Carlisle accuses Jazz of "thugging it up"

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

orange_juice32
Bench Warmer
And1: 290

Re: Carlisle accuses Jazz of "thugging it up" 

Post#41 » by orange_juice32 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 11:31 am

Away teams getting homered by the refs in Utah. Utah fans making excuses for their team's dirty play.

Nothing new here, this stuff spans back to the Malone days.
HotrodBeaubois
Veteran
And1: 196

Post#42 » by HotrodBeaubois » Wed Jan 9, 2013 11:53 am

2 games this year @ Home vs Dallas

Utah 42 FTA - Dallas 26 FTA

Utah 36 FTA - Dallas 20 FTA

Utah 78 FTA - Dallas 46 FTA

Utah + 22 FTA

Dallas up by 8 Pts 82-74 the 3rd play in the 4th quarter when Favors Body slams Dirk , The rest of the game Utah 15 FTA Dallas 4 FTA Utah wins by 6

several calls down the stretch missed Collison fouled twice at the basket no calls another play called a block after it hit the glass clearly a goaltend
DByrne86
Pro Prospect
And1: 101

Post#43 » by DByrne86 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:26 pm

orange_juice32 wrote:Away teams getting homered by the refs in Utah. Utah fans making excuses for their team's dirty play.

Hehe. That's one (probably unfair) way of looking at it.

No one, as far as I know, has ever provided a satisfactory explanation for why NBA refs would be biased in favor of Utah of all teams in the league, a team that the NBA front office could care less about as they provide a negligible amount of overall revenue to the league - revenue that could easily be surpassed by placing the Jazz in Las Vegas or St. Louis.

There is usually a reference to the supposedly terrifying Mormon Jazz fans intimidation tactics, which is of course an absurd argument when given only a brief moment's thought.

The best argument for the old school Jazz would probably have to point to the fact that Jerry Sloan was constantly trying to get inside the heads of the referees. Observing it myself, I believe it worked to a surprisingly large degree, but there's no way to quantify it.

Worst of all, the only two explanations for why refs would be motivated to favor Utah (the crowd and the coaching staff) would have to be applied also to most other NBA teams. All home teams' fans can be intimidating. All coaches try to influence the referees. It makes no sense to pinpoint Utah as having some type of competitive advantage in these areas, especially since Sloan is gone and the team itself is far from an NBA powerhouse anymore.
Captain_Obvious
Lead Assistant
And1: 927

Post#44 » by Captain_Obvious » Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:38 pm

That throwdown of Dirk in the gif looks very dangerous. There was this basketballer that fell similarly on the foot of somebody else and was almost paralyzed from the neck down. To me that is suspension worthy.

That said, I did not watch the game and if there were elbows thrown by Dirk I do not condone it.

Also, I'm getting sick of Cuban and Carlisle finding the same excuse over and over again. Whenever I watch Utah games they are allowed to be very physical though than in other arenas (for whatever reason). I guess that takes some adjustments.
Archerbro
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,244

Post#45 » by Archerbro » Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:43 pm

jazz thugging it up? NO

Favors? yes

Kinda have to, when you're still so raw into your 3rd year and looking like a bust.
unbiased
Junior
And1: 101

Post#46 » by unbiased » Wed Jan 9, 2013 1:36 pm

MacheteConfetti wrote:Nowitzki and Favors is actually a little bit of a rivalry going back a couple games.

Favors's 'takedown' was a lot less dirty than Nowitzki's elbow.

LOL, kinda doubt it. As others have said, post the video.

Hayward is a known flopper, and if this takedown was done to any of the golden children of the NBA, Favors would have been tossed and probably suspended.
Debaser
Starter
And1: 163

Post#47 » by Debaser » Wed Jan 9, 2013 1:59 pm

Also Dirk kicked MO in the nuts in the first game and Vince bit Milsap in the ear. I'm not going to post videos since that's not required in this thread.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Post#48 » by Rerisen » Wed Jan 9, 2013 2:12 pm

Utah protecting home court, Jerry Sloan would be proud.
jourdy
Starter
And1: 959

Post#49 » by jourdy » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:35 pm

Did they ever call anything on that takedown?
Seems like a very good way to stop the opposing team..

BTW where's the video of Dirk elbowing Hayward? Did it look something like my avatar?
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 9,906

Post#50 » by Woodsanity » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:38 pm

They are getting away with extremely physical play due to poor officiating.

Only the playoffs separate the true great ones and frauds.
DiscoLives4ever
General Manager
And1: 2,757

Post#51 » by DiscoLives4ever » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:10 pm

DByrne86 wrote:
orange_juice32 wrote:Away teams getting homered by the refs in Utah. Utah fans making excuses for their team's dirty play.

No one, as far as I know, has ever provided a satisfactory explanation for why NBA refs would be biased in favor of Utah of all teams in the league, a team that the NBA front office could care less about as they provide a negligible amount of overall revenue to the league - revenue that could easily be surpassed by placing the Jazz in Las Vegas or St. Louis.

There is usually a reference to the supposedly terrifying Mormon Jazz fans intimidation tactics, which is of course an absurd argument when given only a brief moment's thought.

The best argument for the old school Jazz would probably have to point to the fact that Jerry Sloan was constantly trying to get inside the heads of the referees. Observing it myself, I believe it worked to a surprisingly large degree, but there's no way to quantify it.

Worst of all, the only two explanations for why refs would be motivated to favor Utah (the crowd and the coaching staff) would have to be applied also to most other NBA teams. All home teams' fans can be intimidating. All coaches try to influence the referees. It makes no sense to pinpoint Utah as having some type of competitive advantage in these areas, especially since Sloan is gone and the team itself is far from an NBA powerhouse anymore.

Utah has two things that amplify their home crowd over other teams:

1) Only team in a normally reserved town. There are no other big sports team to let loose at, and the culture in Utah is such that people don't really get all that crazy normally, so when there are opportunities to get loud the fans here take advantage of it. Utah fans in the arena also have no hesitation in voicing their displeasure with calls regardless of whether it was the right call.

2) The arena design. The ESA has fans closer to the action than any other major professional sports team IIRC. Additionally, the stands are at a steeper angle than normal, which gives a feel of playing more in a tall glass than playing in a bowl. Players have described it as feeling like the fans are more on top of you.

Both of these things lead to increased pressure on the officials. I doubt there is anything by the league trying to favor the Jazz, but refs are human and feeling that pressure from the fans is going to affect them. Most officials will yield to the home crowd when they feel enough pressure (consciously or not) whereas some *cough*Joey Crawford*cough* like to bring attention on themselves by going against the crowd. You see the same reaction to home crowds throughout the NBA, but the ESA puts enough extra pressure on the officials that it becomes more pronounced.
DiscoLives4ever
General Manager
And1: 2,757

Post#52 » by DiscoLives4ever » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:11 pm

jourdy wrote:Did they ever call anything on that takedown?

They called a foul, just not a flagrant or anything.
Green Backpack
Head Coach
And1: 3,280

Post#53 » by Green Backpack » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:14 pm

Good ole' basketball!
UrbanLegend
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#54 » by UrbanLegend » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:21 pm

Just sour grapes from the petty Mavs coach... Dirk is a dirty player and resorts to some childish antics... funny that just a few bumps and bruises would make them cry. :lol:
pace31
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,350

Post#55 » by pace31 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:30 pm

http://rubasket.com/component/joomleagu ... =3475#high

Go to the 2:22:15 mark to see the Dirk/Hayward incident
fleet40
Junior
And1: 40

Post#56 » by fleet40 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:58 pm

I dont know why, but when I watch the clip of Dirk getting slammed into the court I can just hear Tommy Heinsohn
screaming "that was not a good takedown!!".
killacalijatt
General Manager
And1: 1,708

Post#57 » by killacalijatt » Wed Jan 9, 2013 6:17 pm

Thugs in Utah LoL
Xsy
Analyst
And1: 2,237

Post#58 » by Xsy » Wed Jan 9, 2013 7:22 pm

unbiased wrote:
MacheteConfetti wrote:Nowitzki and Favors is actually a little bit of a rivalry going back a couple games.

Favors's 'takedown' was a lot less dirty than Nowitzki's elbow.

LOL, kinda doubt it. As others have said, post the video.

Hayward is a known flopper, and if this takedown was done to any of the golden children of the NBA, Favors would have been tossed and probably suspended.

Can't find video of it. No call was made, and Hayward got revenge by doing a pretty behind the back spin move off the glass.

Also, Hayward is a known flopper? Find me ONE video of Hayward flopping.
Jazz on your face.
Nate505
RealGM
And1: 11,725

Post#59 » by Nate505 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 8:53 pm

jourdy wrote:Did they ever call anything on that takedown?
Seems like a very good way to stop the opposing team..

BTW where's the video of Dirk elbowing Hayward? Did it look something like my avatar?

Someone already posted the video of the game. Look it up yourself. I'm not sure how intentional it was, other than it seemed he didn't have to do it.
Nate505
RealGM
And1: 11,725

Post#60 » by Nate505 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 8:55 pm

DByrne86 wrote:

That's because they have none, because people who usually make this claim are just whiners. Every home team who has a loud crowd gets those sort of calls.

Return to The General Board