The OFFICIAL Rookie impressions thread pt. II

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Jon1798
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,476

Re: The OFFICIAL Rookie impressions thread pt. II 

Post#1381 » by Jon1798 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:05 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:there are some factors in those assist numbers. Portland is 25th in 3pt% and 23rd in FG%. They are also about 28th in points in the paint. Portland just doesn't get many easy opportunity or fast break baskets and that's where a lot of PG's fatten-up their assist numbers

another factor is that Batum has been taking over a bigger role in initiating the offense. He's averaging 4.5 assist for the season but in December and January is averaging 5.6 assists.

and finally, opposing teams have made Lillard the focus of their defensive game plan since about 12-15 games into the season. This is no exaggeration. Lillard is aggressively defended for about 3/4 of the court, constantly. He's doubled more times then not, and almost always doubled in a pick-and-roll situation. Last season, Aldridge was the defensive focus, thei season it's Lillard. I can't remember a rookie getting quite so much attention from the other team's game plan. I seriously doubt that either Davis or Drummond are ever subject to that kind of defensive focus and attention. And for sure, neither of the bigs have anything close to the responsibility that Lillard has.

That's good stuff Wiz, I appreciate the numbers. Obviously it's easy to just see Mathews, Batum, Aldridge and Hickson and think that assists wouldn't be hard to come by.

One of the reasons I bring it up is because Lillard's ability to lead an offense and distribute was so questioned and I just never bought it. The kid has great handles, great speed, and is such a true basketball player. He's mature beyond his years. I think he should be a 9 assist a game type of player. And like I said, I think he will get there. Might take the guys around him to step it up, I'm sure a better bench wouldn't hurt too.

I don't particularly buy into the "teams are game planning him more" argument. As if teams aren't game planning Anthony Davis, etc. They certainly don't focus on Aminu and Robin Lopez. Teams run Davis off the blocks, they sag on the pick and roll, they try to get physical with him. That's the NBA. They find what you do best and they try to take it away from you. Obviously Lillard has still found a way to be productive.

Each player has their own advantages statistically. Davis and Drummond can literally take the basketball and place it in the goal. They are just so physically gifted with height and length. Lillard has the basketball in his hand every play. That's going to be a great advantage with racking up numbers. Comparing a PG from one team vs a big from another team is not ever going to be a true comparison. Which makes it so fun to discuss.
"This post wants out of New Orleans" - Woj
Mikez1919
Senior
And1: 55

Post#1382 » by Mikez1919 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:27 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUMp4c04-ms[/youtube]
Goldtop
Banned User
And1: 165

Post#1383 » by Goldtop » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:00 pm

From Elias: Andre Drummond came off the bench and registered 11 points, 11 rebounds and two blocked shots in Detroit's win over Orlando on Tuesday night. It marked the fourth time that the Pistons' rookie has recorded double-digits in points and rebounds and multiple blocked shots in the same game off the bench this season. The last rookie to do that at least four times in a reserve role in a single season was the Lakers' Vlade Divac in 1989-90 (five).

Vlade did it 5 times in the whole 89-90 season. Drummond has done it 4 times already in half a season.
whatchaknow
Analyst
And1: 716

Post#1384 » by whatchaknow » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:57 pm

Goldtop wrote:
From Elias: Andre Drummond came off the bench and registered 11 points, 11 rebounds and two blocked shots in Detroit's win over Orlando on Tuesday night. It marked the fourth time that the Pistons' rookie has recorded double-digits in points and rebounds and multiple blocked shots in the same game off the bench this season. The last rookie to do that at least four times in a reserve role in a single season was the Lakers' Vlade Divac in 1989-90 (five).

Vlade did it 5 times in the whole 89-90 season. Drummond has done it 4 times already in half a season.

Just out of curiosity do piston fans want Drummond to start or do they think he is in a good role right now? Kind of just gradually build his work load?? I love the kids upside and my fantasy team would love for him to play starter minutes. I just see more benefit by putting him the starting lineup and giving him that experience right now so he ha even less adjustments next year. Basically get as many road blocks out of the way now
Han Solo
General Manager
And1: 7,443

Post#1385 » by Han Solo » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:03 pm

Andre Drummond looks like the best "true" center prospect since Dwight Howard.

For all the naysayers (that are left). If you want proof of what this kid does in a game - look at the game threads of the opposing team when they play Detroit. I'm sure you'll find some comments that will explain Detroit fans excitement. This kid is a beast. He is involved in so many different things on the court. He is a producer. Plain and simple. He also makes your jaw drop at least once every game he plays. I haven't been this excited over a Pistons rookie EVER (and a fan since '81).
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,536

Post#1386 » by ComboGuardCity » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:49 pm

I'm content with him coming off the bench for now, but I would like to see him get more minutes with Monroe and the rest of the first unit.
Han Solo
General Manager

Post#1387 » by Han Solo » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:53 pm

ComboGuardCity wrote:I'm content with him coming off the bench for now, but I would like to see him get more minutes with Monroe and the rest of the first unit.

Word. Monroe and Drummond been looking good too out there lately when playing together.
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#1388 » by Blkbrd671 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:16 am

whatchaknow wrote:
Just out of curiosity do piston fans want Drummond to start or do they think he is in a good role right now? Kind of just gradually build his work load?? I love the kids upside and my fantasy team would love for him to play starter minutes. I just see more benefit by putting him the starting lineup and giving him that experience right now so he ha even less adjustments next year. Basically get as many road blocks out of the way now

It varies, i intially was all for starting Drummond however as a team, we are a lot better with him coming off the bench with the 2nd unit. HE IS THE SECOND UNIT. We surround Dre with shooters and give him a PG that no one can stay in front of, and have both going to the basket. Its a big if not the biggest reason for our recent push. Additionally with the amount of activity and plays Dre is involved in, i think 25mpg is where we'll see him at. It allows him to impact the game but also not hit the rookie wall early. Its also served to keep him motivated and energy up, something vastly undervalued by our fan base.

The only down side, which is evident, is he lacks chemistry with our starting unit. Its not really a major concern, it just means we have to wait just a little longer to see our core all on the floor at the same time. When moose is ready/comfortable to start at PF, and Krav is ready to be the defensive anchor of our second unit , you'll see Dre start. it'll probably be next year though
Han Solo
General Manager

Post#1389 » by Han Solo » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:25 am

Blkbrd671 wrote:
whatchaknow wrote:

It varies, i intially was all for starting Drummond however as a team, we are a lot better with him coming off the bench with the 2nd unit. HE IS THE SECOND UNIT. We surround Dre with shooters and give him a PG that no one can stay in front of, and have both going to the basket. Its a big if not the biggest reason for our recent push. Additionally with the amount of activity and plays Dre is involved in, i think 25mpg is where we'll see him at. It allows him to impact the game but also not hit the rookie wall early. Its also served to keep him motivated and energy up, something vastly undervalued by our fan base.

The only down side, which is evident, is he lacks chemistry with our starting unit. Its not really a major concern, it just means we have to wait just a little longer to see our core all on the floor at the same time. When moose is ready/comfortable to start at PF, and Krav is ready to be the defensive anchor of our second unit , you'll see Dre start. it'll probably be next year though

Good post. Will Bynum has been really good with Dre too. Bynum throws him 4 lobs a game and I don't think Knight has done it once this year with him. Pick and roll with both going towards the basket is lethal right now. Pistons have actually been nasty lately. Case in point - last night.
He Filled it Up
Veteran
And1: 1,429

Post#1390 » by He Filled it Up » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:29 am

Blkbrd671 wrote:It varies, i intially was all for starting Drummond however as a team, we are a lot better with him coming off the bench with the 2nd unit. HE IS THE SECOND UNIT. We surround Dre with shooters and give him a PG that no one can stay in front of, and have both going to the basket.

This. Detroit has to be the only team whose bench has a clear identity while the starting lineup has nothing. IMO it's the biggest reason for our improvement. Doesn't bode very well for the present, but I guess it looks good for the future.
Count that baby and a foul!
Han Solo
General Manager

Post#1391 » by Han Solo » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:30 am

He Filled it Up wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote:It varies, i intially was all for starting Drummond however as a team, we are a lot better with him coming off the bench with the 2nd unit. HE IS THE SECOND UNIT. We surround Dre with shooters and give him a PG that no one can stay in front of, and have both going to the basket.

This. Detroit has to be the only team whose bench has a clear identity while the starting lineup has nothing. IMO it's the biggest reason for our improvement. Doesn't bode very well for the present, but I guess it looks good for the future.

Spot on. Our starters been a little better lately though and that's producing more wins for us.

Were young. If we cut the turnovers down, we'd be tough to beat.
Bskey
Veteran
And1: 144

Post#1392 » by Bskey » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:54 am

At first I thought Drummond needed to be playing more and starting. However, even as a HUGE believer in him pre-draft I thought that's because he would need to be thrown into the fire and figure things out that way. Now though I like how Detroit is handling him. He's obviously way ahead of where most people thought he would be at this point, so they can afford to take their time with him.
Goldtop
Banned User
And1: 165

Post#1393 » by Goldtop » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:17 am

whatchaknow wrote:
Goldtop wrote:

I'm fine either way. I wanted him to start at the beginning of the year, but once he came out and said he likes how they are bringing him along slowly, then I'm all for whatever he thinks is best for him. And its hard to argue with the results so far.

Also, the team as a whole is playing really good with everyone in their current roles, so I don't see a reason to mess with it.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#1394 » by Blkbrd671 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:11 am

Detroit just loss. F* IT, START DRUMMOND!

HAHA
Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,306

Post#1395 » by Shem » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:18 am

Lillard with 20 points, 8 assists, and ZERO turnovers tonight!!!
April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,032

Post#1396 » by sisibilio » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:20 am

Am i the only one who thinks Ross might be the best SG in this class?
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#1397 » by Blkbrd671 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:21 am

Shem wrote:Lillard with 20 points, 8 assists, and ZERO turnovers tonight!!!

Beast!
He Filled it Up
Veteran
And1: 1,429

Post#1398 » by He Filled it Up » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:11 am

sisibilio wrote:Am i the only one who thinks Ross might be the best SG in this class?

It's possible, but Beal looks really good. Beal is certainly more skilled, but Ross has length and athleticism.
Count that baby and a foul!
menten
Sixth Man
And1: 1,013

Post#1399 » by menten » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:12 am

looks like anthony davis had another dissapointing game tonight
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager
And1: 1,663

Post#1400 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:33 am

sisibilio wrote:Am i the only one who thinks Ross might be the best SG in this class?

Beal is clearly better right now and only 19.

Return to The General Board