Dwight/Kobe feuding"we have to play like we like each other"

Moderators: Morten Jensen, Flash3, magnumt, Blame Rasho, tsherkin, Knickstape1214, Yuri Vaultin, NO-KG-AI

va-mos
Banned User
Posts: 1,214
And1: 15
Joined: Aug 12, 2011

Re: Dwight/Kobe feuding"we have to play like we like each ot 

Post#121 » by va-mos » Tue Jan 8, 2013 4:54 am

Illogicality wrote:
Kobe's team, should've went after the Zen Master. I don't get why they didn't give Phil what he wanted. He's won 10 titles and Dwight would've fight in perfectly into his system, but they chose D'Antoni for an old slow team?


The Lakers front office probably wanted to prove they could win without Jackson. Same thing happened in Chicago.
va-mos
Banned User
Posts: 1,214
And1: 15
Joined: Aug 12, 2011

Re: Dwight/Kobe feuding"we have to play like we like each ot 

Post#122 » by va-mos » Tue Jan 8, 2013 4:56 am

Senor Chang wrote:yep it's true

Image


Typical Kobe PR damage control. Complete with corny sense of humor.
User avatar
Mamba Venom
RealGM
Posts: 17,977
And1: 577
Joined: Sep 07, 2005
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Dwight/Kobe feuding"we have to play like we like each ot 

Post#123 » by Mamba Venom » Tue Jan 8, 2013 5:06 am

va-mos wrote:
Senor Chang wrote:yep it's true

Image


Typical Kobe PR damage control. Complete with corny sense of humor.

I love this picture
Lakers are 22-3 in OT last 6 seasons:Kobe best OT closer!
User avatar
izZo
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,296
And1: 9
Joined: Feb 14, 2012
Location: 305

Re: Dwight/Kobe feuding"we have to play like we like each ot 

Post#124 » by izZo » Tue Jan 8, 2013 8:09 am

Black Feet wrote:
Senor Chang wrote:yep it's true

Image

From Lakers forum

Image

:lol:

:lol:
Image
Apathy
Banned User
Posts: 2,583
And1: 38
Joined: Aug 25, 2011

Re: Dwight/Kobe feuding"we have to play like we like each ot 

Post#125 » by Apathy » Tue Jan 8, 2013 1:21 pm

va-mos wrote:Typical Kobe PR damage control. Complete with corny sense of humor.


Agreed. Look at this thread, though: can you believe it's working?
User avatar
Typhoon20
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,991
And1: 4
Joined: Nov 07, 2004

Re: Dwight/Kobe feuding"we have to play like we like each ot 

Post#126 » by Typhoon20 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 2:02 pm

They're pretty upbeat for a team that is about to miss the playoffs.
Image
ricochet
Banned User
Posts: 1,736
And1: 18
Joined: Sep 09, 2012

Re: Dwight/Kobe feuding"we have to play like we like each ot 

Post#127 » by ricochet » Tue Jan 8, 2013 2:18 pm

It's not much and maybe it's already known to many of you, but there was an interesting bit of info in Sam Smith's article yesterday

http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/smith_130107.html


Well, it was another loss for the Lakers Sunday night, this time to a Denver team on the road playing a back to back while the Lakers had been off. Dwight Howard had a monster 26 rebounds, but for the third time in the last five games he had seven shots or fewer. You watch Lakers’ games now and go long periods without even hearing his name mentioned. What may well be happening is Howard is realizing his first instincts were right. He didn’t want to go where he’d be the fifth best center in franchise history and standing around watching Kobe Bryant play. And now for an offensive minded full court coach unlike the half court game he expected with Mike Brown. It’s also why, sources in L.A. revealed, the Lakers, not thinking Phil Jackson wanted to coach again, only approached Jackson because Howard’s representative asked.

The Lakers can’t say much, but it’s abundantly clear Pau Gasol fits playing for D’Antoni much better without Howard. And it was a most revealing interview Howard did with ESPN of Los Angeles last week saying how much he could see the Clippers’ players enjoying playing with one another and the Lakers “have to play like we like each other. Even if we don't want to be friends off the court, whatever that may be, when we step in between the lines or we step in the locker room or the gym, we have to respect each other and what we bring to the table. I think you have to have that relationship and that chemistry off the court for it to really blossom on the court.” Whoa.

User avatar
HotRocks34
Head Coach
Posts: 6,795
And1: 5,261
Joined: Jun 23, 2007

Re: Dwight/Kobe feuding"we have to play like we like each ot 

Post#128 » by HotRocks34 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 3:01 pm

va-mos wrote:
Senor Chang wrote:yep it's true

Image


Typical Kobe PR damage control. Complete with corny sense of humor.


Ding. Ding. Ding.

If anyone in the league understands public relations and the value of a good picture, it's Kobe Bryant. Dude works in LA, for goodness sake.

Remember some of the years after Colorado where Kobe would have Vanessa and his daughters greet him in the hallways at halftime and after the game, so the cameras could capture the scene?

Kobe understands what he's doing here. And Dwight and Mike D' AnPringles are probably happy to play along, because it helps them look better, too. That's my opinion on this photo.
I am Paul F. Villarreal (PFV) of Conservative New Media

Follow me on Twitter for the best Jeremy Lin coverage on the Internet. Also, expert general NBA coverage & talk.
@CNM_JLin_Vids ---> https://twitter.com/CNM_JLin_Vids
User avatar
Grumpy Heat Fan
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,456
And1: 1,377
Joined: Dec 09, 2011
Location: Miami, Florida
     

Re: Dwight/Kobe feuding"we have to play like we like each ot 

Post#129 » by Grumpy Heat Fan » Tue Jan 8, 2013 3:58 pm

I agree. Kobe's Public relations damage control.

Look at this tweet from Kobe last night :

twitter wrote:Kobe Bryant ✔ @kobebryant
We just saw why bama will be bcs champs @10AJMcCarron and @barrettAjones not afraid to confront each other in order to win. #respect

----------------------------------------------

That tweet to me, sounds like Kobe is saying "see dwight? its ok for us to fight, now lets kiss and make up"
Image
Tarik Black
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 23,237
And1: 1,588
Joined: Jan 20, 2005
Location: El Segundo
Contact:
       

Re: Dwight/Kobe feuding"we have to play like we like each ot 

Post#130 » by Tarik Black » Tue Jan 8, 2013 4:08 pm

Lol. So when has Kobe Bean Bryant ever cared about PR? The Kobe I have watched over the years plays nice with no one. If he was mad at Dwight he would say something that pisses him off , he would confirm it through the media or he will let it stew inside him until he does in fact say something he shouldn't. He would not support a guy if in fact he doesn't support him. History has shown that.
Can't Understand Normal Thinking
Apathy
Banned User
Posts: 2,583
And1: 38
Joined: Aug 25, 2011

Re: Dwight/Kobe feuding"we have to play like we like each ot 

Post#131 » by Apathy » Tue Jan 8, 2013 5:33 pm

Phil XI wrote:So when has Kobe Bean Bryant ever cared about PR?


:lol:

Divas always do. Have you forgotten how he even got on the Lakers to begin with? Draft day?
Tarik Black
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 23,237
And1: 1,588
Joined: Jan 20, 2005
Location: El Segundo
Contact:
       

Re: Dwight/Kobe feuding"we have to play like we like each ot 

Post#132 » by Tarik Black » Tue Jan 8, 2013 5:36 pm

Apathy wrote:
Phil XI wrote:So when has Kobe Bean Bryant ever cared about PR?


:lol:

Divas always do. Have you forgotten how he even got on the Lakers to begin with? Draft day?


What so funny? Is he notorious for keeping things calm and quiet? In the past, when there have been losing streaks and rumored team rifts, does he go out of his way to joke it off? Explain.
Can't Understand Normal Thinking
Tarik Black
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 23,237
And1: 1,588
Joined: Jan 20, 2005
Location: El Segundo
Contact:
       

Re: Dwight/Kobe feuding"we have to play like we like each ot 

Post#133 » by Tarik Black » Tue Jan 8, 2013 5:38 pm

Apathy wrote:
Phil XI wrote:So when has Kobe Bean Bryant ever cared about PR?


:lol:

Divas always do. Have you forgotten how he even got on the Lakers to begin with? Draft day?


Of course I know how he got to the Lakers. I am sure you have a version that isn't 100% accurate but that's not the point here.

In fact, no, let's use that point. Was Kobe going to the Lakers done with tact and PR in mind?
Can't Understand Normal Thinking
Apathy
Banned User
Posts: 2,583
And1: 38
Joined: Aug 25, 2011

Re: Dwight/Kobe feuding"we have to play like we like each ot 

Post#134 » by Apathy » Tue Jan 8, 2013 5:54 pm

Phil XI wrote:
What so funny? Is he notorious for keeping things calm and quiet? In the past, when there have been losing streaks and rumored team rifts, does he go out of his way to joke it off? Explain.


What?

Let's tackle your question at the fundamentals.

You asked, "Since when does Kobe care about PR?"

It's common sense that he cares about PR. Virtually every professional athlete does. It's like asking, "Since when does Kobe care about money?" The bigger the star, the more time taken to craft into PR.
Dr Pepper
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,948
And1: 336
Joined: Jun 10, 2010

Re: Dwight/Kobe feuding"we have to play like we like each ot 

Post#135 » by Dr Pepper » Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:03 pm

Phil XI wrote:Lol. So when has Kobe Bean Bryant ever cared about PR? The Kobe I have watched over the years plays nice with no one. If he was mad at Dwight he would say something that pisses him off , he would confirm it through the media or he will let it stew inside him until he does in fact say something he shouldn't. He would not support a guy if in fact he doesn't support him. History has shown that.


I agree Kobe's not afraid to throw someone under the bus but I disagree that he doesn't care about PR especially now that he's on twitter and even used it to counter the media. Kobe is someone who routinely travels the globe to expand his brand, like MJ he's a superstar on and off the court.
Kobe vs MJ "Clone Wars" NBA.com video:

Frosty wrote:Funny this is called Clone Wars because Kobe is like the second installment of the Star Wars series. It looked like Star Wars but came up short. But it did appeal to the kiddies.
Tarik Black
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 23,237
And1: 1,588
Joined: Jan 20, 2005
Location: El Segundo
Contact:
       

Re: Dwight/Kobe feuding"we have to play like we like each ot 

Post#136 » by Tarik Black » Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:07 pm

Apathy wrote:
Phil XI wrote:
What so funny? Is he notorious for keeping things calm and quiet? In the past, when there have been losing streaks and rumored team rifts, does he go out of his way to joke it off? Explain.


What?

Let's tackle your question at the fundamentals.

You asked, "Since when does Kobe care about PR?"

It's common sense that he cares about PR. Virtually every professional athlete does. It's like asking, "Since when does Kobe care about money?" The bigger the star, the more time taken to craft into PR.


Oh I see what you are doing. On one hand you are claiming.... oh look it's Kobe doing his typical PR bit. But when I point out that Kobe is not known for being a PR first guy, you change the argument to.. everyone cares about PR.

In this case, Kobe has had awful PR through the history of his career. That's not a compliment.

From the "draft" ( which you pointed out and are now avoiding)
Del Harris
Phil Jackson
Shaquille Oneal
Smush Parker
Karl Malone
Mitch, Jimmy
Pau

There is a long history of Kobe saying " F U " to PR. But you are right, I guess, it's really all about Kobe doing and saying the right things, always. :roll:


As a Laker fan, I wish Kobe had better PR over the years. FYI
Can't Understand Normal Thinking
Tarik Black
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 23,237
And1: 1,588
Joined: Jan 20, 2005
Location: El Segundo
Contact:
       

Re: Dwight/Kobe feuding"we have to play like we like each ot 

Post#137 » by Tarik Black » Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:10 pm

Dr Pepper wrote:
Phil XI wrote:Lol. So when has Kobe Bean Bryant ever cared about PR? The Kobe I have watched over the years plays nice with no one. If he was mad at Dwight he would say something that pisses him off , he would confirm it through the media or he will let it stew inside him until he does in fact say something he shouldn't. He would not support a guy if in fact he doesn't support him. History has shown that.


I agree Kobe's not afraid to throw someone under the bus but I disagree that he doesn't care about PR especially now that he's on twitter and even used it to counter the media. Kobe is someone who routinely travels the globe to expand his brand, like MJ he's a superstar on and off the court.


Ok, let's get this on point.

Does Kobe care about his image? Sure.

Has he every shown a willingness to soften a situation like this? Has he ever went to bat for a teammate in the midst of a reported fight and a terrible losing streak? I have never seen that Kobe before
Can't Understand Normal Thinking
Dr Pepper
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,948
And1: 336
Joined: Jun 10, 2010

Re: Dwight/Kobe feuding"we have to play like we like each ot 

Post#138 » by Dr Pepper » Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:10 pm

Yea maybe Kobe doesn't care that much about PR, but his PR guys might ;)

EDIT: And maybe the image conscious Dwight Howard has a role too
Kobe vs MJ "Clone Wars" NBA.com video:

Frosty wrote:Funny this is called Clone Wars because Kobe is like the second installment of the Star Wars series. It looked like Star Wars but came up short. But it did appeal to the kiddies.
User avatar
420
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,057
And1: 536
Joined: Jul 06, 2012
Location: 601 Biscayne Blvd.
     

Re: Dwight/Kobe feuding"we have to play like we like each ot 

Post#139 » by 420 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:12 pm

StrengthNHonor wrote:Look at this tweet from Kobe last night :

twitter wrote:Kobe Bryant ✔ @kobebryant
We just saw why bama will be bcs champs @10AJMcCarron and @barrettAjones not afraid to confront each other in order to win. #respect

----------------------------------------------

That tweet to me, sounds like Kobe is saying "see dwight? its ok for us to fight, now lets kiss and make up"
Agreed. A lot of the times you gotta learn to read between the lines.
Image

[/img]http://i.imgur.com/JQHQ0.jpg?1[/img][/img]http://i.imgur.com/hsj0N.jpg?1[/img][/img]http://i.imgur.com/ne1W1.jpg?1[/img][/img]http://i.imgur.com/4d3sD.jpg?1[/img]
Tarik Black
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 23,237
And1: 1,588
Joined: Jan 20, 2005
Location: El Segundo
Contact:
       

Re: Dwight/Kobe feuding"we have to play like we like each ot 

Post#140 » by Tarik Black » Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:17 pm

Dr Pepper wrote:Yea maybe Kobe doesn't care that much about PR, but his PR guys might ;)

EDIT: And maybe the image conscious Dwight Howard has a role too


Hey if this is the new Kobe Bryant. Great. It's been a long time coming.
Can't Understand Normal Thinking

Return to The General Board