and to be quite frank it was rarely just him that wore on Lillard. It was Detroit's pressure when Damian had the ball.

Coming off the screens, the defending big showed hard and slowed Lilliard enough to either let Knight recover or he'd get doubled/trapped then flustered. This didn't allow him to have many clean looks from deep, as he'll take shots from behind his screener/pick or off the side where the defending big is supposed to show. This is Damian's 1st option (from what I've seen) on offense if he can free himself out top on a PnR.

Detroit did not give him many clean opportunities, the ones that were clean looks, he didn't hit. Detroit's D forced him to drive and he was really struggling finishing at the hoop. I think that's partly because Detroit's bigs have very good length BUT he was also chucking up garbage at the hoop. He is not known to be very good at finishing at the hoop currently. He will get better but is probably something he's struggling with transitioning from small ball college to the NBA. Many of these shot were kind of head-scratchers which made you think he was either looking to draw the foul and it never came and he was trying to sell it or he was getting fouled and no calls were made. He had almost no problem getting around Knight but mainly when using a pick or after transition.

So bad shooting night? Yes.
Brandon Knight's D? Yes, A little.
Detroit's big men doing what they need to do on D? Mostly.
Did Knight's offensive stats make this match up look worse? Yes. But he was hot while Lillard was cold.
Being a Blazer fan isn't exactly healthy.
Goldtop
Banned User
And1: 165

Post#86 » by Goldtop » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:25 pm

Knights D was very good on Lillard. The Pistons team D was even better. But maybe the biggest factor in Lillard's 4-18 wasn't defense at all, rather Knight's 26 pts.

Kelser mentioned it in the broadcast, that one of the first things you have to do to defend a great scorer is make them work on defense too. I thought Knight took it to him on offense right from the start, and I think Lillard maybe got a little frustrated on defense himself and allowed it to carry over to his offense. Where he was also pressured heavily by Knight and other Piston defenders on top of it.

If you start out the game 0-6, 1-7. I'd understand a bad shooting night. But 0-12 FG to start the game is not just a bad night shooting. Its a bad night shooting combined with a great defensive game plan and your opposing PG going for 26 making you work on defense too.
scrop32
Junior
And1: 26

Post#87 » by scrop32 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:33 pm

Blkbrd671 wrote:
DeBlazerRiddem wrote:
Knight had little, if anything, to do with Lillards shooting. If anything, it was your guys length at the rim that got to him, he had plenty of open shots and good looks that usually go down.

Now, props to Knight for getting around Lillard, no one is claiming Lillard is even a decent defender. But Knight's D was only marginally better, Lillard got around him almost any time he wanted.

i disagree about knights defense but to each his own. defense at pg position is pointless debate as they are screened off 90% of the time any ways

^ but Knight has poor defensive awareness, he also offers little resistance to opposing players especially starting guards.
dude has a f***** 0.3 steals/game :nonono: :nonono: :nonono:
orangeparka
Head Coach
And1: 187

Post#88 » by orangeparka » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:17 pm

Damn, Lillard got owned hard lol.

Not to worry, he's just a rook and he'll bouce back. Another stepping stone for him.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#89 » by ManualRam » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:32 pm

Blkbrd671 wrote:
UGA Hayes wrote:Gotta say, I am bit shocked by how well Kyle Singler has played so far this year.

your not the only one. ppl forget how good he was in college

he wasn't that good in college though. he was seen as a player who regressed after his sophomore year.
i think it was the his experience in europe that really helped him.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Cro_Ruption
Sixth Man
And1: 93

Post#90 » by Cro_Ruption » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:06 pm

orangeparka wrote:Damn, Lillard got owned hard lol.

Not to worry, he's just a rook and he'll bouce back. Another stepping stone for him.

well put
SharoneWright wrote:I would not trade Bargs for Roy.

Monster or no.

i said it. And I live in a flame retardent suit.
BeasleyTheBeast
Analyst
And1: 49

Post#91 » by BeasleyTheBeast » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:23 pm

Goldtop wrote:
BeasleyTheBeast wrote:
Moose10Fan wrote:Kyle Singler has really impressed me.

this

is he a keeper or is he going to get screwed once teams take him seriously?

If you're asking for fantasy, idk anything about how that works, but he's definitely a keeper in reality, because he doesn't need shots to be effective. Its hard to stop a player from doing intangibles like he does.

Tonight he only needed 7 shots to get 16 pts, 10 rebs, and 5 asts.

He's almost like a perimeter version of Varejao. He just makes the right plays at the right time, hustles hard, plays D, and limits mistakes. There's not a lot a defense can do to stop a player like that.

Yeah I was speaking in reality, I was a big fan of Singler when he was a senior in high school.
Inreponse to Derrick Rose's Brother criticising the Bulls FO

RunSunRun wrote:"Wait...Derrick Rose has a brother, can he play?"

- Suns front office
Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,315

Post#92 » by Shem » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:57 pm

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:Knight had little, if anything, to do with Lillards shooting. If anything, it was your guys length at the rim that got to him, he had plenty of open shots and good looks that usually go down.

Bingo!
April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
Shem
RealGM

Post#93 » by Shem » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:58 pm

BeasleyTheBeast wrote:Yeah I was speaking in reality, I was a big fan of Singler when he was a senior in high school.

Are you from Oregon?
April 4, 2014:

Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#94 » by Kabookalu » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:34 pm

At the Raptors board we're going through a meme trend and thought I'd share this one that I made that I thought was funny.

Read on Twitter
Shem
RealGM

Post#95 » by Shem » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:08 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5VOBanp_zM[/youtube]
April 4, 2014:

JungleCat022
Junior
And1: 64

Post#96 » by JungleCat022 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:19 am

Waiters 16 points, 7 assists, 7-20 shooting.
BIG FURB
Sixth Man
And1: 134

Post#97 » by BIG FURB » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:36 am

JungleCat022 wrote:Waiters 16 points, 7 assists, 7-20 shooting.

20 shots to get 16 points :o
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#98 » by Kabookalu » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:07 am

:o

Read on Twitter
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,198

Post#99 » by EvanZ » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:12 am

I assume that's Ross?
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
JunkYardSubs
General Manager
And1: 149

Post#100 » by JunkYardSubs » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:15 am

Yeah he had a great game tonight. Played excellent defense. Shot the ball well (9-17... I'm going to say 9-16 since the last FGA was a desperate attempt at a putback) and just slammed the ball home constantly

Return to The General Board