Grizzlies looking to blow it up?

Moderators: Morten Jensen, Flash3, magnumt, Blame Rasho, tsherkin, Knickstape1214, Yuri Vaultin, NO-KG-AI

JBautista
Sophomore
Posts: 121
And1: 23
Joined: Apr 25, 2012

Grizzlies looking to blow it up? 

Post#1 » by JBautista » Wed Jan 9, 2013 1:53 am

There has been rumours that the Grizzlies are exploring trades with both Rudy Gay and Zach Randolph. The Grizzlies are sitting in a pretty comfortable position out in the deep west, so why blow it up? I can see that Randolph is aging, and Gay is overpaid, but they are still playing at a good level and the team's chemistry is at it's best. They look like contenders as of now, and it seems like they are only thinking about the future and not the possibility of winning a championship this year. What do you guys think, and what do you think would be best for the franchise?
User avatar
NickAnderson
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,483
And1: 783
Joined: Jul 11, 2009
Location: Club Space
     

Re: Grizzlies looking to blow it up? 

Post#2 » by NickAnderson » Wed Jan 9, 2013 1:59 am

I really don't see why they want to.
Technooo....
User avatar
Mamba Venom
RealGM
Posts: 17,968
And1: 577
Joined: Sep 07, 2005
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Grizzlies looking to blow it up? 

Post#3 » by Mamba Venom » Wed Jan 9, 2013 2:23 am

Mathematically it just makes sense to blow it up. E=MC trade. zoingan. zonkin. zoy HollingeriNk
Lakers are 22-3 in OT last 6 seasons:Kobe best OT closer!
User avatar
DusterBuster
RealGM
Posts: 17,034
And1: 2,078
Joined: Jan 31, 2010
Location: Brisbane, Australia
     

Re: Grizzlies looking to blow it up? 

Post#4 » by DusterBuster » Wed Jan 9, 2013 2:25 am

Mamba Venom wrote:Mathematically it just makes sense to blow it up. E=MC trade. zoingan. zonkin. zoy HollingeriNk


I think Memba Venom may be having a stroke.......
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
User avatar
Nobymoby
Starter
Posts: 2,034
And1: 209
Joined: Oct 25, 2010

Re: Grizzlies looking to blow it up? 

Post#5 » by Nobymoby » Wed Jan 9, 2013 2:26 am

League informed them that they have to free up a playoff spot for the lakers.
User avatar
DusterBuster
RealGM
Posts: 17,034
And1: 2,078
Joined: Jan 31, 2010
Location: Brisbane, Australia
     

Re: Grizzlies looking to blow it up? 

Post#6 » by DusterBuster » Wed Jan 9, 2013 2:28 am

Nobymoby wrote:League informed them that they have to free up a playoff spot for the lakers.


Basketball reasons.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
User avatar
funkatron101
General Manager
Posts: 7,509
And1: 819
Joined: Jan 02, 2008
Location: St. Paul

Re: Grizzlies looking to blow it up? 

Post#7 » by funkatron101 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 2:28 am

4th seed...22-10...yep, blow it up. These rumors are bizarre.
Lattimer wrote:Cracks me up that people still think that Wiggins will be involved in the trade for Love. Wolves are out of their mind if they think they are getting Wiggins for Love.
JBautista
Sophomore
Posts: 121
And1: 23
Joined: Apr 25, 2012

Re: Grizzlies looking to blow it up? 

Post#8 » by JBautista » Wed Jan 9, 2013 2:31 am

I guess trading a player away such as Gay for solid pieces work, but why trade two players away. It doesn't make sense cause it doesn't look like they wanna rebuild anytime soon ..
User avatar
DusterBuster
RealGM
Posts: 17,034
And1: 2,078
Joined: Jan 31, 2010
Location: Brisbane, Australia
     

Re: Grizzlies looking to blow it up? 

Post#9 » by DusterBuster » Wed Jan 9, 2013 2:32 am

It's possible they're just exploring things and it's not as serious as it's being reported.

I do think they can afford to shed one of Randolph or Gay and not slip too far though.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
User avatar
panthermark
RealGM
Posts: 17,767
And1: 1,474
Joined: Mar 15, 2010
Location: Undisclosed: MJ's shadow could be lurking....
         

Re: Grizzlies looking to blow it up? 

Post#10 » by panthermark » Wed Jan 9, 2013 2:32 am

DusterBuster wrote:
Nobymoby wrote:League informed them that they have to free up a playoff spot for the lakers.


Basketball reasons.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jealousy is a sickness.......get well soon....
User avatar
LarsV8
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,805
And1: 533
Joined: Dec 13, 2009
       

Re: Grizzlies looking to blow it up? 

Post#11 » by LarsV8 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 2:39 am

They aren't trying to blow it up, they are desperately trying to get under the tax.

In order to do so, one of Connely, Gay, Gasol or Zbo has to go.

If they can't find takers for Zbo or Gay, expect Gasol rumors to pop up next.
Image
jefe
General Manager
Posts: 7,533
And1: 152
Joined: Apr 27, 2005
Location: memphis

Re: Grizzlies looking to blow it up? 

Post#12 » by jefe » Wed Jan 9, 2013 2:46 am

If it happens, it's one or the other to get out of the luxury tax. Read Tillery's article, sheesh.
jefe
General Manager
Posts: 7,533
And1: 152
Joined: Apr 27, 2005
Location: memphis

Re: Grizzlies looking to blow it up? 

Post#13 » by jefe » Wed Jan 9, 2013 2:47 am

JBautista wrote:I guess trading a player away such as Gay for solid pieces work, but why trade two players away. It doesn't make sense cause it doesn't look like they wanna rebuild anytime soon ..


It doesn't make any sense: that's why no one has said it except for the OP.
User avatar
Han Solo
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,735
And1: 1,980
Joined: Jan 07, 2011
Contact:
     

Re: Grizzlies looking to blow it up? 

Post#14 » by Han Solo » Wed Jan 9, 2013 2:50 am

Luxury tax. Good franchises would never do this with a 22-10 record..
Image
props to r0cd0gg
User avatar
DusterBuster
RealGM
Posts: 17,034
And1: 2,078
Joined: Jan 31, 2010
Location: Brisbane, Australia
     

Re: Grizzlies looking to blow it up? 

Post#15 » by DusterBuster » Wed Jan 9, 2013 2:52 am

LarsV8 wrote:They aren't trying to blow it up, they are desperately trying to get under the tax.

In order to do so, one of Connely, Gay, Gasol or Zbo has to go.

If they can't find takers for Zbo or Gay, expect Gasol rumors to pop up next.


What I find strange is that if they're desperate to get under the tax, there are easier ways to do that. The Luxury Tax threshold is 70 mil, they are at 74 mil. It seems strange that they can't find a way to cut salary in other ways.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
jefe
General Manager
Posts: 7,533
And1: 152
Joined: Apr 27, 2005
Location: memphis

Re: Grizzlies looking to blow it up? 

Post#16 » by jefe » Wed Jan 9, 2013 2:57 am

DusterBuster wrote:
LarsV8 wrote:They aren't trying to blow it up, they are desperately trying to get under the tax.

In order to do so, one of Connely, Gay, Gasol or Zbo has to go.

If they can't find takers for Zbo or Gay, expect Gasol rumors to pop up next.


What I find strange is that if they're desperate to get under the tax, there are easier ways to do that. The Luxury Tax threshold is 70 mil, they are at 74 mil. It seems strange that they can't find a way to cut salary in other ways.


If you rule out trading Zbo and Gay, then it's pretty tough to cut 4 million in salary with a league minimum roster of 13 players without looking to Gasol or Conley. Rightly so, Gasol and Conley are off the table IMO, leaving one of Zbo or Gay.
User avatar
commadoor 64
Starter
Posts: 2,298
And1: 25
Joined: Jan 30, 2007

Re: Grizzlies looking to blow it up? 

Post#17 » by commadoor 64 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:07 am

Exploring options is not the same as desperately blowing up.


Grizz are 4mil over the luxtax. That rises next year so new owners are gauging interest and exploring options.

In the past, old owner loved doing quiet, outta the blue trades and changes. New owners are being more transparent and just have new and different ideas about the franchise.

The reason for this is simply the new owners don't want to pay the old owners luxtax.
User avatar
LarsV8
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,805
And1: 533
Joined: Dec 13, 2009
       

Re: Grizzlies looking to blow it up? 

Post#18 » by LarsV8 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:39 am

DusterBuster wrote:
What I find strange is that if they're desperate to get under the tax, there are easier ways to do that. The Luxury Tax threshold is 70 mil, they are at 74 mil. It seems strange that they can't find a way to cut salary in other ways.


Outline an easier way for them to get under the tax.

They would have to straight DUMP two players on other teams. Thats not as easy to do.
Image
User avatar
jamesnamida
Analyst
Posts: 3,466
And1: 1,203
Joined: Mar 05, 2011

Re: Grizzlies looking to blow it up? 

Post#19 » by jamesnamida » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:48 am

but why trade now?
wont the penalty only be 8 million next year?
since they are 4 over.
sure it increases after that, but why now?
they should trade gay and play inside out, but still, weird they are exploring zach.
User avatar
ClayDavis
Head Coach
Posts: 6,720
And1: 104
Joined: Jan 23, 2012

Re: Grizzlies looking to blow it up? 

Post#20 » by ClayDavis » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:55 am

jamesnamida wrote:but why trade now?
wont the penalty only be 8 million next year?
since they are 4 over.
sure it increases after that, but why now?
they should trade gay and play inside out, but still, weird they are exploring zach.


their ownership views it one way. if they think they can win it all pay the tax if no, no thank you.
Image

Return to The General Board