Grizzlies looking to blow it up?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Beardman
Veteran
And1: 181

Re: Grizzlies looking to blow it up? 

Post#41 » by Beardman » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:45 pm

I'll take Tony Allen.
Left Side Drive
Head Coach
And1: 4,143

Post#42 » by Left Side Drive » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:08 pm

Calderon would be nice for the Grizzlies then. Hope you guys don't mind your PG clashing for minutes. Calderon has already defeated Ford, Jack and is fighting Lowry for the starting spot due to Kyle's injuries.
Looking for a new signature. Currently, still evaluating.
commadoor 64
Starter
And1: 26

Post#43 » by commadoor 64 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 6:20 pm

Grizzlies front office.....
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPy_fNDZesk[/youtube]
Greg Stink
Starter
And1: 13

Post#44 » by Greg Stink » Wed Jan 9, 2013 6:29 pm

They just don't need what Gay does with ZBo and Gasol healthy. A weakside player making much less makes more sense for them, and there are plenty out there. It's not tanking. They're not dumping ZBo, just answering the phone.
mid-post
Analyst
And1: 70

Post#45 » by mid-post » Wed Jan 9, 2013 6:35 pm

Cliff Levingston wrote:Isn't it known that Randolph and Gay don't get along? Makes sense to get rid of one of them.

Where are you getting this?
mid-post
Analyst

Post#46 » by mid-post » Wed Jan 9, 2013 6:40 pm

teamgrizz wrote:Putting Calderon on the floor at the end of games to help make decisions would be better for this team now.

Grizz LIES
Sophomore
And1: 18

Post#47 » by Grizz LIES » Wed Jan 9, 2013 7:01 pm

mid-post wrote:
teamgrizz wrote:Putting Calderon on the floor at the end of games to help make decisions would be better for this team now.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Man, you should hear some of the stuff that we Grizz fans say...

"GIVE ME VON WAFER AND WE CONTEND."

--- seriously, though ---

Man, straight up.

ANY deal for Rudy Gay is a good deal for the Grizzlies.
Their priority should be in this order:
1) Trade him for WHATEVER
2) Get SOMETHING decent for him
If the Grizz happen to get something good out of the deal, then that's just icing on the cake.

17.8 points a night on 17 shots is the definition of NOT getting buckets.
tyguy
Pro Prospect
And1: 660

Post#48 » by tyguy » Wed Jan 9, 2013 7:27 pm

I don't think they view Gay as a difference maker on the court. They have had quite a lot of success when he was injured. He makes a lot of money and doesn't put up the greatest stats in the world. I think it is absolutely the right move to shop him.
teamgrizz
Junior
And1: 17

Post#49 » by teamgrizz » Wed Jan 9, 2013 7:56 pm

Its funny you put that little .gif up there mid-post, because the Grizzlies don't have anyone that can handle the ball and make legit plays late in the 4th quarter. That's why RUdy always ends up with the ball in his hands 30 feet out and that's not his strength.

Conley manages the game pretty well, but he's not someone that makes the game winning play for you. He would be better used as a spot up shooter in those situations.

Calderon can make a play when it counts. He's great in the pick n roll, can knock down 3 point shot, high bball IQ, create his own shot and makes smart decisions. That's something Memphis is missing at the end of games when the play is broken and you have Conley not knowing where to go and Rudy dribbling the ball of his foot or turning it over.

I don't think there are many guys out there right now that can run a halfcourt offense as efficient as Calderon.
mid-post
Analyst

Post#50 » by mid-post » Wed Jan 9, 2013 8:44 pm

I don't care about how good he is in the pick and roll, he doesn't fit with the pieces we have or what we're trying to do with this team. He's small and he's not a good defender. That's a recipe for disaster for this team unless they started playing a completely different style of basketball altogether.

BTW, you wouldn't happen to be one of the many Spanish Grizzly fans out there would you? :wink:

The Grizzlies would have to be very very very stupid to make any kind of major moves before the end of the season considering where they stand right now. You don't rebuild after having your core healthy and in place for exactly zero playoff series.
mid-post
Analyst

Post#51 » by mid-post » Wed Jan 9, 2013 8:50 pm

Grizz LIES wrote:
If the Grizz happen to get something good out of the deal, then that's just icing on the cake.

Yeah, I agree with you, but that move's got to be made after the season assuming they fail pretty hard. It would be stupid to sell low on Rudy and then try to retool our offense in the middle of the season (which is what we would be doing regardless of what people think Rudy's role in Memphis is). His value cannot drop any lower than it is right now because he becomes a valuable expiring contract very soon.

If Memphis trades Rudy for junk in the middle of the season, that to me would indicate Hollinger (or ownership) is completely incompetent and not at all committed to putting out a solid product. And if they fail after making such a move in the middle of the season (get significantly worse), I will rail against Hollinger until my dying breath. I would also be forced to hate the new ownership until they actually put another team that's worth a damn out on the floor, which would probably be a decade down the road based on the franchise's history.

I think (hope) what they're trying to do is establish his minimum value at this point, because that's where we stand right now.
Danchan
Banned User
And1: 3,250

Post#52 » by Danchan » Wed Jan 9, 2013 9:07 pm

teamgrizz wrote:Its funny you put that little .gif up there mid-post, because the Grizzlies don't have anyone that can handle the ball and make legit plays late in the 4th quarter. That's why RUdy always ends up with the ball in his hands 30 feet out and that's not his strength.

Conley manages the game pretty well, but he's not someone that makes the game winning play for you. He would be better used as a spot up shooter in those situations.

Calderon can make a play when it counts. He's great in the pick n roll, can knock down 3 point shot, high bball IQ, create his own shot and makes smart decisions. That's something Memphis is missing at the end of games when the play is broken and you have Conley not knowing where to go and Rudy dribbling the ball of his foot or turning it over.

I don't think there are many guys out there right now that can run a halfcourt offense as efficient as Calderon.

I love calderon, but he doesn't really make plays, nor when it counts. Calderon will dribble behind the 3 point line for about 18 seconds until a player runs off a screen and presents himself with a shot. Calderon cannot drive past anyone anymore.
Ice Trae
RealGM
And1: 10,885

Post#53 » by Ice Trae » Wed Jan 9, 2013 9:13 pm

If they do give ATL Wroten.
Moose10Fan
Veteran
And1: 2,551

Post#54 » by Moose10Fan » Wed Jan 9, 2013 9:20 pm

To me it just seems like the Grizz feel they don’t need Gay to be a great team. Running things through Conley, Gasol and Z-bo could be enough. Gay takes alot of wild shots and maybe they feel if they can get a shooter or 2 in a deal thats all they need.
Grizz LIES
Sophomore

Post#55 » by Grizz LIES » Wed Jan 9, 2013 9:28 pm

mid-post wrote:
Grizz LIES wrote:

Yeah, I agree with you, but that move's got to be made after the season assuming they fail pretty hard. It would be stupid to sell low on Rudy and then try to retool our offense in the middle of the season (which is what we would be doing regardless of what people think Rudy's role in Memphis is). His value cannot drop any lower than it is right now because he becomes a valuable expiring contract very soon.

If Memphis trades Rudy for junk in the middle of the season, that to me would indicate Hollinger (or ownership) is completely incompetent and not at all committed to putting out a solid product. And if they fail after making such a move in the middle of the season (get significantly worse), I will rail against Hollinger until my dying breath. I would also be forced to hate the new ownership until they actually put another team that's worth a damn out on the floor, which would probably be a decade down the road based on the franchise's history.

I think (hope) what they're trying to do is establish his minimum value at this point, because that's where we stand right now.

I hear that and do appreciate what you're saying, but moving Rudy is inevitable. Like, it's going to happen so they might as well do it while they CAN get SOMETHING for him, you know? I just don't see why another post-season run of Rudy getting blown by is necessary to determine whether or not he should be moved. After watching Caron Butler, who was clearly not 100% with an injured dominant hand, just tear Rudy up... I'm sorry, I WANT to believe in Rudy. I have been to every home game that he's played in. I really cheer for him and WANT him to break through, but the chances of it actually happening are slim to none. Like, seriously, with Jared Dudley alone we would be better, just because we could space the floor --- not saying that Dudley is a better one-on-one player or anything like that, but I'm saying when we had guys like Battier - who had to be respected behind the arc - our low post players were so much more effective. And if I have to choose which of the core's contract I'm shedding, it's Rudy - without question. I do hear what you're saying, not trying to just say Rudy is a bum, because I do joke around about that a lot, but he just does NOT fit in with this team.
mid-post
Analyst

Post#56 » by mid-post » Wed Jan 9, 2013 9:47 pm

Yeah, maybe moving him is inevitable, but it would still be stupid to do it before the playoffs. We didn't lose because of Rudy's defense, we lost because Randolph was not even close to 100% in that series. Give them one series when they're all together and healthy.
commadoor 64
Starter
And1: 26

Post#57 » by commadoor 64 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 9:52 pm

Grizz LIES wrote:
mid-post wrote:
Grizz LIES wrote:

I hear that and do appreciate what you're saying, but moving Rudy is inevitable. Like, it's going to happen so they might as well do it while they CAN get SOMETHING for him, you know? I just don't see why another post-season run of Rudy getting blown by is necessary to determine whether or not he should be moved. After watching Caron Butler, who was clearly not 100% with an injured dominant hand, just tear Rudy up... I'm sorry, I WANT to believe in Rudy. I have been to every home game that he's played in. I really cheer for him and WANT him to break through, but the chances of it actually happening are slim to none. Like, seriously, with Jared Dudley alone we would be better, just because we could space the floor --- not saying that Dudley is a better one-on-one player or anything like that, but I'm saying when we had guys like Battier - who had to be respected behind the arc - our low post players were so much more effective. And if I have to choose which of the core's contract I'm shedding, it's Rudy - without question. I do hear what you're saying, not trying to just say Rudy is a bum, because I do joke around about that a lot, but he just does NOT fit in with this team.

No disrespect but, how often do you watch the Grizz?

I understand other teams fans bagging on Gay but as an actual fan you should know just how often Rudy gets the ball with less than 5secs on the clock, 30 feet from the basket, after a broken offensive play with no other option to take whatever shot he has left, good or bad, contested, not set ... just shoot with no time left.

i know, i know ... not a great ball-handler, does take ill-advised shots for no reason sometimes (heat checks), does seem to coast at times, contract too big.....

But acting like he has NO value ... is a bit much.

Besides .... this is the longest stretch that our core has played together .... ever, since being assembled 3yrs ago.

22-10 is the result.
5th best record in the league.

At least let's make the playoffs this year .... depending on how far we can manage to go .... both Zbo and Rudy can increase their value immensely with a solid playoff run and we will finally know what this team has been building for the last several years.
Grizz LIES
Sophomore

Post#58 » by Grizz LIES » Wed Jan 9, 2013 10:20 pm

Every home game since they've been in Memphis and I watch every road game. Look, man, Grizz need to stop lying to themselves. We're a first round exit as things stand.
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 19,188

Post#59 » by Mamba Mentality » Wed Jan 9, 2013 10:51 pm

Shipping out Rudy Gay for a guy like Jared Dudley makes sense. On top of resolving cap issues they add a equally if not better defensive player, and the main thing is they can space the floor a lot better with his three point shooting.

Trading Z Bo doesn't make sense though because they're basically giving up their identity (physical, paint oriented offense). I doubt they'll get anyone of equal talent. Team is playing good basketball thus far, you gotta let the season play out before considering getting rid of Z Bo.
teamgrizz
Junior
And1: 17

Post#60 » by teamgrizz » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:34 am

mid-post wrote:I don't care about how good he is in the pick and roll, he doesn't fit with the pieces we have or what we're trying to do with this team. He's small and he's not a good defender. That's a recipe for disaster for this team unless they started playing a completely different style of basketball altogether.

BTW, you wouldn't happen to be one of the many Spanish Grizzly fans out there would you? :wink:

The Grizzlies would have to be very very very stupid to make any kind of major moves before the end of the season considering where they stand right now. You don't rebuild after having your core healthy and in place for exactly zero playoff series.

Who said everybody on the team has to be a great defender anyway? Defense is all about effort. Calderon would probably play better defense in Memphis, since it would be required of him from Lionel. Jared Dudley sure isn't some great defender.

I've been watching this team since the move to Memphis in 2001. What do you think this team needs if its not a playmaker? That little inside-out game people preach about all the time will not work if you don't have anyone capable of putting the ball on the floor and keeping the defense honest. The reason why we have such a hard time closing out games is due to execution. We don't have a true decision maker down the stretch. Like I said, Conley is good for the most part, but the decision making down the stretch is not the best. Factor in that you have a coach that's not too great at calling plays and your top 3 players can't put the ball on the floor for more than two dribbles.

But, I agree with you. I do want to keep the team together til the end of the season. That's why its stupid in the first place to make a move. If you was going to move Rudy, you do it last offseason or wait til next offseason.

People can look at what happened two years ago and act like this team will be fine with Conley/Dudley being their 3rd/4th best player. But, people forget that OJ was actually our 3rd best player on that 2011 team when Rudy went down, Conley was our 4th and then you had TA and Battier. Factor in that ZBO has only shown ONE time since returning from injury that he can completely dominate and takeover a game down the stretch (the Phoenix game from where he 38 and 22).

Return to The General Board