Can Lakers make to the Playoffs this year?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Can Lakers make to the playoffs in wild wild west?

Yes, Kobe + Dwight + Gasol + Nash are you kidding me?
24%
No, this team struggles so hard, it's hard for them to make to the playoffs this season
47%
Not sure, I have to wait and see, Steve isn't in the lineup yet.
14%
Don't care
15%

Total votes: 325

Leto
RealGM
And1: 468

Re: Can Lakers make to the Playoffs this year? 

Post#321 » by Leto » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:54 pm

^ Yes. Thats the Lakers problem. Its been that way for the past couple years--especially at PG. Before this season, everyone in basketball would have said that the Lakers need to shore up their defense at PG and increase overall team speed by adding an Ariza type player. So, the FO goes out and signs a 38 year old Nash to a huge contract because, you know, they needed a ball dominate offensive player who plays no defense...lol.
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Post#322 » by Slartibartfast » Wed Jan 9, 2013 7:29 pm

I'd be very happy if things continue to fall apart, but it's still way too early to render judgment. If the Lakers can keep within range of .500, one of Golden St./Houston/Portland/Denver is going to suffer some kind of setback or cold streak.

They just have to squeak out a few surprise wins when they are banged up to keep the gap reasonable.

There's also the possibility that they pull off a favorable Pau trade and run off a big win streak in the 2nd half of the season.

The bigger question to me is whether they can be considered contenders, which hinges on what version of Dwight Howard we can expect going forward.
Jaykoolzboy
Assistant Coach
And1: 95

Post#323 » by Jaykoolzboy » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:31 am

15 19 now, play a pretty game against the Spurs, now lets see what they can do againest the OKC
702Celtics
Rookie
And1: 20

Post#324 » by 702Celtics » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:33 am

Jaykoolzboy wrote:15 19 now, play a pretty game against the Spurs, now lets see what they can do againest the OKC

15-20.

Unless they make a big trade, LA isn't going anywhere.
Jahensle
Veteran
And1: 363

Post#325 » by Jahensle » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:35 am

I feel bad for Nash to be honest.
osamu
Starter
And1: 249

Post#326 » by osamu » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:51 am

Don't feel bad for Nash, he chose LA over Nyk, Toronto
Pimpwerx
Banned User
And1: 78

Post#327 » by Pimpwerx » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:58 am

osamu wrote:Don't feel bad for Nash, he chose LA over Nyk, Toronto

And Miami. I believe we tried to get him too. Some mofos just like to skate uphill. PEACE.
Wilford Brimley
Banned User
And1: 81

Post#328 » by Wilford Brimley » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:21 am

lol @ this even being a question anymore.
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,722

Post#329 » by Ayt » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:22 am

Slartibartfast wrote:I'd be very happy if things continue to fall apart, but it's still way too early to render judgment. If the Lakers can keep within range of .500, one of Golden St./Houston/Portland/Denver is going to suffer some kind of setback or cold streak.

They just have to squeak out a few surprise wins when they are banged up to keep the gap reasonable.

There's also the possibility that they pull off a favorable Pau trade and run off a big win streak in the 2nd half of the season.

The bigger question to me is whether they can be considered contenders, which hinges on what version of Dwight Howard we can expect going forward.

The 8th seed in the West is likely going to have 45+ wins. To get there after tonight they need to go 30-17 the rest of the season. Given they are playing OKC on Friday, it is more like 30-16.

With all their problems and the massive hole they have dug, they are very likely not going to make the playoffs.
Wilford Brimley
Banned User

Post#330 » by Wilford Brimley » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:15 am

They have to go 30-17 the rest of the way to get 45 wins.

Here are SOME of their remaining games:

OKC
@Miami
@Memphis
OKC
@Brooklyn
@Boston
@Mia
LAC
BOS
POR
@Dal
@Den
@Okc
@Atl
@Gs
DAL
MEM
@Lac
@Por
GS
SA
HOU
bullsnewdynasty
RealGM
And1: 2,544

Post#331 » by bullsnewdynasty » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:28 am

TwentyOne920 wrote:What I don't get is how they're 22th in defense despite a 3 time DPOY in the middle. Even the SSOL Suns with Amar'e in the middle weren't this BAD.

Two words: MIKE D'ANTONI

The Suns were at least an athletic team. The Lakers are old and slow.
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,307

Post#332 » by DirtyDez » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:29 am

Wilford Brimley wrote:lol @ this even being a question anymore.

They have a very favorable schedule starting next week. If Dwight & Pau are back they can go on a long run and sneak in but I don't think it will happen. Kobe is playing nearly 40ppg I think he'll be worn down in March/April and Dwight will never get to 100%. Pau has checked out and as good Nash is playing right now he'll be 39 next month.
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
Wilford Brimley
Banned User

Post#333 » by Wilford Brimley » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:34 am

DirtyDez wrote:
Wilford Brimley wrote:lol @ this even being a question anymore.

They have a very favorable schedule starting next week. If Dwight & Pau are back they can go on a long run and sneak in but I don't think it will happen. Kobe is playing nearly 40ppg I think he'll be worn down in March/April and Dwight will never get to 100%. Pau has checked out and as good Nash is playing right now he'll be 39 next month.

I disagree. They will be lucky to go .500 this month IMO.

JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,839

Post#334 » by JF5 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:41 am

They seriously might not.... I can't believe I'm saying that.

The only team I can see falling out is Houston, because they're a team I can't see keeping it up. Nuggets/Blazers are too good not to make it....

Plus the issues with them being not healthy and them not really having any Chemistry. Its possible the team can fall to obscurity this season and pretty much falling apart at the end of the year.
Mk0
RealGM
And1: 14,828

Post#335 » by Mk0 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:15 am

The Lakers have a target on their back. Everyone knows the hype they had and it has been ridiculously obvious on how to beat them. Looking at their health issues and lack of any form of defensive identity and teams are licking their chops.

Looking at that list above it wouldn't be outrageous to pencil in a Bucks win over the Lakers. The back court speed difference is insane.

Living in LA this season has been hilarious. Clippers fans are on cloud nine.
NBA officiating bought to you by FanDuel
Apathy
Banned User
And1: 39

Post#336 » by Apathy » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:03 pm

Pimpwerx wrote:

And Miami. I believe we tried to get him too. Some mofos just like to skate uphill. PEACE.

To be fair, he wanted to be closer to his daughter, I believe.
WhateverBro
Head Coach
And1: 1,578

Post#337 » by WhateverBro » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:22 pm

USA wrote:
TwentyOne920 wrote:What I don't get is how they're 22th in defense despite a 3 time DPOY in the middle. Even the SSOL Suns with Amar'e in the middle weren't this BAD.

Anyone watching can see that Dwight isn't the Dwight of years past after back surgery and no one else on the team plays defense, not Kobe, not Pau, not Metta, no one.

Yeah, it's pretty clear that he ain't 100 % BUT remember this is supposed to be one of the greatest defensive players of all-time we're talking about. Even KG on one leg managed to keep Celtics 5th in the league defensively in 09-10.

Even if not 100 % he should be doing a better job in protecting the paint IMO.
pootpoot
Sophomore
And1: 41

Post#338 » by pootpoot » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:34 pm

Pimpwerx wrote:

That's a pretty giant leap to say because he chose the Lakers he likes to skate uphill :lol:
Rust In Peace
Junior
And1: 65

Post#339 » by Rust In Peace » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:58 pm

Apathy wrote:
Pimpwerx wrote:

To be fair, he wanted to be closer to his daughter, I believe.

lol, no. Nash is just another fake nice guy. He was blatantly ring chasing but using his children as an excuse to hide the fact so it doesn't ruin his "competitor image".

When L.A. Lakers star Steve Nash joined the team, he said one of the benefits was that he could be closer to his kids ... which is why his legal fight to keep his children out of California is bizarre.

Sources connected with the couple say Nash's ex-wife Alejandra wants to move the former couple's three children from AZ to L.A. We're told Nash has objected and is waging a legal war to prevent it from happening. As for why Nash doesn't want his kids moving closer to him, we called his rep but haven't heard back.
Apathy
Banned User
And1: 39

Post#340 » by Apathy » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:29 pm

Yeah, I didn't trust that reason either. I wanted to believe it, because Nash is one of the few players I'm irrational about, but I was definitely seeking the other side to the story. I'll edit my perception accordingly.

Return to The General Board