The OFFICIAL Rookie impressions thread pt. II

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Part-time Lover
Senior
And1: 58

Re: The OFFICIAL Rookie impressions thread pt. II 

Post#21 » by Part-time Lover » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:56 am

detroitKG wrote:Andre the Giant doing work:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCzQ3Y-Bnhk&feature=g-u-u[/youtube]

I was hoping that the rebounds and effort would be there, but I had no idea he would be so talented around the basket even as RAW as he still is. Brandon Knight said it best in his interview last night after the game. Saying that Dre has barely even scratched the surface of his talent to this point.

Damn... didn't realize he also had quick hands.
mvplayur
Junior
And1: 86

Post#22 » by mvplayur » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:32 am

Barnes is going to be a great role player on any team. he understands the game so well.
ybnd wrote:The fact is when they lose game 7 in the FIRST ROUND remember me fool...Klay Thompson does not play defense...and all the warriors do is run it up on **** teams....1st round exit
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,537

Post#23 » by ComboGuardCity » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:38 am

If I'm a UNC fan, I'm thinking: WHere the hell was this Harrison Barnes the past two years?
northoakland510
Starter
And1: 607

Post#24 » by northoakland510 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:55 am

Barnes with another double double.
DreDay
General Manager
And1: 3,212

Post#25 » by DreDay » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:04 am

I think Barnes is leading all rookies with double doubles. Not 100% sure on that though.
hellla
Senior
And1: 91

Post#26 » by hellla » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:06 am

^ I think Dame Lillard has one more
bandwagon warriors fan since 2005
"Steph Curry is like the police. You could put your hands up, but he's still shootin!" - Athletic Alchemy
JV4MVP
General Manager
And1: 9,582

Post#27 » by JV4MVP » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:10 am

ComboGuardCity wrote:If I'm a UNC fan, I'm thinking: WHere the hell was this Harrison Barnes the past two years?

College does not equal NBA ball.

That's why your avatar player was not that impressive against mostly silly amateur kids.

The NBA favors superb athletes and those with 1-on-1 skills. Iso opportunities are rarely possible in college.
dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,472

Post#28 » by dc » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:17 am

ComboGuardCity wrote:If I'm a UNC fan, I'm thinking: WHere the hell was this Harrison Barnes the past two years?

Before the draft, David Thorpe predicted this from Barnes and what he'd be doing in the NBA and that people would be asking the exact same question that you just did.

Basically, it's very difficult for a wing player of Barnes' size to get into the lane at will in college ball. You can pack the lane with as many people as you want and there is no defensive 3 seconds rule. Add to this the fact that the type of players around him (two post players in Henson, Zeller and a non-shooter PG in Marshall) couldn't really space the floor favorably. Heck, they relied on Barnes to be the main shooter because of this.

Now in the NBA things are more wide open. He's playing next to Steph Curry and Thompson, two of the league's better shooters. It's no surprise he's able to get into the lane like this.

College ball is going to be dominated by quick ballhandlers who can get their own shot off (Derrick Rose, Jay Williams) or mobile post players who can take advantage of the lack of good bigs in the NCAA (Sean May, Tyler Hansbrough, Antawn Jamison). It's rare to see 6'7"-6'8" wing players dominate. Guyis like Len Bias and Carmelo are the exceptions.
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
LeChosen1
Banned User
And1: 67

Post#29 » by LeChosen1 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:36 am

Just say Harrison Barnes all over the twitter feed, DAYUUUUUUUUUUUUM
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,182

Post#30 » by EvanZ » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:18 am

I was at the Warriors game tonight. The dunk by Barnes was absolutely ridiculous. Never seen a better dunk live.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
NaturalThunder
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#31 » by NaturalThunder » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:12 am

dc wrote:

Before the draft, David Thorpe predicted this from Barnes and what he'd be doing in the NBA and that people would be asking the exact same question that you just did.

Basically, it's very difficult for a wing player of Barnes' size to get into the lane at will in college ball. You can pack the lane with as many people as you want and there is no defensive 3 seconds rule. Add to this the fact that the type of players around him (two post players in Henson, Zeller and a non-shooter PG in Marshall) couldn't really space the floor favorably. Heck, they relied on Barnes to be the main shooter because of this.

Now in the NBA things are more wide open. He's playing next to Steph Curry and Thompson, two of the league's better shooters. It's no surprise he's able to get into the lane like this.

College ball is going to be dominated by quick ballhandlers who can get their own shot off (Derrick Rose, Jay Williams) or mobile post players who can take advantage of the lack of good bigs in the NCAA (Sean May, Tyler Hansbrough, Antawn Jamison). It's rare to see 6'7"-6'8" wing players dominate. Guyis like Len Bias and Carmelo are the exceptions.

Spot on.

I'm a UNC fan and, aside from the occasional mid-wee conference game or Sunday afternoon ACC game, I saw the vast majority of Harrison's college games. There's plenty of UNC fans that were saying they thought his game was better suited for the NBA and that he'd look better and come closer to living up to his pre-college hype once he got in the league. That talk really picked up once he had a less than stellar NCAA tournament this past year when UNC really needed him to come-up big.

On what you said about the lineup (started two legit back to the basket bigs and a non-shooting threat at PG), UNC also started a SG in Dexter Strickland who couldn't shoot to save his life. Only when they brought Reggie Bullock into the game did they have a lethal three point threat on the floor alongside Barnes. The spacing ont he floor was just awful and, like you said, Barnes was relegated (a lot of times) to being UNC's floor stretching shooter. There just wasn't much room for him to consistently dominate his man off the bounce and get into the lane. When he did, though, you saw flashes of his sneaky good athleticism. I always raved about his body control in traffic and in the air. He absorbs and finishes through contact very well. Don't get me wrong, he obviously had ball-handling issues, and looked like a 4th grader at times trying to penetrate, but he was also better in that aspect of the game than I think a lot of people realize.

Now he's playing on an NBA team with good shooters, and the floor is wide-open. There's still ignorant people out there that believe Barnes still can't create his own shot and beat his man off the bounce. While he's not consistently great at it, yet, anyone that's watched his last 10 games or so has seen that he's more than capable of getting into the lane and scoring off dribble penetration. I'm impressed at how much his ball-handling has improved, but I don't think it was ever quite as bad as some people assumed.

Right now I've noticed he goes long stretches of games where he doesn't touch the ball and seemingly disappears, but that seems to have a little bit to do with Curry and Thompson who average 30 shots per game between them, and the fact that Barnes spends a lot of his minutes on the floor with them.

Albeit brief, I do think we've already seen flashes of a player who, down the line, can be someone you can rely on to carry your offense for stretches by scoring in a variety of ways.
Said in a thread about which point guards would make OKC better if they replaced Westbrook:
Coxy wrote:I think with a PG like George Hill, they'd be better than current.
deepeeenn
Senior
And1: 522

Post#32 » by deepeeenn » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:37 am

Toronto_Blazers wrote:
sir G Wallace wrote:Drummond makes me drool. If we had Drummond instead of that noob Leonard. Wow.

I like Leonard but on draft day I really wanted Drummond, I wish Toronto did Portland a favour and traded down their pick so we could take drummond, it's not like T.Ross wasn't gonna be there at 11 :roll:

A lineup of :

Lillard
Matthews
Batum
Aldridge
Drummond

crazy.

That team looks like the Lite version of the 2004 Detroit Pistons sans the bench...
Drummond looks so nimble, he would be the the anchor a la Ben Wallace on the team. The Future would look great for the Blazers if they came away with Drummond and Lillard.

Also, Crazy dunk by Harrison Barnes... Impressive. Good cut and good read by Lee. Lee played it smart, Saw Barnes coming and dribbled once to get Love to focus on him then bounced passed.
Being a Blazer fan isn't exactly healthy.
JV4MVP
General Manager

Post#33 » by JV4MVP » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:19 pm

xprt wrote:Motiejunas had 31pts(13/23fg) 8 rebs 3assists in his first dleague season game. I feel bad for him he is clearly NBA level talent but McHale doesnt give chance to prove it.

He can be special if he gets stronger.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBAMU7IZfpg[/youtube]
EB2
Rookie
And1: 52

Post#34 » by EB2 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:57 pm

Dragic and Telffair are playing so well that Kendall Marshall can't even get off the bench unless its during scrub time. :(
menten
Sixth Man
And1: 1,013

Post#35 » by menten » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:29 pm

The Beas Knees wrote:Dragic and Telffair are playing so well that Kendall Marshall can't even get off the bench unless its during scrub time. :(

why did you guys even draft marshall with dragic already there?
cucad8
Head Coach
And1: 1,140

Post#36 » by cucad8 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:02 pm

menten wrote:
The Beas Knees wrote:Dragic and Telffair are playing so well that Kendall Marshall can't even get off the bench unless its during scrub time. :(

draft happened before free agency?
NaturalThunder
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#37 » by NaturalThunder » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:21 pm

menten wrote:

Yeah, they drafted Marshall before signing Dragic. Not real sure why they went ahead and signed Dragic after taking a PG in the lottery because I'm pretty sure Marshall was already going to start the season second on the depth chart behind Telfair. Now they've got a rookie lottery pick who's played a grand total of 15 minutes, and seven of those were in 30 point blowout loss to Miami.
Said in a thread about which point guards would make OKC better if they replaced Westbrook:
Coxy wrote:I think with a PG like George Hill, they'd be better than current.
JungleCat022
Junior
And1: 64

Post#38 » by JungleCat022 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:52 pm

Waiters with 16 points, 5-14, 2 assists
JV4MVP
General Manager

Post#39 » by JV4MVP » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:05 pm

JungleCat022 wrote:Waiters with 16 points, 5-14, 2 assists

That's mediocre. ~33% shooting and 2 assists... granted it was against the Heat and the Cavs played great, but that production in 38 minutes isn't meaningful.
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,798

Post#40 » by The Sebastian Express » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:16 pm

oaklandwarriors wrote:I think Barnes is leading all rookies with double doubles. Not 100% sure on that though.

Harnes and Valanciunas are tied with three, followed by Davis with two, then a bunch of rookies with one.

Return to The General Board