Woj: Phoenix in talks to acquire Rudy Gay

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

whocurrz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,453

Re: Woj: Phoenix in talks to acquire Rudy Gay 

Post#41 » by whocurrz » Tue Jan 8, 2013 7:23 pm

mg wrote:Usually when trade talks hit the interwebs the talks are usually already dead.

Dudley+pick+filler would have been a great deal for Memphis.

Haven't the Suns learned their lesson yet about overpaying for non-franchise type players? Small/mid market teams cannot afford to overpay for talent.

Agreed. Suns need to finally do the right thing, tank and get a good player in the top end of the draft. The only way they're going to improve besides making big moves like Miami, Boston, LA, is if you have cheap talented players. So they need to hit on those draft picks and have good players on rookie deals that can then be resigned. Then sign or trade for a guy who is on a sizable deal that compliments the young core.

They most likely have the Lakers pick. They should make a trade for another pick that also allows them to tank this year. Gortat and Dudley are valuable pieces, but not franchise changers and will be useless by the time of their next go around. This gets them another pick and improves their pick when they tank and they can have a nice quick rebuild. Let those young guys play as much as possible to hopefully get another lotto pick and then they can be ready to make moves.

Also, by tank I don't mean purposefully throw away games, I mean trade players keeping them on the treadmill for assets that help the future. Being too talent-devoid to not win games for this year while getting young guys as much playing time as possible for experience and roster evaluation.

This is a team that has to take on step back to take two steps forward, because they have some bad deals and veterans that won't win them anything, but also don't have the assets to trade for a real difference maker
Jarret Jack: “I brought one of my best suits. But looking down at this jersey, it’s just a sense of pride I don’t think I’ve ever felt as a professional. … Nothing in my closet is better than what I have on now."
GeneralNbaFan
Pro Prospect
And1: 34

Post#42 » by GeneralNbaFan » Tue Jan 8, 2013 7:38 pm

I really dont get it!
Why would a team, who has a good shot to make it to the finals would trade one of the best player? I understand that he get paid more than he earns ! And Memphis is over the tax, but I think reaching next round in the playoffs would bring cash for the teams!
KrazySixersD
General Manager
And1: 1,008

Post#43 » by KrazySixersD » Tue Jan 8, 2013 7:42 pm

i dont have a link but a friend texted me saying he saw that philly was involved as a 3rd team and philly was trying to get gortat in the deal...

no idea if true but ya...
Beard
Sixth Man
And1: 28

Post#44 » by Beard » Tue Jan 8, 2013 7:47 pm

does anyone have any website that shows the exact negotiations as they are happening? i'm sick of this he said she said
Axel
Veteran
And1: 1,133

Post#45 » by Axel » Tue Jan 8, 2013 7:51 pm

Gay will fit perfectly on Phoenix's treadmill team. Sarver is a joke.
Beard
Sixth Man

Post#46 » by Beard » Tue Jan 8, 2013 7:53 pm

if they did that, people like us would be on that website around the clock right now. end result would be that the transparency into negotiation tactics would increase the competitiveness of the job, putting more public pressure on owners to react to their opinions of what they can see. it can be a sport of its own almost.
Beard
Sixth Man

Post#47 » by Beard » Tue Jan 8, 2013 7:55 pm

Dragic
Tucker
Gay
Morris
Gortat
phx#7
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,316

Post#48 » by phx#7 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 7:57 pm

Frank Mulely wrote:hard to figure out PHO strategy. I think mainly they just want to make a profit.

Babby and Blanks took over the team the summer after the Suns went to the WCF. Pretty much all their talent acquisition has been an unmitigated disaster with the exception of Gortat(lucky since it got rid of Hedo, the first player they acquired) and PJ Tucker. The only other decent addition has been Dragic, but it was reported that the owner pursued him and that Babby/Blanks didn't want him.

Both of their contracts are up at the end of the year and with the hard sell they gave the fanbase on Beasley still fresh in every-ones minds they're likely capable of anything they think may save their jobs.
Sabzi
Sixth Man
And1: 32

Post#49 » by Sabzi » Tue Jan 8, 2013 7:59 pm

Frank Mulely wrote:hard to figure out PHO strategy. I think mainly they just want to make a profit.

One of many clueless/selfish NBA franchises.
Portland Trail Blazers
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,909

Post#50 » by Fo-Real » Tue Jan 8, 2013 8:04 pm

KrazySixersD wrote:i dont have a link but a friend texted me saying he saw that philly was involved as a 3rd team and philly was trying to get gortat in the deal...

no idea if true but ya...

Somehow Phx. gets rid of Gortat Duds and filler and comes out of it with Gay Bynum and Wroten??? I would S#!T myself!!!
lazfa199
Rookie
And1: 14

Post#51 » by lazfa199 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 8:05 pm

collecting the g's

gay, goran, gortat, garrett, gentry
KrazySixersD
General Manager

Post#52 » by KrazySixersD » Tue Jan 8, 2013 8:06 pm

bynum would not be involved lol... philly is not trading bynum for gortat lol
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,909

Post#53 » by Fo-Real » Tue Jan 8, 2013 8:17 pm

KrazySixersD wrote:bynum would not be involved lol... philly is not trading bynum for gortat lol

You dont think Phi. has lost faith in him? He seems to have lost his mind, wasnt the sharpest knife in the drawer to begin with..... injury is worse than expected.... now after possibly having him for half a year (if his knee holds up), you now have to throw a BOAT LOAD!!! of money at him to keep him!! With the success you guys are having without having him, you dont think for a second that a healthy Gortat coming in (when Bynum hasnt even played for you, or helped to get you where you are now), could help for a playoff run?
KrazySixersD
General Manager

Post#54 » by KrazySixersD » Tue Jan 8, 2013 8:18 pm

success? we are five games under .500.... bynum's news yesterday was good news and many think he will be back after the all star game...

i like gortat but the dropoff from gortat to bynum is a big one and philly is not going that route.. it was a nice try tho lol
tfmiii
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,024

Post#55 » by tfmiii » Tue Jan 8, 2013 8:27 pm

my guess it is partly a way for PHX to get rid of malcontents, partly a way for MEM to drop salary. Memphis GM

Chris Wallace (is he still calling the shots?) loves to try and 'redeem' players - his best claim to success being Zach Randolph. He also tried to redeem Vin Baker, so he is willing to take what others would consider absurd risks. So he may be the only GM in the league willing to take on Beasley.

Throw in a couple of expiring (Wes Johnson, Telfair) and the deal may look something like this:

Memphis Grizzlies Trade Breakdown
Change in Team Outlook: +12.3 ppg, +3.3 rpg, and +5.2 apg.

Incoming Players
Michael Beasley
23 year old , 6-10, 235 lb F from Kansas State
9.6 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 2.1 apg in 22.6 minutes
Wesley Johnson
25 year old , 6-7, 215 lb G-F from Syracuse
2.6 ppg, 0.8 rpg, 0.4 apg in 6.4 minutes
Jared Dudley
27 year old , 6-7, 225 lb F from Boston College
11.7 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 2.5 apg in 30.0 minutes
Sebastian Telfair
27 year old , 6-0, 170 lb G from Abraham Lincoln High School (New York)
6.2 ppg, 1.5 rpg, 2.7 apg in 18.2 minutes
Outgoing Players
Rudy Gay
26 year old , 6-8, 230 lb F from Connecticut
17.8 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 2.5 apg in 36.5 minutes in 2012-2013

Phoenix Suns Trade Breakdown
Change in Team Outlook: -12.3 ppg, -3.3 rpg, and -5.2 apg.

Incoming Players
Rudy Gay
26 year old , 6-8, 230 lb F from Connecticut
17.8 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 2.5 apg in 36.5 minutes
Outgoing Players
Michael Beasley
23 year old , 6-10, 235 lb F from Kansas State
9.6 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 2.1 apg in 22.6 minutes in 2012-2013
Wesley Johnson
25 year old , 6-7, 215 lb G-F from Syracuse
2.6 ppg, 0.8 rpg, 0.4 apg in 6.4 minutes in 2012-2013
Jared Dudley
27 year old , 6-7, 225 lb F from Boston College
11.7 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 2.5 apg in 30.0 minutes in 2012-2013
Sebastian Telfair
27 year old , 6-0, 170 lb G from Abraham Lincoln High School (New York)
6.2 ppg, 1.5 rpg, 2.7 apg in 18.2 minutes in 2012-2013
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,505

Post#56 » by Dominator83 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 8:30 pm

I dont think theyre gonna have to pay a boat load of $$ right off the bat. Yea he'll get a big salary, but probably a short term deal. I know alot of GMs out there are both stupid and despirate, but I just cant see someone being THAT dumb and throwing Bynum a 5 year max offer with all these red flags on his long term health
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
yellowsub264
Senior
And1: 149

Post#57 » by yellowsub264 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:46 pm

Memphis sends Gay to Phoenix

Phoenix sends Dudley, Brown, 1st to Memphis, Gortat to Boston

Boston sends Bradley to Phoenix, Sullinger to Memphis
God gave me a passion for basketball that burns inside of me like that of a venereal disease
Jase
RealGM
And1: 158

Post#58 » by Jase » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:51 pm

DeenNY31 wrote:Wtf is Phoenix thinking???

I don't get it. Dudley is a great guy to have on the team. Gay is overpriced and NOT going to make PHX any better. He'll make them worse.

For the price I'm paying for them (in theory), and the production I'm getting, I'd rather have Dudley.
"A winner listens. A loser just waits until it's their turn to talk."
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#59 » by thamadkant » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:00 pm

SUNS FO need to be taken to court to face treason to the franchise and city of Phoenix, state of Arizona if they do this deal....

ridiculously favouring Grizzlies..... they eliminate a no impact player getting paid max money, gets their "perfect" 4th best player on 4 million dollars a year who nails open shots, have high IQ, play good defence... they also get first round picks.. WOW....

maybe Grizzlies using Suns to kick off bidding from other teams, giving them impressions of what it'll take to get Gay off their hands... basically a very good servicable role player on great contract and first round picks.

No from me (Suns fan), absolutely a disgrace.
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#60 » by thamadkant » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:10 pm

My proposal

SUNS - WARRIORS - GRIZZLIES

SUNS
IN: H.Barnes + R.Jefferson + T.Wroten + B.Rush
OUT: Dudley + W.Johnson (Expiring) + Frye + Beasley

WARRIORS
IN: Gay + Frye