The Rockets should just trade Lin

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

jstarks10
Pro Prospect
And1: 44

Re: The Rockets should just trade Lin 

Post#81 » by jstarks10 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:21 am

sirdeadcat wrote:
Zubby wrote:I brought up the 3 turnovers because you denied Lin wasn't in the game during Bostons run...

He was it was 2nd quarter Houston couldn't score a bucket they made one shot in like 8 minutes... Lin's second of the game but during all of that it was ugly bball Lin had 3 tos giving Boston 6 points, they tied and then passed Houston before the half.

Toney came in and Houston went on a huge run... why the hell would you punish Toney?

Thats the thing about McHale he always plays the hot hand no matter the name/contract... Asik sat a lot too in favor of Smith.

I didn't deny anything. Tony Douglas was +3 for the game, and that's with garbage time action. The huge run you mentioned at the end of the 2nd involved Lin's three straight assist to Smith. Toney Douglas came in and didn't do jack **** besides missing shots and played terrible defense. The rockets regained the lead off of Parson's hot shooting.

Tony Douglas was 1-6 going into the 4th. How was that a "hot hand"? It was what it was, a bizzare coaching decision.

It's ONE quarter. You don't base a player's skill level on a quarter. He has been shooting about a little over 45% the past couple games when his minutes went up.
CU_NY09
Bench Warmer
And1: 84

Post#82 » by CU_NY09 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:22 am

M4P wrote:
biglove44 wrote:
M4P wrote:First it was the YOF... then came the LOF.

Douglas gave us spacing and played well off Harden. What's so hard to understand?

Only in HOU would you find a fan base that purposely categorizes a group of people to minimize their input. That's why there are so many low information members on your main fan forum.

Yeah, I'm sure we're the only fanbase that takes bandwagoner's and fanboy's opinions with a grain of salt.

No, your main forum is full veteran idiots that can't get over tracy mcgrady. 13 in 33...13 in 33....13 in 33...13 in 33.

In regards to categorizing people: When you're cornered with facts/analysis, you resort to things like, "you're an xxx-only fan, so you can't be taken seriously". So the only people who end up staying there are people who agree with you or dumba.sses who like getting picked on and marginilized.

Carry on.
OptimusOne6
Junior
And1: 23

Post#83 » by OptimusOne6 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:23 am

ubernathan wrote:Lin is a good player, he will be fine. This isn't even half way through the season for a team with 3 new additions starting. Lin is averaging 11/6/4 in what is essentially his second season in the league even under these circumstances; people are really overreacting. Not to mention that he is picking up steam as the season goes on. Give him a full season as the team's starter before you declare him to be a scrub, good lord.

This isn't a Lin sucks or does not suck thread, ignore the people that are derailing the thread that way.

This is about how Lin is being under-utilized and being treated like complete trash by the Rockets coaching staff. Lin should request a trade or better yet the Rockets should do him and the team a favor by trading him.
M4P
Analyst
And1: 1,640

Post#84 » by M4P » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:25 am

jstarks10 wrote:
sirdeadcat wrote:
Zubby wrote:I brought up the 3 turnovers because you denied Lin wasn't in the game during Bostons run...

He was it was 2nd quarter Houston couldn't score a bucket they made one shot in like 8 minutes... Lin's second of the game but during all of that it was ugly bball Lin had 3 tos giving Boston 6 points, they tied and then passed Houston before the half.

Toney came in and Houston went on a huge run... why the hell would you punish Toney?

Thats the thing about McHale he always plays the hot hand no matter the name/contract... Asik sat a lot too in favor of Smith.

I didn't deny anything. Tony Douglas was +3 for the game, and that's with garbage time action. The huge run you mentioned at the end of the 2nd involved Lin's three straight assist to Smith. Toney Douglas came in and didn't do jack **** besides missing shots and played terrible defense. The rockets regained the lead off of Parson's hot shooting.

Tony Douglas was 1-6 going into the 4th. How was that a "hot hand"? It was what it was, a bizzare coaching decision.

It's ONE quarter. You don't base a player's skill level on a quarter. He has been shooting about a little over 45% the past couple games when his minutes went up.
He's actually shooting over 50% from 3 and averaging a little over 13 a game for December while leading the league in FT%. Douglas plays well when he's not the primary ballhandler and hit a couple of key 3s and an and1 down the stretch which led to the Rockets winning. Again, what did the Rockets do wrong? Douglas is proving to be a capable guard that belongs in the league and it's beginning to show.
HoopsMalone wrote:Shaq would still have value... But to think he'd be anywhere near as dominant as he was in the post era is just ridiculous

jahlil okafor has some of the best post moves in the last 30 years and the dude can't even get on the floor
jstarks10
Pro Prospect

Post#85 » by jstarks10 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:26 am

Personal attacks. Spend some time on the sidelines and quit this going forward.
sirdeadcat
Sophomore
And1: 49

Post#86 » by sirdeadcat » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:28 am

Zubby wrote:
sirdeadcat wrote:
As I said, it was a bizarre decision. Lin wasn't playing bad at all. To sit him the entire 4th for someone who was not doing any better when you are financially committed to him for the next three years is just head scratching.

McHale doesn't play names or contracts... in hindsight was it not a good decision?

Toney was awesome in the 4th

I dont see Harden sitting when he's having a 3-17 night.

Mchale got lucky that Tony Douglas, a 37% shooter, hit some shots towards the end. He could statistically just as easily go 0-5, as he did during the Portland OT lost (most shots in OT btw). You can't rely on hindsight to justify a irrational decision.
CU_NY09
Bench Warmer

Post#87 » by CU_NY09 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:28 am

jstarks10 wrote:There's a reason why Lin is benched. He is very predictable and he's prone to turn overs. Sure he can steal a ball every now and then and his D is mediocre at best, but until his handling gets better, his plays are very limited.

Douglas is starting to heat up...prolly gaining back confidence in his shots. In NY, he was always a good scorer...he just had a period of time when his shots werent going in (NOTHING was going right for NY at that time).

So much FAIL. TO'S and D, obviously you haven't watched Lin play this year. You're spewing talking points that show me how little you know about Lin on the Rockets. :o
ReturnofMVP3
RealGM
And1: 11,580

Post#88 » by ReturnofMVP3 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:29 am

Mr. E wrote:
Aki wrote:lin and parsons (+money filler) for gasol straight up

....no.
Donald Trump is an idiot.
jstarks10
Pro Prospect

Post#89 » by jstarks10 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:30 am

lin averages 3 TO's a game and there's so many times he almost lost the ball, but luckily recovered (either by him, teammates or error the other team).
DLaren
Pro Prospect
And1: 748

Post#90 » by DLaren » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:30 am

OptimusOne6 wrote:
ubernathan wrote:Lin is a good player, he will be fine. This isn't even half way through the season for a team with 3 new additions starting. Lin is averaging 11/6/4 in what is essentially his second season in the league even under these circumstances; people are really overreacting. Not to mention that he is picking up steam as the season goes on. Give him a full season as the team's starter before you declare him to be a scrub, good lord.

This isn't a Lin sucks or does not suck thread, ignore the people that are derailing the thread that way.

This is about how Lin is being under-utilized and being treated like complete trash by the Rockets coaching staff. Lin should request a trade or better yet the Rockets should do him and the team a favor by trading him.

Lin should consider himself extremely fortunate to be with the Houston Rockets. I just took a quick glance around the league and I can't find another team that Lin could force a trade to, and start for.

In the perfect world, what team would you have him traded to?
1.Jordan 2.Kareem 3.Lebron 4.Magic 5.Bird 6.Russell 7.Duncan 8.Wilt 9.Kobe 10.Shaq
MKL
Sixth Man
And1: 227

Post#91 » by MKL » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:31 am

McHale doesn't want to deal with teaching Lin/Harden how to play together, or in his mind he has a different time frame. Douglas requires no teaching as long has he can hit outside shots and Harden can play the PG. Douglas had 0 assists tonight.

McHale is not wrong, I just don't agree with how he is handling it. But we also have to consider that McHale had very little experience coaching. He might have a GM's mentality of plugging in personnel to fit the system. In this situation, Lin is the odd man out.

I'm trying to reason this out like everyone else.
NBA fan for over 30 years. Please don't get rustled, live in peace.
M4P
Analyst

Post#92 » by M4P » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:32 am

biglove44 wrote:No, your main forum is full veteran idiots that can't get over tracy mcgrady. 13 in 33...13 in 33....13 in 33...13 in 33.

In regards to categorizing people: When you're cornered with facts/analysis, you resort to things like, "you're an xxx-only fan, so you can't be taken seriously". So the only people who end up staying there are people who agree with you or dumba.sses who like getting picked on and marginilized.

Carry on.

Except no one is using facts or analyses. Instead, the OP of this thread openly admitted that his opinions were derived simply through speculation.

Who still gripes over McGrady? A majority of us soured over him because of his craptastic work ethic and diva attitude. Way to generalize an entire fanbase. If you had watched the majority of Rockets' games this year like the rest of us over in the Rockets' forum, you would realize that Lin still has major holes in his game and still needs development. He himself admitted to it. There is no conspiracy to bring Lin down or "blackball" him from the league. Both Mchale and Sampson both openly praise Lin for his poise and modesty off the court and in practice.
HoopsMalone wrote:Shaq would still have value... But to think he'd be anywhere near as dominant as he was in the post era is just ridiculous

jahlil okafor has some of the best post moves in the last 30 years and the dude can't even get on the floor
OptimusOne6
Junior
And1: 23

Post#93 » by OptimusOne6 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:36 am

DLaren wrote:Lin should consider himself extremely fortunate to be with the Houston Rockets. I just took a quick glance around the league and I can't find another team that Lin could force a trade to, and start for.

He doesn't have to start for teams, he just needs to be put in a team and in a system where he will do well and be utilized correctly.

The Lakers would be the perfect team because he would play under D'Antoni, he would learn from Steve Nash, and he would be one of their building blocks along with Dwight Howard.

I could see him doing well in other teams too like Grizzlies, Magic, Hornets, etc.
Zubby
General Manager
And1: 835

Post#94 » by Zubby » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:36 am

sirdeadcat wrote:I didn't deny anything. Tony Douglas was +3 for the game, and that's with garbage time action. The huge run you mentioned at the end of the 2nd involved Lin's three straight assist to Smith. Toney Douglas came in and didn't do jack **** besides missing shots and played terrible defense. The rockets regained the lead off of Parson's hot shooting.

+/- isn't a great stat 1st of all... and since you are being pretty thick
When Lin checked in Houston was up 7 at the end of the half they were down 2... now its not all Lin's fault but those turnovers lead to 6 point swing and momentum to Boston.

This was also the time Houston had the worst ball movement.

They get the lead back in 3rd when the team goes off and Lin is pretty invisible
4th quarter comes Houston has same lead they did 2nd quarter... why not see how Toney does?
M4P
Analyst

Post#95 » by M4P » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:38 am

OptimusOne6 wrote:
DLaren wrote:Lin should consider himself extremely fortunate to be with the Houston Rockets. I just took a quick glance around the league and I can't find another team that Lin could force a trade to, and start for.

He doesn't have to start for teams, he just needs to be put in a team and in a system where he will do well and be utilized correctly.

The Lakers would be the perfect team because he would play under D'Antoni, he would learn from Steve Nash, and he would be one of their building blocks along with Dwight Howard.

I could see him doing well in other teams too like Grizzlies, Magic, Hornets, etc.

The Grizzlies and Hornets have guard projects of their own with Rivers, Vasquez, and Bayless. The Magic have nothing of value that they would be willing to part away with, and the same goes for the Lakers. There is no conspiracy to blackball Lin. McHale, as hard as it is to believe, isn't trying to make Lin look bad. In fact, that's probably the last thing in his mind especially after the death of his daughter.

MKL
Sixth Man

Post#96 » by MKL » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:39 am

Zubby wrote:
sirdeadcat wrote:I didn't deny anything. Tony Douglas was +3 for the game, and that's with garbage time action. The huge run you mentioned at the end of the 2nd involved Lin's three straight assist to Smith. Toney Douglas came in and didn't do jack **** besides missing shots and played terrible defense. The rockets regained the lead off of Parson's hot shooting.

When Lin checked in Houston was up 7 at the end of the half they were down 2... now its not all Lin's fault but those turnovers lead to 6 point swing and momentum to Boston.

They get the lead back in 3rd when the team goes off and Lin is pretty invisible
4th quarter comes Houston has same lead they did 2nd quarter... why not see how Toney does?

Lin was starting and they put up a good lead in first quarter. I'm not sure what's your point with the +/-

They could have played the 4th quarter with the same starters and it would have the same results.
M4P
Analyst

Post#97 » by M4P » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:42 am

sirdeadcat wrote:I dont see Harden sitting when he's having a 3-17 night.

Mchale got lucky that Tony Douglas, a 37% shooter, hit some shots towards the end. He could statistically just as easily go 0-5, as he did during the Portland OT lost (most shots in OT btw). You can't rely on hindsight to justify a irrational decision.

Maybe that's because of Harden's playmaking and ability to draw contact..?
MKL wrote: They could have played the 4th quarter with the same starters and it would have the same results.

Except no one knows that for sure... Mchale went for the spacing that Douglas gave to close out the game and he delivered. Again, what's so hard to believe?

Zubby
General Manager
And1: 835

Post#98 » by Zubby » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:44 am

MKL wrote:
Zubby wrote:

Lin was starting and they put up a good lead in first quarter. I'm not sure what's your point with the +/-

They could have played the 4th quarter with the same starters and it would have the same results.

Yea he played the 1st 6 minutes... but by no means was he the Linsanity that you crave for. He barely drove/shot in the 1st quarter.
They lost that lead in the 2nd when he majority of his minutes and handled the ball.
CU_NY09
Bench Warmer

Post#99 » by CU_NY09 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:54 am

Zubby wrote:They lost that lead in the 2nd when he majority of his minutes and handled the ball.

In the second qtr, Lin, Delfino and Harden had TO's. I wonder if you understand that while Lin had TO's in that qtr; he was a big reason why they came back towards the end of that quarter to cut the deficit to 2. Sometimes, when you let a player continue to play on the court/through a couple mistakes, they can get better as the game progresses. Imagine that.

Lin's 3 TO's came in the second quarter. The biggest lead the Celtics had in the game was also in that quarter, 41-34. Then Lin orchestrated the mini comeback.
41-35 - Lin's "half court" pass to Greg Smith, misses layup but draws the foul/shoots 2
- Lin blocks Rondo's layup
41-37 - Lin steals the ball from Rondo and Chandler scores layup
41-39 - Lin assists G. Smith dunk
42-41 - Lin assists Ppat Jumper
45-43 - Lin assists G. Smith layup
- Lin misses 3pt shot to end the half.

In the 3rd qtr, with Lin playing, the Rockets took over the lead and continued the lead when Mchale took him out.
MKL
Sixth Man

Post#100 » by MKL » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:55 am

Zubby wrote:
MKL wrote:

Yea he played the 1st 6 minutes... but by no means was he the Linsanity that you crave for. He barely drove/shot in the 1st quarter.
They lost that lead in the 2nd when he majority of his minutes and handled the ball.

Lin still ended up with a +6. By stats, Rockets would have still won.

It's unfair to not credit Lin on creating a lead. And at the same time blame Lin for losing a lead.

Try to be consistent. I'm only saying that Douglas is plays as SG and fit in with Harden playing PG. Douglas had NO assists in 25 minutes played.

This is probably not a problem for McHale as long as the team wins. He can use the next 2 season to move Lin or they can sort it out. Rockets are not contending for the Championship anyway.

I would like the management to have a little more consideration for Lin's development though, but McHale is a bigman's coach. He developed Lowry and Dragic out of town.

Return to The General Board