Race to the MVP pt. III

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Pimpwerx
Banned User
And1: 78

Re: Race to the MVP pt. III 

Post#381 » by Pimpwerx » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:35 am

The narrative doesn't seem to be favoring Durant over Lebron at all. So far, I've been hearing Lebron's name associated with MVP talk on tv, but it could just be the coverage. PEACE.
bestever
Freshman
And1: 4

Post#382 » by bestever » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:42 am

Wow! Lebron again, for MVP!
TheKiteDesigner
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#383 » by TheKiteDesigner » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:03 am

fallacy wrote:Durant doesn't have a slight lead, he has a legit lead

Don't forget a week ago Durant put up a line of 42/8/5 +35 +/- in a blowout against these lakers.

The Lakers started their D-league roster that game. No disrespect to KD though. He had a great game vs LA as well. I think LAL is going into OKC in the next few games though.
branny
Assistant Coach
And1: 28

Post#384 » by branny » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:15 am

GSP wrote:
fallacy wrote:Durant doesn't have a slight lead, he has a legit lead

Don't forget a week ago Durant put up a line of 42/8/5 +35 +/- in a blowout against these lakers.

These Lakers? They didnt have Dwight or Pau that wasnt the same lakers.
litex
Veteran
And1: 425

Post#385 » by litex » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:23 pm

Lebron vs. Durant is the best MVP battle the league has seen in years. Either of these guys would be very deserving.
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,083

Post#386 » by therealbig3 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:00 pm

LeBron really should be averaging a ton more FTA, he's getting mauled on a lot of his drives, and nothing. Rewatched last night's game, and yeah, he probably should have gotten like 3-4 more FTA.

For someone that attacks the basket as relentlessly as he does, who absorbs the amount of contact that he does, averaging only 6 FTA/game is criminal, on the refs part. And don't give me that stupid "But refs don't call fouls on him!" excuse...his FPG average is the same this year as it was last year.
EscapoTHB
Suspended
And1: 1,249

Post#387 » by EscapoTHB » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:20 pm

litex wrote:Lebron vs. Durant is the best MVP battle the league has seen in years. Either of these guys would be very deserving.

Is it really? There was one a few years back between lebron cp3 and Kobe that I thought was pretty good.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,313

Post#388 » by JordansBulls » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:39 pm

People who say CP3 is not in the running or can't win it, but It will ultimately depend on how many games he plays overall as well. He can't miss too many games. I think more than 8 games he won't get it. But it actually helps his chances because in reality the only chance he has to get MVP is if the Clippers get the top record out west. Had they lost those 3 without him, then they probably would struggle to get the top spot. He has no shot of getting mvp if OKC is the top seed as Durant has been as good if not better.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
Jimmy Recard
RealGM
And1: 5,373

Post#389 » by Jimmy Recard » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:13 pm

I think it will come down to Lebron and Durant's next meeting. If LeBron bests him again, it'll be hard to pick against him at the end of the season.
litex
Veteran
And1: 425

Post#390 » by litex » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:01 pm

therealbig3 wrote:LeBron really should be averaging a ton more FTA, he's getting mauled on a lot of his drives, and nothing. Rewatched last night's game, and yeah, he probably should have gotten like 3-4 more FTA.

For someone that attacks the basket as relentlessly as he does, who absorbs the amount of contact that he does, averaging only 6 FTA/game is criminal, on the refs part. And don't give me that stupid "But refs don't call fouls on him!" excuse...his FPG average is the same this year as it was last year.

its the Shaq syndrome. Shaq got fouled on basically every single play because he was so much bigger and stronger than those guarding him, but at a certain point if they called everything it would have sort of destroyed the game. So they just let nearly all the ticky-tack touch fouls that they might call for smaller guys go uncalled, and only call stuff that looks especially egregious.
MisterWestside
Starter
And1: 596

Post#391 » by MisterWestside » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:01 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:I suppose I'd like to hear you speak more on Durant.

His raw +/- has absolutely skyrocketed compared to last year. What is your explanation for how this has happened?

He's playing the best ball of his career (which is both something I stated several times already and is an impressive feat given his already stellar track record); AND the talented, reigning 6th man/starter-to-be is not on the bench to "steal" his on-off thunder. Pun intended. And if Harden were still in OKC, posters here wouldn't be talking about this.

I have Durant at number 1, and if the playoffs started today I'd give him the award. I also think it's not as large of a gap between him and the others as it's made out to be.

EDIT: changed from on-off to +/-. +/- presents its own significant set of issues though; great players can be stuck playing with crap playrs or crap-fitting players and not have a high +/- despite playing good basketball. Durant spent a lot of minutes in '12 playing in some curious Brooks lineups that weren't exactly effective.
Hero
RealGM
And1: 53,363

Post#392 » by Hero » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:29 pm

The way LeBron is playing, he doesn't need the best record to win. If he beats KD in the head to head again, then it's his for sure.
MaliBrah
RealGM
And1: 4,310

Post#393 » by MaliBrah » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:28 pm

lebron is my fav player but I find it hard seeing him win MVP if the thunder have better record. It's durants MVP right now if he keeps up his play and OKC keep up record and stave off miami
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager
And1: 1,663

Post#394 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:52 pm

Hero wrote:The way LeBron is playing, he doesn't need the best record to win. If he beats KD in the head to head again, then it's his for sure.

He's not going to win the MVP with the 4th or 5th best record in the NBA. KD is in the lead by a huge margin.
SideshowBob
General Manager
And1: 6,253

Post#395 » by SideshowBob » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:53 pm

But in his home dwelling...the hi-top faded warrior is revered. *Smack!* The sound of his palm blocking the basketball... the sound of thousands rising, roaring... the sound of "get that sugar honey iced tea outta here!"
Left Side Drive
Head Coach
And1: 4,143

Post#396 » by Left Side Drive » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:06 pm

SideshowBob wrote:http://www.nba.com/mvp-ladder/2012-13/index.html

Harden's now in their top 5.

Crazy how he got there even though Houston is on a 5 game losing streak. :lol:
Looking for a new signature. Currently, still evaluating.
Benedict_Boozer
RealGM
And1: 5,695

Post#397 » by Benedict_Boozer » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:22 pm

TheKingOfVa360 wrote:
He's not going to win the MVP with the 4th or 5th best record in the NBA. KD is in the lead by a huge margin.

You would think that's the case, but NBA.com just posted their rankings and Lebron is #1.

I think what hurts KD is OKC is just not a high profile team in the media, and Durant is not the media whore that Lebron is. So the lack of drama and media interest just doesn't get him the same press clippings and I think it hurts his MVP momentum.
PCProductions
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,989

Post#398 » by PCProductions » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:46 pm

As big of a Lebron fan as I am, I still have Durant in the lead.

1. Durant
2. Lebron

3. CP3
4. Melo
5. Duncan
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,313

Post#399 » by JordansBulls » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:54 pm

Benedict_Boozer wrote:
TheKingOfVa360 wrote:

You would think that's the case, but NBA.com just posted their rankings and Lebron is #1.

I think what hurts KD is OKC is just not a high profile team in the media, and Durant is not the media whore that Lebron is. So the lack of drama and media interest just doesn't get him the same press clippings and I think it hurts his MVP momentum.

I think KD gets plenty of love, using the small market doesn't make much sense here. Also doesn't make much sense to move KD down after the Thunder just won 5 straight games as well.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
NaturalThunder
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#400 » by NaturalThunder » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:59 pm

Yeah...it's close between LeBron and Durant, but I just can't see a viable argument for LeBron over Durant right now. Durant's putting up sick numbers and his team is killing folks. LeBron is putting up sick numbers and his team is barely winning or losing. Meh, it's not a big deal. Long ways to go and they'll probably flip-flop several more times between now and the end of the season.
Said in a thread about which point guards would make OKC better if they replaced Westbrook:
Coxy wrote:I think with a PG like George Hill, they'd be better than current.

Return to The General Board