Can Lakers make to the Playoffs this year?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Can Lakers make to the playoffs in wild wild west?

Yes, Kobe + Dwight + Gasol + Nash are you kidding me?
24%
No, this team struggles so hard, it's hard for them to make to the playoffs this season
47%
Not sure, I have to wait and see, Steve isn't in the lineup yet.
14%
Don't care
15%

Total votes: 325

ClayDavis
Head Coach
And1: 104

Re: Can Lakers make to the Playoffs this year? 

Post#181 » by ClayDavis » Mon Jan 7, 2013 7:00 am

jerry west called this by the way...2 years ago

The Lakers legend told a group of automobile dealers in Irvine the reason the team can’t seem to hang onto leads because they are “getting long in the tooth.

If there’s a loose ball now, how often do they get it?”

the reason you ‘can’t play defense’ is because you can’t!”

You can keep a car running for a long time by changing the tires, etc. You can’t change a player’s tires

http://lakers.ocregister.com/2011/01/21 ... ell/47296/
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,394

Post#182 » by RIPskaterdude » Mon Jan 7, 2013 7:09 am

Excellent...excellent...
MistyMountain20
General Manager
And1: 7,166

Post#183 » by MistyMountain20 » Mon Jan 7, 2013 7:10 am

xx_skaterdude_xx wrote:Excellent...excellent...

Not gonna lie, that's pretty funny. :lol:
Tron Carter
RealGM
And1: 19,055

Post#184 » by Tron Carter » Mon Jan 7, 2013 7:29 am

That GOAT signature

R.I.P Black Mamba
Ronito
Lead Assistant
And1: 101

Post#185 » by Ronito » Mon Jan 7, 2013 7:44 am

Should link your signature to the thread/post.
jamesnamida
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,048

Post#186 » by jamesnamida » Mon Jan 7, 2013 7:47 am

they need to talk, nash kobe dwight pau, at dinner or something, cause they are not playing like vets, or as a team.
they need to know their roles, like the game with the clippers, nash decides to give the ball back to kobe with 5 seconds left and he was 30 ft away, because he was calling for it.

they have to figure it out. mesh.

if not

trade MWP and Gasol. open the floor with a good stretch 4 with pringles system, and get a 3 who can really knock down 3 pointers.

Or move kobe, which would never happen. But nash with shooters at the 2 and 3, + gasol+dwight would be a elite team as well. obviously kobes replacement wouldnt be close in talent, but he just needs to be a good defender and shooter of 3. take 12 shots a game, and let the offense run inside out with nash in control all the time.

but it would be best to see them all figure it out now. because with everyone it's a championship team.

if they do mesh and no trade happens, noo playoffs would be what id say. there's too many good teams in the west.
ricochet
Banned User
And1: 18

Post#187 » by ricochet » Mon Jan 7, 2013 7:52 am

:rofl:

that SIG!!!!!!!!!!!

:bowdown:
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,307

Post#188 » by DirtyDez » Mon Jan 7, 2013 7:53 am

Suns get their lotto pick should LA miss the playoffs. #GOATtrade
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
Grahf
Sixth Man
And1: 1,551

Post#189 » by Grahf » Mon Jan 7, 2013 9:57 am

I try to catch highlights of every Lakers game just so I can get a good laugh from watching Gasol standing around the 3 point line like a headless ghost, regardless of what else is actually going on. It is so bad at times that it doesn't even look like he's part of the game. It looks more like he's just some really tall fan who wandered onto the court for some reason, completely ignored by the nine guys actually playing basketball.
Magic_Johnny12 wrote:With all things considered I will probably have LeVert before Jaylen.
djay
Banned User
And1: 19

Post#190 » by djay » Mon Jan 7, 2013 10:15 am

The Lakers have too many guys who think the name on their jersey deserve minute rather than what they can producing. Too many star power with very little role player that know their role. Case in point, you got Metta World Peace still thinking he is Ron Artest... trying to do isolation play. :lol: The **** dumbass need to understand his role and stop trying to jack up shot when his feet isn't set. He needs to understand that if you don't get a good shot off on time, PASS THE **** BALL back to the superstar so they can run another play.

Pau Gasol mental stage is JACK! He needs to be traded a long time ago to provide the Lakers with necessary pieces to compete. This is a case where the Lakers win simply by subtracting the star player name off the roster. If I were the Lakers, I ship both Pau/Metta together for any kind of role players in return.

Obviously, the issue with Kobe isolation need to be resolves. Dwight has to increase his intensity and Steve needs to STOP playing scare when Kobe demands his ball. The Lakers FO is really a dumbasss by hiring MDA over Jackson, but their problem is fixable as long as they provide MDA with the right pieces. The current personnel is a mess. They have way too many incompatible pieces trying to fit into a team concept.

So yes, they will make the playoff and will be a true darkhorse. Like I said, it's all depend WHEN PAU is traded.
Laker at Heart
Junior
And1: 2

Post#191 » by Laker at Heart » Mon Jan 7, 2013 10:33 am

8th seed in the west is currently on pace for 45 wins, but I think the minimum to get into the playoffs will be more around 47-48 wins. Here are the records the Lakers need to achieve for the remainder of the season to get the necessary wins:

Final Wins: W-L record needed
45: 30-19
46: 31-18
47: 32-17
48: 33-16
49: 34-15
50: 35-14

Looking pretty bleak.
pross
Veteran
And1: 174

Post#192 » by pross » Mon Jan 7, 2013 10:47 am

Laker at Heart wrote:8th seed in the west is currently on pace for 45 wins, but I think the minimum to get into the playoffs will be more around 47-48 wins. Here are the records the Lakers need to achieve for the remainder of the season to get the necessary wins:

Final Wins: W-L record needed
45: 30-19
46: 31-18
47: 32-17
48: 33-16
49: 32-15
50: 33-14

Looking pretty bleak.

With the talent they have, it's certainly not impossible, but it's definitely starting to look improbable - especially with the schedule they have over the next month.

A quick look at the next month and you have.

Home
OKC twice
Miami
Jazz (who they seem to struggle against)

Away
@Houston
@Spurs - 2nd night of B2B
@Chicago - 2nd night of B2B
@Memphis

Heck with the way the Raptors have been playing, it wouldn't surprise me if they beat the Lakers at home.

The very winnable games are Cavs and Hornets at home and more than likely the Bucks who have been a pleasant surprise. They then finish with Suns on a B2B.

For them to even go .500 in this stretch would surprise me. By then, it's nearly game over depending on how the other teams do. A loss to Utah & Houston would put them even further behind.

EDIT.

Also just had a quick look. Their March looks decent aside from games against OKC/ATL/Indy, they could really put together a nice run HOWEVER (there is always a however), they only have 4 home games ALL MONTH!
Laker at Heart
Junior
And1: 2

Post#193 » by Laker at Heart » Mon Jan 7, 2013 11:00 am

Sorry I botched the last two examples for 49 and 50 wins, corrected now.
Ito
General Manager
And1: 775

Post#194 » by Ito » Mon Jan 7, 2013 11:40 am

its obvious that talking about it wont do a thing.. Lakers gotta make a move, somebody has to go because their top 4 are not playing winning basketball..

I would trade Howard, they would get the most for him out of anybody on the Lakers right now.. They could get an all star, and 2 decent players that can shoot and play d.. Play Small, surround Kobe and Gasol with shooters, and have Nash running the point.. their defense will probably still suck, but Mike will be happy with the offense and maybe they can win some games just by outscoring their opponents
Apathy
Banned User
And1: 39

Post#195 » by Apathy » Mon Jan 7, 2013 11:54 am

Nope.

I'm loving this. I normally don't side with teams/laundry (Spurs aside), but I love rooting against the Lakers.

Absolutely perfect. Headline off-season, wins the press conference, then can't make the playoffs? Left with an aging Gasol, Nash, Bryant, Howard jumping ship, no $ to sign anyone else, Clippers taking over. Turmoil in LaLa Land! Adande and Plaschke going crazy!
Apathy
Banned User
And1: 39

Post#196 » by Apathy » Mon Jan 7, 2013 11:57 am

Kobe called Dwight 'Tyson Chandler' before he even arrived!

Kobe's just dat dictator personality. Must be hell.
Grumpy Heat Fan
General Manager
And1: 8,302

Post#197 » by Grumpy Heat Fan » Mon Jan 7, 2013 12:17 pm

Ito wrote:its obvious that talking about it wont do a thing.. Lakers gotta make a move, somebody has to go because their top 4 are not playing winning basketball..

I would trade Howard, they would get the most for him out of anybody on the Lakers right now.. They could get an all star, and 2 decent players that can shoot and play d.. Play Small, surround Kobe and Gasol with shooters, and have Nash running the point.. their defense will probably still suck, but Mike will be happy with the offense and maybe they can win some games just by outscoring their opponents

Howard is a free agent in a few months. Nobody is going to trade for him.
"As for me personally, I don't truly care how much I make these days, my main focus is on playing for a winner." - Dirk Nowitzki, July 2016
SweetTouch
RealGM
And1: 2,956

Post#198 » by SweetTouch » Mon Jan 7, 2013 1:13 pm

Yes they just need to win a couple more games and quit losing so much
Stop being so disrespectful.
UnderdogKnicks
Starter
And1: 40

Post#199 » by UnderdogKnicks » Mon Jan 7, 2013 1:16 pm

7-8th seed, 1st round exit
Classics :

Knicks, Giants, Yankees, Rangers
va-mos
Banned User
And1: 16

Post#200 » by va-mos » Mon Jan 7, 2013 1:31 pm

XonezIOIzenoX wrote:Wow...It's something to take noticed that almost 4 months ago, the Lakers were looked to be the next and biggest contender for a nba championship. From a team that many were considereding a 60plus team win to somehow question whether or not they are playoff bound...That's NBA for you, sometimes you just don't know what could happen.

But a lot of us knew before the season began that the Lakers would not contend for the championship. Only the dumb guys like Artest were sure it would work (he said they could win 70 games....).

Return to The General Board