basketball IQ is a made up stat.

Moderators: Morten Jensen, Flash3, magnumt, Blame Rasho, tsherkin, Knickstape1214, Yuri Vaultin, NO-KG-AI

User avatar
sprint2thecup
Pro Prospect
Posts: 801
And1: 52
Joined: May 28, 2012

basketball IQ is a made up stat. 

Post#1 » by sprint2thecup » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:45 am

"basketball IQ" is a made up stat. there's no such thing. there's only "IQ". all other sorts of equations like "sex IQ" or "basketball IQ" are completely made up.

there's no examination that produces a quotient for basketball intelligence, thus there is no such thing as basketball IQ.
real gm logic;
"kobe scored 48 points tonight"
"^small sample size"
peja drobnjak
Starter
Posts: 2,485
And1: 42
Joined: Dec 03, 2011

Re: basketball IQ is a made up stat. 

Post#2 » by peja drobnjak » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:48 am

lebron's basketball iq far outstrips his regular iq and he's a pretty smart cat

but you're right i guess i would prefer if they just called them smart or perceptive when they make a good play instead of saying specifically 'basketball' iq
Image Turbo Zone
User avatar
Ito
General Manager
Posts: 7,869
And1: 8
Joined: Apr 13, 2002
Location: UPTOWN, NY

Re: basketball IQ is a made up stat. 

Post#3 » by Ito » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:49 am

:lol:
Image
User avatar
sprint2thecup
Pro Prospect
Posts: 801
And1: 52
Joined: May 28, 2012

Re: basketball IQ is a made up stat. 

Post#4 » by sprint2thecup » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:49 am

peja drobnjak wrote:lebron's basketball iq far outstrips his regular iq and he's a pretty smart cat


so what's his basketball IQ? give me the number.
real gm logic;
"kobe scored 48 points tonight"
"^small sample size"
jstnw89
Starter
Posts: 2,027
And1: 159
Joined: Jul 13, 2010
   

Re: basketball IQ is a made up stat. 

Post#5 » by jstnw89 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:50 am

How can it be a made up stat? It's not even a stat because it's not quantifiable.
fresko024 wrote:LOL u mad because Knicks are logical fans.

Image
User avatar
Ignitowsky
Head Coach
Posts: 7,437
And1: 1,034
Joined: Oct 16, 2005

Re: basketball IQ is a made up stat. 

Post#6 » by Ignitowsky » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:50 am

Anthony Randolph=developmentally disabled

Jason Kidd=Einstein

Saying BB IQ is just another way of subjectively talking about how smart you think a player is.
S'all good man.
Guy986
RealGM
Posts: 17,756
And1: 628
Joined: Oct 09, 2005
Location: BBG Nation unite!

Re: basketball IQ is a made up stat. 

Post#7 » by Guy986 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:50 am

peja drobnjak wrote:lebron's basketball iq far outstrips his regular iq and he's a pretty smart cat


Someone like Jeremy Lin probably has double the general "IQ" of Lebron. But very few people would say Lin has the higher BBIQ. Its two completely different things.
nyhuskyfan
Senior
Posts: 666
And1: 126
Joined: Jul 06, 2007

Re: basketball IQ is a made up stat. 

Post#8 » by nyhuskyfan » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:51 am

Nobody has ever used it as a stat. If someone one day says something like "his basketball IQ is 124.6", you'll have a point.
User avatar
sprint2thecup
Pro Prospect
Posts: 801
And1: 52
Joined: May 28, 2012

Re: basketball IQ is a made up stat. 

Post#9 » by sprint2thecup » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:52 am

jstnw89 wrote:How can it be a made up stat? It's not even a stat because it's not quantifiable.


that's exactly my point.

Intelligence Quotient (IQ) IS quantifiable. there is an examination that produces a quotient such as 98 or 112. if you cannot get that quotient, then it's NOT an IQ.

IQ has a correlating number, always.
real gm logic;
"kobe scored 48 points tonight"
"^small sample size"
User avatar
ClayDavis
Head Coach
Posts: 6,720
And1: 104
Joined: Jan 23, 2012

Re: basketball IQ is a made up stat. 

Post#10 » by ClayDavis » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:52 am

what about barkley. he is borderline stupid but on the court basketball iq was good.
Image
imchillin
Banned User
Posts: 1,974
And1: 28
Joined: May 01, 2012

Re: basketball IQ is a made up stat. 

Post#11 » by imchillin » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:52 am

Ignitowsky wrote:Anthony Randolph=developmentally disabled

Jason Kidd=Einstein

Saying BB IQ is just another way of subjectively talking about how smart you think a player is.

It not made up. I know DUMB people who can ball. See lanes, see openings, make the right pass and the right time. Genius on the court. Dumb in class. It's absolutely not made up
User avatar
sprint2thecup
Pro Prospect
Posts: 801
And1: 52
Joined: May 28, 2012

Re: basketball IQ is a made up stat. 

Post#12 » by sprint2thecup » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:53 am

when people say "basketball IQ" they mean "basketball intelligence.".

the Q stands for quotient. a quotient is a number.
real gm logic;
"kobe scored 48 points tonight"
"^small sample size"
Inigo_Montoya
Pro Prospect
Posts: 865
And1: 42
Joined: Jun 07, 2012
Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: basketball IQ is a made up stat. 

Post#13 » by Inigo_Montoya » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:53 am

Epic straw man
User avatar
sprint2thecup
Pro Prospect
Posts: 801
And1: 52
Joined: May 28, 2012

Re: basketball IQ is a made up stat. 

Post#14 » by sprint2thecup » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:53 am

imchillin wrote:
Ignitowsky wrote:Anthony Randolph=developmentally disabled

Jason Kidd=Einstein

Saying BB IQ is just another way of subjectively talking about how smart you think a player is.

It not made up. I know DUMB people who can ball. See lanes, see openings, make the right pass and the right time. Genius on the court. Dumb in class. It's absolutely not made up


then what examination gives us the quotient? show me how the quotient in basketball IQ is configured.
real gm logic;
"kobe scored 48 points tonight"
"^small sample size"
peja drobnjak
Starter
Posts: 2,485
And1: 42
Joined: Dec 03, 2011

Re: basketball IQ is a made up stat. 

Post#15 » by peja drobnjak » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:54 am

sprint2thecup wrote:then what examination gives us the quotient? show me how the quotient in basketball IQ is configured.


hint: when you call something made up, you're calling it subjective. nobody ever thought bbiq was a stat

this whole things a tautology
Image Turbo Zone
User avatar
sprint2thecup
Pro Prospect
Posts: 801
And1: 52
Joined: May 28, 2012

Re: basketball IQ is a made up stat. 

Post#16 » by sprint2thecup » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:55 am

ClayDavis wrote:what about barkley. he is borderline stupid but on the court basketball iq was good.


you mean his basketball intelligence.

what's his basketball IQ? give me the quotient. nobody has answered this yet.
real gm logic;
"kobe scored 48 points tonight"
"^small sample size"
peja drobnjak
Starter
Posts: 2,485
And1: 42
Joined: Dec 03, 2011

Re: basketball IQ is a made up stat. 

Post#17 » by peja drobnjak » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:56 am

this reminds me of kswn-men or whoever that crazy euro poster was
Image Turbo Zone
nyhuskyfan
Senior
Posts: 666
And1: 126
Joined: Jul 06, 2007

Re: basketball IQ is a made up stat. 

Post#18 » by nyhuskyfan » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:56 am

It's a colloquial term. It isn't math. Nobody has ever pretended it was math.

Why do they talk about "wingspan". That's not biologically accurate. Nobody is playing with feathers.
jstnw89
Starter
Posts: 2,027
And1: 159
Joined: Jul 13, 2010
   

Re: basketball IQ is a made up stat. 

Post#19 » by jstnw89 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:57 am

sprint2thecup wrote:
jstnw89 wrote:How can it be a made up stat? It's not even a stat because it's not quantifiable.


that's exactly my point.

Intelligence Quotient (IQ) IS quantifiable. there is an examination that produces a quotient such as 98 or 112. if you cannot get that quotient, then it's NOT an IQ.

IQ has a correlating number, always.
Sorry I suck at communicating :D .. Yes we agree, but what I meant was that most people use it as a quality and not a quantity regardless of what "IQ" actually means. Since most people use it as a quality and not a number/mathematical measure of actual intelligence, no one really made up any stat.
fresko024 wrote:LOL u mad because Knicks are logical fans.

Image
imchillin
Banned User
Posts: 1,974
And1: 28
Joined: May 01, 2012

Re: basketball IQ is a made up stat. 

Post#20 » by imchillin » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:57 am

sprint2thecup wrote:
imchillin wrote:
Ignitowsky wrote:Anthony Randolph=developmentally disabled

Jason Kidd=Einstein

Saying BB IQ is just another way of subjectively talking about how smart you think a player is.

It not made up. I know DUMB people who can ball. See lanes, see openings, make the right pass and the right time. Genius on the court. Dumb in class. It's absolutely not made up


then what examination gives us the quotient? show me how the quotient in basketball IQ is configured.


A test would have to be created to measure it real time on the basketball court. Similar to the skills test they do at all star. High ball iq guys will do better. And it's because they gave a keen sense for the game that is more than athleticism. It's an instinct. Just because we haven't devised a way to examine it means it doesn't exist. Just not yet. In fact the exam is the game. If we gave points for smart plays, Kidd would be off the chart, Lebron too

Return to The General Board