The OFFICIAL Rookie impressions thread pt. II

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,827

Re: The OFFICIAL Rookie impressions thread pt. II 

Post#1041 » by The Sebastian Express » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:17 pm

Why did Davis play only 19 minutes last night? I saw he only had one foul, so I was wondering if he got hurt or if Monty was pulling a McMillan?
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,045

Post#1042 » by Liver_Pooty » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:43 pm

MKG with yet another solid game last night.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Mikez1919
Senior
And1: 55

Post#1043 » by Mikez1919 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:30 pm

The Sebastian Express wrote:Why did Davis play only 19 minutes last night? I saw he only had one foul, so I was wondering if he got hurt or if Monty was pulling a McMillan?

I was wondering the same thing
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#1044 » by j-ragg » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:23 pm

boogie-reke wrote:He's only playing 12 minutes a night right now and half the overall minutes the other 2 did - but look at these per 36 numbers :

16.1 points, 9.8 rebounds, 0.7 assists, 1.2 steals and 2.2 blocks - 49% from the field

15.8 points, 12.9 rebounds, 1.7 assists, 0.9 steals and 1.9 blocks - 48% from the field

Player 1 is Anthony Davis, player 2 is John Henson.

19.2 points, 7.9 rebounds 54% from the field.

Andrew Nicholson needs some love too 8-)
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
Smirk
Starter
And1: 1,594

Post#1045 » by Smirk » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:56 pm

The Sebastian Express wrote:Why did Davis play only 19 minutes last night? I saw he only had one foul, so I was wondering if he got hurt or if Monty was pulling a McMillan?

Team caught fire with him on the bench in the 4th and Monty decided to just roll with the lineup on the floor to pull off the win.

Even though they won, in retrospect, he should have pulled Ryno who just couldn't throw it in the ocean, and inserted Davis for defense, but they won so, who cares.
boogie-reke
Head Coach
And1: 244

Post#1046 » by boogie-reke » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:01 pm

j-ragg wrote:
boogie-reke wrote:He's only playing 12 minutes a night right now and half the overall minutes the other 2 did - but look at these per 36 numbers :

16.1 points, 9.8 rebounds, 0.7 assists, 1.2 steals and 2.2 blocks - 49% from the field

15.8 points, 12.9 rebounds, 1.7 assists, 0.9 steals and 1.9 blocks - 48% from the field

Yup. Him I got a chance to see alot more, and I really really like what I'm seeing as far as his offensive potential.

He doesn't really get to the line or takes contact - but he has such an incredible touch and so many ways to score in the post and his jumper too, that it doesn't affect his efficiency all that much - although if he did manage to draw more contact with headfakes and such, with his 80%+ FT ability he would be an insanely efficient offensive player.

His smoothness and elegant movement and footwork in the post is Hakeem-lite, dare I say.. he's so fluid.

Absolutely love his offensive potential. Almost a total package. I would be dissapointed if he's not an 18-20+ ppg scorer down the line in his career.

His defense is keeping him off the floor right now, but offensively he's a guy who can just score the ball with that sweet stroke or that feathery touch around the rim.. you don't get those type of bigman in every draft. He's absolutely a keeper for the Magic, great pick.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#1047 » by j-ragg » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:11 pm

boogie-reke wrote:
j-ragg wrote:

Yup. Him I got a chance to see alot more, and I really really like what I'm seeing as far as his offensive potential.

He doesn't really get to the line or takes contact - but he has such an incredible touch and so many ways to score in the post and his jumper too, that it doesn't affect his efficiency all that much - although if he did manage to draw more contact with headfakes and such, with his 80%+ FT ability he would be an insanely efficient offensive player.

His smoothness and elegant movement and footwork in the post is Hakeem-lite, dare I say.. he's so fluid.

Absolutely love his offensive potential. Almost a total package. I would be dissapointed if he's not an 18-20+ ppg scorer down the line in his career.

His defense is keeping him off the floor right now, but offensively he's a guy who can just score the ball with that sweet stroke or that feathery touch around the rim.. you don't get those type of bigman in every draft. He's absolutely a keeper for the Magic, great pick.

For someone who isn't a Magic fan you nailed it. I really wish he'd get to the line more but it is what it is.. he still is 30+ games into his career. Some of the best footwork I've seen in the entire league in the long time though.

I really wish his defensive awareness was better though too. And that Josh McRoberts would stop getting more minutes than him.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,976

Post#1048 » by PerkinsFor3 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:21 pm

Good to see Drew get some love here. Dude is probably the most skilled young big in the league when it comes to moves on O. It's weird how 'old' and slow he looks out there, but he gets everythin done in some slowmotion type of game. It's weird. With his big ass feet.
JWiLL02
RealGM
And1: 2,443

Post#1049 » by JWiLL02 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:51 pm

fishnc wrote:
boogie-reke wrote:I know we're Drummond this Drummond that, Anthony Davis this Anthony Davis that.

But aren't we forgetting someone?

John Henson. This kid has been getting inconsistent minutes, but in the times he got to play a bit more extended minutes he's been straight up dominating the box-score and rebounding the living crap out of the ball.

He's in a messed up situation in terms of minutes in Milwaukee, but whenever this kid plays he leaves his mark on the game it seems.

Sometimes I forget the Bucks are even in the league to be honest. They get absolutely zero coverage outside of Milwaukee.

Seriously. Larry Sanders is averaging 8/8 with over 3 blocks per and you hardly hear a word about his improvement.

I had a chance to pick him up in my 20 man fantasy league earlier this year and passed on him because I was looking for 3s. Narf.
*Sig courtesy of Raptors' royalty 'Turbozone'. http://www.turbozone.ca"
Han Solo
General Manager
And1: 7,443

Post#1050 » by Han Solo » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:28 pm

JWiLL02 wrote:
fishnc wrote:
boogie-reke wrote:I know we're Drummond this Drummond that, Anthony Davis this Anthony Davis that.

But aren't we forgetting someone?

John Henson. This kid has been getting inconsistent minutes, but in the times he got to play a bit more extended minutes he's been straight up dominating the box-score and rebounding the living crap out of the ball.

He's in a messed up situation in terms of minutes in Milwaukee, but whenever this kid plays he leaves his mark on the game it seems.

Sometimes I forget the Bucks are even in the league to be honest. They get absolutely zero coverage outside of Milwaukee.

Seriously. Larry Sanders is averaging 8/8 with over 3 blocks per and you hardly hear a word about his improvement.

I had a chance to pick him up in my 20 man fantasy league earlier this year and passed on him because I was looking for 3s. Narf.

I like Sanders and Henson. Henson is a poor man's Anthony Davis.
Han Solo
General Manager

Post#1051 » by Han Solo » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:32 pm

zzaj wrote:
Halcyon wrote:I just think he's gotten as much attention as he deserves, which shouldn't be that much. Play more than 12 mpg at that kind of rate and I think he will get any respect and attention that he is due. Guys like Lillard, Davis and Drummond deserve the praise they get for performing very well over a longer course of the game.

Although he's obviously going to be a good player (and I think eventually the best C of this draft), I don't think you can say that about Drummond. At 19.8 mpg he simply isn't in the same "sustainable" min played catagory of Lillard (38.1), Beal (31.3), Waiters (30.9) and Davis (30.7)

Drummond is productive every minute he's out there. This argument will be much easier in about a month.

Drummond's minutes are going up. Pistons may have actually done the right thing with Dre. His confidence is back (he lost it at UCONN), and he is a defensive force already.
Greg Stink
Starter
And1: 13

Post#1052 » by Greg Stink » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:50 pm

JWiLL02 wrote:
fishnc wrote:Sometimes I forget the Bucks are even in the league to be honest. They get absolutely zero coverage outside of Milwaukee.

Wanted Sanders for the Raps going into the '10 draft because he was always thought to be available at 13, but then Ed slipped and I was happy that BC grabbed him. BC might've gone Patterson over Larry if Ed were gone, but looking at the three I would take Larry. Awesome. But those are three really nice PFs drafted 13-15.

I did pick up Larry in fantasy, though. 13 blocks so far this week...
Han Solo
General Manager

Post#1053 » by Han Solo » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:17 am

Greg Stink wrote:
JWiLL02 wrote:
fishnc wrote:Sometimes I forget the Bucks are even in the league to be honest. They get absolutely zero coverage outside of Milwaukee.

Wanted Sanders for the Raps going into the '10 draft because he was always thought to be available at 13, but then Ed slipped and I was happy that BC grabbed him. BC might've gone Patterson over Larry if Ed were gone, but looking at the three I would take Larry. Awesome. But those are three really nice PFs drafted 13-15.

I did pick up Larry in fantasy, though. 13 blocks so far this week...

I like Ed Davis. Why did it take him this long to start? -Bargnani (lol) I wanted Detroit to draft him (got Monroe, can't complain though). He is like an extended family member to Ben Wallace. Ben wanted Detroit to take him really bad to mentor him.

Glad to see him finally getting some time out there.

Big Ben's Little Bro'

But Ben Wallace never rose to that level and became not only a four-time Defensive Player of the Year but the bedrock of Pistons teams that won one NBA title and challenged for several others. Davis knows full well of Wallace’s impact. His father, Terry Davis, shares an alma mater (Virgina Union) with Wallace, was a teammate of his with the Washington Wizards when Wallace broke into the NBA and lives near him in Virginia. Ed Davis, in fact, grew up calling Wallace “uncle” and Wallace calling him “little bro’ ” and was a regular at Wallace’s summer camps in Virginia.

“Ben’s like family to me,” Davis said. “We work out all summer. He’s from where my dad went. We spend time together in the summertime all the time. … If he was to come back and I would be drafted by them, it would just be great. It would be a fun thing.”

http://www.nba.com/pistons/features/davis_100604.html
Greg Stink
Starter

Post#1054 » by Greg Stink » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:38 am

Han Solo wrote:I like Ed Davis. Why did it take him this long to start? -Bargnani (lol) I wanted Detroit to draft him (got Monroe, can't complain though). He is like an extended family member to Ben Wallace. Ben wanted Detroit to take him really bad to mentor him.

Big Ben's Little Bro'

But Ben Wallace never rose to that level and became not only a four-time Defensive Player of the Year but the bedrock of Pistons teams that won one NBA title and challenged for several others. Davis knows full well of Wallace’s impact. His father, Terry Davis, shares an alma mater (Virgina Union) with Wallace, was a teammate of his with the Washington Wizards when Wallace broke into the NBA and lives near him in Virginia. Ed Davis, in fact, grew up calling Wallace “uncle” and Wallace calling him “little bro’ ” and was a regular at Wallace’s summer camps in Virginia.

“Ben’s like family to me,” Davis said. “We work out all summer. He’s from where my dad went. We spend time together in the summertime all the time. … If he was to come back and I would be drafted by them, it would just be great. It would be a fun thing.”

Yeah, the Detroit pre-draft coverage sold me on Ed, even though he was chewing gum the whole interview I saw. The Ben Wallace connection is great, so is the lineage. If GSW had brains they'd have taken Monroe over Udoh, and maybe Detroit takes Ed over Udoh, too. Seemed like they wanted him. Great score in Monroe, though- a no-brainer, we'll see what a new system can do for Moose and Co.

No complaints value-wise on Ed at 13, I still like him, but he's a bit meat/potatoes for me while Larry brings something special in his rim-protection. Re: PT, Ed has had two roadblocks in Andrea and your old pal Amir Johnson, who has just been plain better than Ed the whole time in a similar frame/role. Davis also had a rough sophomore slump.
Han Solo
General Manager

Post#1055 » by Han Solo » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:41 am

Greg Stink wrote:
Han Solo wrote:I like Ed Davis. Why did it take him this long to start? -Bargnani (lol) I wanted Detroit to draft him (got Monroe, can't complain though). He is like an extended family member to Ben Wallace. Ben wanted Detroit to take him really bad to mentor him.

Big Ben's Little Bro'

Yeah, the Detroit pre-draft coverage sold me on Ed, even though he was chewing gum the whole interview I saw. The Ben Wallace connection is great, so is the lineage. If GSW had brains they'd have taken Monroe over Udoh, and maybe Detroit takes Ed over Udoh, too. Seemed like they wanted him. Great score in Monroe, though- a no-brainer, we'll see what a new system can do for Moose and Co.

No complaints value-wise on Ed at 13, I still like him, but he's a bit meat/potatoes for me while Larry brings something special in his rim-protection. Re: PT, Ed has had two roadblocks in Andrea and your old pal Amir Johnson, who has just been plain better than Ed the whole time in a similar frame/role. Davis also had a rough sophomore slump.

Davis impressed me this year in a Raps/Pistons game. I like his game more than Amir's.
TwentyOne920
Lead Assistant
And1: 129

Post#1056 » by TwentyOne920 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:42 am

As a Spurs fan Davis really impresses me. Not a lot of guys post a double-double, then dunk on a HoFer in the next game.
bertrob wrote:Any casual fan saying anything about Tim Duncan is usually wrong

bobly wrote:Kobe locked up his All Defensive Team this year after he blocked Lebron in the all-star game.
Greg Stink
Starter

Post#1057 » by Greg Stink » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:52 am

Ed can definitely play. Tucking in his elbow changed a lot on his jumper and he's attacking more- gets up like a cat and he's got the magnet hands with nice touch around the rim. Getting destroyed on D most nights, though, and he's running out of gas. Amir is certainly a better all-around player but he's also got much more experience.
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#1058 » by ComboGuardCity » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:32 am

The OFFICIAL 3rd year impressions page
Greg Stink
Starter

Post#1059 » by Greg Stink » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:03 am

ComboGuardCity wrote:The OFFICIAL 3rd year impressions page

Sarry. That Ed/Larry stuff started with Henson. Go Henson!
Goldtop
Banned User
And1: 165

Post#1060 » by Goldtop » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:11 am

Greg Stink wrote:
ComboGuardCity wrote:The OFFICIAL 3rd year impressions page

Sarry. That Ed/Larry stuff started with Henson. Go Henson!

What happened to Henson? He never plays

Return to The General Board