yardbarker

Woj: Phoenix in talks to acquire Rudy Gay

Moderators: Morten Jensen, Blame Rasho, Flash3, Yuri Vaultin, magnumt, tsherkin, NO-KG-AI, Doctor MJ, UGA Hayes, Basti, KingCuban

Post#91 Re: Woj: Phoenix in talks to acquire Rudy Gay
Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:25 pm by BubbaTee

Jodi wrote:Batum is no where near better than Gay...Both Batum and Gay FG% are similar and Gay PPG is higher and he plays less minutes...


Gay's PPG is higher because he jacks up 17 shots a game.

In addition, Batum has never played a full health season since he's been in the league...


:-?

Batum played 79 games as a rookie and 80 games in 2010-11. Those both look like pretty healthy seasons to me.

Unless the standard for "full health" is playing all 82 - in which case Rudy Gay has never played a full health season either.

Jodi wrote:Why do I need to make an argument when the stats speak for there self?


TS%
Batum 57.3
Gay 48.4

eFG%
Batum 52.3
Gay 43.9

PER
Batum 17.9
Gay 14.9

WS/48
Batum .130
Gay .103

Off-Def Rating
Batum 112-107 (+5)
Gay 99-99 (+0)

Jodi wrote:Why do I need to make an argument when the stats speak for there self?


They certainly do...
BubbaTee
Head Coach
Posts: 6,395
And1: 534
Joined: Mar 10, 2008
Top

Post#92 Re: Woj: Phoenix in talks to acquire Rudy Gay
Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:27 pm by Bskey

Rubberduck wrote:
Bskey wrote:
Now if you really want to get into it, you can look at advanced stats. Which start to favor Batum even more. Given that he's also younger than Gay, yeah I would take Batum HAPPILY over Gay even if salary wasn't an issue.


small sample size on Batum. Why not use two full seasons?

Using your logic you'd think that Lin justified his contract.


We could factor in last season where Batum was also more efficient if you want.

EDIT: Anyway, I will stop. This thread is about the trade which I think would be horrible for Phoenix. I do NOT think Gay is a bad player, he is just not worth that contract.
Bskey
Veteran
User avatar
Posts: 2,550
And1: 141
Joined: Jun 16, 2008
Top

Post#93 Re: Woj: Phoenix in talks to acquire Rudy Gay
Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:27 pm by Rubberduck

Again small sample size, post those of atleast two full seasons
Rubberduck
Sophomore
Posts: 192
And1: 5
Joined: Dec 29, 2011
Top

Post#94 Re: Woj: Phoenix in talks to acquire Rudy Gay
Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:30 pm by BubbaTee

DusterBuster wrote:
Golabki wrote:
Bskey wrote:I still have no idea how Gay built up this reputation he seems to have as a star player.

He averaged 20 PPG his second year in the league.

Here's the complete list of guys that have done that in the past 10 years:
LeBron James
Blake Griffin
Dwyane Wade
Kyrie Irving
Kevin Durant
Amare Stoudemire
Derrick Rose
Carmelo Anthony
Rudy Gay

Starting to get it now? Gay isn't bad, but he is probably the worst starter on the grizz. If they can get Dudley + the Pho 1st I'd do it in an instant


All of those guys had better seasons after averaging 20ppg in their 2nd year. All of them except one.... care to take a guess which?


Rookies who averaged 20/5/5
Oscar Robertson
Michael Jordan
Lebron James
Tyreke Evans

BubbaTee
Head Coach
Posts: 6,395
And1: 534
Joined: Mar 10, 2008
Top

Post#95 Re: Woj: Phoenix in talks to acquire Rudy Gay
Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:32 pm by Jodi

BubbaTee wrote:
Jodi wrote:Batum is no where near better than Gay...Both Batum and Gay FG% are similar and Gay PPG is higher and he plays less minutes...


Gay's PPG is higher because he jacks up 17 shots a game.

In addition, Batum has never played a full health season since he's been in the league...


:-?

Batum played 79 games as a rookie and 80 games in 2010-11. Those both look like pretty healthy seasons to me.

Unless the standard for "full health" is playing all 82 - in which case Rudy Gay has never played a full health season either.

Jodi wrote:Why do I need to make an argument when the stats speak for there self?


TS%
Batum 57.3
Gay 48.4

eFG%
Batum 52.3
Gay 43.9

PER
Batum 17.9
Gay 14.9

WS/48
Batum .130
Gay .103

Off-Def Rating
Batum 112-107 (+5)
Gay 99-99 (+0)

Jodi wrote:Why do I need to make an argument when the stats speak for there self?


They certainly do...

Touche' Mr. Tee...
Jodi
Banned User
Posts: 4,520
And1: 52
Joined: Jul 22, 2011
Top

Post#96 Re: Woj: Phoenix in talks to acquire Rudy Gay
Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:33 pm by orange_juice32

huskerdu wrote:Batum is much much much better than Gay. No question.

If Rudy Gay played in the 2011 playoffs, the Grizzlies would have lost that series. Not one GM in this entire league would turn down a Gay for Batum trade. Not one.


Whenever you make a post about the Grizzlies it's always good for a laugh. That series would have ended in 4 if Rudy was available.
orange_juice32
Rookie
User avatar
Posts: 1,102
And1: 163
Joined: Aug 4, 2010
Top

Post#97 Re: Woj: Phoenix in talks to acquire Rudy Gay
Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:34 pm by DusterBuster

Jodi wrote:If Rudy Gay is traded to a team like the Suns, Kings, or any lottery team he would average over 20pts game...The Grizzlies system doesn't fit Rudy that's why he hasn't shown any growth...


This is complete and utter nonsense. The Grizzlies have been BUILDING AROUND GAY since they drafted him! He's had a green light to shoot whatever and whenever he wants since the first time he put on a Grizzlies uniform. Don't give me that "oh he'd average a ton more if he was on some other team" garbage argument. There's zero evidence to prove it.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
DusterBuster


RealGM
User avatar
Posts: 16,209
And1: 1,576
Joined: Jan 31, 2010
Top

Post#98 Re: Woj: Phoenix in talks to acquire Rudy Gay
Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:35 pm by DusterBuster

BubbaTee wrote:
Rookies who averaged 20/5/5
Oscar Robertson
Michael Jordan
Lebron James
Tyreke Evans



My point exactly.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
DusterBuster


RealGM
User avatar
Posts: 16,209
And1: 1,576
Joined: Jan 31, 2010
Top

Post#99 Re: Woj: Phoenix in talks to acquire Rudy Gay
Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:36 pm by Jodi

DusterBuster wrote:
Jodi wrote:If Rudy Gay is traded to a team like the Suns, Kings, or any lottery team he would average over 20pts game...The Grizzlies system doesn't fit Rudy that's why he hasn't shown any growth...


This is complete and utter nonsense. The Grizzlies have been BUILDING AROUND GAY since they drafted him! He's had a green light to shoot whatever and whenever he wants since the first time he put on a Grizzlies uniform. Don't give me that "oh he'd average a ton more if he was on some other team" garbage argument. There's zero evidence to prove it.

Watch the evidence when he's on a new team...Hopefully my Pistons... :wink:
Jodi
Banned User
Posts: 4,520
And1: 52
Joined: Jul 22, 2011
Top

Post#100 Re: Woj: Phoenix in talks to acquire Rudy Gay
Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:47 pm by DetroitSho

BubbaTee wrote:
Jodi wrote:Lets forget the players salaries for a second...I respect your opinion but your crazy if you would take Batum or Pierce over Gay...
Lebron
Durant
Melo
Josh Smith(if you consider him a SF)
Gay
Pierce


Batum wouldn't take 100 more shots than Zach Randolph in 30 games, even though he's only shooting 40%. Rudy Gay is doing that right now.

Batum wouldn't have as many turnovers as he does assists. Rudy Gay is doing that right now.

The Grizz have 2 potent inside weapons, they don't need a SF playing inefficient hero-ball on the perimeter.

I shamefully admit, the Pistons kinda DO need this. At times these guys play hot potato with the ball and don't want to shoot it. If I have to watch Tayshaun pumpfake another wideopen kick out and then pass to someone in a worse shooting position with 2 seconds left on the clock I'm gonna flip. I wouldn't mind someone that ain't afraid to shoot as long as he can reign in some of the bad shots.
DetroitSho
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,850
And1: 414
Joined: Sep 28, 2012
Top

Post#101 Re: Woj: Phoenix in talks to acquire Rudy Gay
Tue Jan 8, 2013 7:06 pm by Blkbrd671

if all there looking for is dudley, detroit offers Tay prince
All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one
Blkbrd671




RealGM
Posts: 13,904
And1: 411
Joined: Oct 5, 2010
Top

Post#102 Re: Woj: Phoenix in talks to acquire Rudy Gay
Tue Jan 8, 2013 7:10 pm by Blkbrd671

DusterBuster wrote:
Jodi wrote:If Rudy Gay is traded to a team like the Suns, Kings, or any lottery team he would average over 20pts game...The Grizzlies system doesn't fit Rudy that's why he hasn't shown any growth...


This is complete and utter nonsense. The Grizzlies have been BUILDING AROUND GAY since they drafted him! He's had a green light to shoot whatever and whenever he wants since the first time he put on a Grizzlies uniform. Don't give me that "oh he'd average a ton more if he was on some other team" garbage argument. There's zero evidence to prove it.

GB meet jodi, Jodi meet the GB
All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one
Blkbrd671




RealGM
Posts: 13,904
And1: 411
Joined: Oct 5, 2010
Top

Post#103 Re: Woj: Phoenix in talks to acquire Rudy Gay
Tue Jan 8, 2013 7:13 pm by The J Rocka

Blkbrd671 wrote:if all there looking for is dudley, detroit offers Tay prince

Dudley is a wayyy better option than Prince.
Image
Sig by C.lupus
The J Rocka


Forum Mod
Forum Mod
User avatar
Posts: 12,722
And1: 1,201
Joined: Jun 26, 2009
Location: Minneapolis
Top

Post#104 Re: Woj: Phoenix in talks to acquire Rudy Gay
Tue Jan 8, 2013 7:19 pm by WhamBamSlamm

Looks like Sarver and Babby/Blanks are seeing the fire sale that is about to come in Milwaukee and wants to make sure their Suns are the top of the list in regards to "threadmill teams" and compete for their beloved 8th seed maybe this year and forever.

Pathetic.
WhamBamSlamm
Freshman
Posts: 92
And1: 1
Joined: Jun 17, 2012
Top

Post#105 Re: Woj: Phoenix in talks to acquire Rudy Gay
Tue Jan 8, 2013 7:19 pm by The Regime

Trade makes a whole lot of sense for the Grizzles. They lose a little wing athleticism but they add a equally, if not better defensive player, and the main thing is they can space the floor a lot better with his three point shooting (which is much needed when you have Z Bo and Gasol occupying so much room in the paint).

Not sure what direction the Suns are going though. He isnt really worth the cap hit. You're basically saying that you're going to build around him if you make the trade. And isn't even close to being an all-star let alone a franchise player.
Kobe on season, "Appreciate it now. Let it sit in now, because revenge is sweet and it’s quick.”
The Regime



General Manager
User avatar
Posts: 9,023
And1: 771
Joined: Feb 3, 2011
Top

Post#106 Re: Woj: Phoenix in talks to acquire Rudy Gay
Tue Jan 8, 2013 7:22 pm by WhamBamSlamm

Simba248 wrote:Trade makes a whole lot of sense for the Grizzles. They lose a little wing athleticism but they add a equally, if not better defensive player, and the main thing is they can space the floor a lot better with his three point shooting (which is much needed when you have Z Bo and Gasol occupying so much room in the paint).

Not sure what direction the Suns are going though. He isnt really worth the cap hit. You're basically saying that you're going to build around him if you make the trade. And isn't even close to being an all-star let alone a franchise player.


8th seed
WhamBamSlamm
Freshman
Posts: 92
And1: 1
Joined: Jun 17, 2012
Top

Post#107 Re: Woj: Phoenix in talks to acquire Rudy Gay
Tue Jan 8, 2013 7:24 pm by The Regime

It's Rudy Gay, not Kevin Durant.
Kobe on season, "Appreciate it now. Let it sit in now, because revenge is sweet and it’s quick.”
The Regime



General Manager
User avatar
Posts: 9,023
And1: 771
Joined: Feb 3, 2011
Top

Post#108 Re: Woj: Phoenix in talks to acquire Rudy Gay
Tue Jan 8, 2013 7:26 pm by WhamBamSlamm

Simba248 wrote:It's Rudy Gay, not Kevin Durant.


that's the point. It's not a superstar the Suns are willing to give up solid assets such as Dudley and picks for, if it were a superstar Suns fans would not be heavily against it. The Suns FO knows that they are on the last year of their deals, and Sarver sees all the empty seats and lack of care given about his team in the Phoenix-area, that he is willing to "make a run at the 8th seed" by getting a good player with a terrible contract just to act like they are doing something for the casuals.

Typical no-direction, threadmill, no hope Suns move...
WhamBamSlamm
Freshman
Posts: 92
And1: 1
Joined: Jun 17, 2012
Top

Post#109 Re: Woj: Phoenix in talks to acquire Rudy Gay
Tue Jan 8, 2013 7:27 pm by sunskerr

sunskerr

Suspended
User avatar
Posts: 3,960
And1: 266
Joined: Feb 19, 2010
Top

Post#110 Re: Woj: Phoenix in talks to acquire Rudy Gay
Tue Jan 8, 2013 7:32 pm by Marvin Martian

Dudley plays lot of minutes on one of the worst defensive teams in the NBA, Gay plays of lot of minutes on THE best defensive team in the NBA.

I'd say Gay is the better defender.
Marvin Martian
Starter
Posts: 2,214
And1: 497
Joined: Aug 13, 2012
Top

PreviousNext

Return to The General Board


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 6rings4LeClutch, abark, allenjerome, Arman_tanzarian, blazersbucs40, bobly, Chocobanana, chuckdevlin, Cutter, DanoMac, Dee1sking, Def Swami, DETermination, Down To Buck, Dukenukem23, dumbell78, Fadeaway_Jumper, fast-break, giberish, GoBobs, HeatFanSince87, Illmatic12, Iplaytolose, J-Ves, Jared_Farver, jaseda510, Jaykoolzboy, JCity723NYK, jeeph, Jhoby, JohnnyNightrain, Jonny Blaze, Joshuan3, jourdy, KD35Brah, KDfan35, Kibago, Kings2013, Kmartshopper, kobeisjordan47, Laker_Lenny, Lazy, Lolaser, Metal, Mr Loggins, Netsultimatefan63, nevetslc, ninetythreepts, No Offense, NOD, otwok, Peregrine01, PISTONS100, Prospect Dong, R-S-M, RapHippy, RaptorNews, ras22_b, Ridicululz, Rupert Murdoch, Shaud, Shuttlesworth34, smith2373, SmoothKobra, Sonny Carson, SOUNDCHASER, StaticRoar, takeapieandrun, teerfour+40LG, The Angry Rican, The Class Act, The High Cyde, TheNewEra, TheUroborosWorm, Trilogy, Tsukou, vi3t, wackywabbit, WADE10BOSH, WaffleRecord, Wall34, zogster