Tougher Future Situation: Celtics or Lakers?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Who is in a tougher situation in the future?

Celtics
54%
Lakers
46%

Total votes: 127

Jimmy Recard
RealGM
And1: 5,370

Re: Tougher Future Situation: Celtics or Lakers? 

Post#21 » by Jimmy Recard » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:15 am

Sn0wman wrote:Celtics. Lakers can easily reload

This
NJ_YANKEE_45
Assistant Coach
And1: 111

Post#22 » by NJ_YANKEE_45 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:19 am

Rondo To KG wrote:I'm confused as to how anyone can look at either roster and say the Celtics are in a worse position than the Lakers. Celtics have more young talent, one of the best coaches in the league, and they have their best player signed for another three years under a cheap contract.

Lakers on the other hand have no young talent on their roster outside of Dwight, a coach that doesn't fit their needs in D'Antoni, and a franchise player who might bail in free agency. Kobe might not even stick around with the team past 2014 unless they prove to him that they can still compete and if Howard does leave, they might be forced into full rebuilding mode.

Not saying that the Lakers won't end up having a better future than the Celtics, but from a pure GM perspective, the Celtics have the better assets and are in a better situation for a rebuild than LA at the moment.

And plus you can build around Rondo and recruit people to play with him, much like they did with Pierce. They will have space once KG and Pierce are gone in 2-3 years

Sky_Knicks wrote:
markdeez33 wrote:Bargnani is strokin it!!! I'm going nuts in here! Prove them haters wrong, kid

:o
FlashKing
Banned User
And1: 26

Post#23 » by FlashKing » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:20 am

smith2373 wrote:How did Ainge drop the ball trading Perkins? Perkins has been terrible in OKC this season, and while he got off to a slow start Jeff Green has been playing great in recent weeks. Much better than Perkins is in OKC.

How is trying to trade Ray for O.J. Mayo dropping the ball? Are you gonna tell me Ray is better than OJ? You're telling me trying to trade a guy who went on to leave the team for their biggest competition in their conference for a player that legitimately wanted to play for the team and has emerged as one of the brightest up-and-coming stars in the NBA is dropping the ball?

I never said the Lakers couldn't attract free agents and I'm not that much of a homer to say the Celtics are better at attracting free agents than the Lakers are, which is completely false. Everyone knows the Lakers track record.

How many finals appearances have the Thunder been to with Perkins? 1

How many finals appearances have the Celtics been to without Perkins? 0

There's no telling how Mayo would have performed in Boston. We know how good and how deadly Ray Allen was under Doc Rivers. The Celtics were a dominate force and won a title with him,KG and Pierce. Boston so far has been a .500 basketball team without him.
dyukcs
Assistant Coach
And1: 493

Post#24 » by dyukcs » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:20 am

Rondo To KG wrote:I'm confused as to how anyone can look at either roster and say the Celtics are in a worse position than the Lakers. Celtics have more young talent, one of the best coaches in the league, and they have their best player signed for another three years under a cheap contract.

Lakers on the other hand have no young talent on their roster outside of Dwight, a coach that doesn't fit their needs in D'Antoni, and a franchise player who might bail in free agency. Kobe might not even stick around with the team past 2014 unless they prove to him that they can still compete and if Howard does leave, they might be forced into full rebuilding mode.

Not saying that the Lakers won't end up having a better future than the Celtics, but from a pure GM perspective, the Celtics have the better assets and are in a better situation for a rebuild than LA at the moment.

As much as I'm rooting for the Lakers to flop, having a superstar in his prime trumps the best possible scenario where you don't have that. They can rebuild from scratch around that.
NJ_YANKEE_45
Assistant Coach

Post#25 » by NJ_YANKEE_45 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:23 am

FlashKing wrote:
smith2373 wrote:How did Ainge drop the ball trading Perkins? Perkins has been terrible in OKC this season, and while he got off to a slow start Jeff Green has been playing great in recent weeks. Much better than Perkins is in OKC.

How is trying to trade Ray for O.J. Mayo dropping the ball? Are you gonna tell me Ray is better than OJ? You're telling me trying to trade a guy who went on to leave the team for their biggest competition in their conference for a player that legitimately wanted to play for the team and has emerged as one of the brightest up-and-coming stars in the NBA is dropping the ball?

I never said the Lakers couldn't attract free agents and I'm not that much of a homer to say the Celtics are better at attracting free agents than the Lakers are, which is completely false. Everyone knows the Lakers track record.

There's no telling how Mayo would have performed in Boston. We know how good and how deadly Ray Allen was under Doc Rivers. The Celtics were a dominate force and won a title with him,KG and Pierce. Boston so far has been a .500 basketball team without him.

The Thunder having more finals appearances has absolutely nothing to do with them, not Boston, having Perkins. Besides, Boston had two chances to meet them there last year

Sky_Knicks wrote:
markdeez33 wrote:Bargnani is strokin it!!! I'm going nuts in here! Prove them haters wrong, kid

Debaser
Starter
And1: 163

Post#26 » by Debaser » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:25 am

Celtics have the better young talent Rondo,Bradley, Green, Sullie, Melo
Celtics have all their draft picks
Celtics have the better coach
King Of The 4th
Head Coach
And1: 7,277

Post#27 » by King Of The 4th » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:26 am

dyukcs wrote:

As much as I'm rooting for the Lakers to flop, having a superstar in his prime trumps the best possible scenario where you don't have that. They can rebuild from scratch around that.

Who's to say the Lakers will have a superstar in his prime once free agency hits? All we have to go on is a vague comment Howard made about knowing what team he's going to sign with, which may or may not be LA.

Rondo may not have the same impact as Dwight does depending on who you ask, but at least the Celtics can guarantee he'll be on the roster for another 3 years. You can't say the same for Howard.
MetalFingaz wrote:Clearly he was trying to go off the backboard to the ghost of Rik Smits, but he forget Rik was still alive and that ghosts can't dunk.

KDBG wrote:I want to kill Jamal Crawford. Murder his 80 year old a$$. But he is probably a cool guy in real life.
FlashKing
Banned User

Post#28 » by FlashKing » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:28 am

NJ_YANKEE_45 wrote:
FlashKing wrote:

The Thunder having more finals appearances has absolutely nothing to do with them, not Boston, having Perkins. Besides, Boston had two chances to meet them there last year

Keep telling yourself that.
smith2373
General Manager
And1: 1,723

Post#29 » by smith2373 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:28 am

FlashKing wrote:

So because the Celtics haven't been to the Finals since they traded Perkins, they dropped the ball with the trade? Great logic. It's not like there were other players already in OKC like Durant, Westbrook, Harden & Ibaka. Oh and by the way, the Thunder lost to the same team in the playoffs with Perkins that the Celtics did without Perkins and the Celtics gave the Heat a better fight without Perkins than the Thunder did with Perkins.

Actually the Celtics are over .500, and I hope you aren't implying that the Celtics have gotten off to a slow start because they don't have Ray Allen.
FlashKing
Banned User

Post#30 » by FlashKing » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:33 am

smith2373 wrote:
FlashKing wrote:

So because the Celtics haven't been to the Finals since they traded Perkins, they dropped the ball with the trade? Great logic. It's not like there were other players already in OKC like Durant, Westbrook, Harden & Ibaka. Oh and by the way, the Thunder lost to the same team in the playoffs with Perkins that the Celtics did without Perkins and the Celtics gave the Heat a better fight without Perkins than the Thunder did with Perkins.

Actually the Celtics are over .500, and I hope you aren't implying that the Celtics have gotten off to a slow start because they don't have Ray Allen.

It is great logic because it's a fact. Wow, really? So Boston is better off without Ray?
Stolen Team Fan
Bench Warmer
And1: 48

Post#31 » by Stolen Team Fan » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:38 am

Debaser wrote:Celtics have the better young talent Rondo,Bradley, Green, Sullie, Melo

So you are saying that group is better than Dwight, J. Hill, Ebanks, Meeks, & Morris? Egads, writing it out, I see your point. :lol:
Celtics have all their draft picks

I think the Lakers still have their 2025 pick...
Celtics have the better coach

Hard to argue that.

However... The free agent machine that is the Lakers will more than likely trump all of that. I hope the youth of the Celtics steps up and does well. But if they don't, the Lakers will end up being better off with the accumulated star-power.
I move around so much, I've just decided to start rooting for everybody.
Except the Heat.
King Of The 4th
Head Coach
And1: 7,277

Post#32 » by King Of The 4th » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:41 am

FlashKing wrote:
NJ_YANKEE_45 wrote:
FlashKing wrote:

FYI, Celtics were a less than .500 team last year even when Ray Allen was on the roster. In fact, the team didn't turn it around until the emergence of Avery Bradley after the all-star break and will be set to return sometime in the next month.

Funnily enough, Bradley is also another perfect example of Danny's excellent track record with mid to late first round picks and another reason for Celtic fans to feel optimistic about a post Big 3 future.
MetalFingaz wrote:Clearly he was trying to go off the backboard to the ghost of Rik Smits, but he forget Rik was still alive and that ghosts can't dunk.

KDBG wrote:I want to kill Jamal Crawford. Murder his 80 year old a$$. But he is probably a cool guy in real life.
NJ_YANKEE_45
Assistant Coach

Post#33 » by NJ_YANKEE_45 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:41 am

FlashKing wrote:
NJ_YANKEE_45 wrote:
FlashKing wrote:

So Kendrick Perkins is what got the Thunder past the Spurs and prevented the Celtics from getting manhandled by LeBron and being knocked out by the Heat two years in a row? Btw, I'm not a Celtics fan

Sky_Knicks wrote:

Pimpwerx
Banned User
And1: 78

Post#34 » by Pimpwerx » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:43 am

Lakers got Dwight to build around

Boston got Rondo.

I'd say LA is in better shape, although it's yet to be seen if he will ever return to the player he used to be. PEACE.
smith2373
General Manager
And1: 1,723

Post#35 » by smith2373 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:43 am

FlashKing wrote:
smith2373 wrote:
FlashKing wrote:

It is great logic because it's a fact. Wow, really? So Boston is better off without Ray?

It's not great logic because they don't even play in the same conference. Like I said before, last season the Thunder with Perkins lost to the same team in the playoffs that the Celtics lost to without Perkins. Difference is the Celtics actually play in the same conference with the Heat, unlike the Thunder. And the Celtics without Perkins gave the Heat a tougher time than the Thunder with Perkins did.

Umm yes I'd rather have Avery Bradley going forward than Ray Allen. There's a reason why he took Ray Allen's starting job. And I'd rather have Jason Terry too, although Ray is probably the better player, at least JET isn't causing locker room problems and is willing to play whatever role Doc plays him in without complaining about it.

You're delusional if you think the Celtics are struggling because they don't have Ray Allen. The two main reasons the Celtics have struggled are they are without their best perimeter defender and their starting SG in Avery Bradley and the fact that the team struggles significantly on defense once KG leaves the game. And there's also the rebounding issue. Ray not being here is not why the team is struggling but if you wanna believe that, be my guest.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,194

Post#36 » by Catchall » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:44 am

The Lakers will rebuild the way the Knicks and Heat did. Start with an All-Star caliber player (Dwight), attract 1 or 2 more big-name FAs, draft great athletes in the late first and second rounds, attract vets who will take MLE to play for a contender. They just need to get Gasol off their books and dump Metta.

Shazaam! New era.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#37 » by 5DOM » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:47 am

Boston might have the better/more pieces, but it's all about the superstars, and the Lakers always seem to have at least one. They will probably continue to have one whether it's Dwight or not.
Stolen Team Fan
Bench Warmer
And1: 48

Post#38 » by Stolen Team Fan » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:50 am

Catchall wrote:The Lakers will rebuild the way the Knicks and Heat did. Start with an All-Star caliber player (Dwight), attract 1 or 2 more big-name FAs, draft great athletes in the late first and second rounds, attract vets who will take MLE to play for a contender. They just need to get Gasol off their books and dump Metta.

Shazaam! New era.

Kobe's contract is a much bigger albatross than Pau's contract. $50M tied up in 2 players is absurd. If Kobe was so intent on winning, he would renegotiate the rest of his contract. That right there (and finding a new home for Pau) would help the Lakers tremendously.

5DOM wrote:Boston might have the better/more pieces, but it's all about the superstars, and the Lakers always seem to have at least one. They will probably continue to have one whether it's Dwight or not.

It is funny to think that the last time the Lakers were without a superstar was way back in '95.
I move around so much, I've just decided to start rooting for everybody.
Except the Heat.
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#39 » by spearsy23 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:51 am

...in this thread the thunder made the finals because of Kendrick Perkins :o
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#40 » by spearsy23 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:52 am

Stolen Team Fan wrote:
Catchall wrote:The Lakers will rebuild the way the Knicks and Heat did. Start with an All-Star caliber player (Dwight), attract 1 or 2 more big-name FAs, draft great athletes in the late first and second rounds, attract vets who will take MLE to play for a contender. They just need to get Gasol off their books and dump Metta.

Shazaam! New era.

Kobe's contract is a much bigger albatross than Pau's contract. $50M tied up in 2 players is absurd. If Kobe was so intent on winning, he would renegotiate the rest of his contract. That right there (and finding a new home for Pau) would help the Lakers tremendously.

I believe the new cba made it so players can't restructure.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.

Return to The General Board