John Wall Has Gotten FAT

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

BIGGIEsmalls 23
Banned User
And1: 810

Re: John Wall Has Gotten FAT 

Post#31 » by BIGGIEsmalls 23 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 1:07 am

DCsOwn wrote:
BIGGIEsmalls 23 wrote:
MeloisMVP wrote:Image

Here's another player below that's been out rehabbing a leg injury like Wall:

It's obvious that one guy has been working, while the other hasn't.

To be fair to John, people can run and do any number of cardio workouts around 4 months afteran acl surgery if I'm not mistaken (it takes longer to be cleared for high impact work like cutting and plyometrics though). So that means Rose has likely been cleared for jogging and track work for months. Wall was just cleared for light impact work a few weeks ago. That's not to say that John should necessarily be in the condition that he's in now (although he'll be fine from a cardio perspective in a few weeks I'd bet), but Rose has definitely been able to do significantly more floor work than John over these last few months.

It should be noted that John's diet has been terrible from day one with the Wizards. He's like Chad Ochocinco in that he eats tons of crap every day, it's just that he's incredibly active throughout the week so the junk food doesnt stick to him like it does to us. It doesn't surprise me that without the freedom to do the type of work that he's known for in DC that he'd pick up weight assuming he didnt make any alterations to his diet.

Rose has been working the entire time, though. I'm not trying to bash Wall, but I really hoped that he was serious about taking his game to another level. Here's Rose below doing the upper-body work that Wall should have also been doing:

nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#32 » by nuposse04 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 1:12 am

BIGGIEsmalls 23 wrote:
DCsOwn wrote:
BIGGIEsmalls 23 wrote:Here's another player below that's been out rehabbing a leg injury like Wall:

It's obvious that one guy has been working, while the other hasn't.

To be fair to John, people can run and do any number of cardio workouts around 4 months afteran acl surgery if I'm not mistaken (it takes longer to be cleared for high impact work like cutting and plyometrics though). So that means Rose has likely been cleared for jogging and track work for months. Wall was just cleared for light impact work a few weeks ago. That's not to say that John should necessarily be in the condition that he's in now (although he'll be fine from a cardio perspective in a few weeks I'd bet), but Rose has definitely been able to do significantly more floor work than John over these last few months.

It should be noted that John's diet has been terrible from day one with the Wizards. He's like Chad Ochocinco in that he eats tons of crap every day, it's just that he's incredibly active throughout the week so the junk food doesnt stick to him like it does to us. It doesn't surprise me that without the freedom to do the type of work that he's known for in DC that he'd pick up weight assuming he didnt make any alterations to his diet.

Rose has been working the entire time, though. I'm not trying to bash Wall, but I really hoped that he was serious about taking his game to another level. Here's Rose below doing the upper-body work that Wall should have also been doing:

I think the excess muscle weight might have played a factor in Wall's knee injury. He's fairly built for a 6'4 pg, once he gets back in shape I'd like to see him lose 4-5 lbs of additional weight from last years playing weight.
BubbaTee
Head Coach
And1: 546

Post#33 » by BubbaTee » Wed Jan 9, 2013 1:15 am

call.me.dude wrote:Losing the fat should be easy. Problem is that he also lost muscle if he really didn't do a whole lot.

edit: I honestly thought he wanted to turn his career around. Not saying he can't or won't but if he was really into it, he would still be in great shape (like Rose).

Yeah, I read an ESPN Magazine interview with him in the preseason where he sounded motivated.

I guess maybe you could make the argument that he got depressed when he found out he'd miss the start of the season, and went all

FlashKing
Banned User
And1: 26

Post#34 » by FlashKing » Wed Jan 9, 2013 1:17 am

Time to bring in the big guns!

crowd goes wild
Junior
And1: 11

Post#35 » by crowd goes wild » Wed Jan 9, 2013 1:29 am

BubbaTee wrote:
LEHGOCELTICS wrote:That looks like a much greater fat gain than 6-7 lbs to me.

Muscle is heavier than fat (edit: by volume), so he could have had muscle turn to fat without gaining weight, then gain 7-lbs of fat on top of that.

STRONG everything
AmazingJason
RealGM
And1: 6,142

Post#36 » by AmazingJason » Wed Jan 9, 2013 1:32 am

Is the 1st pic Wall or Felton? :lol:
BAT 18.0 - MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES

El Poochio - POBO
Amazing Jason - Assistant to the VPOBO

PG: Lonzo Ball/Dennis Smith Jr.
SG: Donovan Mitchell/R. McGruder
SF: Jaylen Brown/Josh Jackson
PF: Jayson Tatum/T. Booker
C: Joel Embiid/McGee
youngthegiant
Head Coach
And1: 5,602

Post#37 » by youngthegiant » Wed Jan 9, 2013 1:40 am

even with those other pictures shown, he definitely doesn't have six-pack anymore. Which is ridiculous.
Apathy
Banned User
And1: 39

Post#38 » by Apathy » Wed Jan 9, 2013 2:00 am

Not necessarily.

When you have an ectomorph body type, and normally have a lower body fat %, you look a lot more bloated and out of shape when you gain a few pounds more than you should have. Particularly if it's all bad weight gain, like eating junk food.

But the flipside is that with 4-6 weeks of focus on strength, conditioning and flexibility, as well as diet, you will lose it almost as quickly as you gained it.

That's why you see a lot of basketball players show up out of shape. They oscillate between being extremely health-conscious and, when they have downtime, pigging out. But their body is used to exercising, and responds very quickly to rigorous workouts.

The bigger problem with something like that is it hints that Wall is a bit of a mental midget, which, of course, is the knock.
M4P
Analyst
And1: 1,640

Post#39 » by M4P » Wed Jan 9, 2013 2:05 am

BubbaTee wrote:

Muscle is heavier than fat (edit: by volume), so he could have had muscle turn to fat without gaining weight, then gain 7-lbs of fat on top of that.
Muscle and fat are two different things... one doesn't become the other.
HoopsMalone wrote:Shaq would still have value... But to think he'd be anywhere near as dominant as he was in the post era is just ridiculous

jahlil okafor has some of the best post moves in the last 30 years and the dude can't even get on the floor
darth_federer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 922

Post#40 » by darth_federer » Wed Jan 9, 2013 2:08 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M957dACQyfU[/youtube]

Profanity wrote:This is why I question a Canadian team in our league. it's a govt conspiracy trina to sell all our milk to Russia. They let the raptors participate to not let canadians demand crossing taxes. it will backfire one day.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#41 » by sipclip » Wed Jan 9, 2013 2:43 am

He may have only gained 7 pounds but it is likely that he has gained 20 pounds up top and lost 13 pounds from his lower body. That is a huge amount to gain for a professional athlete that should be on a world class nutrition program.
bledredwine
RealGM
And1: 3,830

Post#42 » by bledredwine » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:00 am

Well, in that shape he'll just be playing like Derrick Rose.

Cause well, RealGM taught me that Derrick Rose is John Wall's floor.
https://undisputedgoat.medium.com/jordan-in-the-clutch-30f6e7ed4c43
LBJ clutch- 19 of 104 career: https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/lebron_james_has_only_made_19_of_107_shots_in_clutch_situation_during_his_career_178_fg_125_from_3_pointers/s1_16751_38344895
BarnabyJones
Sixth Man
And1: 292

Post#43 » by BarnabyJones » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:06 am

bledredwine wrote:Well, in that shape he'll just be playing like Derrick Rose.

Really? When was that?
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”― Mark Twain
22haytham22
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,265

Post#44 » by 22haytham22 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:09 am

Wow...

TreadMilling Since 1995

Darain wrote:Dude is like 6-10, 6-12 at the most
But he is definitely not 7 foot
22haytham22
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,265

Post#45 » by 22haytham22 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:10 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWmoSttOm_A[/youtube]

You can clearly see how much slimmer he is here

TreadMilling Since 1995

Darain wrote:Dude is like 6-10, 6-12 at the most
But he is definitely not 7 foot
TheToothFairy
Banned User
And1: 297

Post#46 » by TheToothFairy » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:14 am

I don't know when that picture was taken but that's not good for a franchise player
bledredwine
RealGM
And1: 3,830

Post#47 » by bledredwine » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:20 am

BarnabyJones wrote:
bledredwine wrote:Well, in that shape he'll just be playing like Derrick Rose.

Really? When was that?

Wall's rookie season, before draft as well.
https://undisputedgoat.medium.com/jordan-in-the-clutch-30f6e7ed4c43
LBJ clutch- 19 of 104 career: https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/lebron_james_has_only_made_19_of_107_shots_in_clutch_situation_during_his_career_178_fg_125_from_3_pointers/s1_16751_38344895
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,243

Post#48 » by Clyde Frazier » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:57 am

Yeah that pic isn't pixelated or anything.
Iplaytolose
Sixth Man
And1: 227

Post#49 » by Iplaytolose » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:08 am

He'll lose that in no time. Athletes that get hurt naturally gain weight, but they lose it quickly because of muscle memory. Another example of muscle memory is MMA. A lot of fighters bloat up when they're not fighting, but they can go back to being ripped in within a few months because of muscle memory.
Dear Leader
Banned User
And1: 381

Post#50 » by Dear Leader » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:09 am

BodieB wrote:So he gained 6-7 pounds and couldn't lift? He definitely shouldn't be that pudgy.

Basketball players eat a ton of food while going through high-level physical activities everyday.

You simply don't cut off your eating habits the moment you got injured. So imagine them eating a lot while not doing anything. This is why boxers gain a lot of weight as well.

Return to The General Board