Can Lakers make to the Playoffs this year?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Can Lakers make to the playoffs in wild wild west?

Yes, Kobe + Dwight + Gasol + Nash are you kidding me?
24%
No, this team struggles so hard, it's hard for them to make to the playoffs this season
47%
Not sure, I have to wait and see, Steve isn't in the lineup yet.
14%
Don't care
15%

Total votes: 325

realball
Head Coach
And1: 3,183

Re: Can Lakers make to the Playoffs this year? 

Post#341 » by realball » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:44 pm

Rust In Peace wrote:lol, no. Nash is just another fake nice guy. He was blatantly ring chasing but using his children as an excuse to hide the fact so it doesn't ruin his "competitor image".

When L.A. Lakers star Steve Nash joined the team, he said one of the benefits was that he could be closer to his kids ... which is why his legal fight to keep his children out of California is bizarre.

Sources connected with the couple say Nash's ex-wife Alejandra wants to move the former couple's three children from AZ to L.A. We're told Nash has objected and is waging a legal war to prevent it from happening. As for why Nash doesn't want his kids moving closer to him, we called his rep but haven't heard back.

If he was a ring chaser, why wouldn't he just sign with Miami, instead of team that got destroyed in the second round? He was chasing a ring, but he wanted to be close to his kids, so he made a compromise.
USA
Banned User
And1: 455

Post#342 » by USA » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:48 pm

Nash didn't want his kids to move to California because his ex could of sued him for significantly more child support due to California's f'ed up laws.
Rust In Peace
Junior
And1: 65

Post#343 » by Rust In Peace » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:03 pm

USA wrote:Nash didn't want his kids to move to California because his ex could of sued him for significantly more child support due to California's f'ed up laws.

So on top of being a ring chaser, he's a bad father. Why should he be exempt from paying child support when every other single father does the same? He's made more than a 100 million in his career so I'm not shedding any tears for him.
Rust In Peace
Junior

Post#344 » by Rust In Peace » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:05 pm

realball wrote:If he was a ring chaser, why wouldn't he just sign with Miami, instead of team that got destroyed in the second round? He was chasing a ring, but he wanted to be close to his kids, so he made a compromise.

By that logic, Malone wasn't ring chasing in '04 either since he joined LA that year instead of the Spurs.
GrantHill
Veteran
And1: 74

Post#345 » by GrantHill » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:08 pm

Rust In Peace wrote:lol, no. Nash is just another fake nice guy. He was blatantly ring chasing but using his children as an excuse to hide the fact so it doesn't ruin his "competitor image".

Ding, ding, ding. We finally have a winner! Finally someone who understands that Nashs move was simply another ring chasing move. I don't feel sorry for him in any kind of way.
Hill on Nash going to the Lakers: “That’s like transferring from Duke and going to Carolina.”
MaliBrah
RealGM
And1: 4,310

Post#346 » by MaliBrah » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:13 pm

realball wrote:

When L.A. Lakers star Steve Nash joined the team, he said one of the benefits was that he could be closer to his kids ... which is why his legal fight to keep his children out of California is bizarre.

Sources connected with the couple say Nash's ex-wife Alejandra wants to move the former couple's three children from AZ to L.A. We're told Nash has objected and is waging a legal war to prevent it from happening. As for why Nash doesn't want his kids moving closer to him, we called his rep but haven't heard back.

If he was a ring chaser, why wouldn't he just sign with Miami, instead of team that got destroyed in the second round? He was chasing a ring, but he wanted to be close to his kids, so he made a compromise.

he isn't a smart ringchaser..ding ding ding ding dding
Ming Kong!
RealGM
And1: 31

Post#347 » by Ming Kong! » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:17 pm

I really thought the Lakers would be favorites in the West and until the Heat signed Ray Allen, I thought they were even at an advantage over the Heat. The came the signing of D'Antoni, even then I expected things to turn around some, and be atleast a 50 win team, 2nd round+ team. It's amazing how mediocre they still are. They have even had a pretty easy schedule compared to the Nuggets and Jazz who have had probably the most difficult schedules since they have been very road heavy. It's going to be a long road uphill for the Lakers, especially since the Jazz will probably make a nice push after the All-Star break and same goes for Denver. These are teams competing for 2 of the lower seeds. I mean the Lakers need a LOT to go right for them from here on out, while other teams ahead of them have to really struggle. With the injuries and with D'Antoni, do you see them making a complete 180 suddenly? Even at best, a 7 or 8th seed, the season is a trainwreck.
Apathy
Banned User
And1: 39

Post#348 » by Apathy » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:35 pm

To be fair, the Lakers have played with a lot more spirit these past two games. I was shocked they hung tough v SA for so long despite Kobe being god awful.

Seriously, Kobe is playing some atrocious hero ball these last two games. Absolutely inexcusable.
Deimos
Bench Warmer
And1: 68

Post#349 » by Deimos » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:54 pm

NO LOL!
Shot Clock
RealGM
And1: 17,443

Post#350 » by Shot Clock » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:59 pm

Even though I'm no fan of Mike Brown or D'Antoni they have both had regular season success with different styles. It's hard to comprehend how they both are struggling to make things work with that much talent around.

I mean the age excuse is just that, an excuse. There have been lots of older teams playing good defense. San Antonio has fielded some very nonathletic teams in the past and still clamped down. And these Lakers aren't nearly as pedestrian as people like to make out. But when you have the leaders making these comments that suggest it's not an actual issue with the players but something they can't fix it's not going to change.

Offensively, most people thought that things could go two ways. Nash becomes the focal point and Kobe's shot attempts decline as they are shared with this new ensemble or he resists and maintains his scoring. People will argue the reasons for Kobe's FGA's staying high, but there's no way this team is successful without changing his approach.

This was one of the sucess factors NBC had on their pre-season report, it was the first one I found in google but not really different from what most were thinking at the time

1) Kobe thriving without the ball in his hands: Nash is one of the best point guards in the game, but to do what he does best, he’ll need the ball to open possessions. With Howard and Pau Gasol on the floor at the same time, there should be a number of successful offensive possessions where Bryant doesn’t even see the basketball. Obviously, this will be a major adjustment. Will Bryant choose to adapt to the new offense — one that, much like the Triangle, features motion and multiple options at every turn — or will he resist and revert to old habits of forcing isolation situations with the shot clock winding down, while his teammates stand around and watch? There’s a time for that, certainly, but with all of the weapons on this year’s roster, those situations should be the exception to the rule, rather than the rule itself.
anyone involved in that meddling to justice”. NO COLLUSION

- DJT
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,767

Post#351 » by jc23 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:03 pm

so lets say the lakers dont make the playoffs. Just how big of a fail is this 12/13 lakers season in the history of the NBA?

I mean people/media were calling these guys a super team and favorites to come out of the west.
Be curious, Not judgmental
UnderdogKnicks
Starter
And1: 40

Post#352 » by UnderdogKnicks » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:08 pm

jc23 wrote:so lets say the lakers dont make the playoffs. Just how big of a fail is this 12/13 lakers season in the history of the NBA?

I mean people/media were calling these guys a super team and favorites to come out of the west.

It's the biggest fail in NBA history. Like u said they were supposed to rival the Heat and many thought they'll beat them because of their front court before the season. NOBODY thought they would miss the playoffs, it seemed so unrealistic with a team of Kobe, Nash, prime Dwight, and Gasol.
Classics :

Knicks, Giants, Yankees, Rangers
EzeDoesIt
Junior
And1: 10

Post#353 » by EzeDoesIt » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:09 pm

The real question is, will there be any Laker fans left after this season?
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,957

Post#354 » by DusterBuster » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:11 pm

EzeDoesIt wrote:The real question is, will there be any Laker fans left after this season?

The majority (not all obviously) of Laker fans will do what they always do. Become Clipper fans if they're still contending for a title while the Lakers are down. If both teams are having down years, they just find something else to do in LA.

Once the Lakers are back to being contenders, then they'll flock back like usual. Fairest weathered fans in the league by far.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
Apathy
Banned User
And1: 39

Post#355 » by Apathy » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:11 pm

Honestly -- and I say this as a guy who views the Lakers as the Yankees; I love to root against 'em -- the Lakers have run bad with injuries.

They were never as good as everyone thought they were going to be, at least not in the regular season. Hollinger and other sabermetric sites (WoW, BP) had 'em projected for ~50-55 wins, no?

But that always came with a huge caveat: health. They were counting on five players staying healthy. If any of them slipped, watch out. That's why, despite 60-win talent, they averaged out to low 50s in wins.

But some simulations will be worse than others. No one pegged a decline in D12's production; hindsight tells us we should've. Nash, even though he's back, is simply not the same. Kobe has been great offensively but given up much of it defensively. And Pau, who was previously an ironman, has battled injuries from day one.

Things like "chemistry" and "leadership," while full of grains of truth, are not the whole story. They're just convenient scapegoats, parroted to us by media minions. Most fans consume too much media, so what they hear over and over becomes accepted as truth. Indoctrination. So that's what most people ITT and this forum point to: "D'Antoni never made a Finals, why hire him?" "Pau is soft." And so on.

The truth is a lot less sexier: lack of health, thanks in part to small sample size (we only get to "run" this "simulation" once; there are always going to be sizable error bars) and horrid depth.
Rockice_24
Starter
And1: 816

Post#356 » by Rockice_24 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:21 pm

Apathy wrote:To be fair, the Lakers have played with a lot more spirit these past two games. I was shocked they hung tough v SA for so long despite Kobe being god awful.

Seriously, Kobe is playing some atrocious hero ball these last two games. Absolutely inexcusable.

More spirit but still 5 straight losses. If they don't turn it around very soon no matter how good they play after the allstar break it might be too late.

If I had to put my money where my mouth is I'm betting it all against them making it. Never in a million years did I think that would happen prior to game 1 but more and more it's appears to be the reality.
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,767

Post#357 » by jc23 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:15 pm

EzeDoesIt wrote:The real question is, will there be any Laker fans left after this season?

im pretty sure the lakers fanbase is solid. Yes they have bandwagon fans like any franchise, but their history is too deep to see them disappear.

with that said they have been extremely spoiled ala Yankee fans and will not handle sucking for very long. heads will roll if this goes on for too long. and that GM everyone says is a genius will be gone.
Be curious, Not judgmental
GeneralNbaFan
Pro Prospect
And1: 34

Post#358 » by GeneralNbaFan » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:31 pm

Apathy wrote:To be fair, the Lakers have played with a lot more spirit these past two games. I was shocked they hung tough v SA for so long despite Kobe being god awful.

Seriously, Kobe is playing some atrocious hero ball these last two games. Absolutely inexcusable

Can someone please tell me how to ignore this guy? Do I need to click " add foe" ?
Not that this was the only reason, but it was just to much! Sorry!
Rust In Peace
Junior

Post#359 » by Rust In Peace » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:03 pm

Rockice_24 wrote:

More spirit but still 5 straight losses. If they don't turn it around very soon no matter how good they play after the allstar break it might be too late.

If I had to put my money where my mouth is I'm betting it all against them making it. Never in a million years did I think that would happen prior to game 1 but more and more it's appears to be the reality.

About to be six straight losses
GeneralNbaFan
Pro Prospect
And1: 34

Post#360 » by GeneralNbaFan » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:10 pm

GeneralNbaFan wrote:

Seriously, Kobe is playing some atrocious hero ball these last two games. Absolutely inexcusable

Can someone please tell me how to ignore this guy? Do I need to click " add foe" ?
Not that this was the only reason, but it was just to much! Sorry!

Yes click "add foe"....

thx GeneralNbaFan for your help.... :D

Return to The General Board