yardbarker

NCAA Wiretap Headlines

basketball IQ is a made up stat.

Moderators: Morten Jensen, Blame Rasho, Flash3, Doctor MJ, UGA Hayes, Yuri Vaultin, Mark K, NO-KG-AI, magnumt, tsherkin

Post#31 Re: basketball IQ is a made up stat.
Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:07 am by sprint2thecup

eablinksum wrote:99% of statistics are made up.


nice.
real gm logic;
"kobe scored 48 points tonight"
"^small sample size"
sprint2thecup
Pro Prospect
User avatar
Posts: 758
And1: 13
Joined: May 28, 2012
Top

Post#32 Re: basketball IQ is a made up stat.
Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:07 am by Zubby

sprint2thecup, The better question is why take it so literal?
calm down, get over it, its not important... English nerd
Zubby
Head Coach
User avatar
Posts: 6,908
And1: 499
Joined: Feb 18, 2005
Top

Post#33 Re: basketball IQ is a made up stat.
Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:07 am by shawngoat23

Dribbling is a made up stat.
penbeast0 wrote:Yes, he did. And as a mod, I can't even put him on ignore . . . sigh.
shawngoat23
Lead Assistant
User avatar
Posts: 4,525
And1: 117
Joined: Apr 17, 2008
Top

Post#34 Re: basketball IQ is a made up stat.
Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:10 am by sprint2thecup

Doctor MJ wrote:
sprint2thecup wrote:
jstnw89 wrote:How can it be a made up stat? It's not even a stat because it's not quantifiable.


that's exactly my point.

Intelligence Quotient (IQ) IS quantifiable. there is an examination that produces a quotient such as 98 or 112. if you cannot get that quotient, then it's NOT an IQ.

IQ has a correlating number, always.


Right so you're a fundamentalist who has trouble with nuance.

People say "BBIQ" because it's quick and easy to say. They mean "basketball intelligence"


i'm glad we agree.

i just wish people would stop parading it around like it's truly quantifiable, and not just subjective. people always say stuff like "LOL westbrook has no basketball IQ", it's dumb. why bother adding the term "quotient" when it's clearly not there?
real gm logic;
"kobe scored 48 points tonight"
"^small sample size"
sprint2thecup
Pro Prospect
User avatar
Posts: 758
And1: 13
Joined: May 28, 2012
Top

Post#35 Re: basketball IQ is a made up stat.
Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:11 am by jstnw89

"LOL westbrook is a really dumb player", better?
Mo Williams after Decision wrote: so finally I just sent him a text, I just said, Lion-O would never leave Panthro out in the cold. Two days later I get a text back that says I'm a basketball player and a businessman, not a Thundercat.
jstnw89


Sixth Man
Posts: 1,930
And1: 121
Joined: Jul 13, 2010
Top

Post#36 Re: basketball IQ is a made up stat.
Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:12 am by Doctor MJ

sprint2thecup wrote:i just wish people would stop parading it around like it's truly quantifiable, and not just subjective. people always say stuff like "LOL westbrook has no basketball IQ", it's dumb. why bother adding the term "quotient" when it's clearly not there?


Pretty much no one anywhere has ever said the word "quotient" when talking about basketball. They use IQ as an abbreviation for intelligence because they don't want to have to say or spell "intelligence", that's all.
In 2007
The rule is the rule. It's not a matter of fairness. It's a matter of correctness.

In 2014
People just misunderstand...You’ve got to use some common sense, too.

I,for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
Doctor MJ



Senior Mod
Senior Mod
Posts: 32,460
And1: 2,524
Joined: Mar 10, 2005
Location: Treys are for Kicks!
Top

Post#37 Re: basketball IQ is a made up stat.
Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:13 am by nyhuskyfan

And nobody should say "wingspan" until players actually grow wings and start flying.
nyhuskyfan
Senior
Posts: 666
And1: 126
Joined: Jul 6, 2007
Top

Post#38 Re: basketball IQ is a made up stat.
Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:13 am by peja drobnjak

high functioning autism: the thread
Image Turbo Zone
peja drobnjak
Starter
Posts: 2,485
And1: 41
Joined: Dec 3, 2011
Top

Post#39 Re: basketball IQ is a made up stat.
Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:14 am by bigbreakfast

which region has the highest bbqiq? memphis? texas? carolinas? kansas city?
Lin is like that ex-girlfriend to bitter Knicks fans. They swear she's no good and they're better off without her, but they can't stop talking about her every opportunity they get.
bigbreakfast
Pro Prospect
Posts: 931
And1: 53
Joined: May 3, 2008
Top

Post#40 Re: basketball IQ is a made up stat.
Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:14 am by jamesnamida

basketball, like any other sport, is a subject that you can study.
you study the theory behind the game, the plays, etc.
then you practice in real life, get to know the speed of the game, actually seeing the passing lanes and passing the ball.

not so different from being a surgeon.
study it in theory, practice it in real life. get better.

Everyone has a best subject, and with today's advanced developments in science, the increasing volumes of history and literature, it's harder to become a polymath.
Most of us are specialized in a field.

but doesn't mean that we are all equals in such fields. depends on how much effort is put in, successful ways of learning and practicing, and most importantly, how your brain has developed since childhood. your ability to absorb new information. of course, more so than sports, there's many other elements in professional fields, mainly social-economical elements, that pertain to your success.

However, physical, genetic elements pertain to the success of sports more so than most other fields.

basketball IQ is only maximized if you have the physical tools too.
Even if you see open lanes in your mind, if you're too slow to get there, well then.

basketball iq can be quantified as much as a SAT test. but it's what it is, doesn't mean that much.

but no theres no current quantification in the league today, just people saying player x has good iq, based on their on court decisions, which reflect on their understanding of how the game is played, and what is the best move for each situation.

though i do believe players who pick up and understand basketball 5vs5 theory quickly and easily, can be successful in most other fields than a player who just doesn't get it.
Mostly because of their ability to learn new things, they probably know the most successful way for themselves to learn and think.
jamesnamida
Veteran
User avatar
Posts: 2,866
And1: 853
Joined: Mar 5, 2011
Top

Post#41 Re: basketball IQ is a made up stat.
Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:14 am by Guy986

Why they call it french fries? The fries i ordered in Mcdonalds aint fried by a french. :curse:
Guy986
RealGM
Posts: 17,719
And1: 605
Joined: Oct 8, 2005
Location: BBG Nation unite!
Top

Post#42 Re: basketball IQ is a made up stat.
Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:16 am by JDs_loot

Inigo_Montoya wrote:Epic straw man


You obviously don't know what a straw man argument is.
JDs_loot
Senior
Posts: 653
And1: 18
Joined: Aug 4, 2012
Top

Post#43 Re: basketball IQ is a made up stat.
Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:18 am by EzeDoesIt

This is a funny topic :)

But just to clarify, BBIQ is a basketball term, not really any different from the way "rebound" is a basketball term. The words mean different things in a basketball context.

BBIQ just seems to be your awareness on the court (offensive only, as players like Nash/ Kobe tend to get credited with amazing BBIQs but not players like Dwight [when he was good]).
EzeDoesIt
Junior
User avatar
Posts: 462
And1: 7
Joined: May 31, 2012
Top

Post#44 Re: basketball IQ is a made up stat.
Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:18 am by sprint2thecup

jstnw89 wrote:"LOL westbrook is a really dumb player", better?


if you really mean it then yes, but westbrook ISN'T a dumb player. the "basketball IQ" slang term is made up exactly to attack good players like westbrook, who ball hard but do not appear intelligent.
real gm logic;
"kobe scored 48 points tonight"
"^small sample size"
sprint2thecup
Pro Prospect
User avatar
Posts: 758
And1: 13
Joined: May 28, 2012
Top

Post#45 Re: basketball IQ is a made up stat.
Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:26 am by sunskerr

nyhuskyfan wrote:It's a colloquial term. It isn't math. Nobody has ever pretended it was math.

Why do they talk about "wingspan". That's not biologically accurate. Nobody is playing with feathers.


Well, I dont know about that...

Image
sunskerr

Suspended
User avatar
Posts: 4,279
And1: 471
Joined: Feb 20, 2010
Top

Post#46 Re: basketball IQ is a made up stat.
Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:27 am by EH15

Holy sh*t, someone had a bad day
EH15
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,181
And1: 996
Joined: Jan 15, 2008
Top

Post#47 Re: basketball IQ is a made up stat.
Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:28 am by EArl

sunskerr wrote:
nyhuskyfan wrote:It's a colloquial term. It isn't math. Nobody has ever pretended it was math.

Why do they talk about "wingspan". That's not biologically accurate. Nobody is playing with feathers.


Well, I dont know about that...

Image

Velociraptors dont have feathers they have scales.
TyCobb wrote:you're an idiot. With all due respect.
EArl



RealGM
User avatar
Posts: 38,372
And1: 6,925
Joined: Mar 14, 2012
Location: Santa Cruz (Los Angeles Native)
Top

Post#48 Re: basketball IQ is a made up stat.
Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:29 am by MrBigShot

jstnw89 wrote:How can it be a made up stat? It's not even a stat because it's not quantifiable.


Word. BBall IQ is a way of describing a player's smarts and overall feel for the game. It isn't a stat, like rebound percentage or assist to TO ratio.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
MrBigShot
Head Coach
User avatar
Posts: 6,314
And1: 1,202
Joined: Dec 18, 2010
Top

Post#49 Re: basketball IQ is a made up stat.
Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:36 am by Cklbmk

Someones mad that Westbrook got called out for making dumb plays.


Just because someone hasn't made a test for it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Did IQ or intelligence exist before the 19th century? By your logic it didn't because a test hadn't been made for it.

Just because we can't give it an exact number doesn't mean we don't have a feel where people would place compared to others.
Cklbmk



Analyst
Posts: 3,102
And1: 526
Joined: Sep 16, 2004
Top

Post#50 Re: basketball IQ is a made up stat.
Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:37 am by sunskerr

eablinksum wrote:Velociraptors dont have feathers they have scales.


How sure are you?
sunskerr

Suspended
User avatar
Posts: 4,279
And1: 471
Joined: Feb 20, 2010
Top

PreviousNext

Return to The General Board


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 918spyder, Alexa [Bot], aquaadverse, ATL Boy, BadWolf, BBgun, Boneman2, Brt19, CCM721, CelticGamecock, CP13, criteriado, Crowax, DaFranchise101, DaRealHibachi, DatBoyWonder, DBurks2818, Excellence, Flannerz, jaybiddyforeal, jazzfan1971, jpengland, KD35Brah, LaymanX, Lordninja11, MagicalMe, matt6715, mattao313, ninjamilk23, ocelot17, sakalaka, Samurai_Raps, Side beard, speedythief, Sundowners, taikibansei, The Boshstrich, TheWorm10, timdunkit, Village Idiot, Wharton Alum 08, Woodsanity, Zaschrona