Race to the MVP pt. II

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,433

Re: Race to the MVP pt. II 

Post#1481 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Jan 6, 2013 3:10 am

I might as well go on record here. My vote right now would be:

1. Durant
2. Paul
3. LeBron
4. Melo
5. Kobe

To me the top 3 are the ones really in discussion. The reality is that while I agree that LeBron's the best player in the land until further notice, his team isn't really playing that way right now. Sure you can argue it's because others are letting him down, but that only makes sense if you really think the Heat are really max'ed out right now trying to kill it in the regular season. Does anyone actually believe that? I'm much more likely to believe their coasting a little right now, and when you do that, sometimes you don't get regular season awards.

I could easily put Kobe 4th. As is I feel like I"m basically pushing him to the last spot (because a Laker can't win the way they're playing) but then insisting on putting him in as a consolation prize.

Tim Duncan's another guy I could put in there but if I'm honest at this point, I expect the Spurs to keep kicking as no matter what injuries might come down the pike.

Harden would be the other fella I'd be inclined to try to find a spot for. I won't be shocked if I end up dropping Melo at a certain point in favor of Harden.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
FluLikeSymptoms
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,575

Post#1482 » by FluLikeSymptoms » Sun Jan 6, 2013 4:03 am

datstockton wrote:If we're being objective here people here need to realize that maybe 5 MVP voters will actually look at TS%. The only advanced stat a good amount of voters will consider is PER, which lebron will have the highest by a good margin.

Voters look at raw stats, where LeBron is more impressive. Just something to always keep in mind.

Tragic, but you're probably right.
Pimpwerx
Banned User
And1: 78

Post#1483 » by Pimpwerx » Sun Jan 6, 2013 4:35 am

Doctor MJ wrote:If we're being realistic here, voters are going to be looking for a reason not to pick LeBron. They like spreading out the love. If Durant/Paul/Melo stay healthy and end up on a team with a better record, I don't think LeBron even has much of a shot.

On the other hand, if Miami ends up with the best record with a healthy LeBron, it's hard to imagine how anyone could justify NOT voting for LeBron.

Thems the quirks of the voting. In the end, LeBron's not going to be judged much on any subsequent MVPs anyway. It's all about the rings for him.

Same thing was said last season about how voters will find a way to not vote for Bron. They voted for it anyway. Fans may wish that voters were that biased, but that's not really true. Bron hasn't won enough MVPs for anyone to claim voter fatigue yet. Not when he continues to get better. Has there been fatigue over praising him? No. The media is still very much in love with Lebron. There's no reason to think voters are any different. Lebron's leading this race, and everyone knows this. There's still lots of time left in this season, but if anyone has a leg up right now, it's the guy with the best numbers. PEACE.
jayjamesson
Junior
And1: 4

Post#1484 » by jayjamesson » Sun Jan 6, 2013 6:15 am

Only way Durant wins is if he gets the momentum from the All star Game and wins against the Heat @home, and finishes 1st in the west of course. Only that will give him that Derrick Rose hype to win against Lebron.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,433

Post#1485 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Jan 6, 2013 7:30 am

Pimpwerx wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:If we're being realistic here, voters are going to be looking for a reason not to pick LeBron. They like spreading out the love. If Durant/Paul/Melo stay healthy and end up on a team with a better record, I don't think LeBron even has much of a shot.

On the other hand, if Miami ends up with the best record with a healthy LeBron, it's hard to imagine how anyone could justify NOT voting for LeBron.

Thems the quirks of the voting. In the end, LeBron's not going to be judged much on any subsequent MVPs anyway. It's all about the rings for him.

Same thing was said last season about how voters will find a way to not vote for Bron. They voted for it anyway. Fans may wish that voters were that biased, but that's not really true. Bron hasn't won enough MVPs for anyone to claim voter fatigue yet. Not when he continues to get better. Has there been fatigue over praising him? No. The media is still very much in love with Lebron. There's no reason to think voters are any different. Lebron's leading this race, and everyone knows this. There's still lots of time left in this season, but if anyone has a leg up right now, it's the guy with the best numbers. PEACE.

I think you're forgetting that there was a season in between those 3 MVPs where they gave the award to weakest winner since Iverson. Fatigue is an issue with LeBron just as it was with Jordan.

Look I'm not saying that they'll absolutely refuse to vote for LeBron, but if another player has a really strong argument, they are going to look kindly on it.

And let's also be clear, LeBron has no monopoly on being the "real" MVP no matter how good he is when he's on his game. The balance of talents in Miami has never made for a great fit, and the Heat are very clearly not playing that well right now.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,780

Post#1486 » by jc23 » Sun Jan 6, 2013 7:32 am

Pimpwerx wrote:

You think the media was not in love with MJ? because if it was about the best numbers and best player he would have at least 6 or 7 MVP's.

Let me put it this way, if Rudy Gay had the exact stat line as lebron he would win the MVP this year (which i would assume would get them a top record).

And the reason he would beat out lebron with the exact same stat line is nobody expected that from Rudy Gay.

I personally feel players are given bars at which the media expects them to reach. So for a guy like lebron to win a b2b MVP something must be accomplished that exceeds that bar. I dont think he has dont that this year.

You know what would get my MVP vote for lebron? if he changed the culture of that team this year. And being the leader and best player he held guys accountable every night to play hard and dominate. Its obvious that is not the case looking at the way the heat play.

Now you can blame that on Spolestra but that would be wrong.
Be curious, Not judgmental
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#1487 » by Greenie » Sun Jan 6, 2013 11:26 am

The hate for Melo is thick. He has flat out carried the Knicks this year.

Return to The General Board