yardbarker

Karl Wants Javale McGee To Be More Like Tim Duncan

Moderators: Morten Jensen, Blame Rasho, Flash3, Yuri Vaultin, magnumt, tsherkin, NO-KG-AI, Doctor MJ, UGA Hayes, Basti, KingCuban

Post#21 Re: Karl Wants Javale McGee To Be More Like T
Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:38 am by Greg Stink

Sounds more reasonable than wanting him to be less like Tim Duncan. That would be impossible.
Greg Stink
Starter
User avatar
Posts: 2,240
And1: 13
Joined: Jul 28, 2004
Location: ... I wouldn't put darts anywhere near a vagina!
Top

Post#22 Re: Karl Wants Javale McGee To Be More Like T
Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:48 am by Doctor MJ

This has to be the most hilarious tagline of the year.
In 2007
The rule is the rule. It's not a matter of fairness. It's a matter of correctness.

In 2014
People just misunderstand...You’ve got to use some common sense, too.

I,for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
Doctor MJ



Senior Mod
Senior Mod
Posts: 31,293
And1: 1,659
Joined: Mar 10, 2005
Location: Treys are for Kicks!
Top

Post#23 Re: Karl Wants Javale McGee To Be More Like T
Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:52 am by HEAT33

I want Joel Anthony to be more like Shaq.
EscapoTHB wrote:I think the 92 dream team would get beat by a lot of the top international teams today.

:lol:
HEAT33
Bench Warmer
User avatar
Posts: 1,340
And1: 107
Joined: Sep 29, 2010
Top

Post#24 Re: Karl Wants Javale McGee To Be More Like T
Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:55 am by SalamiNCheez

More like Tim Dumbcan
SalamiNCheez



RealGM
Posts: 15,915
And1: 1,676
Joined: Jun 30, 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Top

Post#25 Re: Karl Wants Javale McGee To Be More Like T
Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:57 am by Doctor MJ

Going forward a bit further with this, what strikes me:

McGee is known for being among the stupidest players ever to get basketball scouts this excited. Denver traded for him by giving up Nene, a drastically underrated player because of his intelligence.

The question with all of this is who made the call, and what Karl, a basketball brain, thought about it all. Was this done against Karl's will? Was this Karl's hubris thinking he could change the guy? Is Karl actually not nearly as smart as we thought?

This quote doesn't answer that, but it's one more thing to consider as we learn more going forward. It is however interesting both how inappropriate and appropriate the comparison is. Inappropriate because McGee is not merely not a superstar, he's not even a good player. Appropriate though because the only way to possibly get through to somebody like McGee is to point to a peak he respects. Karl can't tell him to play like Nene because he probably thinks he's better than Nene.
In 2007
The rule is the rule. It's not a matter of fairness. It's a matter of correctness.

In 2014
People just misunderstand...You’ve got to use some common sense, too.

I,for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
Doctor MJ



Senior Mod
Senior Mod
Posts: 31,293
And1: 1,659
Joined: Mar 10, 2005
Location: Treys are for Kicks!
Top

Post#26 Re: Karl Wants Javale McGee To Be More Like T
Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:01 am by BizGilwalker

^ It was a great trade. Nene's contract is terrible since he's rarely healthy and playing at 100% and let's be honest, 100% for Nene isn't star caliber or anywhere close to it.

Javale is still growing as a player, really young, sooooooooooo lllllllllloooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnggg and full of potential.


Aslo just saw today is Javale's 25th birthday, quarter of a century. Javale: "what's a century?"
Takingbaconback wrote:Would anyone really be that surprised if Dieng was a better player than Wiggins in the next 5 years?
BizGilwalker


RealGM
User avatar
Posts: 20,384
And1: 1,706
Joined: Feb 5, 2012
Location: #biznation
Top

Post#27 Re: Karl Wants Javale McGee To Be More Like T
Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:04 am by MrBigShot

Manimal wrote:He basically said he just wants him to be less worried about making the spectacular play and just focus on making the solid, fundamental basketball play. For instance, instead of blocking a shot 10 rows into the stands, block the shot in a way that you can retain possession of the ball. Or instead of trying to throw down a highlight reel dunk in traffic, just put the ball in the basket the easiest way possible. Just play solid fundamental basketball, like Duncan does. Not actually play like one of the greatest big men ever(though that would obviously be nice too).

Nothing too ridiculous in what he said, IMO.


Good post. That's exactly what he's saying. He wants Javale to mimic Duncan's attitude and approach.

Also I agree with CHA_77_Bobcats, I thought it was a good trade.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
MrBigShot
Head Coach
User avatar
Posts: 6,027
And1: 968
Joined: Dec 18, 2010
Top

Post#28 Re: Karl Wants Javale McGee To Be More Like T
Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:08 am by sp6r=underrated

MrBigShot wrote:
Good post. That's exactly what he's saying. He wants Javale to mimic Duncan's attitude and approach.


People underrate how much "attitude and approach" is innate or set in stone by the time someone turns 18. Saying Javale should mimic Duncan's attitude and approach is only slightly more realistic than saying Duncan should immitate Javale's vertical lift.
It was a fun seven years but I am retired. I enjoyed reading many of yours posts. Peace and love basketball.
sp6r=underrated

RealGM
Posts: 10,520
And1: 1,209
Joined: Jan 20, 2007
Location: Retired from realgm. Good luck with the PC Board
Top

Post#29 Re: Karl Wants Javale McGee To Be More Like T
Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:26 am by Doctor MJ

CHA_77_Bobcats wrote:^ It was a great trade. Nene's contract is terrible since he's rarely healthy and playing at 100% and let's be honest, 100% for Nene isn't star caliber or anywhere close to it.

Javale is still growing as a player, really young, sooooooooooo lllllllllloooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnggg and full of potential.


Aslo just saw today is Javale's 25th birthday, quarter of a century. Javale: "what's a century?"


Nene actually should have been an all-star. This is what I mean when I say underrated.

Now, that doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad trade. Obviously they weren't winning any titles with the core they had. Shaking things up can be a good thing. Taking a risk can be a good thing. However, if Denver was under any illusion that McGee was in Nene's league in terms of being able to actually play 5-on-5 basketball effectively at the time, then it was a bad trade because that just means they didn't know what they were doing.

Re: "really young"...25. What sport are you following here? When have you ever seen a 5th year NBA player not understand the game and later evolve into someone who really grasps team basketball well? Basketball simply isn't that complicated if you've got a good brain for it.
In 2007
The rule is the rule. It's not a matter of fairness. It's a matter of correctness.

In 2014
People just misunderstand...You’ve got to use some common sense, too.

I,for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
Doctor MJ



Senior Mod
Senior Mod
Posts: 31,293
And1: 1,659
Joined: Mar 10, 2005
Location: Treys are for Kicks!
Top

Post#30 Re: Karl Wants Javale McGee To Be More Like T
Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:26 am by MrBigShot

sp6r=underrated wrote:
MrBigShot wrote:
Good post. That's exactly what he's saying. He wants Javale to mimic Duncan's attitude and approach.


People underrate how much "attitude and approach" is innate or set in stone by the time someone turns 18. Saying Javale should mimic Duncan's attitude and approach is only slightly more realistic than saying Duncan should immitate Javale's vertical lift.


Attitude/approach is apart of the maturation process that players undergo. Some become more mature and figure it out, some don't. But to say that attitude and approach is set in stone is silly. Karl obviously doesn't expect McGhee to ever be as focused on fundamentals as Timmy, but what he says is something good for McGhee to strive for.

The important part is that he wants him to focus giving a consistent effort in fundamentals throughout games night in and night out, and let the spectacular plays happen on their own. That's the central message and if Karl hadn't mentioned Tim Duncan this topic wouldn't have even been made. Naturally people on realgm jump to the idea that a person is comparing two players because they mention both in the same post(not saying you have, but this is a natural trend.)
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
MrBigShot
Head Coach
User avatar
Posts: 6,027
And1: 968
Joined: Dec 18, 2010
Top

Post#31 Re: Karl Wants Javale McGee To Be More Like T
Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:43 am by LascelleL

mj234eva wrote:No lie, I just saw that on the wiretap and busted out laughing.
RAPTORS DRAFT WIGGINS
Sinant wrote:I treat the Phoenix/Cleveland/Boston Shaqs like I do Wizards MJ.
Never happened.

^^^^So True

Image
LascelleL





Analyst
User avatar
Posts: 3,231
And1: 67
Joined: Jan 12, 2010
Location: Toronto
Top

Post#32 Re: Karl Wants Javale McGee To Be More Like T
Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:03 am by dangermouse

I want my bank account to be more like Bill Gates'.

I want my girlfriend to be more like Jenna Jameson.

I want my Wizards to be more like Oklahoma City.
Fri Jul 5, 2013 4:36 am by dangermouse
dangermouse wrote:44 is my best guess.

I think we make the playoffs, no lower than 6th seed.
dangermouse
Assistant Coach
User avatar
Posts: 4,073
And1: 161
Joined: Dec 8, 2009
Top

Post#33 Re: Karl Wants Javale McGee To Be More Like T
Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:14 am by Nate505

Manimal wrote:He basically said he just wants him to be less worried about making the spectacular play and just focus on making the solid, fundamental basketball play. For instance, instead of blocking a shot 10 rows into the stands, block the shot in a way that you can retain possession of the ball. Or instead of trying to throw down a highlight reel dunk in traffic, just put the ball in the basket the easiest way possible. Just play solid fundamental basketball, like Duncan does. Not actually play like one of the greatest big men ever(though that would obviously be nice too).

Nothing too ridiculous in what he said, IMO.


The idea isn't ridiculous. The idea of the person he's telling it to to be smart enough to pull it off is.

Seriously, McGee may be the dumbest player in the league.
Utah Jazz - 13/14 Tank Commanders

#Riggin4Wiggins #Scandal4Randle #PlayinSorry4Jabari #LossHoardin4Gordon #PlayinDumb4Exum #AvoidTakingTheLead4Embiid #OffToABadStart4Smart
Nate505





Lead Assistant
User avatar
Posts: 5,659
And1: 224
Joined: Oct 28, 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Top

Post#34 Re: Karl Wants Javale McGee To Be More Like T
Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:58 am by SalamiNCheez

dangermouse wrote:I want my bank account to be more like Bill Gates'.

I want my girlfriend to be more like Jenna Jameson.

I want my Wizards to be more like Oklahoma City.


Eww.. really?

Image
SalamiNCheez



RealGM
Posts: 15,915
And1: 1,676
Joined: Jun 30, 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Top

Post#35 Re: Karl Wants Javale McGee To Be More Like T
Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:51 am by siydee

easy to take that headline the wrong way, but pretty much everyone is laughing at that wiretap is taking it out of context. there is nothing ludicrous about what karl is saying.
suckfish wrote:Too big, too strong, too fast, too good, two ulcers.
siydee
Rookie
User avatar
Posts: 1,074
And1: 31
Joined: Jul 10, 2010
Location: chicago
Top

Post#36 Re: Karl Wants Javale McGee To Be More Like T
Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:43 am by The Rebel

Doctor MJ wrote:
CHA_77_Bobcats wrote:^ It was a great trade. Nene's contract is terrible since he's rarely healthy and playing at 100% and let's be honest, 100% for Nene isn't star caliber or anywhere close to it.

Javale is still growing as a player, really young, sooooooooooo lllllllllloooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnggg and full of potential.


Aslo just saw today is Javale's 25th birthday, quarter of a century. Javale: "what's a century?"


Nene actually should have been an all-star. This is what I mean when I say underrated.

Now, that doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad trade. Obviously they weren't winning any titles with the core they had. Shaking things up can be a good thing. Taking a risk can be a good thing. However, if Denver was under any illusion that McGee was in Nene's league in terms of being able to actually play 5-on-5 basketball effectively at the time, then it was a bad trade because that just means they didn't know what they were doing.

Re: "really young"...25. What sport are you following here? When have you ever seen a 5th year NBA player not understand the game and later evolve into someone who really grasps team basketball well? Basketball simply isn't that complicated if you've got a good brain for it.


The Nene trade had more to do with dumping Nene then it did with getting McGee back, Nene has missed almost a third of the games played throughout his career, and many of those were due to nursing minor injuries. For about 3 years Nene finally looked like he was about to finally reach his true potential especially without Melo on the team after that drama, the last couple of months of the 2009-2010 season Nene was putting up 15 and 8 on something like 65% shooting in 30 mpg.

Then they gave him his new deal, he started missing games with minor injuries again, he started not playing hard several games, ending up missing over half the season last year, and 13 games already this year. Karl loves Nene personally especially after them both going through the cancer battle, and you will find most Nuggets fans actually still have a soft spot for Nene, but paying 13 million a year for a guy who only plays 2/3rds of the time, and then only hard when he feels like it, is not a recipe for success.

Say what you will about McGee, but he has limited his bonehead mistakes, he still makes one every few games, but it is not that bad, but at least he is on the court and giving it his all every night. If Nene would have done that he could have been a 20 and 10 guy, McGee wants to be better then he is, Nene just never seemed to care as much as Karl or the fans wanted him too.
The Rebel
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Posts: 14,286
And1: 796
Joined: Mar 5, 2005
Top

Post#37 Re: Karl Wants Javale McGee To Be More Like T
Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:18 am by mysticbb

CHA_77_Bobcats wrote:^ It was a great trade. Nene's contract is terrible since he's rarely healthy and playing at 100% and let's be honest, 100% for Nene isn't star caliber or anywhere close to it.

Javale is still growing as a player, really young, sooooooooooo lllllllllloooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnggg and full of potential.


So far this season: Nene played 576 min and the Wizards with him on the court are at +5.2 per 100 possessions. McGee played 798 min and the Nuggets are -2.4 per 100 possessions with him on the court. Nene has $45.5m left on his contract (3.5 years), McGee $39m. To be quite blunt, I much rather pay Nene with injury problems $45.5m than McGee without injury problems $39m, because the former will at least make my team play better basketball when on the court, while the other makes his coaches wish he would have the brain of someone else.

The Rebel wrote:Say what you will about McGee, but he has limited his bonehead mistakes, he still makes one every few games, but it is not that bad, but at least he is on the court and giving it his all every night.


His "all" is not that much, that is the issue here. McGee is not a basketball player, he is an athlete, who happens to be big enough to play the game of basketball. He lacks the understanding and the fundamentals.
mysticbb


Banned User
Posts: 8,205
And1: 696
Joined: May 28, 2007
Top

Post#38 Re: Karl Wants Javale McGee To Be More Like T
Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:27 am by MrHidden

SalamiNCheez wrote:
dangermouse wrote:I want my bank account to be more like Bill Gates'.

I want my girlfriend to be more like Jenna Jameson.

I want my Wizards to be more like Oklahoma City.


Eww.. really?

Image


i think he mean Jenna in her prime :wink:
MrHidden
Suspended
Posts: 2,393
And1: 11
Joined: Apr 1, 2011
Top

Post#39 Re: Karl Wants Javale McGee To Be More Like T
Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:28 am by eathb_au

The only reason why Denver were able to take the Lakers to 7 games was because they did the trade

Nene was always pathetic against the Lakers and in the playoffs in general
eathb_au
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,821
And1: 37
Joined: May 29, 2010
Top

Post#40 Re: Karl Wants Javale McGee To Be More Like T
Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:52 am by tsherkin

"More like" doesn't have to mean "exactly like."

Karl's got a good idea, and a really basic one.

"Don't worry about being spectacular, just make the basic play."

Even McGee should be able to grasp that to one extent or another. Block the ball in play, check your man on D, box out, run the floor, hit the open man with the pass. Just play fundamental ball. McGee needs to slow down and worry less about how he looks and more about how to make the right play. He's got million-dollar talent and a ten-cent brain, but if he can keep things simple, well...

Even Kwame Brown learned how to be a deep rotation player by manning up in the post and boxing out, you know what I'm saying? If McGee can just focus, then he could be really good. He's flashing some basic post moves, he's hitting the offensive boards really well and finishing at the rim well.

He can't shoot away from the rim, he blows at the line... he's not a primary scoring threat. Or even a secondary, he's purely a clean-up player on offense and that's fine. But if Karl can help him operate under some basic constraints of strategy on defense, then his value would shoot up IMMEDIATELY. He clearly anticipates shots very well and has the mobility, length and timing to get to them and block shots. He's been at 6.6+ BLK % from his second year forward and led the league one season. Everyone knows he can hunt down the shot and block it. Now he just needs to worry about leaving his man a little less and knocking the ball to a teammate. That shouldn't be an intellect-straining move, even for McGee. Might take some time, but it's manageable.

I like what Karl is doing, or trying to do.
DEAN GARRETT!!!
tsherkin
Global Mod
Global Mod
User avatar
Posts: 56,859
And1: 2,995
Joined: Oct 14, 2003
Top

PreviousNext

Return to The General Board


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 76ciology, AgEnT50, ATLHawksfan21, Boneman2, BoomFizzle, Cliff Levingston, CrazyB0y, Cujo, dafunkdoc, Daniel616, dirkster41, DNP - Old, eagereyez, Edumacated, Fed, FlashFlare, Geaux_Hawks, Google Adsense [Bot], hisalness56, immortalone23, JLei, John Long, JonL, Jordan45822, Jugs, kidco2, Mass Rig, mickie, mpharris36, MRxBLACK, mtron929, Nirvana, picc, R-S-M, realball, SlobbaN, Sonrisen, The_Toro, Uncle Mxy, wildvikeswolves, wilt, ZCM93