Andrew Wiggins - the next big thing

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

hitman9172
Ballboy
And1: 17

Re: Andrew Wiggins - the next big thing 

Post#101 » by hitman9172 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:35 am

Damon_3388
Sixth Man
And1: 1,056

Post#102 » by Damon_3388 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:44 am

Makes it look like he's playing on a 9 foot ring. Such effortless lift.

That spin move is a thing of beauty too.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
Minge
Bench Warmer
And1: 6

Andrew Wiggins 

Post#103 » by Minge » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:46 am

He disappears off the ball.
branny
Assistant Coach
And1: 28

Post#104 » by branny » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:51 am

boogie-reke
Head Coach
And1: 244

Post#105 » by boogie-reke » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:06 am

TheGoodDoctor wrote:Even as a Canadian I don't like that he is consistently mentioned as a "Lebron" type of prospect.

Because really NO ONE is....not even in the past (yes even Jordan) as a prospect. Lebron was the most complete prospect the league has ever seen from overall skill to physical gifts. There simply isn't another prospect that has rivaled James as a prospect. To clarify in history Jordan is still the GOAT and will remain that but the natural talents and God given genetics I have never seen on a player like Lebron and I am old enough where I did watch Jordan and was a huge Bulls' fan (bandwagoning of course lol) until we finally got a franchise here in Toronto.

To me Wiggins' potential is what McGrady could have been

McGrady in his prime rivaled Kobe Bryant for best player in the league and had he had a different attitude and approach he may have been better than Kobe (but of course didn't). I don't even think a full potential McGrady is at the level of a Lebron but that is a helluva player...again a prime TMac with a better approach imo could have been at Kobe's level or just slightly better and that to me is where Wiggins potential lies. Not quite Lebron but still amongst one of the most elite. But I don't like to oversell highschool players that's a big if but the potential I believe is there.

He will need to work hard to be Mcgrady too. The playmaking instincts, ball handling and vision he had made him standout aswell as having a very good looking jumper - all things I'd say high-school T-Mac had in his favor.

He was much more fluid and capable with the ball, and had higher overall skill level that just got better as he became a pro - overall I think he's not the prospect Tmac was aswell, despite being less physically imposing then Wiggins is.

Like I said before, Wiggins better have that once in a decade work ethic if he wants to meet the expectations set for him.. the raw ability and potential is there - but since when is that enough and why is he a guarantee to max it opposed to others?

Not directing that at you btw, just in general talking from what I've seen of him.
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#106 » by winter_mute_13 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:20 am

Sixersftw wrote:
barborous wrote:
LikeABosh wrote:
Andrew Wiggins...heh.....might as well start calling him "Ender"

I hope to God's he's clutch. It would be the perfect thing. Instant favorite player just because of the nickname.

This. I just reread that book again and thought this was some nerdy joke thread.

Unfortunately, not many people read these days. When the movie comes out and if its popular, then maybe we'll see the Ender nickname take.

For anyone wondering what the heck we're talking about, look up Ender's Game.
rockmanslim
General Manager
And1: 5,020

Post#107 » by rockmanslim » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:10 pm

TheGoodDoctor wrote:Even as a Canadian I don't like that he is consistently mentioned as a "Lebron" type of prospect.

Because really NO ONE is....not even in the past (yes even Jordan) as a prospect. Lebron was the most complete prospect the league has ever seen from overall skill to physical gifts. There simply isn't another prospect that has rivaled James as a prospect. To clarify in history Jordan is still the GOAT and will remain that but the natural talents and God given genetics I have never seen on a player like Lebron and I am old enough where I did watch Jordan and was a huge Bulls' fan (bandwagoning of course lol) until we finally got a franchise here in Toronto.

McGrady in his prime rivaled Kobe Bryant for best player in the league and had he had a different attitude and approach he may have been better than Kobe (but of course didn't). I don't even think a full potential McGrady is at the level of a Lebron but that is a helluva player...again a prime TMac with a better approach imo could have been at Kobe's level or just slightly better and that to me is where Wiggins potential lies. Not quite Lebron but still amongst one of the most elite. But I don't like to oversell highschool players that's a big if but the potential I believe is there.

are you kidding me? a full potential mcgrady is possibly better than MJ himself. even the real mcgrady (the one we actually got, less than the mythical full-potential one) in his prime was more skilled than lebron. lebron makes up for it in being the most physically imposing force in nba history. lebron is bigger, faster, stronger, more durable...but not more skilled, sorry. besides, t-mac was no slouch himself when it came to explosiveness. he was a physical freak of nature in his own right.
click

"Harden's a guy that averages 26 in the NBA, but if he was on the playground with you he'd only average about 5 because they wouldn't let him get those free throws." --Scott Hastings, April 6, 2013

Apollo64
Starter
And1: 724

Post#108 » by Apollo64 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:32 pm

Best prospect since Durant i guess.
arifgokcen
Rookie
And1: 153

Post#109 » by arifgokcen » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:45 pm

rockmanslim wrote:

are you kidding me? a full potential mcgrady is possibly better than MJ himself. even the real mcgrady (the one we actually got, less than the mythical full-potential one) in his prime was more skilled than lebron. lebron makes up for it in being the most physically imposing force in nba history. lebron is bigger, faster, stronger, more durable...but not more skilled, sorry. besides, t-mac was no slouch himself when it came to explosiveness. he was a physical freak of nature in his own right.

+1111111111111.

Exactly.Lebron is not the most skilled player never been but his physical tools combined with his skills made him this good.Whoever he is being guarded by,he is stronger faster bigger quicker.More importantly we have never seen a player with his stamina with all the things that he does its unbelieveable since jordan.Malona stamina wasnt on par with lebron.He was arguably more durable.

I dont see these tools in Wiggins.Especially court vision.I dont see that in wiggins.

Apollo64 wrote:Best prospect since Durant i guess.

He is a better prospect than durant.He is undisputed #1.He is the best prospect we have seen since lebron
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,619

Post#110 » by Johnny Firpo » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:54 pm

Yeah, i agree with arifgokcen, Wiggins a better prospect than Durant was back then. Of course that doesn't mean he's gonna be a better player, but as prospects, Wiggins is better imo. Durant had some question marks as a prospect, mainly from a physical standpoint.
Honey Bear
Starter
And1: 179

Post#111 » by Honey Bear » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:58 pm

He may be a better prospect than Durant was, but the way Durant has played in the NBA, I don't see how he'll be better. The things Durant has done/is doing are just insane. This kid as great as he looks won't be as good as Durant is now IMO. So being a better prospect means nothing at all when Durant exceeded any expectations.
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,619

Post#112 » by Johnny Firpo » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:24 pm

TexansFanatic wrote:He may be a better prospect than Durant was, but the way Durant has played in the NBA, I don't see how he'll be better. The things Durant has done/is doing are just insane. This kid as great as he looks won't be as good as Durant is now IMO. So being a better prospect means nothing at all when Durant exceeded any expectations.

No, but that's a start if he wants to be better. Sooner or later the next MJ/Lebron is gonna come, and even though chances are, Wiggins won't be that good, he's still a relatively good bet. I mean, that theoretical player probably won't be a late first round pick, or a 10th pick, but he's gonna be an undisputed nr. 1 pick, or at worst a top 3 pick, with elite physical tools. Like him.
Baseline Runner
Analyst
And1: 1,067

Post#113 » by Baseline Runner » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:35 pm

Wiggins looks like he has the ability to be a game changer defensively. Someone who can step out and guard the perimeter and also protect the paint and block shots.
arifgokcen
Rookie
And1: 153

Post#114 » by arifgokcen » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:41 pm

Johnny Firpo wrote:

Yeah, i agree with arifgokcen, Wiggins a better prospect than Durant was back then. Of course that doesn't mean he's gonna be a better player, but as prospects, Wiggins is better imo. Durant had some question marks as a prospect, mainly from a physical standpoint.

Exactly.

He is a better prospect.That doesnt mean he is gonna be a better player.
Optms
RealGM
And1: 16,927

Post#115 » by Optms » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:52 pm

Johnny Firpo wrote:
TexansFanatic wrote:He may be a better prospect than Durant was, but the way Durant has played in the NBA, I don't see how he'll be better. The things Durant has done/is doing are just insane. This kid as great as he looks won't be as good as Durant is now IMO. So being a better prospect means nothing at all when Durant exceeded any expectations.

No, but that's a start if he wants to be better. Sooner or later the next MJ/Lebron is gonna come, and even though chances are, Wiggins won't be that good, he's still a relatively good bet. I mean, that theoretical player probably won't be a late first round pick, or a 10th pick, but he's gonna be an undisputed nr. 1 pick, or at worst a top 3 pick, with elite physical tools. Like him.

I've always thought whenever the next Jordan or Kobe arrive, we wouldn't really know. Those two were drafted low for the players they became. Based on their personalities, you could say they used that as motivation early in their development.

Wiggins is no Lebron. That much is obvious to anyone being objective. Whenever the next Lebron type of athlete does come by, I think we'll all know it and there won't be any doubts in our minds.
RatherUnique
Analyst
And1: 1,431

Post#116 » by RatherUnique » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:41 pm

Yall gotta stop comparing Lebron & McGrady to dudes who don't have great court vision.

6 foot 8 athletic swingman =/= Lebron/Tmac
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#117 » by Kabookalu » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:29 pm

I think Wiggins is a much better prospect than Durant. People seem to be only looking at his offense, but his defensive potential looks to be tremendous. His first jump is one of the quickest I've seen in a wing player and it's so effortless, and he can get up high on his second jump too. Plus he has long arms to boot. He's a modern basketball marvel.
Read on Twitter
supaSPED
Pro Prospect
And1: 194

Post#118 » by supaSPED » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:18 pm

he's playing on ESPN at 5pm today against Noah Vonleh, ranked top 10 in the same high school graduating class.
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager
And1: 1,663

Post#119 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:43 pm

DCsOwn wrote:
TheKingOfVa360 wrote:
dandrews wrote:Have any of you actually seen Wiggins or Parker play, or do you guys do all your prognostications off of 2 minute YouTube highlights?

I've seen him play at Peach Jam. Kid is the best prospect I have seen since Lebron.

He's not anywhere near as skilled as Durant was in high school, and he's probably not as physically gifted. He's more explosive vertically and stronger, but Durant's height and length, and just as importantly his fluidity, quickness and coordination given his height and length was alien like, even at Montrose.

That's your opinion, scouts disagree. Durant wasn't even the number 1 pick and this kid would be the number one pick out of high school. You're having revisionist history, Durant wasn't seen as a can't miss prospect.
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#120 » by spearsy23 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:12 pm

supaSPED wrote:he's playing on ESPN at 5pm today against Noah Vonleh, ranked top 10 in the same high school graduating class.

Hasn't looked special so far but it's just the first quarter. Lincoln Davis just made a special play though.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.

Return to The General Board