Race to the MVP pt. III

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

MisterWestside
Starter
And1: 596

Re: Race to the MVP pt. III 

Post#701 » by MisterWestside » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:46 am

Doctor MJ wrote:There is a serious danger when you do this for making up your mind about someone and then just making excuses for everything that happens that goes against this.

It's not making excuses; it's just keeping the simple fact in mind that this is a team sport, rife with inputs into winning/losing that are outside of a player's control.

When we did the Retro POY project on the PC board I defined the terms loosely but said that it had to be based on the good you were doing your team in that year. It worked fine until we got to Wilt Chamberlain where I had a guy who basically insisted on voting for Wilt #1 no matter what.

His reasoning was easy to understand: "I think Wilt was the best player period. The fact that stuff went wrong in a particular year is just stuff that's bound to happen in a team game where things are out of your control."

So, every year to this guy, Wilt beats Russell...despite the fact that quite literally Russell kills Wilt in most years in terms of what he's doing for his team and the reasons for this are quite clear and precise and have everything to do with weaknesses in Wilt.

LeBron's issues are not anywhere near so severe, but the fundamental principle remains.

And I would agree with that guy. Without turning this into a thread hijack re: Wilt vs. Russell, here's where I would disagree with him: Russell and Wilt occupy the same tier in my rankings (I put Russell a spot ahead, even), largely due to the fact that I don't just look at the box score.

With that said, I also believe that the "weaknesses" that you attribute to Wilt had more to do with his use and the era than the player, which is why he still ranks where he does IMO.
Hero
RealGM
And1: 53,364

Post#702 » by Hero » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:59 am

After KD's choke job tonight and LeBron's triple double I think it's fair to say that it's :

1) LeBron
2) KD

everyone else

Still very close but the Thunder have lost 2 out of their last three and meanwhile LeBron has been tearing it up and KD choked big time tonight. Missed shots, missed free throws and a turnover all in crunch time.
Illhavethelary
Senior
And1: 93

Post#703 » by Illhavethelary » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:02 am

Hero wrote:After KD's choke job tonight and LeBron's triple double I think it's fair to say that it's :

1) LeBron
2) KD

everyone else

Still very close but the Thunder have lost 2 out of their last three and meanwhile LeBron has been tearing it up and KD choked big time tonight. Missed shots, missed free throws and a turnover all in crunch time.

Lol LeBron sucked big time tonight in the 4th quarter and OT too.

Anyways

1. Durant
2. LeBron

very little separation between those two but a huge gap with everyone else. It's a 2 man race.
SideshowBob
General Manager
And1: 6,253

Post#704 » by SideshowBob » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:09 am

So +/- after tonight

Durant +397 (43 games)
Lebron +265 (39 games)

Net On/Off coming into tonight

Durant +12.3 ON/-1.3 OFF - +13.4 Net
James +9.1 ON/-1.3 OFF - +14.2 Net

Estimates after tonight

Durant +12.6 Net
James +14.4 Net
But in his home dwelling...the hi-top faded warrior is revered. *Smack!* The sound of his palm blocking the basketball... the sound of thousands rising, roaring... the sound of "get that sugar honey iced tea outta here!"
Hero
RealGM
And1: 53,364

Post#705 » by Hero » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:10 am

LeBron wasn't great. Says a lot that even on an off night he was able to help the team with the triple double. He did it all out there.
kamelion4291
Banned User
And1: 58

Post#706 » by kamelion4291 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:19 am

Illhavethelary wrote:
Hero wrote:After KD's choke job tonight and LeBron's triple double I think it's fair to say that it's :

1) LeBron
2) KD

everyone else

Anyways

1. Durant
2. LeBron

very little separation between those two but a huge gap with everyone else. It's a 2 man race.

Are we talking about the same LeBron that hit a 3 after Calderon made one to take a 3 point lead with a minute or so left in the game?
Illhavethelary
Senior
And1: 93

Post#707 » by Illhavethelary » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:33 am

kamelion4291 wrote:
Illhavethelary wrote:

1) LeBron
2) KD

everyone else

Anyways

1. Durant
2. LeBron

Are we talking about the same LeBron that hit a 3 after Calderon made one to take a 3 point lead with a minute or so left in the game?

Yes im pretty sure thats the same guy that went 2 of 8 and 1 of 2 from the FT line in the 4th and OT.
imchillin
Banned User
And1: 28

Post#708 » by imchillin » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:38 am

1) LeBron
2) KD

everyone else

sucked? 31 11 10. One bad pass and a missed 3 and sucked? Team still won, Yea whatever you say
imchillin
Banned User
And1: 28

Post#709 » by imchillin » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:40 am

kamelion4291 wrote:
Illhavethelary wrote:

1) LeBron
2) KD

everyone else

Anyways

1. Durant
2. LeBron

Yes im pretty sure thats the same guy that went 2 of 8 and 1 of 2 from the FT line in the 4th and OT.

and was part of every big play in the end, oh ight cool
kidleader
Junior
And1: 16

Post#710 » by kidleader » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:41 am

XYZ JUST JUMPED AHEAD OF ZYX IN MY MVP RANKINGS AFTER ONE GAME HERP DERP DERPA DERPA.
QPR
Veteran
And1: 3,818

Post#711 » by QPR » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:33 am

Yep, Durant's insane play in the fourth against the Clippers is rendered completely meaningless by missing a three and a free throw against GS.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,479

Post#712 » by Doctor MJ » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:45 am

MisterWestside wrote:And I would agree with that guy. Without turning this into a thread hijack re: Wilt vs. Russell, here's where I would disagree with him: Russell and Wilt occupy the same tier in my rankings (I put Russell a spot ahead, even), largely due to the fact that I don't just look at the box score.

With that said, I also believe that the "weaknesses" that you attribute to Wilt had more to do with his use and the era than the player, which is why he still ranks where he does IMO.

I get that but imho based on detailed analysis if we were to quantify Russell's impact over his career it would not be slightly higher than Wilt's but drastically higher. It could easily be more than double. We end up talking about one guy spending much of his career spinning his wheels while the other guy wins the championship basically every year. If when you're doing a ranking that's not cause for a major gap, what exactly are your rankings useful for?

I understand you may not believe in the scale of difference in this particular case, but from what you say it should be possible for such drastic differences in actually playing basketball effectively to help your team to have negligible impact in your rankings.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
KDgoat
Senior
And1: 19

Post#713 » by KDgoat » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:04 am

Lebron sucked tonight?

Wow. I'd love to have any of my players suck like that on a nightly basis.

This award is still between KD and Lebron. Nothing changed.
chales_zed
Rookie
And1: 9

Post#714 » by chales_zed » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:23 am

The MVP award is flawed because too much of it is predicated on media hype and knee-jerk reactions.

Like tonight where KD played an impeccable game, made a few minor mistakes in the 4th and now everyone thinks he's not the MVP. It's an 82 game season and it's not like he had any help from his coach or teammates who couldn't box-out or defend their respective assignments, and if Curry didn't have such an erroneously bad shooting night it would've been game over already.

Rose winning in 2011 in retrospect was a joke, and just shows how flawed the award oftentimes is, ESPN and the media basically gifted it to Rose. The Bulls that season played exceptionally well in his absences, didn't they have something like a .750 record when he didn't play? During that season the best player in the league by a large margin was Lebron, and the most valuable player to his franchise was Dwight who also posted more impressive numbers than Rose.
LBJ-ITALY
Pro Prospect
And1: 164

Post#715 » by LBJ-ITALY » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:31 am

:lol: lol at everyone that change opinion after every game! I didn't:

1-Durant
2-Lebron(very close)

3-who cares!
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,479

Post#716 » by Doctor MJ » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:47 am

chales_zed wrote:The MVP award is flawed because too much of it is predicated on media hype and knee-jerk reactions.

Like tonight where KD played an impeccable game, made a few minor mistakes in the 4th and now everyone thinks he's not the MVP. It's an 82 game season and it's not like he had any help from his coach or teammates who couldn't box-out or defend their respective assignments, and if Curry didn't have such an erroneously bad shooting night it would've been game over already.

Rose winning in 2011 in retrospect was a joke, and just shows how flawed the award oftentimes is, ESPN and the media basically gifted it to Rose. The Bulls that season played exceptionally well in his absences, didn't they have something like a .750 record when he didn't play? During that season the best player in the league by a large margin was Lebron, and the most valuable player to his franchise was Dwight who also posted more impressive numbers than Rose.

Rose missed only 1 game that year. Had he missed serious time and they won that much he wouldn't have come close to winning.

'10-11 is a frustrating one. People are quick to smack it down now, but at the time it was rather brutal to do MVP analysis on because the competition was so amazingly weak. Rose wouldn't have had a chance in almost any other year but his win wasn't all that weird give how that year went down. Howard was my choice for MVP, but beyond that there wasn't much. LeBron was the 3rd best candidate, and that was largely based on everyone knowing he was the best player in the league. That sentence might sound weird but you have to remember how underwhelmed everyone was with the Heatles performance. They only saw their win total go up by 11 despite basically being a one man team before.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#717 » by kingkirk » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:05 am

chales_zed wrote:The MVP award is flawed because too much of it is predicated on media hype and knee-jerk reactions.

It's the GB man.

Just because the opinions of many flip flop over night, doesn't mean its a detriment to Lebron or KD.

On Rose, he only missed 1 game in his MVP year. He missed more last season, and rightfully so, wasn't in consideration.

Dwight only won 52 games that year. That's not MVP worthy.
orangeparka
Head Coach
And1: 187

Post#718 » by orangeparka » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:35 am

Lol at people changing their rankings after one game.
jayjamesson
Junior
And1: 4

Post#719 » by jayjamesson » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:38 am

Durant's giving it all he's got and that isn't enough to beat Lebron's coasting. And I think it speaks volumes when you have a bad game and still manage to end up with a 30 point triple double.
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#720 » by kingkirk » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:05 am

jayjamesson wrote:Durant's giving it all he's got and that isn't enough to beat Lebron's coasting. And I think it speaks volumes when you have a bad game and still manage to end up with a 30 point triple double.

In your opinion.

Return to The General Board