yardbarker

Kobe: Carmelo More Difficult To Defend Than LeBron

Moderators: Morten Jensen, Blame Rasho, UGA Hayes, Basti, KingCuban, Flash3, Yuri Vaultin, magnumt, tsherkin, NO-KG-AI, Doctor MJ

Post#166 Re: Kobe: Carmelo More Difficult To Defend Th
Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:08 pm by ShowTimeERA

King_John wrote:I think Kobe made this argument public on purpose. He knows LeBron is a beast and wants to diminish LeBron s value and boost Melo s Ego (whih isn t necessarily a good thing). But I love it. Now the media is going to hype Melo to no end and come playoff time LeBron is going to turn it on and show the world once again who is the best player (as he did with Durant last playoffs). Carmelo is having a sensational season so far no doubt. I just don t get it why people jump on everything to dismiss Lebron s offensive ability. The guy was regular season MVP, Finals MVP and won the Chip last year. Now Melo has a great start to the season and Kobe says he is more difficult to defend than Lebron and everyone goes like "Oh yeah ,ahem I always said Melo is the better than Lebron offensively and blablabla...."
We know you guys just wait to see LeBron fail again so you can feel better about yourself. Ain t gonna happen and for now let s defer the argument until they meet in the playoffs. I think LeBron has a say in this too by then.


Kobe has been saying Melo is the toughest player to defend since the summer Olympics in 08. Actually, Melo is the only player from the olympic squad who Kobe lost to in a 1-1 match.

If you have followed Kobe close enough, you would know that he respects and has a fascination with players who are complete offensive players. Also not to mention Kobe called Melo a "bull" all throughout the 09 WCF. This isn't something new to discredit Lebron although you may believe so because you may have an emotional attachment to Lebron. It's just Kobe's opinion in which he has been consistent with.
Image
ShowTimeERA

Assistant Coach
User avatar
Posts: 3,766
And1: 178
Joined: Feb 15, 2012
Top

Post#167 Re: Kobe: Carmelo More Difficult To Defend Th
Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:17 pm by Tien

I'd love to see Kobe guard LeBron 1v1 the next time they play.

LeBron would be able to back him down physically no problem.
Tien
Banned User
Posts: 1,304
And1: 51
Joined: Feb 27, 2012
Top

Post#168 Re: Kobe: Carmelo More Difficult To Defend Th
Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:20 pm by EscapoTHB

ShowTimeERA wrote:
King_John wrote:I think Kobe made this argument public on purpose. He knows LeBron is a beast and wants to diminish LeBron s value and boost Melo s Ego (whih isn t necessarily a good thing). But I love it. Now the media is going to hype Melo to no end and come playoff time LeBron is going to turn it on and show the world once again who is the best player (as he did with Durant last playoffs). Carmelo is having a sensational season so far no doubt. I just don t get it why people jump on everything to dismiss Lebron s offensive ability. The guy was regular season MVP, Finals MVP and won the Chip last year. Now Melo has a great start to the season and Kobe says he is more difficult to defend than Lebron and everyone goes like "Oh yeah ,ahem I always said Melo is the better than Lebron offensively and blablabla...."
We know you guys just wait to see LeBron fail again so you can feel better about yourself. Ain t gonna happen and for now let s defer the argument until they meet in the playoffs. I think LeBron has a say in this too by then.


Kobe has been saying Melo is the toughest player to defend since the summer Olympics in 08. Actually, Melo is the only player from the olympic squad who Kobe lost to in a 1-1 match.

If you have followed Kobe close enough, you would know that he respects and has a fascination with players who are complete offensive players. Also not to mention Kobe called Melo a "bull" all throughout the 09 WCF. This isn't something new to discredit Lebron although you may believe so because you may have an emotional attachment to Lebron. It's just Kobe's opinion in which he has been consistent with.


Kobe likes melo because melo has in the past had the same terrible shot selection as him.

Lets set aside lebron for a minute. How about durant? Durant is the kareem of perimeter players


Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
EscapoTHB
Suspended
Posts: 6,407
And1: 654
Joined: Nov 26, 2011
Top

Post#169 Re: Kobe: Carmelo More Difficult To Defend Th
Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:55 pm by IG2

'Melo is no threat to Kobe. Far easier to praise him then a player who's peak everyone considers superior to Kobe's.
IG2
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,678
And1: 113
Joined: Jul 11, 2011
Top

Post#170 Re: Kobe: Carmelo More Difficult To Defend Th
Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:40 pm by tsherkin

hokageinfamus wrote:I wasn't questioning his ability to get to the line I was just commenting that almost every star player in that particular season was averaging career or near career highs in PPG and FTA


I realize, but it's a disparaging comment because it implies that it was only because it happened to be that season that Lebron was able to reach that level. Pointing out that he's drawn fouls at a comparable level in two seasons since then and that he's reached 30+ ppg since then AND 29.7 as well indicates that even as the rules changes have settled some, he's still proving capable of scoring at a level that Melo hasn't actually reached yet.
DEAN GARRETT!!!
tsherkin
Global Mod
Global Mod
User avatar
Posts: 57,457
And1: 3,393
Joined: Oct 14, 2003
Top

Post#171 Re: Kobe: Carmelo More Difficult To Defend Th
Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:44 pm by KingCuban

IG2 wrote:'Melo is no threat to Kobe. Far easier to praise him then a player who's peak everyone considers superior to Kobe's.


I think this has more to do with the fact that Kobe see's more of himself in Carmelo and because they are close friends, than it does because of his 'fear' of the player Lebron has become.

Why is it only a shot at Lebron though?

Is it not more of a shot at Durant, who in my opinion, is on another level in terms of scoring ad production, even ahead of guys like Lebron, Kobe and Melo?
Image
KingCuban

Global Mod
Global Mod
User avatar
Posts: 65,354
And1: 9,393
Joined: Jan 24, 2004
Location: Australia
Top

Post#172 Re: Kobe: Carmelo More Difficult To Defend Th
Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:48 pm by IG2

KingCuban wrote:
Is it not more of a shot at Durant, who in my opinion, is on another level in terms of scoring ad production, even ahead of guys like Lebron, Kobe and Melo?


Because Durant's a threat too. Already beaten Kobe in the playoffs. Averages more ppg on far better efficiency every season. Has finished higher in the MVP race for a while too. 'Melo hasn't accomplished any of these things.
IG2
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,678
And1: 113
Joined: Jul 11, 2011
Top

Post#173 Re: Kobe: Carmelo More Difficult To Defend Th
Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:01 pm by KingCuban

IG2 wrote:
KingCuban wrote:
Is it not more of a shot at Durant, who in my opinion, is on another level in terms of scoring ad production, even ahead of guys like Lebron, Kobe and Melo?


Because Durant's a threat too. Already beaten Kobe in the playoffs. Averages more ppg on far better efficiency every season. Has finished higher in the MVP race for a while too. 'Melo hasn't accomplished any of these things.


What threat though?

Every wing player in this league is still chasing Kobe in terms of career achievements, and to date, his 17th year in the NBA is at Durant levels of efficiency.

This was just a guy trying to public stand up for a friend, which is the second time he has done so given the negative perception towards Carmelo at times.

Nothing more, nothing less.
Image
KingCuban

Global Mod
Global Mod
User avatar
Posts: 65,354
And1: 9,393
Joined: Jan 24, 2004
Location: Australia
Top

Post#174 Re: Kobe: Carmelo More Difficult To Defend Th
Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:51 pm by kblo247

I wouldn't just classify Melo as a friend, Kobe refers to him as one of his three brothers outside Fisher and Odom. He has more respect for Melo than most in the league because Melo earned it and as he said years ago when he was being criticized, he saw a good bit of himself in him. It doesn't hurt that Melo has a scorer mentality first like himself either.

I down think there's anyone saying Melo is better than Bron, I'm not as an overall player. I'm saying Melo sis the more relentless scorer, which has got him and Kobe at times labeled as checkers. Melo will keep coming at you even if he's 0-20 because he expects the next one to fall. Bron for long stretches of his career would be afraid to shoot late or hesitate on free throws after missing for stretches, and that limits him because he effectively defends himself.
Image
kblo247
General Manager
User avatar
Posts: 8,219
And1: 530
Joined: Apr 16, 2011
Top

Post#175 Re: Kobe: Carmelo More Difficult To Defend Th
Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:38 am by orangeparka

kblo247 wrote:I wouldn't just classify Melo as a friend, Kobe refers to him as one of his three brothers outside Fisher and Odom. He has more respect for Melo than most in the league because Melo earned it and as he said years ago when he was being criticized, he saw a good bit of himself in him. It doesn't hurt that Melo has a scorer mentality first like himself either.

I down think there's anyone saying Melo is better than Bron, I'm not as an overall player. I'm saying Melo sis the more relentless scorer, which has got him and Kobe at times labeled as checkers. Melo will keep coming at you even if he's 0-20 because he expects the next one to fall. Bron for long stretches of his career would be afraid to shoot late or hesitate on free throws after missing for stretches, and that limits him because he effectively defends himself.


:lol:
Image
orangeparka
Head Coach
User avatar
Posts: 6,518
And1: 166
Joined: Apr 23, 2010
Top

Post#176 Re: Kobe: Carmelo More Difficult To Defend Th
Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:42 am by bbms

KingCuban wrote:
IG2 wrote:
KingCuban wrote:
Is it not more of a shot at Durant, who in my opinion, is on another level in terms of scoring ad production, even ahead of guys like Lebron, Kobe and Melo?


Because Durant's a threat too. Already beaten Kobe in the playoffs. Averages more ppg on far better efficiency every season. Has finished higher in the MVP race for a while too. 'Melo hasn't accomplished any of these things.


What threat though?

Every wing player in this league is still chasing Kobe in terms of career achievements, and to date, his 17th year in the NBA is at Durant levels of efficiency.

This was just a guy trying to public stand up for a friend, which is the second time he has done so given the negative perception towards Carmelo at times.

Nothing more, nothing less.


No, Kobe's 17th is not at Durant level of efficiency. Kobe's TS is at 61%, Durant is at 64%. Kobe's eFG is at 53%, Durant is at 55%. Not an ocean between them, but that's a clear gap. Also Durant has consistency on Kobe. You almost never see Durant going 5/15, or 8/22, or this kind of games. Then you account turnovers...

Also, you say like it's any demerit from Durant if he were on Kobe's 17th season level on efficiency. This is the best shooting season Kobe Bryant ever had until now.

I agree with you. Kobe's more identified with Melo than with LeBron or Durant, so he'll always have an opinion towards melo. But I don't agree. Melo has a nice array of movements on the half court. A better polished isolation game, post moves, go-to moves, but his shot selection and ball-stopping traits in his carreer couldn't translate that into being a more efficient player than LeBron and Durant, so I find this meaningless in comparison against LeBron and Durant. Both are better scorers now and Kobe is probably better too.
bbms



Veteran
Posts: 2,822
And1: 210
Joined: Dec 28, 2010
Top

Post#177 Re: Kobe: Carmelo More Difficult To Defend Th
Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:10 am by EscapoTHB

kblo247 wrote:I wouldn't just classify Melo as a friend, Kobe refers to him as one of his three brothers outside Fisher and Odom. He has more respect for Melo than most in the league because Melo earned it and as he said years ago when he was being criticized, he saw a good bit of himself in him. It doesn't hurt that Melo has a scorer mentality first like himself either.

I down think there's anyone saying Melo is better than Bron, I'm not as an overall player. I'm saying Melo sis the more relentless scorer, which has got him and Kobe at times labeled as checkers. Melo will keep coming at you even if he's 0-20 because he expects the next one to fall. Bron for long stretches of his career would be afraid to shoot late or hesitate on free throws after missing for stretches, and that limits him because he effectively defends himself.


I'm sure if you asked him who the best player in the league was after himself of course he'd list at least 3 guys ahead of lebron or durant. Kobe knows who his real competition is. He wouldn't talk up melo if he actually respected him.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
EscapoTHB
Suspended
Posts: 6,407
And1: 654
Joined: Nov 26, 2011
Top

Post#178 Re: Kobe: Carmelo More Difficult To Defend Th
Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:12 am by EscapoTHB

Also how tight is melo actually with Kobe? He seems closer to cp3 wade lebron and that crew. Did Kobe even get invited to his wedding?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
EscapoTHB
Suspended
Posts: 6,407
And1: 654
Joined: Nov 26, 2011
Top

Post#179 Re: Kobe: Carmelo More Difficult To Defend Th
Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:17 am by gethigh

EscapoTHB wrote:Also how tight is melo actually with Kobe? He seems closer to cp3 wade lebron and that crew. Did Kobe even get invited to his wedding?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2


Kobe is kind of a lone wolf type guy, doesn't really go in with those cliques and circles. Him not attending Melo's wedding doesn't mean he isn't a close friend. Pretty sure at some point I've heard Kobe call Melo his little brother. Not sure though don't quote me on that.
gethigh
Analyst
Posts: 3,106
And1: 69
Joined: Mar 10, 2012
Top

Post#180 Re: Kobe: Carmelo More Difficult To Defend Th
Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:55 am by RatherUnique

tsherkin wrote: diversity isn't the same as effectiveness and versatility in method doesn't mean much if the end result isn't superior.

this is what people don't seem to be comprehending.
RatherUnique
Veteran
Posts: 2,531
And1: 439
Joined: Oct 29, 2011
Top

Post#181 Re: Kobe: Carmelo More Difficult To Defend Th
Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:40 am by KingCuban

bbms wrote:No, Kobe's 17th is not at Durant level of efficiency. Kobe's TS is at 61%, Durant is at 64%. Kobe's eFG is at 53%, Durant is at 55%. Not an ocean between them, but that's a clear gap. Also Durant has consistency on Kobe. You almost never see Durant going 5/15, or 8/22, or this kind of games. Then you account turnovers...

Also, you say like it's any demerit from Durant if he were on Kobe's 17th season level on efficiency. This is the best shooting season Kobe Bryant ever had until now.

I agree with you. Kobe's more identified with Melo than with LeBron or Durant, so he'll always have an opinion towards melo. But I don't agree. Melo has a nice array of movements on the half court. A better polished isolation game, post moves, go-to moves, but his shot selection and ball-stopping traits in his carreer couldn't translate that into being a more efficient player than LeBron and Durant, so I find this meaningless in comparison against LeBron and Durant. Both are better scorers now and Kobe is probably better too.


Durant had a .61 TS% last season, the same that Kobe is on this season, so yes, it is at Durant levels.

I raised the 17th NBA season because its astounding that:

1. Someone has been able to produce at this level after so many years in the league
2. Is having his best offensive season in terms of efficiency this late in his career.

Who is comparing Melo and Durant to Carmelo?

Kobe certainly wasn't. He was just giving his opinion on who he feels is a tougher stop, yet some will read into this that its a planned shot at Durant, Wade, Lebron, Rose etc and not a guy sticking up for a friend, who was on record the previous day stating that the media have been horrible to Melo last year and now they are lauding him.

It was a positive PR stunt for a friend, not a shot or a comparison.
Image
KingCuban

Global Mod
Global Mod
User avatar
Posts: 65,354
And1: 9,393
Joined: Jan 24, 2004
Location: Australia
Top

Post#182 Re: Kobe: Carmelo More Difficult To Defend Th
Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:50 am by bbms

'Melo is the best scorer in the league, period."
That Garden guy.

"[...] More [...] than [...]"
Kobe Bryant.

I think Kobe takes shots against NBA players. Remember that ridiculous stuff like the "batman" mask he wore? The all-star game when he criticized LeBron on court? What was worth the all-star game? Yeah, I think every opportunity Kobe has to put himself above LeBron, he uses it. He seeks it. His ego is just as big as his work rate. Who do ou think Kobe feels more identified with? Melo or LeBron?

He praises Melo, but from the moment he compares him with LeBron, he's trying to make a statement towards LeBron. A statement tha imo, is not true. Carmelo will always be the craftier and smoother player, but he's not more difficult to guard than LeBron, since he doesn't translate that in efficiency comparable to LeBron or Durant.
bbms



Veteran
Posts: 2,822
And1: 210
Joined: Dec 28, 2010
Top

Post#183 Re: Kobe: Carmelo More Difficult To Defend Th
Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:50 am by devv83

EscapoTHB wrote:
kblo247 wrote:I wouldn't just classify Melo as a friend, Kobe refers to him as one of his three brothers outside Fisher and Odom. He has more respect for Melo than most in the league because Melo earned it and as he said years ago when he was being criticized, he saw a good bit of himself in him. It doesn't hurt that Melo has a scorer mentality first like himself either.

I down think there's anyone saying Melo is better than Bron, I'm not as an overall player. I'm saying Melo sis the more relentless scorer, which has got him and Kobe at times labeled as checkers. Melo will keep coming at you even if he's 0-20 because he expects the next one to fall. Bron for long stretches of his career would be afraid to shoot late or hesitate on free throws after missing for stretches, and that limits him because he effectively defends himself.


I'm sure if you asked him who the best player in the league was after himself of course he'd list at least 3 guys ahead of lebron or durant. Kobe knows who his real competition is. He wouldn't talk up melo if he actually respected him.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2


So kobe been saying melo is a good player and he is the toughest cover for years but he doesnt respect melo? What is wrong with some of you guys. Smh

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2
devv83
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,625
And1: 96
Joined: Feb 2, 2010
Top

Post#184 Re: Kobe: Carmelo More Difficult To Defend Th
Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:03 am by starquest52

melo is one tough guard, i dont blame kobe for stating so


Image
starquest52
Junior
Posts: 372
And1: 0
Joined: Apr 16, 2012
Top

Post#185 Re: Kobe: Carmelo More Difficult To Defend Th
Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:17 am by TheKingOfVa360

King John wrote:Is this really news? I'd take Mello and Durant's offensive game over Lebron's easily right now. Lebron still relies highly on his superior athleticism as apposed to being as skilled as Mello or Durant is.


I agree, Melo and Durant have the best offensive skills in the NBA. Kobe does also. Bron plays ugly basketball, not smooth at all
TheKingOfVa360





Head Coach
User avatar
Posts: 7,177
And1: 377
Joined: Jun 27, 2006
Location: Va DC Metro
Top

PreviousNext

Return to The General Board


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CablexDeadpool, CB4Champ, e4d0, GswSucks4Ever, j-ragg, LloydFree, MonkeyInTheBush, monopoman, NOD, rafale, SOUL, TMac96