Race to the MVP pt. III

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

GaryCarterFan
Banned User
And1: 2

Re: Race to the MVP pt. III 

Post#61 » by GaryCarterFan » Mon Jan 7, 2013 10:11 pm

theokie wrote:So since Miami, LA, and OKC has better talent, would you be willing to concede that the Knicks don't have a realistic shot at the title?

While I agree that Melo right now is behind Durant and LBJ (and maybe even Paul), I don't understand this logic? GR saying Melo is more valuable because he's led his team to nearly the same record as LBJ, KD and Paul despite having less talent. Despite the talent gap he's talking about, Heat, Clips and Thunder are only .5 - 3 games ahead of the Knicks. So Melo's level of play is putting the Knicks almost on par with these teams. How does him elevating his team to the level of the elite teams mean they have no realistic shot at a title?

Again, I put Melo as 3 or 4 in the MVP race, so I'm just genuinely curious as to what your logic is. Not fighting tooth and nail for Melo to be MVP.
devv83
Sixth Man
And1: 108

Post#62 » by devv83 » Mon Jan 7, 2013 10:15 pm

Can we cut this Melo is a poor defender crap out, its not true.
Brickz7
Senior
And1: 19

Post#63 » by Brickz7 » Mon Jan 7, 2013 10:51 pm

Melo to me should be #1 on everyones mvp list right now..he has the worst team out of the other 3..being paul, lebron, and kd..his team has beat lebrons team fully healthy by 20 both games..1 with and and without him. pauls team being so stacked will hurt him..KD is just KD. i have him at 2
NYK_89
Assistant Coach
And1: 72

Post#64 » by NYK_89 » Mon Jan 7, 2013 11:07 pm

Brickz7 wrote:Melo to me should be #1 on everyones mvp list right now..he has the worst team out of the other 3..being paul, lebron, and kd..his team has beat lebrons team fully healthy by 20 both games..1 with and and without him. pauls team being so stacked will hurt him..KD is just KD. i have him at 2

yeah...probably not #1 and hed need the best record in the NBA to win it... but he will be right there in votes if this continues.

People are not voting for a `16/9 player guys..even in an off year that would be hard but Lebron Durant and Melo are all having very very very good years. CP3 is just as good as them and is incredible do not get me wrong, but its pretty hard to argue that those are MVP quality numbers.

If he was able to push it to like 20/10 he would have a very good shot but those numbers are just not there whatsoever.
theokie
Assistant Coach
And1: 617

Post#65 » by theokie » Mon Jan 7, 2013 11:16 pm

GaryCarterFan wrote:
theokie wrote:So since Miami, LA, and OKC has better talent, would you be willing to concede that the Knicks don't have a realistic shot at the title?

While I agree that Melo right now is behind Durant and LBJ (and maybe even Paul), I don't understand this logic? GR saying Melo is more valuable because he's led his team to nearly the same record as LBJ, KD and Paul despite having less talent. Despite the talent gap he's talking about, Heat, Clips and Thunder are only .5 - 3 games ahead of the Knicks. So Melo's level of play is putting the Knicks almost on par with these teams. How does him elevating his team to the level of the elite teams mean they have no realistic shot at a title?

Again, I put Melo as 3 or 4 in the MVP race, so I'm just genuinely curious as to what your logic is. Not fighting tooth and nail for Melo to be MVP.

A lot Knick fans will say how bad his teammates are in this thread to argue Melo for MVP. But in then will say how good the rest of the team is when talking about title contention in other threads.
spearsy23 wrote: Kevin Durant could save a dozen orphans from a fire and realgm would point out that Lebron would have just put the fire out.
NYK_89
Assistant Coach
And1: 72

Post#66 » by NYK_89 » Mon Jan 7, 2013 11:57 pm

theokie wrote:
A lot Knick fans will say how bad his teammates are in this thread to argue Melo for MVP. But in then will say how good the rest of the team is when talking about title contention in other threads.

Ever consider that the Knicks just have a lot of fans and opinions?

But I don't really get what you are getting at...
Here are a few facts

#1 lets get this out of the way, nobody thinks the Knicks are the favorite, the Heat and to a lesser extent the Thunder are the clear front runners. The knicks are in a group with the Clippers themselves Spurs and perhaps but not likely Memphis who can compete for a championship but it would be fairly surprising and a great story if they actually won/

#2 His Second best player is fully defensive, look Chandler is a GREAT player. But he does little to help Carmelo on the offensive side of the ball. Wade, Bosh, Westbrook are all much better offensive players then the Knicks #2 who at the moment is JR smith who offensivly brings pretty similar stuff to the table as KMart and Allen.

#3 The team is built 100% around Carmelo, similar to Lebron in cleveland where they overachieved by building around a great player with players that perfectly fit his game. The Knicks have done the same HOWEVER this team has an absurd amount more talent in those players that match Carmelo then that Cleveland team did. You yourself should know about how this can win a championship after your team lost to the eventual Champion Mavs 2 years ago.
Darain
Lead Assistant
And1: 39

Post#67 » by Darain » Mon Jan 7, 2013 11:58 pm

theokie wrote:
GaryCarterFan wrote:

Apparently that same thing happens to Lebron and the Heat, and Durant and the Thunder
crowd goes wild wrote:Joel Anthony. Dude could probably give you around 27 ppg if he wasn't playing along side Chris Bosh.

I'm not a Kobe fan
nhh90 wrote:Kobe hasn't been doubled in a game since 07-08 season.
theokie
Assistant Coach
And1: 617

Post#68 » by theokie » Tue Jan 8, 2013 1:59 am

Its really not a hard concept to grasp guys. Its just silly to argue how bad your teammates are when in fact thats not the case, and if it was then they wouldnt be a contender for the title. They are 2nd in the East. They have a chance.

Why does Dirk in 2010 matter? He didnt win the MVP either. That and Carmelo isn't even close to Dirks level. Clearly Dirk had talent around him too, look what happened last year without those guys.
spearsy23 wrote: Kevin Durant could save a dozen orphans from a fire and realgm would point out that Lebron would have just put the fire out.
Sinant
Head Coach
And1: 140

Post#69 » by Sinant » Tue Jan 8, 2013 2:43 am

OKC likes to lose to the Wizards at least once per season.

Glad they got it out of the way early.
Greatness
RealGM
And1: 4,525

Post#70 » by Greatness » Tue Jan 8, 2013 3:04 am

Melo just took himself out of MVP consideration
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#71 » by kingkirk » Tue Jan 8, 2013 3:09 am

Knicks on pace for 55 wins, whilst OKC and Miami are on pace for 60+.

Melo needed to finish with a top 2 record to get it done.

Melo is now 4th in my books.

Still time obviously, but the Knicks haven't been great of late.
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager
And1: 1,663

Post#72 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 3:14 am

Greatness wrote:Melo just took himself out of MVP consideration

I guess Durant took himself out too by losing to the Wizards :lol: One game in January won't matter much when voters vote for the MVP award
SideshowBob
General Manager
And1: 6,253

Post#73 » by SideshowBob » Tue Jan 8, 2013 3:17 am

KingCuban wrote:Knicks on pace for 55 wins, whilst OKC and Miami are on pace for 60+.

Melo needed to finish with a top 2 record to get it done.

Melo is now 4th in my books.

Still time obviously, but the Knicks haven't been great of late.

They're now 15-10 after starting 8-1. They're on pace for low 50s.
But in his home dwelling...the hi-top faded warrior is revered. *Smack!* The sound of his palm blocking the basketball... the sound of thousands rising, roaring... the sound of "get that sugar honey iced tea outta here!"
Mikey111690
Pro Prospect
And1: 847

Post#74 » by Mikey111690 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 3:17 am

Melo was god awful tonight. 6-26 I believe? :o That's a Kobe esque shooting performance. :lol:

Anyway my list:

1. LeBron
2. Durant
3. CP3
4. Melo

The rest don't matter.
Tron Carter
RealGM
And1: 19,055

Post#75 » by Tron Carter » Tue Jan 8, 2013 3:17 am

Greatness wrote:Melo just took himself out of MVP consideration

:lol:

Could see this coming from a mile away.
R.I.P Black Mamba
Hero
RealGM
And1: 53,351

Post#76 » by Hero » Tue Jan 8, 2013 3:25 am

Mikey111690 wrote:Melo was god awful tonight. 6-26 I believe? :o That's a Kobe esque shooting performance. :lol:

Anyway my list:

1. LeBron
2. Durant
3. CP3
4. Melo

The rest don't matter.

6-26 reminds me of Kobe from last year :lol:

1. LeBron
2. Chris Paul
3. KD

4. Melo
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,068

Post#77 » by therealbig3 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 5:10 am

Has Melo been better than Harden this year? Serious question. The Rockets are 20-14 compared to 23-11, so there's not a huge difference in record, especially when you consider the difference in competition.

I think Kobe's been better than Melo too, but the Lakers are a mess, and Kobe is unfortunately the only bright spot on that team right now.

For me:

1-3. LeBron/Paul/Durant (pick 'em...these are the only guys that deserve legitimate consideration for MVP imo)
4. Harden/Melo
MrSashimiLover
Sophomore
And1: 31

Post#78 » by MrSashimiLover » Tue Jan 8, 2013 7:00 am

1a. Lebron
1b. KD
2. CP3

The rest
TD/Melo/Kobe

James Harden has been playing well. But strictly speaking, his performance as a Guard doesn't seem that much more impressive than either Kyrie Irving or Stephen Curry to me.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,677

Post#79 » by Dupp » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:35 am

JordansBulls wrote:
KingCuban wrote:I honestly don't get the hype about CP3 in these threads, to the point where people have him at the top.

He is top 3, but i will be damn pissed if he wins MVP whilst KD is putting up numbers on absurd efficiency and Lebron fills it up at his usual rate.

Nash won MVP putting up 15 and 11 as well because he led the Suns to the best record in the league and no one was expecting it. Same can be said for the Clippers.

Injuries also happened to the suns and they still shined behind nash. The clippers roster is stronger than ever. Literally.
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#80 » by kingkirk » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:45 am

MrSashimiLover wrote:1a. Lebron
1b. KD
2. CP3

The rest
TD/Melo/Kobe

Yep, this is how i have it, with Melo being 4th, Kobe 5th, TD 6th.

It will be interesting to see if Melo is suspended and misses games, and if so, will the Knicks continue to play poorly.

Return to The General Board