The OFFICIAL Rookie impressions thread pt. II

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

RoyalWun
Lead Assistant
And1: 471

Re: The OFFICIAL Rookie impressions thread pt. II 

Post#341 » by RoyalWun » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:53 pm

http://youtu.be/AUaPpgDpa9w

He's jumping the gun a bit labeling him as the RotY already but nice break down nonetheless.
Dammit...:

I've got Nurkic fever now.
Han Solo
General Manager
And1: 7,443

Post#342 » by Han Solo » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:37 am

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote:
orangeparka wrote:Can't be as bad as some of the Drummond peeps. There was a dude who said he had a chance at GOAT center or something like that. :rofl:

and he doesn't have a chance????

He needs to vastly improve his offensive game to compare to some of the greats at that position. He is behind them when they came into the league, although he is younger.

I mean, I suppose you could say that every young player has the potential to be the best ever at their position - but come on, that is a pretty ridiculous thing to say.

Drummond is legit.

Who cares about how he projects?

Bottom line:

Pre-draft people were calling him a bust. He is going to be dominant. He is athletically freakish for his size
Han Solo
General Manager
And1: 7,443

Post#343 » by Han Solo » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:53 am

I'd like to see Drummond in the slam dunk contest.

Drummond has great hands, he can catch and finish in traffic.

He runs the floor on the break just as good as any big in the league.

He's raw, but once he becomes comfortable, don't see any center in the league that has his potential.

I wouldn't trade him for any player from this years draft. Not bad for a 9th pick.

I got a feeling most lottery teams going forward won't pass on talent because of the "experts" opinions.

What I learned from this draft was the guys that were top rated out of high school and slipped a little due to their college performance should have still went higher.

College ball doesn't always translate to the NBA game.

Picks 3, 4, 5, and 8 were all mistakes in my opinion.
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#344 » by Blkbrd671 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:47 am

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:
He needs to vastly improve his offensive game to compare to some of the greats at that position. He is behind them when they came into the league, although he is younger.

I mean, I suppose you could say that every young player has the potential to be the best ever at their position - but come on, that is a pretty ridiculous thing to say.

We're not talking about what he needs to improve were talking about his chances. if he continues to progress with his athleticism ,growing body and feel for the game. he at least has a legitimate shot(chance) to be considered. I don't think 10 years from now T ross or Thomas Robinson are going to be in the discussion. While i agree that every player has the potential to, you can see the tiers of these players and who is more likely than others. Don't think its at all homerish to state taht AD is on that higher tier
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#345 » by Blkbrd671 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:49 am

Any here think Lillard will hit the rookie wall and hit it hard?

i think his production will decrease in the second half of the season, but idk if it'll be because of the rookie wall or because defenses will adjust
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,164

Post#346 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:26 am

Blkbrd671 wrote:We're not talking about what he needs to improve were talking about his chances. if he continues to progress with his athleticism ,growing body and feel for the game. he at least has a legitimate shot(chance) to be considered. I don't think 10 years from now T ross or Thomas Robinson are going to be in the discussion. While i agree that every player has the potential to, you can see the tiers of these players and who is more likely than others. Don't think its at all homerish to state taht AD is on that higher tier

I'm sorry dude, but it IS homerish to think he has a realistic chance to exist with all-around guys like Russel, Kareem, Shaq, Wilt or Olajuwon. I doubt he ever achieves the dominance of Duncan. His lack of shooting touch (or unstoppable offensive move) will limit him if nothing else, and without it, he just has no hopes of reaching the highest tier.

That isn't to say he is a bad player. He could very well end up on a similar level as Dwight - a 20/10 player with league leading defense. I was gonna say to Han Solo that I like Drummond - in fact I had the Blazers drafting him because I didn't believe Lillard would be as good as he has been.

But managing expectations will be important with him, and setting your sights on a Howard-esque career is much more realistic than a GOAT center.
Kaner
Sixth Man
And1: 8

Post#347 » by Kaner » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:39 am

Blkbrd671 wrote:
CarolinaBlue704 wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm sure when MKG starts producing if he does, all the lolcats posters will show up. and its more like Lillard with a pinch of drummond thread

When MKG starts producing? Is that suppose to be some sort of joke?

oh i'm sorry i forgot that you guys are sensitive. Your honestly reading way to much into it.

EDIT: When MKG has huge amazing games and makes amazing plays that should be on sports center, the char. fans will show up.

Uhh... so "starts producing" = has huge amazing games and top 10 plays in your eyes? GTFO, if you've actually seen MKG play at all, which it sounds like you haven't, you wouldn't make that statement.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers

Post#348 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:39 am

Blkbrd671 wrote:Any here think Lillard will hit the rookie wall and hit it hard?

i think his production will decrease in the second half of the season, but idk if it'll be because of the rookie wall or because defenses will adjust

I think we have already started seeing this.

I mean, it's quite a statement that defenses are already double teaming Lillard to get the ball out of his hands. He's been having to adjust to that, but the Blazers lack great ball handlers besides him, which is why you will see scrubs like Smith or Price playing alongside him.

Teams are also giving him no space behind the 3 point line, which was one of the first adjustments we saw from NBA defenses. However, as Lillard learns where his shots are coming from (and he does look to be a quick learner) his great shooting will continue to make him a threat. At that point the onus falls on his teammates to step up when defenses force the ball out of his hand. Which will bring down his averages, but doesn't mean his presence on the court isn't effecting the game as much.
TheGoodDoctor
General Manager
And1: 8,607

Post#349 » by TheGoodDoctor » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:51 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzJ7ADXKU6Y[/youtube]
kurtis48239
General Manager
And1: 1,056

Post#350 » by kurtis48239 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:56 am

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote:We're not talking about what he needs to improve were talking about his chances. if he continues to progress with his athleticism ,growing body and feel for the game. he at least has a legitimate shot(chance) to be considered. I don't think 10 years from now T ross or Thomas Robinson are going to be in the discussion. While i agree that every player has the potential to, you can see the tiers of these players and who is more likely than others. Don't think its at all homerish to state taht AD is on that higher tier

I'm sorry dude, but it IS homerish to think he has a realistic chance to exist with all-around guys like Russel, Kareem, Shaq, Wilt or Olajuwon. I doubt he ever achieves the dominance of Duncan. His lack of shooting touch (or unstoppable offensive move) will limit him if nothing else, and without it, he just has no hopes of reaching the highest tier.

That isn't to say he is a bad player. He could very well end up on a similar level as Dwight - a 20/10 player with league leading defense. I was gonna say to Han Solo that I like Drummond - in fact I had the Blazers drafting him because I didn't believe Lillard would be as good as he has been.

But managing expectations will be important with him, and setting your sights on a Howard-esque career is much more realistic than a GOAT center.

Could he be goat,I wont answear that right now ill wait a couple years but drummond has a good shooting touch and I bet by this time next year he will be at the same level as greg monroe is on his ft.The kid is definitly special and when you watch him you can see that,the only thing that will stop him from being the best center in the league will be himself,but as of right now all the signs and the talk coming from detroit is the kid has a good work habit.So we will wait and see,But imo if he started from the begining of the season he would probably win roy,hes only getting 15 minutes now and hes in the discusion.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers

Post#351 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:06 am

Well ok, I don't mean to sound like a hater because I am rooting for the guy, but I am definitely going to need to see much more to think he is on the path to greatest center of all time discussion.

Best center in the league? Yeah he has a chance at that, not a shoe in, but the current path he is on could at least lead him into that discussion. Which is absolutely incredible to be saying about him, since he is still very raw and years away, but he has been promising enough to think about.

But as soon as someone mentions GOAT it becomes obvious it is much more about a fan boys wet dream than realism.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#352 » by Blkbrd671 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:36 am

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:

i lost you there bud, Dwight howard coming up had a legitimate shot at least being considered in the conversation of elite players with his size and athletic ability. As i've discussed previously with Orlando fans is that at some point Dwight started focusing more on his brand rather than his game. I think we can all agree he kind of declined or plateaued after his finals appearance where it seemed as if he was just starting to reach his ultimate potential. so i'm confused how you say has the ability to get to a dwight howard level but not beyond that which dwight is/was capable of doing. Additionally Drummond as you mentioned is still 19, has a soft touch around the rim, his mechanics aren't shaqish when it comes to shooting and he the majority of his strength is in his base. Again will he develop on the offensive side of the ball.........i can't tell you.......but he has the tools and natural ability to develop a offensive game.

Just so i'm clear, i'm not saying or guratee'ing that his career is going to be GOAT Center. if he turns out to be a amare/Dwight type career i'll be more than happy. My point is that if you admit he has a CHANCE to have that sort of career, why doesn't he have a CHANCE to go beyond those type of players and enter another tier. Something those type of players each had the ability to do.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#353 » by Blkbrd671 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:53 am

Kaner wrote:Uhh... so "starts producing" = has huge amazing games and top 10 plays in your eyes? GTFO, if you've actually seen MKG play at all, which it sounds like you haven't, you wouldn't make that statement.

More like i haven't seen Charlotte fans come and rape this board like Detroit and Blazer fans have, but when MKG has a huge amazing game, i'm sure they'll show up. Which was the initial post. So calm your t*s

what i should have said was

and/or

some one dare say anything negative about a char player
menten
Sixth Man
And1: 1,013

Post#354 » by menten » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:02 am

terrence ross = sonny weems
bytheredwoods
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#355 » by bytheredwoods » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:12 am

Draymond Green with the game-wining layup against the Heat!
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,162

Post#356 » by ElectricMayhem » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:59 am

LeBron on Draymond Green

''He played hard, it was great competition out there between me and him,'' James said. ''I've also respected him especially in college, a big-time player and no one really gave him a shot, but you can tell he knows how to play the game.
''Any team that got him he will find a way to get minutes because he knows how to play the game and (Golden State) is a good fit for him. It was good to see him out there.''
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#357 » by Kabookalu » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:33 pm

I seriously don't know how Terrence Ross gets off on half the dunks he attempts. His athleticism is mind blowing. If Casey wasn't an idiot and valued two point guard lineups so much then we'd probably have seen a lot more highlight reel dunks so far.
Read on Twitter
TwentyOne920
Lead Assistant
And1: 129

Post#358 » by TwentyOne920 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:56 pm

Choker wrote:I seriously don't know how Terrence Ross gets off on half the dunks he attempts. His athleticism is mind blowing. If Casey wasn't an idiot and valued two point guard lineups so much then we'd probably have seen a lot more highlight reel dunks so far.

I think the Raptors organization is wary of high-flyers after VC...
bertrob wrote:Any casual fan saying anything about Tim Duncan is usually wrong

bobly wrote:Kobe locked up his All Defensive Team this year after he blocked Lebron in the all-star game.
tdotrep2
RealGM
And1: 25,353

Post#359 » by tdotrep2 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:36 pm

TwentyOne920 wrote:
Choker wrote:I seriously don't know how Terrence Ross gets off on half the dunks he attempts. His athleticism is mind blowing. If Casey wasn't an idiot and valued two point guard lineups so much then we'd probably have seen a lot more highlight reel dunks so far.

?
theycallmeZZ
Starter
And1: 2,363

Post#360 » by theycallmeZZ » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:54 pm

TwentyOne920 wrote:

I know right? Who the heck is DeMar DeRozan?

Return to The General Board