Tougher Future Situation: Celtics or Lakers?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Who is in a tougher situation in the future?

Celtics
54%
Lakers
46%

Total votes: 127

High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,074

Re: Tougher Future Situation: Celtics or Lakers? 

Post#81 » by High 5 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:41 pm

Unless the Lakers have a huge turnaround, I don't see either team being a legit competitor in the foreseeable future. LA does have the slight advantage, though. Simply because it's LA.
Ice Trae
RealGM
And1: 10,884

Post#82 » by Ice Trae » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:45 pm

It depends if Howard stays or leaves. If he stays than I'd say Celts, if he leaves its the Lakers
BubbaTee
Head Coach
And1: 546

Post#83 » by BubbaTee » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:07 pm

ComboGuardCity wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:I say it's close because people will want to play with Doc Rivers and Rondo. Players playing with Rondo know their scoring average will go up because Rondo will give them the ball.

I agree the Lakers will always be good because of their history and everyone wants to play in LA. The one thing that is going to hurt the Lakers going forward is that they won't be able to have a team payroll of $100-$110 million+ like they have in the past. The new CBA really hurts high spending teams.

I think the Celtics will have it tougher than the Lakers but it's closer than people think.

No one wants to play with Rondo. He's a diva.

Dwight's a diva too, pretty even there.
LKTD
Pro Prospect
And1: 441

Post#84 » by LKTD » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:41 pm

I would have to go with Boston too. The media spun the Rondo / Allen conflict and Boston is signing old players to stay in a sputtering contender mode. They have no players willing to create the next culture in TD Garden besides Rondo.
Mods on RealGM == Vivek accounts
WeLikeOurGuys
General Manager
And1: 7,151

Post#85 » by WeLikeOurGuys » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:58 pm

Rondo
Bradley
Green
Sullinger
Maybe melo

That's a good young core.

Ainge has to contend/rebuild at the same time and he is doing a great job IMO.
irie
RealGM
And1: 4,502

Post#86 » by irie » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:19 am

Sn0wman wrote:Celtics. Lakers can easily reload

Agreed. Celtics have free agency difficulties
♣|☸
irie
RealGM
And1: 4,502

Post#87 » by irie » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:21 am

LKTD wrote:I would have to go with Boston too. The media spun the Rondo / Allen conflict and Boston is signing old players to stay in a sputtering contender mode. They have no players willing to create the next culture in TD Garden besides Rondo.

Didn't you already say you thought Boston when you started the thread?
♣|☸
ndnow
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,010

Post#88 » by ndnow » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:53 am

StojkoVrankovic wrote:
LKTD wrote:After this year, if you had to predict with what you know now:

Celtics will have to rebuild very soon, can players stand Rondo enough to not cause drama inside the locker room? I don't think the franchise is as appealing to free agents as the Lakers because of Rondo.

Lakers are loaded with trade pieces but do they have the personnel and mentality to stay as contenders in the Kobe era?

I think Celtics are in a tougher situation.

The ONLY player who has had an issue with Rondo was Ray Allen. Every other player loves the kid, every coach loves his abilities.

Players around the league love watching the kid play ball because they know how difficult it is to do what he does.

Stop making stuff up

Saying everyone loves him is just as bad as saying everyone hates him. You know just as much as the OP, you need to also stop making things up.
TheToothFairy
Banned User
And1: 297

Post#89 » by TheToothFairy » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:39 am

Many Free Gaents will want to play in LA, I don't see that as a problem
AKFO
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,734

Post#90 » by AKFO » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:44 am

Celtics. Although we've been saying this for years, this may be our last year of contention, and with all of our older guys, along with younger guys with larger contracts signed for another 3+ years, if KG Truth and Jet start significantly declining without any significant increase in the play of Rondo, Lee, Green, Sully, Melo, and draft picks, we could be stuck for 1-3 years.
AKFO
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,734

Post#91 » by AKFO » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:48 am

ndnow wrote:
StojkoVrankovic wrote:
LKTD wrote:After this year, if you had to predict with what you know now:

Celtics will have to rebuild very soon, can players stand Rondo enough to not cause drama inside the locker room? I don't think the franchise is as appealing to free agents as the Lakers because of Rondo.

Lakers are loaded with trade pieces but do they have the personnel and mentality to stay as contenders in the Kobe era?

I think Celtics are in a tougher situation.

The ONLY player who has had an issue with Rondo was Ray Allen. Every other player loves the kid, every coach loves his abilities.

Players around the league love watching the kid play ball because they know how difficult it is to do what he does.

Stop making stuff up

Saying everyone loves him is just as bad as saying everyone hates him. You know just as much as the OP, you need to also stop making things up.

Not really, Rondo is good friends with most of the locker room. Last year, it was made known that he was best friends with Wilcox, Daniels, Ticket, and Dooling. We already know he was good friends with Pierce. I'm sure Bass has nothing against Rondo as he force feeds him jumpers all game. This year, we already know he is good friends with Lee, as it took a big effort by him to pry Lee to boston, and that he has been good friends with Green ever since the trade. Sorry bro.
smith2373
General Manager
And1: 1,723

Post#92 » by smith2373 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:52 am

^ Don't forget that he's pretty much been Avery Bradley's mentor and supporting him 100% since he came into the league.

When you think about, the only teammate/coach Rondo's ever had that had felt he had locker room issues with was Ray. If everyone else gets along with Rondo except Ray, something tells me that Rondo wasn't the problem. But of course the media, seeing as they favor Ray Allen over Rondo tried to make Rondo out to be the "bad guy" in the situation.
Massamba
Starter
And1: 1,141

Post#93 » by Massamba » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:58 am

The Lakers never go trough it. The only time they had a tough futur , it was when Magic retired and nobody could predict it. This franchise has something ( maybe the money) that makes it easier.
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,725

Post#94 » by Ayt » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:51 am

R9ndo wrote:Rondo
Bradley
Green
Sullinger
Maybe melo

LMAO. No it isn't.
L3GEND4RY
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,188

Post#95 » by L3GEND4RY » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:18 am

ComboGuardCity wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:I say it's close because people will want to play with Doc Rivers and Rondo. Players playing with Rondo know their scoring average will go up because Rondo will give them the ball.

I agree the Lakers will always be good because of their history and everyone wants to play in LA. The one thing that is going to hurt the Lakers going forward is that they won't be able to have a team payroll of $100-$110 million+ like they have in the past. The new CBA really hurts high spending teams.

I think the Celtics will have it tougher than the Lakers but it's closer than people think.

No one wants to play with Rondo. He's a diva.

Based off of what exactly? Why did numerous FA's as recent as this off-season go out and say they wanted to play with Rondo? Mayo, Lee, Terry, etc.

Look, I get that you'll bash the Celtics/Rondo any chance you get, but maybe for once you'll stop being a coward and defend your claims? I'll wait..

And as far as the OP goes, the Lakers will almost always have the slight upper hand due to location. But if Howard leaves, then they're screwed big time and they'll be in the tougher situation.

Signature by freshcontrast
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#96 » by kingkirk » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:48 am

The Lakers will have cap space in a couple years, something they haven't had in over a decade.

They always have a winning program, and now you add cap space to this.

The Lakers easily have the better future, and are in a damn good position to build something else.
FlashKing
Banned User
And1: 26

Post#97 » by FlashKing » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:25 pm

Ayt wrote:
R9ndo wrote:Rondo
Bradley
Green
Sullinger
Maybe melo

LMAO. No it isn't.

:lol:
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager
And1: 8,756

Post#98 » by GrandTheftRondo » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:28 pm

The Celtics will be in a tougher situation going forward. However, I think the NBA is changing and the days of the Lakers being gift wrapped players and acquiring whoever they want from free agency are coming to a close. GM's are getting smarter and LA isn't the only attractive city in the US.

Lots of posters in this thread are also overrating Dwight's ability. Sure he's a fantastic defender (slightly overrated) but can you really build a contender around him? I say no. He's never going to be a dominant force on the low block and his FT shooting is horrible (it wouldn't matter if he could get make more field goals). Are you seriously going to sit here and tell me that building around Dwight will make you a title contender? You're always going to need another elite scorer with Dwight. Especially out west.
deNIEd
Banned User
And1: 30

Post#99 » by deNIEd » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:46 pm

KingCuban wrote:The Lakers will have cap space in a couple years, something they haven't had in over a decade.

They always have a winning program, and now you add cap space to this.

The Lakers easily have the better future, and are in a damn good position to build something else.

Cap space isn't necessarily the best thing for the Lakers. The Lakers have always had an incredibly high payroll compared to the rest of the league. When was the last time their payroll was around the average?

The cap space the Lakers have would only be useful if they release the rights on their FA's, and once they do this, the Laker's will be caped to a certain amount in which they can spend. Basically the salary cap + whatever remaining exceptions they have. So their payroll after the summer of 2014 will be around $65-$70 million?
deNIEd
Banned User
And1: 30

Post#100 » by deNIEd » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:03 pm

Randomly assume the cap will be set at $60 million for the 2014-2015 season.
Also assume that Dwight will resign with the Laker's this offseason for the max contract as well as Laker's obtain no additional salaries that extend beyond the 2013-2014 season and trade away the rights to their 2014 draft picks (to get rid of the holds)

Going into the summer of 2014.
--------------------------------------------
Dwight Howard - $22.26 million
Steve Nash - $ 9.70 million

Remaining Cap Space - $28.04 million.
Remaining Exceptions - Mid Level Exception, Bi-Annual Exception

The Lakers would have $28.04 million to spend among 8 players...only the free agent class of 2014 is incredibly weak.

Hypothetical Line-up
------------------------------
PG: S. Nash, K. Lowry (MLE)
SG: B. Gordon (2nd FA), Minimum Scrub
SF: D. Granger (main FA), Minimum Scrub
PF: M. Bonner (B. Annual), Minimum Scrub
C : D. Howard, K. Brown (Vet Min)

Ya...that's not beating anyone.

Return to The General Board