Is Harden a legit MVP candidate?

Moderators: Morten Jensen, Blame Rasho, Mark K, NO-KG-AI, magnumt, Doctor MJ, tsherkin, Flash3, UGA Hayes, Yuri Vaultin

gordito
Rookie
Posts: 1,050
And1: 33
Joined: Aug 15, 2011

Re: Is Harden a legit MVP candidate? 

Post#16 » by gordito » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:06 am

Anyone think he'll make the 1st team over Kobe?
BaunceyChillups
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,481
And1: 165
Joined: Jan 30, 2009

Re: Is Harden a legit MVP candidate? 

Post#17 » by BaunceyChillups » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:06 am

Rockets win like 17 games without Harden this year
User avatar
Dupp
RealGM
Posts: 70,500
And1: 17,302
Joined: Aug 16, 2009
Location: Queen D
 

Re: Is Harden a legit MVP candidate? 

Post#18 » by Dupp » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:10 am

Not top 3 no.
Phil Jackson wrote:means a smh
User avatar
mj234eva
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,326
And1: 1,660
Joined: Apr 16, 2011
Location: South Side Chicago

Re: Is Harden a legit MVP candidate? 

Post#19 » by mj234eva » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:11 am

BaunceyChillups wrote:Rockets win like 17 games without Harden this year


False.
:crazy: :nonono: :noway: :-? :lol:
If you compare AB's and Rose's stats, especially the advanced stats, it is kind of questionable if Rose was really contributing a lot to the team's success this year
black bart
Rookie
Posts: 1,245
And1: 40
Joined: Mar 08, 2011

Re: Is Harden a legit MVP candidate? 

Post#20 » by black bart » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:13 am

he isn't playing with a weak cast. I'm pretty sure parsons, lin, and asik are top 15 in the league at their position.
User avatar
xxSnEaKyPxx
Head Coach
Posts: 7,480
And1: 893
Joined: Jun 02, 2007

Re: Is Harden a legit MVP candidate? 

Post#21 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:14 am

Guy986 wrote:
DGrangeRx33 wrote:I wouldn't say the Rockets have a weak cast..

I think he has been great, but I wouldn't say he is having an MVP season either. Hard to overcome LeBron and Durant.


Rockets have the #1 highest scoring team in the league and Chandler Parsons is 2nd on the team in scoring @14ppg.

Rockets really still need a number 2 option.

Maybe...but also shows the have quality depth.
Check out my Youtube commentaries: http://www.youtube.com/xxSnEaKyPxx
BaunceyChillups
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,481
And1: 165
Joined: Jan 30, 2009

Re: Is Harden a legit MVP candidate? 

Post#22 » by BaunceyChillups » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:24 am

mj234eva wrote:
BaunceyChillups wrote:Rockets win like 17 games without Harden this year


False.


nah it's true

Jeremy Lin as a number 1 option is the worst team in the league
User avatar
Left Side Drive
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,923
And1: 2,858
Joined: Dec 16, 2009
Location: ACC
   

Re: Is Harden a legit MVP candidate? 

Post#23 » by Left Side Drive » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:26 am

BaunceyChillups wrote:
mj234eva wrote:
BaunceyChillups wrote:Rockets win like 17 games without Harden this year


False.


nah it's true

Jeremy Lin as a number 1 option is the worst team in the league

Without Harden because of injury or if the trade wasn't made? If the latter then K-mart would still be the number one option.
2014/2015
PG: K. Lowry / G. Vasquez
SG: D. DeRozan / L. Williams / L. Fields
SF: T. Ross / James Johnson / B. Caboclo
PF: A. Johnson / P. Patterson / T. Hansbrough
C: J. Valanciunas / G. Stiemsma / C. Hayes / L. Nogueira
User avatar
mj234eva
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,326
And1: 1,660
Joined: Apr 16, 2011
Location: South Side Chicago

Re: Is Harden a legit MVP candidate? 

Post#24 » by mj234eva » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:26 am

BaunceyChillups wrote:
mj234eva wrote:
BaunceyChillups wrote:Rockets win like 17 games without Harden this year


False.


nah it's true

Jeremy Lin as a number 1 option is the worst team in the league


Did you forget they traded guys to get Harden? They also won 34 games last season, and had loads of injuries...
:crazy: :nonono: :noway: :-? :lol:
If you compare AB's and Rose's stats, especially the advanced stats, it is kind of questionable if Rose was really contributing a lot to the team's success this year
User avatar
Clyde Frazier
Veteran
Posts: 2,883
And1: 974
Joined: Sep 07, 2010

Re: Is Harden a legit MVP candidate? 

Post#25 » by Clyde Frazier » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:27 am

Don't see him finishing any higher than 5th. Rockets would need a top 5 record in the league for him to finish any higher.
User avatar
junot111
General Manager
Posts: 7,567
And1: 902
Joined: Jan 31, 2007

Re: Is Harden a legit MVP candidate? 

Post#26 » by junot111 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:30 am

He is definitely very valuable to his team. He bails them out on several occasions (I say this because I'm a Lin fan so I've seen it first hand). However, as a player I believe he is slightly overrated. It's hard to say but I don't see him as that high of an impact player. It's like the Rockets shouldn't be winning but they are. But you could say they've had an easy schedule.
AaaBbbCcc
Guy986
RealGM
Posts: 17,754
And1: 621
Joined: Oct 09, 2005
Location: BBG Nation unite!

Re: Is Harden a legit MVP candidate? 

Post#27 » by Guy986 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:31 am

mj234eva wrote:
Did you forget they traded guys to get Harden? They also won 34 games last season, and had loads of injuries...


Not the same team as last year. Rockets lost 4 of their top 5 scorers via free agency or amnesty. They lost Scola, Lowry, Dragic and Lee.
holly1985
Sophomore
Posts: 156
And1: 2
Joined: Mar 14, 2012

Re: Is Harden a legit MVP candidate? 

Post#28 » by holly1985 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:31 am

Guy986 wrote:
DGrangeRx33 wrote:I wouldn't say the Rockets have a weak cast..

I think he has been great, but I wouldn't say he is having an MVP season either. Hard to overcome LeBron and Durant.


Rockets have the #1 highest scoring team in the league and Chandler Parsons is 2nd on the team in scoring @14ppg.

Rockets really still need a number 2 option.


Part of the problem with other Rockets players is that they're not consistent. One of them may score 20+ in one game but only digital pts in the next one. Parsons didn't have a high scoring game for a while till today. Lin is really inconsistent, the same go with Asik, Morris and Ppts. Also their bench can score a lot but also inconsistent. TD, Greg Smith and Delfino all have high scoring games and bad games.
The good thing is that at least they usually take turns to step up every game.
BaunceyChillups
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,481
And1: 165
Joined: Jan 30, 2009

Re: Is Harden a legit MVP candidate? 

Post#29 » by BaunceyChillups » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:33 am

mj234eva wrote:
Did you forget they traded guys to get Harden? They also won 34 games last season, and had loads of injuries...


Dragic, Lowry, Scola and Courtney Lee weren't traded for Harden
User avatar
illiance
RealGM
Posts: 16,261
And1: 432
Joined: Jan 26, 2009

Re: Is Harden a legit MVP candidate? 

Post#30 » by illiance » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:33 am

gordito wrote:Anyone think he'll make the 1st team over Kobe?

Not a chance.
User avatar
oaklandwarriors
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,016
And1: 581
Joined: May 30, 2011
   

Re: Is Harden a legit MVP candidate? 

Post#31 » by oaklandwarriors » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:36 am

Rockets have been very healthy all year, and they play at an extremely high pace which can lead to slowdown post all-star break. While I think Houston makes the playoffs it will be tough to maintain this pace.
User avatar
mj234eva
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,326
And1: 1,660
Joined: Apr 16, 2011
Location: South Side Chicago

Re: Is Harden a legit MVP candidate? 

Post#32 » by mj234eva » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:37 am

Guy986 wrote:
mj234eva wrote:
Did you forget they traded guys to get Harden? They also won 34 games last season, and had loads of injuries...


Not the same team as last year. Rockets lost 4 of their top 5 scorers via free agency or amnesty. They lost Scola, Lowry, Dragic and Lee.


But would still have Martin, Lin, Asik, Parsons (who I really like), among other players. So, so no I doubt they'd be that bad.

And like I said before, even with all their injures (Lowry missed almost 20 games and Martin missed more than 25) and they still ended over .500.
:crazy: :nonono: :noway: :-? :lol:
If you compare AB's and Rose's stats, especially the advanced stats, it is kind of questionable if Rose was really contributing a lot to the team's success this year
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
Posts: 33,025
And1: 2,880
Joined: Mar 10, 2005
Location: Treys are for Kicks!
     

Re: Is Harden a legit MVP candidate? 

Post#33 » by Doctor MJ » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:39 am

colts18 wrote:The Rockets are on pace to win 50 games and Harden is averaging 27-5-5, .600 TS% and playing great ball with a weak cast that was gutted by Morey during the offseason. Is he is in the same tier as Durant, LeBron if the Rockets win 55 games?


In a weaker year of candidates absolutely. At this point I think by season's end I'll consider his performance more of an MVP year than Rose's actual MVP year was.

This is however a very strong year for candidates. Frankly it's hard to see anyone other than LeBron or Durant winning, and if it is, it seems like that would be because either the Clippers have the best record or the Knicks take the #1 seed in the East and people go a little nuts.
Guy986
RealGM
Posts: 17,754
And1: 621
Joined: Oct 09, 2005
Location: BBG Nation unite!

Re: Is Harden a legit MVP candidate? 

Post#34 » by Guy986 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:44 am

mj234eva wrote:
Guy986 wrote:
mj234eva wrote:
Did you forget they traded guys to get Harden? They also won 34 games last season, and had loads of injuries...


Not the same team as last year. Rockets lost 4 of their top 5 scorers via free agency or amnesty. They lost Scola, Lowry, Dragic and Lee.


But would still have Martin, Lin, Asik, Parsons (who I really like), among other players. So, so no I doubt they'd be that bad.

And like I said before, even with all their injures (Lowry missed almost 20 games and Martin missed more than 25) and they still ended over .500.


Rockets wont be 17 win bad obviously but a team consisted of Lin, Martin, Parsons, Morris, Asik would be a terrible half court offensive team. Martin is just a spot up 3pt shooter at this point. Lin would have to work his linsanity magic just to come close to having a top 10 offense.
User avatar
mj234eva
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,326
And1: 1,660
Joined: Apr 16, 2011
Location: South Side Chicago

Re: Is Harden a legit MVP candidate? 

Post#35 » by mj234eva » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:49 am

Doctor MJ wrote:
colts18 wrote:The Rockets are on pace to win 50 games and Harden is averaging 27-5-5, .600 TS% and playing great ball with a weak cast that was gutted by Morey during the offseason. Is he is in the same tier as Durant, LeBron if the Rockets win 55 games?


In a weaker year of candidates absolutely. At this point I think by season's end I'll consider his performance more of an MVP year than Rose's actual MVP year was.

This is however a very strong year for candidates. Frankly it's hard to see anyone other than LeBron or Durant winning, and if it is, it seems like that would be because either the Clippers have the best record or the Knicks take the #1 seed in the East and people go a little nuts.


Knicks have cooled tremendously since their hot start. 13-4 in their 1st 17, 10-7 in their last. 5 of those losses coming in the last couple weeks. Think Melo has missed a couple of those though.
:crazy: :nonono: :noway: :-? :lol:
If you compare AB's and Rose's stats, especially the advanced stats, it is kind of questionable if Rose was really contributing a lot to the team's success this year

Return to The General Board