Race to the MVP pt. II

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

kamelion4291
Banned User
And1: 58

Re: Race to the MVP pt. II 

Post#461 » by kamelion4291 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:51 pm

I hardly see how the refs not blowing the whistle for LeBron is his fault. The percentage is, but not the total.
The_Dream
Junior
And1: 19

Post#462 » by The_Dream » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:56 pm

28reloaded wrote:
The_Dream wrote:
How about we look at what voters actually care about? Pts/Rebounds/Assists, FG%, then defensive statistics. I never hear any of the big markets (who ultimately decide who wins) say that Durant should get MVP because his TS% if higher than LBJ's.

The downplaying of the margin between LeBron's playmaking ability and Durant's playmaking ability has become such a joke lately :lol:

Fact of the matter is, LeBron assumes more roles for his teams than what Durant does for his. LBJ is shooting 54% to Durant's 51%. Durant is a better scorer, rebounding is a wash. The biggest difference is LBJ's playmaking ability to Durant's. The difference is ridiculous.

And the ignoring of Durant's superior off the ball play opening up 1 on 1 matchups for his teammates as he constantly requires a man on him 25 feet from the basket is an even bigger joke.

Durant's at 28 ppg on 52/44/90
LeBron's at 25 ppg on 54/42/68

LeBron's bad free throw shooting is downplayed as well along with his inability to get to the line at this point.

And Durant has been a much better half court player this year as well.

LeBron's shooting 52.8 eFG% in the half court, Durant's at 54.8 eFG%.

When you factor in Durant's much higher draw foul rate/free throw shooting, there's no comparison in the half court. It's a joke how much better Durant is.

More like refs blowing the whistle a little too much in Durant's favor :lol:

Again, lets look at statistics voters actually give a **** about. The 4 main statistics: Pts/Rebounds/Asts/FG%.

And again, since you seem to keep ignoring this point, hit me up when Durant works as many roles as LeBron does for his team.

Your point about a man having to stick to Durant 25 feet out is pretty much the same. I don't see anybody sagging off LeBron.
The_Dream
Junior

Post#463 » by The_Dream » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:04 pm

Also, your numbers are false. LeBron's eFG% is 57%, whereas Durant's is at 56% (not that voters give a **** about these numbers).

KEEP IGNORING THE STATS THAT WORK IN LEBRON'S FAVOR, PLEASE. SINCE YOU MISSED IT THE LAST TIME I THOUGHT I'D PUT IT IN CAPS FOR YOU.

LBJ: TRB%: 13.9 / AST% 32.9 / TOV% 11 /
Durant: TRB% 12.7 / AST% 19.4 / TOV% 13.7 /
28reloaded
Banned User
And1: 10

Post#464 » by 28reloaded » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:14 pm

Personal insults are not tolerated. Check your PMs upon your return from suspension.
The_Dream
Junior

Post#465 » by The_Dream » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:33 pm

28reloaded wrote:
The_Dream wrote:Also, your numbers are false. LeBron's eFG% is 57%, whereas Durant's is at 56% (not that voters give a **** about these numbers).

KEEP IGNORING THE STATS THAT WORK IN LEBRON'S FAVOR, PLEASE. SINCE YOU MISSED IT THE LAST TIME I THOUGHT I'D PUT IT IN CAPS FOR YOU.

LBJ: TRB%: 13.9 / AST% 32.9 / TOV% 11 /
Durant: TRB% 12.7 / AST% 19.4 / TOV% 13.7 /

Your stupidity knows no bounds. I said half court. And LOL @ throwing out points scored at this point, neglecting advanced metrics which truly display a players ability to score.

Hurr Durr, only look at FG% because LeBron has a slight advantage. Free throws and 3 pointers don't matter, hurr durr.

I never said they didn't matter, I said that the voters/media don't care for those advanced statistics.

Why talk about half-court specifically then? Why not just look over their eFG% as a whole?

Also, you fail to address my point where LeBron plays far more roles for his team than Durant does.
Pimpwerx
Banned User
And1: 78

Post#466 » by Pimpwerx » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:25 am

I suppose Bron's viability as an MVP candidate hinges heavily on the Heat's W-L record. However, how telling is it that people are talking about him not putting in 100% effort right now, yet he's at the top of the league in PER? When he inevitably turns up the wick, will that further legitimize his MVPness? PEACE.
BayAreaBully
Sophomore
And1: 2

Post#467 » by BayAreaBully » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:10 am

kamelion4291 wrote:I hardly see how the refs not blowing the whistle for LeBron is his fault. The percentage is, but not the total.

Its crazy how much body contact they allow against LeBron this year. They allow players to be super physical just because hes built like a tank and doesnt get thrown around like a rag doll. With that said, LeBron has always gotten his calls, this is the first year i've noticed him get the short end of the stick.
Joao Saraiva
RealGM
And1: 5,838

Post#468 » by Joao Saraiva » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:24 am

OKC has, so far, the best record.

Durant is the best scorer.
They're all rebounding well, with LeBron leading that stat.
LeBron leads the APG easily.

In terms of defense LeBron is just a candidate for DPOY... he did last year and he'll do it again. They way to beat him on a run is by team record, nothing else. For Melo he has to have a much better record than LeBron and Drant. Come on, Melo is doing great but it's not his fault the other two have surreal stat lines.
“These guys have been criticized the last few years for not getting to where we’re going, but I’ve always said that the most important thing in sports is to keep trying. Let this be an example of what it means to say it’s never over.” - Jerry Sloan
ShowTimeERA
Assistant Coach
And1: 208

Post#469 » by ShowTimeERA » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:42 am

Joao Saraiva wrote:OKC has, so far, the best record.

In terms of defense LeBron is just a candidate for DPOY... he did last year and he'll do it again. They way to beat him on a run is by team record, nothing else. For Melo he has to have a much better record than LeBron and Drant. Come on, Melo is doing great but it's not his fault the other two have surreal stat lines.

Lebron has been great offensively this season but his defense has been subpar while Durant has greatly improved in that aspect. What your doing is going by last seasons narrative about being a DPOY candidate. This year, not even close.
BayAreaBully
Sophomore
And1: 2

Post#470 » by BayAreaBully » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:09 am

ShowTimeERA wrote:
Joao Saraiva wrote:OKC has, so far, the best record.

Lebron has been great offensively this season but his defense has been subpar while Durant has greatly improved in that aspect. What your doing is going by last seasons narrative about being a DPOY candidate. This year, not even close.

The thing is LeBron anchors the Heat's defense. He has to make up for the small ball defense. It seems to me like he's playing the same defense as last year but im not really into advanced defensive stats. Their is just too much that isnt accounted for. As someone said earlier, Boozer was high up on an advanced defensive metric and he is the absolute farthest thing from a good defender. Who do you take defensively based on the eye test Lebron, Melo, or Durant?
bbms
Analyst
And1: 531

Post#471 » by bbms » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:55 am

"Voters don't care about this"

This argument should be banned because it is not an argument, it's a discussion closer. If we are going to argue who should be MVP based on what voters study and analyse, and diss everything else, than this thread should be locked and we all wait until the voting. Everyone should have the right to bring whatever stat and information to make his argument stronger, and should be able to defend and contest the others with concrete justifications.

To me it's quite clear that Durant is the MVP of the season. Offensively, LeBron and Durant are above their teams' Offensive Rating. Melo isn't. Thunder's defensive rating is better with Durant on. Knicks and Heat's defensive rationg are worse with LBJ and Melo on. Thunder perform differential with Durant on vs Durant off is much greater than Heat's or Knicks' without their MVP, based on the sample size we got. Durant between these three, is the guy who's making the most difference and impact between a win and a loss.

Thunder has the best record in the league until now, and after they recovered from a slow start, Thunder is dominating the NBA. 10 w run counting now.

Individually, Durant has scoring 27.5 points per game on much better shooting efficiency than Melo. Durant's scoring come from much more efficient shots than Melo's. Durant goes more to the line, finish better at the rim and shoot less long 2s and 3s. This translate into a brutal TS% difference. If your scoring consist of more high efficiency shots, then you're more efficient and this is why Durant need just 17 FGAs and 3.6 3ptFGs to score the same amount Melo does a game.

The turnover diferential is pro Melo and LeBron, but in Melo's case, is not enough to compensate the shooting efficiency differential. Specially if you account assist/to stats. Durant is a more efficient individual at every single aspect of the game, having more volume in most areas of the sport. Simply not true that Melo is on the same page as Durant on the offensive end.

Defensively, Durant has been the best of the three. LeBron seems not too interested in spending much energy. Melo's improved, but not better than average to good at defense. Durant is playing very good defense.

There's no way to convince me there's a player having a better season than Durant. He has team record at his favor, his team's behavior on/off him is also helps Durant's argument, and his individual productivity/efficiency is also positive, there's no guy on earth with a better argument than Durant. Imo, Melo's case is just based on popularity. Not that he's been bad. He's been great, just doesn't win any type of comparison over Durant in any aspect.
28reloaded
Banned User
And1: 10

Post#472 » by 28reloaded » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:57 am

Durant's numbers are the last month are absolutely laughable

29.9/7.4/4.4/1.7/1.4 2.9 to/g 68.3 TS% 53.3 FG% 47.5 3P% 90.3 FT% 31.3 PER .322 WSp48 15-3 record
Sinant
Head Coach
And1: 140

Post#473 » by Sinant » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:09 am

Hero wrote:Half of these people are just LeBron haters :lol:

Because if anything you've proven how incredibly unbiased you are regarding Durant?

It's silly to claim moral superiority over clearly biased people when you're one yourself.

This thread shouldn't be devolving to that anyways. If all you have to say is "You're a hater", you do the thread a disservice by voicing that.
King_John
Starter
And1: 283

Post#474 » by King_John » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:27 am

This thread is stupid anyways. All the fanboys from every team come up with arguments and strange statistics to back up their guy. Let s just wait until the end of the season and then talk again. Seriously this thread leads to nothing.
KDgoat
Senior

Post#475 » by KDgoat » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:43 pm

King_John wrote:This thread is stupid anyways. All the fanboys from every team come up with arguments and strange statistics to back up their guy. Let s just wait until the end of the season and then talk again. Seriously this thread leads to nothing.

It leads to people discussing a topic.

Hey, welcome to Online Communities 101!
Hero
RealGM
And1: 53,364

Post#476 » by Hero » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:57 pm

Pimpwerx wrote:I suppose Bron's viability as an MVP candidate hinges heavily on the Heat's W-L record. However, how telling is it that people are talking about him not putting in 100% effort right now, yet he's at the top of the league in PER? When he inevitably turns up the wick, will that further legitimize his MVPness? PEACE.

He is putting in effort, just it's not to the level of his crazy playoff run. It makes sense that he would try to cruise a bit in the regular season since for the Heat to do anything he has to beast in the playoffs. Many times so far this year in close games he always always passes to teammates for open shots but in the playoffs imo he forces the issue a bit more. We'll see how he does for Chicago since he usually really gets up for them and Boston.

Sinant wrote:
Hero wrote:Half of these people are just LeBron haters :lol:

Because if anything you've proven how incredibly unbiased you are regarding Durant?

It's silly to claim moral superiority over clearly biased people when you're one yourself.

This thread shouldn't be devolving to that anyways. If all you have to say is "You're a hater", you do the thread a disservice by voicing that.

Am I not just countering the arguments made by the obsessed KD supporters though? Nothing wrong with balancing it out a bit.

Right now I have it as

1) Melo
2) KD
3) LeBron

I expect Durant to get it since the Knicks won't keep up their record but the Thunder can with Westbrook and Ibaka playing so well.
prs
Sixth Man
And1: 75

Post#477 » by prs » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:26 pm

Lebron anchors the 19th best defense in the league DPOY!!!!!!!!

If anything can we please stop overrating his defense good god. Hes a good defender but hes not always putting in the effort, and when he is putting in the effort hes not some huge impact defender like Howard(and he can't guard all 5 positions).

I think its a two way race atm with Melo and KD. The heat are under performing a bit for world champs so I'd put Lebron just below those 2 with Duncan and CP3.

Nopt sure who I'd put on top. KD is playing better than Melo but Melo has a huge story edge atm.
kamelion4291
Banned User
And1: 58

Post#478 » by kamelion4291 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:58 pm

prs wrote:Lebron anchors the 19th best defense in the league DPOY!!!!!!!!

If anything can we please stop overrating his defense good god. Hes a good defender but hes not always putting in the effort, and when he is putting in the effort hes not some huge impact defender like Howard(and he can't guard all 5 positions).

I think its a two way race atm with Melo and KD. The heat are under performing a bit for world champs so I'd put Lebron just below those 2 with Duncan and CP3.

Nopt sure who I'd put on top. KD is playing better than Melo but Melo has a huge story edge atm.

You don't see the hypocrisy of mentioning that LeBron anchors the 19th best defense (17th, actually) while saying he isn't Howard, who coincidentally is anchoring the 14th best defense? The difference between the teams is literally 0.3 points per 100 possessions.
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager
And1: 1,663

Post#479 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:47 pm

kamelion4291 wrote:

You don't see the hypocrisy of mentioning that LeBron anchors the 19th best defense (17th, actually) while saying he isn't Howard, who coincidentally is anchoring the 14th best defense? The difference between the teams is literally 0.3 points per 100 possessions.

We all know Dwight Howard is the best defender in the NBA and trying to adjust to a new situation. Even considering his circumstances his defense still ranks higher than Lebrons. Lebrons defense is very overrated.
LBJ-ITALY
Pro Prospect
And1: 164

Post#480 » by LBJ-ITALY » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:16 pm

TheKingOfVa360 wrote:
kamelion4291 wrote:

We all know Dwight Howard is the best defender in the NBA and trying to adjust to a new situation. Even considering his circumstances his defense still ranks higher than Lebrons. Lebrons defense is very overrated.

You will never say a positive thing about LBJ :lol:

Return to The General Board