Race to the MVP pt. III

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Re: Race to the MVP pt. III 

Post#41 » by kingkirk » Mon Jan 7, 2013 9:53 am

KingCuban wrote:Where do people rate this year for CP3 in comparison to his other seasons?

Its no where near as good as 07-09 years, where he was incredible.

He is top 3, but no one will convince me he should win it, especially if the Clippers remain 2nd out West.

Im glad you asked this KC, its a good question.

Durant is certainly having his best season, and i'd argue that Lebron's ability and play, not his basic numbers, has been at its best, possibly better than any other season i've seen him play, and he isn't even going at his full manic mode.

Honestly, he is in cruise control this season, gearing himself for the playoffs, and is still putting in 26.6 8.5 and a shade under 7 assists a game. Its incredible. The maturity of his game and the ease that he is playing with is damn mesmerising.

His TS% is at a career high, as is his FG%, eFG%, 3PG%, rebounds per whilst reducing the amount of turnovers he is committing per game.

Again, he is doing this all whilst going at 80%. Its absurd.

Its time like this though that i wish he was still in Cleveland, witnessing his prime as the main guy.

We saw some incredible seasons in Cleveland, but we didn't see his prime at the Cavs.

If he was going at 100% and gunning for his first title with the Cavs, i truly think we would be seeing one of the best seasons by an individual in NBA history if he was able to maintain this level of efficiency.

He got what he wanted, which was a ring and less responsibility, which has reduced his individual glory a little, yet he still remains a true MVP candidate.

Whilst i loathe the man, the player is unbelievable, and it disappoints me that we don't get to see the absolute pinnacle of the man, despite him still being an MVP calibre player, which is damn scary.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#42 » by Dupp » Mon Jan 7, 2013 9:56 am

KingCuban wrote:
KingCuban wrote:Where do people rate this year for CP3 in comparison to his other seasons?

He is top 3, but no one will convince me he should win it, especially if the Clippers remain 2nd out West.

You've lost it.

edit - lol the best part is your answer has nothing to do with the question.
arifgokcen
Rookie
And1: 153

Post#43 » by arifgokcen » Mon Jan 7, 2013 11:20 am

KingCuban wrote:

Durant is certainly having his best season, and i'd argue that Lebron's ability and play, not his basic numbers, has been at its best, possibly better than any other season i've seen him play, and he isn't even going at his full manic mode.

Im about to make a pro Lebron post, well as much as i can, which you don't see often from a hater like me, so this is difficult and i hope the Miami fans appreciate this.

Honestly, he is in cruise control this season, gearing himself for the playoffs, and is still putting in 26.6 8.5 and a shade under 7 assists a game. Its incredible. The maturity of his game and the ease that he is playing with is damn mesmerising.

His TS% is at a career high, as is his FG%, eFG%, 3PG%, rebounds per whilst reducing the amount of turnovers he is committing per game.

Again, he is doing this all whilst going at 80%. Its absurd.

Its time like this though that i wish he was still in Cleveland, witnessing his prime as the main guy.

We saw some incredible seasons in Cleveland, but we didn't see his prime at the Cavs.

If he was going at 100% and gunning for his first title with the Cavs, i truly think we would be seeing one of the best seasons by an individual in NBA history if he was able to maintain this level of efficiency.

He got what he wanted, which was a ring and less responsibility, which has reduced his individual glory a little, yet he still remains a true MVP candidate.

Whilst i loathe the man, the player is unbelievable, and it disappoints me that we don't get to see the absolute pinnacle of the man, despite him still being an MVP calibre player, which is damn scary.

+111111111111111111111111111

Agreed on every point.

Especially you are right about lebron not going 100%.Cavs lebron used to go full maniac all the time.This lebron is much much better.

However i still watch some highlights from old days he was definitely much more entertaining.
Hero
RealGM
And1: 53,364

Post#44 » by Hero » Mon Jan 7, 2013 1:13 pm

KingCuban wrote:I honestly don't get the hype about CP3 in these threads, to the point where people have him at the top.

He is top 3, but i will be damn pissed if he wins MVP whilst KD is putting up numbers on absurd efficiency and Lebron fills it up at his usual rate.

If he wins it, it still won't be as bad as when Rose won it/
orangeparka
Head Coach
And1: 187

Post#45 » by orangeparka » Mon Jan 7, 2013 1:39 pm

LeBron, KD, CP3, and Melo are the top four in no order IMO.

Eventually, I think KD or CP3 (if he improves raw numbers somehow) takes it. Don't see voters giving LeBron his fourth MVP in five seasons, no matter how much more he deserves it.
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,314

Post#46 » by JordansBulls » Mon Jan 7, 2013 2:11 pm

KingCuban wrote:I honestly don't get the hype about CP3 in these threads, to the point where people have him at the top.

He is top 3, but i will be damn pissed if he wins MVP whilst KD is putting up numbers on absurd efficiency and Lebron fills it up at his usual rate.

Nash won MVP putting up 15 and 11 as well because he led the Suns to the best record in the league and no one was expecting it. Same can be said for the Clippers.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
TwentyOne920
Lead Assistant
And1: 129

Post#47 » by TwentyOne920 » Mon Jan 7, 2013 2:23 pm

Plus, narrative matters. Before Nash signed with Phoenix they won 29 games despite a young talented core of Stoudemire and Marion. They won 33 more games that season/

Meanwhile, Paul's team put up only the third 16-0 month in league history and are on pace for the best season in franchise history.
bertrob wrote:Any casual fan saying anything about Tim Duncan is usually wrong

bobly wrote:Kobe locked up his All Defensive Team this year after he blocked Lebron in the all-star game.
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#48 » by Sark » Mon Jan 7, 2013 3:05 pm

Chris Paul's backup has a PER of almost 20. If he got hurt for an extended period of time, the Clippers would see very little drop in production.

Melo's backup on the other hand has a PER of 11.
fallacy
RealGM
And1: 607

Post#49 » by fallacy » Mon Jan 7, 2013 3:11 pm

Sark wrote:Chris Paul's backup has a PER of almost 20. If he got hurt for an extended period of time, the Clippers would see very little drop in production.

Durant doesn't have a backup.

Advantage, Durant.
**** Ron Artest
**** Marco Belinelli
Stephen Jackson aint bout dis lyfe
Patrick Beverly deserves to have his knee ripped to pieces
theokie
Assistant Coach
And1: 617

Post#50 » by theokie » Mon Jan 7, 2013 3:14 pm

People tend to put LeBron over Durant solely for how the two players played on Christmas.

Chris Paul and Durant played each other this year too, lets see what happened

OKC 117 - LAC 111
Durant - 35 points, 7-19 shooting, 6 rebounds, 5 assists, 5 steals.
Paul - 9 points, 2-14 shooting, 9 assists, 5 rebounds, 4 steals.

Not that this is a good argument in my opinion, but head to head match ups clearly mean a lot in some on this board, and theres nothing really wrong with that. Also i get that its a little bit different because they weren't playing the same position, but still KD obviously outplayed Chris Paul.

Basically the arguments against Durant to be behind Paul is that he has a worse record (which he doesn't right now) and because LeBron outplayed Durant head to head (which he did, but KD's team has a better record). Slight flaw in the logic by some
spearsy23 wrote: Kevin Durant could save a dozen orphans from a fire and realgm would point out that Lebron would have just put the fire out.
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#51 » by Sark » Mon Jan 7, 2013 4:44 pm

fallacy wrote:
Sark wrote:Chris Paul's backup has a PER of almost 20. If he got hurt for an extended period of time, the Clippers would see very little drop in production.

Advantage, Durant.

He does have the second best player of all the candidates though. I would love to see Westbrook go down for a few weeks, so we can see what Durant could do when the defenses focus on him solely.
EscapoTHB
Suspended
And1: 1,249

Post#52 » by EscapoTHB » Mon Jan 7, 2013 4:55 pm

theokie wrote:People tend to put LeBron over Durant solely for how the two players played on Christmas.

I put lebron over durant because he is playing better and not even trying. The ease of his dominance right now is jordanesque.
Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
theokie
Assistant Coach

Post#53 » by theokie » Mon Jan 7, 2013 5:13 pm

EscapoTHB wrote:
theokie wrote:People tend to put LeBron over Durant solely for how the two players played on Christmas.

I put lebron over durant because he is playing better and not even trying. The ease of his dominance right now is jordanesque.
Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Thats fair. I should've written it better. Not everyone, but a lot of people changed their MVP vote based on that 1 game. Just go back to the thread. A lot of people even had LeBron as low as 3 or 4 (Durant, Melo, Paul ahead of him), then because Miami beat OKC and LeBron had a better game it was instantly flipped. A lot of people still use that 1 game to justify him being ahead of KD.

LeBron is also trying as hard as any other elite player out there. To say that he isn't is a cop out in my opinion. Sure he isn't locking it it defensively unless its a big game or until the 4th quarter, but thats pretty much the norm when its an 82 game season. He's sill clearly the better player. I'm just saying that using 1 game to jump LBJ over KD, yet putting CP3 of KD while ignoring the Clipper/Thunder game is a little ignorant.
spearsy23 wrote: Kevin Durant could save a dozen orphans from a fire and realgm would point out that Lebron would have just put the fire out.
fallacy
RealGM
And1: 607

Post#54 » by fallacy » Mon Jan 7, 2013 5:19 pm

Sark wrote:
fallacy wrote:

Advantage, Durant.

He does have the second best player of all the candidates though. I would love to see Westbrook go down for a few weeks, so we can see what Durant could do when the defenses focus on him solely.

This is not necessarily directed toward you, but for most of realgm. It's funny how Westbrook is always used as the scapegoat for the Thunder/Durant no matter the situation.

Outside of the MVP/Durant threads Westbrook is a huge ball hog, chucker, hates his teammates, 8th best PG in the NBA, nevermind he's not even a PG, he's third in the NBA in assists only because of Durant, only "okay" because he has Durant, etc etc

Inside of MVP/Durant threads Westbrook is amazing. Durant is only good because he has Westbrook, Westbrook opens up everything for Durant, Westbrook is an amazing distributor, he's the second best PG in the NBA, Durant is holding Westbrook back, etc etc

People need to make up their mind about Westbrook one way or another and stick to it. You guys can't have it both ways just so you can use him to put down whatever Thunder player you need to at the time.
**** Ron Artest
**** Marco Belinelli
Stephen Jackson aint bout dis lyfe
Patrick Beverly deserves to have his knee ripped to pieces
theokie
Assistant Coach

Post#55 » by theokie » Mon Jan 7, 2013 5:26 pm

fallacy wrote:

This is not necessarily directed toward you, but for most of realgm. It's funny how Westbrook is always used as the scapegoat for the Thunder/Durant no matter the situation.

Outside of the MVP/Durant threads Westbrook is a huge ball hog, chucker, hates his teammates, 8th best PG in the NBA, nevermind he's not even a PG, he's third in the NBA in assists only because of Durant, only "okay" because he has Durant, etc etc

Inside of MVP/Durant threads Westbrook is amazing. Durant is only good because he has Westbrook, Westbrook opens up everything for Durant, Westbrook is an amazing distributor, he's the second best PG in the NBA, Durant is holding Westbrook back, etc etc

People need to make up their mind about Westbrook one way or another and stick to it. You guys can't have it both ways just so you can use him to put down whatever Thunder player you need to at the time.[/quote]

+1000
theokie
Assistant Coach

Post#56 » by theokie » Mon Jan 7, 2013 5:26 pm

fallacy wrote:

People need to make up their mind about Westbrook one way or another and stick to it. You guys can't have it both ways just so you can use him to put down whatever Thunder player you need to at the time.

+1000
[GR]
RealGM
And1: 1,947

Post#57 » by [GR] » Mon Jan 7, 2013 8:20 pm

Woodsanity wrote:
[GR] wrote:
arifgokcen wrote:In what way please explain.

The fact that every other guy in contention has better talent? Everyone else has a top 10 or top 15 player on their team. (In Lebron's case, he has 2.)

Plus, what is the argument for Cp3 this year, rather than last? He was even more important last year, since he was the catalyst for the turnaround. This year, they have a deeper team, with more talent.

Clippers were 5th seed last season and 2nd seed this season. Pretty big difference.

"they have a deeper team, with more talent."
theokie
Assistant Coach

Post#58 » by theokie » Mon Jan 7, 2013 9:19 pm

[GR] wrote:
Woodsanity wrote:
[GR] wrote:The fact that every other guy in contention has better talent? Everyone else has a top 10 or top 15 player on their team. (In Lebron's case, he has 2.)

Plus, what is the argument for Cp3 this year, rather than last? He was even more important last year, since he was the catalyst for the turnaround. This year, they have a deeper team, with more talent.

Clippers were 5th seed last season and 2nd seed this season. Pretty big difference.

"they have a deeper team, with more talent."

So since Miami, LA, and OKC has better talent, would you be willing to concede that the Knicks don't have a realistic shot at the title?
kNicksGmen
Analyst
And1: 467

Post#59 » by kNicksGmen » Mon Jan 7, 2013 9:25 pm

Woodsanity wrote:
airchibundo507 wrote:17/9 for Paul aren't MVP numbers, I'm sorry.

Durant
LeBron
Melo (and if it weren't for injuries, Melo would be a unanimous top 2 candidate)
Paul

Melo unanimous top 2 candidate if not for injuries? Laughable at best. Durant and Lebron are putting up better numbers with better records.

Paul is putting up 17/9 due to low minutes. As great as Melo is he is by far the most one dimensional player in that group. Still a poor defender despite people saying he has turned over a new leaf defensively and all those missed games hurt him.

melo is not a poor defender.
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#60 » by kingkirk » Mon Jan 7, 2013 9:50 pm

JordansBulls wrote:

Nash won MVP putting up 15 and 11 as well because he led the Suns to the best record in the league and no one was expecting it. Same can be said for the Clippers.

I would normally agree with this, but they made the second round last year, no?

Signing Crawford & Matt Barnes, who are killing it, whilst seeing improved play by Jordan & Bledsoe, whilst having Hill & Billups on the sidelines ready to come back, for me, is the reason they have gone to another level.

Paul has been great, but I don't see his play as the driving force for their success to date.

Return to The General Board