Wilt Chamberlain averaged 37 and 27 as a Rookie

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

LakerLegend
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Re: Wilt Chamberlain averaged 37 and 27 as a Rookie 

Post#61 » by LakerLegend » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:33 am

Ignoring everything about pace, era etc. look at Wilt's numbers before and after they expanded the lane from 12 to 16 feet.

BTW Baylor averaged 30/16 that year.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,433

Post#62 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:35 am

Brooklyn718 wrote:sooooooo....which is your greatest "gaudy" scoring game in history?

Im talking 60s and up

ftr I'll absolutely downplay Wilt's 100 point game, but I consider Kobe's 81 point game to be probably the best single game in history.

The negative on it is that it happened in some random game in the regular season. If Kobe could do things like this regularly in the playoffs he'd be a serious GOAT candidate, as it is, he's just an all-timer who has a game that can run really hot/cold without any real control.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
TwentyOne920
Lead Assistant
And1: 129

Post#63 » by TwentyOne920 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:47 am

How would Wilt do today with 3 seconds rules, a 3 point line, a drastically slower pace, and vastly improved offensive and defensive schemes?

Just curious.
bertrob wrote:Any casual fan saying anything about Tim Duncan is usually wrong

bobly wrote:Kobe locked up his All Defensive Team this year after he blocked Lebron in the all-star game.
Damon_3388
Sixth Man
And1: 1,056

Post#64 » by Damon_3388 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:29 am

Doctor MJ wrote:
Damon_3388 wrote:Aside from Wilt, there were only 15 other players in the entire league in 1959-60 who were 6'9" and above, and just one other 7-footer. In Wilt's final year (1972-73), there was still just 46 players in the league 6'9" and above, and just six other 7-footers. 40 years on from Wilt's NBA retirement, there is 173 players in the league 6'9" and above, and 34 of those are 7-footers.

Not saying it was all his size, but you put someone that big with the type of athleticism and strength he had too in there against guys who are significantly smaller, and he's going to dominate regardless.

Dude, I'm not one trying to defend Wilt's performance here, but the average height has barely changed since Wilt's time. You list X number of players, but there were only 8 teams. You talk about 7 footers, but the league is dominated by guys under 7 feet even at the center position today.

It's interesting because you basically just see his impact back then as a given, which it wasn't. You underrate the quality of the players at the time and partly as a result of that you overestimate what Wilt achieved against them.

Well take the numbers I provided as averages then:

1959-60 - 2 players per team 6'9" plus
1972-73 - 2.71 players per team 6'9" plus
2012-13 - 5.77 players per team 6'9" plus

Taller players (6'9"+) are far more common in the NBA now than they were in Wilt's era, any way you slice it.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
lorak
Head Coach
And1: 2,231

Post#65 » by lorak » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:13 am

Doctor MJ wrote:
DavidStern wrote:
Barely? Since when improve from dead last to average/above average is barely?
Warriors
1959 103.3 PPG (7th of 8), .381 eFG (8th)
1960 118.6 PPG (3rd), .409 eFG (6th)

What the heck dude. You've been in all of these projects over on the PC board. Even if you don't agree with things like ElGee's assessments of ORtg, it's hard to imagine you don't know what I'm talking about, and I can't even believe that you used raw PPG to throw in "above average" as a possibility. You yourself have done things far more sophisticated than that in data analysis

For everyone else, and I suppose you too DS, here's the RPOY thread from that year. Look for ElGee's post where he gives his estimates.

Sure I know about that, but estimations based on data from two decades later are worthless when we want to evaluate so different league like late 50s/early 60s. For example we have NO IDEA about amount of TOV and ORB teams generated back then. Look, it's hard to believe team played faster after adding 7-1 player - and higher pace is the only way to explain such big PPG (and FG%) improvement without similarly big ortg improvement. We also know Wilt was high TOV player but also GOAT offensive rebounder. However his TOVs were probably higher later in his career when he focused more on passing, while his offensive rebounding skill was even greater during early 60s, when his physical advantage over rest of the league was bigger. So even when Warriors missed shots, they had Wilt who rebounded and made basket. That's still one possession, but estimations would undervalue it, because they "don't know" how great offensive rebounder Wilt was. That's how I see it - Wilt improved Warriors FG%, but because of his offensive rebounding their PPG (and ortg) improved by even higher margin.
adjacent2bench
RealGM
And1: 7,495

Post#66 » by adjacent2bench » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:46 am

TwentyOne920 wrote:How would Wilt do today with 3 seconds rules, a 3 point line, a drastically slower pace, and vastly improved offensive and defensive schemes?

Just curious.

Gotta remember it was because of Wilt's dominance that a lot of rules were changed to limit the big man's game.
Frank Mulely
Head Coach
And1: 649

Post#67 » by Frank Mulely » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:03 am

old rem wrote:
[GR] wrote:Wilt played Russell in 142 games. He averaged 28.7 pts and 28.7 rebounds.

Praise be to the most high.
I only saw Wilt in person once, but saw him a lot on TV...back in the day. It was a somewhat different game but the guy had MAJOR talents. A lot of what became "textbook skills" for a big....Wilt invented.
Later in his career...Wilt DID face more talented bigs,like Walt Bellamy,a young Kareem, and the overall level of the NBA, the tactics...improved, so the numbers were less extreme. Check out the first 5 yr of Oscar Robertson's career. While the Big O did average a Triple Double one year...if you combine the stats...he actually averaged a triple double his first 5 years. Defenders got away with fewer bumps,grabs,hand checks etc. There was just "man on man". While there were some VERY good players...the talent wasn't as deep or as athletic.

:o Unce old rem, tell us what it was like before flush toilets and refrigeration :D
Shv3d wrote:
Frank Mulely wrote:Honestly if this was the 80s

The official motto of RealGM.
Ito
General Manager
And1: 786

Post#68 » by Ito » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:12 am

Wilt would average like 20 and 14 in today's game.. thats if he really did have the talent and it wasn't all because how pathetic basketball was... Anybody that thinks Wilt would average those ridiculous stats in today's league is definitely on that good kush and achohol

lebron would adverage 40 20 20 back then... kobe would average 81 ppg for a whole season
Darain
Lead Assistant
And1: 39

Post#69 » by Darain » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:20 am

TwentyOne920 wrote:How would Wilt do today with 3 seconds rules, a 3 point line, a drastically slower pace, and vastly improved offensive and defensive schemes?

Just curious.

Exactly what i said on the first page
crowd goes wild wrote:Joel Anthony. Dude could probably give you around 27 ppg if he wasn't playing along side Chris Bosh.

I'm not a Kobe fan
nhh90 wrote:Kobe hasn't been doubled in a game since 07-08 season.
WhateverBro
Head Coach
And1: 1,578

Post#70 » by WhateverBro » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:27 am

Ito wrote:Wilt would average like 20 and 14 in today's game.. thats if he really did have the talent and it wasn't all because how pathetic basketball was... Anybody that thinks Wilt would average those ridiculous stats in today's league is definitely on that good kush and achohol

lebron would adverage 40 20 20 back then... kobe would average 81 ppg for a whole season

No one believes that he would close to the freak numbers he posted back in his days but 20 / 14 is an incredibly low ceiling for someone his size and with his athletic ability.
Beard
Sixth Man
And1: 28

Post#71 » by Beard » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:32 am

FYI: The three second rule was created due to George Mikan, so that rule did exist during Wilt's time.

Here's a quick interesting read:
http://www.school-for-champions.com/spo ... hanges.htm
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,046

Post#72 » by Laimbeer » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:16 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:
Darain wrote:Bill Russel plan was to let Wilt be dominant and shut down the rest of his teammates, it was effective since he was 7-1 in playoff series vs Wilt

Pretty convenient seeing how he was guarding Wilt. :lol:

Yup, that lazy Russell. Loafing about while his teammates did all the work. :wink:

More sincerely - Darain's comment isn't right. There were times Russell assigned Wilt to someone else, but during Wilt's scoring prime Russell was known for making Wilt score a good amount less than normal in addition to having major impact on the rest of the team.

As you may know from the PC forum, I'm a Russell slappy and consider him the co-GOAT. Just thought it was odd to say an indivdual player had made a decision to let his guy go off and shut down everybody else. It seems to imply he let Wilt score more by focusing on the other four guys and he could have closed Wilt down one-on-one had he focused on him.
adjacent2bench
RealGM
And1: 7,495

Post#73 » by adjacent2bench » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:07 pm

Beard wrote:FYI: The three second rule was created due to George Mikan, so that rule did exist during Wilt's time.

Here's a quick interesting read:
http://www.school-for-champions.com/spo ... hanges.htm

Which makes his dominance even more unbelievable.

Nice read btw.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,085

Post#74 » by og15 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:17 pm

Damon_3388 wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:
Damon_3388 wrote:Aside from Wilt, there were only 15 other players in the entire league in 1959-60 who were 6'9" and above, and just one other 7-footer. In Wilt's final year (1972-73), there was still just 46 players in the league 6'9" and above, and just six other 7-footers. 40 years on from Wilt's NBA retirement, there is 173 players in the league 6'9" and above, and 34 of those are 7-footers.

Not saying it was all his size, but you put someone that big with the type of athleticism and strength he had too in there against guys who are significantly smaller, and he's going to dominate regardless.

Dude, I'm not one trying to defend Wilt's performance here, but the average height has barely changed since Wilt's time. You list X number of players, but there were only 8 teams. You talk about 7 footers, but the league is dominated by guys under 7 feet even at the center position today.

It's interesting because you basically just see his impact back then as a given, which it wasn't. You underrate the quality of the players at the time and partly as a result of that you overestimate what Wilt achieved against them.

Well take the numbers I provided as averages then:

1959-60 - 2 players per team 6'9" plus
1972-73 - 2.71 players per team 6'9" plus
2012-13 - 5.77 players per team 6'9" plus

Taller players (6'9"+) are far more common in the NBA now than they were in Wilt's era, any way you slice it.

Just a warning, this might be due to players being listed a little taller than they actually are now as opposed to before
hokageinfamus
Senior
And1: 29

Post#75 » by hokageinfamus » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:26 pm

He would still be a dominant player today he's one of those guys whose abilities transcend eras. In 20 years time MJ and Kobe will be called scrubs by some because of a perceived lack of talent in their eras.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,085

Post#76 » by og15 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:02 pm

We have too much non grainy video evidence for that to happen, and no reasonable thinks Wilt is a scrub
Manuel Calavera
Starter
And1: 307

Post#77 » by Manuel Calavera » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:13 pm

og15 wrote:Just a warning, this might be due to players being listed a little taller than they actually are now as opposed to before

It is. Players back then were measured barefoot while today's players are measured in shoes.

And I shouldn't imply that all players were measured this way, because there is no standard in how NBA players are measured (the NBA doesn't measure them officially). At best today's players are slightly exaggerated, at worst it's as many as 2-3 inches per player.
nolunch
Sixth Man
And1: 85

Post#78 » by nolunch » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:52 am

If 6'5 Elgin Baylor can average 19.8 rpg in 60's, Wilt should average 30 rpg.
[GR]
RealGM
And1: 1,947

Post#79 » by [GR] » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:04 am

Brooklyn718 wrote:
[GR] wrote:
Brooklyn718 wrote:Quick thought:

Many downplay Wilts era and ridiculous stats but refuse to give props to scoring 81 in this era. If Wilt is downplayed that means Kobe is next in line with highest scoring game. People just don't like Kobe I guess.
BTW I'm a Knicks fan not a Laker Homer

They also refuse to acknowledge perimeter players playing in an easier era to score.

sooooooo....which is your greatest "gaudy" scoring game in history?

Im talking 60s and up

I don't know. I wasn't too impressed by Kobe's 81 either.
Chronz
Starter
And1: 467

Post#80 » by Chronz » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:59 am

Guy986 wrote:How did a 7 foot 2 player with a 50 inch vertical and enough strength/courage to beat up a mountain lion shoot 46% in his rookie year?

He should've be able to fly all over the court and dunk on people's face all the time.

He was a twig who couldn't/wouldn't return punishing blows with grown men.

He shot alot of fadeaways during this period so he wasnt overly dominant. I can't help but wonder if Wilt bulked up in part to get back at those who intimidated him. The man just wanted to play without the bush league bs

Return to The General Board