Woj: Phoenix in talks to acquire Rudy Gay

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Bskey
Veteran
And1: 144

Re: Woj: Phoenix in talks to acquire Rudy Gay 

Post#61 » by Bskey » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:11 pm

I still have no idea how Gay built up this reputation he seems to have as a star player.
LarsV8
General Manager
And1: 3,835

Post#62 » by LarsV8 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:15 pm

Bskey wrote:I still have no idea how Gay built up this reputation he seems to have as a star player.

Starts with draft position.

People still think Leonard is better than Parsons.
Jodi
Banned User
And1: 52

Post#63 » by Jodi » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:25 pm

A lot of people here are either young or just dumb...Gay>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Dudley, it's not even close...Dudley is a role player that shouldn't even be starting while Gay is top 5 SF in the league...Lets get serious...
yellowsub264
Senior
And1: 149

Post#64 » by yellowsub264 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:28 pm

Jodi wrote:A lot of people here are either young or just dumb...Gay>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Dudley, it's not even close...Dudley is a role player that shouldn't even be starting while Gay is top 5 SF in the league...Lets get serious...

You have to factor in salary
God gave me a passion for basketball that burns inside of me like that of a venereal disease
Milkdud
RealGM
And1: 137

Post#65 » by Milkdud » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:33 pm

yellowsub264 wrote:
Jodi wrote:A lot of people here are either young or just dumb...Gay>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Dudley, it's not even close...Dudley is a role player that shouldn't even be starting while Gay is top 5 SF in the league...Lets get serious...

+1000

Dudley is slotted in at 4.25mil for the next couple seasons while Gay is getting roughly 16.5,18 then 19mil.

Gay is a better player but the gap in skill is much closer then the gap in salary.

If I was the Suns I;m not trading for Gay unless I can dump some dead weight salary like Frye or Beasley along with Duds.
Jodi
Banned User

Post#66 » by Jodi » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:37 pm

yellowsub264 wrote:

Gay is overpaid but he's also a go-to-guy...Go-to-guys usually cost a lot of money, they also attract other good players to come play with the organization...I think Rudy would be a nice fit in Phoenix and I'm a Piston fan...
Bskey
Veteran

Post#67 » by Bskey » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:48 pm

Yes lets, in no order.

LeBron
Durant
Batum
Melo
Pierce

That's just 5. There are more guys that I would take over him.
Frank Mulely
Head Coach
And1: 649

Post#68 » by Frank Mulely » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:51 pm

1UPZ wrote:My proposal

SUNS - WARRIORS - GRIZZLIES

SUNS
IN: H.Barnes + R.Jefferson + T.Wroten + B.Rush
OUT: Dudley + W.Johnson (Expiring) + Frye + Beasley

WARRIORS
IN: Gay + Frye
OUT: R.Jefferson + B.Rush + H.Barnes

GRIZZLIES
IN: Dudley + W.Johnson (Expiring) + Beasley
OUT: Gay + Wroten

No from Oakland. Gay isn't pushing us into contention, our wing situation is okay now. we need to add a bench big.
Shv3d wrote:
Frank Mulely wrote:Honestly if this was the 80s

The official motto of RealGM.
UnderdogKnicks
Starter
And1: 40

Post#69 » by UnderdogKnicks » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:52 pm

Trading Gay is a smart move by Memphis if it helps them in their future. Gay just isn't worth the money. They are still a top team without Gay, it's the Zbo + Marc Gasol combo that makes them who they are.
Classics :

Knicks, Giants, Yankees, Rangers
Jodi
Banned User

Post#70 » by Jodi » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:55 pm

Bskey wrote:

Yes lets, in no order.

LeBron
Durant
Batum
Melo
Pierce

Lets forget the players salaries for a second...I respect your opinion but your crazy if you would take Batum or Pierce over Gay...
Lebron
Durant
Melo
Josh Smith(if you consider him a SF)
Gay
Pierce
Frank Mulely
Head Coach
And1: 649

Post#71 » by Frank Mulely » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:57 pm

I'll take Batum over Gay. Athletic glue guy who can guard multiple positions at nearly half the cost vs. overpaid ballstopper? count me out of wanting to pay for Gay.
Shv3d wrote:
Frank Mulely wrote:Honestly if this was the 80s

The official motto of RealGM.
Bskey
Veteran

Post#72 » by Bskey » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:59 pm

Jodi wrote:
Bskey wrote:

Yes lets, in no order.

LeBron
Durant
Batum
Melo
Pierce

Lets forget the players salaries for a second...I respect your opinion but your crazy if you would take Batum or Pierce over Gay...
Lebron
Durant
Melo
Gay
Pierce

Why? They are both better. Instead of calling people dumb or crazy try actually making an argument. Gay managed to build a reputation as a star. He's not, despite what his income says.

I can see wanting to take Gay over PP if age is factored though.
Rubberduck
Sophomore
And1: 5

Post#73 » by Rubberduck » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:03 pm

I really doubt you'd want Pierce on your team since he probably only has two years left in the tank.
Batum? I can understand that one, but let's be honest here, this guy hasn't proved himself self yet. Not to mention the injury issues.
BubbaTee
Head Coach
And1: 546

Post#74 » by BubbaTee » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:06 pm

Jodi wrote:Lets forget the players salaries for a second...I respect your opinion but your crazy if you would take Batum or Pierce over Gay...
Lebron
Durant
Melo
Gay
Pierce

Batum wouldn't take 100 more shots than Zach Randolph in 30 games, even though he's only shooting 40%. Rudy Gay is doing that right now.

Batum wouldn't have as many turnovers as he does assists. Rudy Gay is doing that right now.

The Grizz have 2 potent inside weapons, they don't need a SF playing inefficient hero-ball on the perimeter.
mirv
Junior
And1: 47

Post#75 » by mirv » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:11 pm

The only way this will happen is if Phoenix can get rid of beasley

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=aob86cc
Sup?
Jodi
Banned User

Post#76 » by Jodi » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:11 pm

Bskey wrote:
Jodi wrote:
Bskey wrote:
Yes lets, in no order.

LeBron
Durant
Batum
Melo
Pierce

Lebron
Durant
Melo
Gay
Pierce

Why? They are both better. Instead of calling people dumb or crazy try actually making an argument. Gay managed to build a reputation as a star. He's not, despite what his income says.

I can see wanting to take Gay over PP if age is factored though.

Why do I need to make an argument when the stats speak for there self?..Dudley averages like 11ppg and is a role player while Gay averages 18ppg and he's a go-to-guy...If I need to make an argument about that you must not watch basketball or you just don't know the game of basketball...

Batum is no where near better than Gay...Both Batum and Gay FG% are similar and Gay PPG is higher and he plays less minutes...In addition, Batum has never played a full health season since he's been in the league...An argument about Batum vs. Gay is worthless...
Bskey
Veteran

Post#77 » by Bskey » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:12 pm

Rubberduck wrote:I really doubt you'd want Pierce on your team since he probably only has two years left in the tank.
Batum? I can understand that one, but let's be honest here, this guy hasn't proved himself self yet. Not to mention the injury issues.

Jodi wrote:Batum isn't no where near better than Gay...Both Batum and Gay FG% are similar and Gay PPG is higher and he plays less minutes...An argument about Batum vs. Gay is worthless...

Are you sure about that Jodi? And how has Gay proven himself? By getting that contract?

PPG/RPG/APG
Batum - 16.3/5.5/4.5 - MPG at 38.5
Gay - 17.8/5.8/2.5 - MPG at 36.5

Steals/Blocks/Turnovers
Batum- 1.5/1.2/2.5
Gay - 1.5/0.7/2.4

At face value they are pretty comparable, Gay is a slightly better rebounder and has more points where Batum is a much better assist man and gets almost double the blocks. Factor in Batum's versatility on defense and I would take Batum.

Now if you really want to get into it, you can look at advanced and efficiency stats. Which start to favor Batum even more. Given that he's also younger than Gay, yeah I would take Batum HAPPILY over Gay even if salary wasn't an issue.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,934

Post#78 » by DusterBuster » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:13 pm

Rubberduck wrote:I really doubt you'd want Pierce on your team since he probably only has two years left in the tank.

What exactly has Gay proven again?

And injury issues? Outside of minor dings that all players get, he's never had anything major that should cause any concern.

Batum is easily a better player than Gay. Much better of an all around player than Gay will ever be.

Rudy Gay is the same player he's been since his 2nd year in the league. He's steady, I'll give him that. But he's shown absolutely ZERO growth since his sophomore season.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,840

Post#79 » by JF5 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:15 pm

I don't understand this trade for Memphis.

Granted Rudy Gay is not a star. If you want to win in the NBA you need a guy who is a scorer. The team is perfectly constructed right now.

is it because they want to shed money?
Milkdud
RealGM
And1: 137

Post#80 » by Milkdud » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:15 pm

Similar in that Batum's FG% 3P% FT% are all better similar? Not to mention Batum gets 2 more assists a game then Gay. I'd also argue Batum is a superior defender.

Return to The General Board