Which lottery teams (currently) has brightest future?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

"Terrible" team with brightest future

Washington
10%
Cleveland
23%
Charlotte
6%
Phoenix
1%
New Orleans
20%
Toronto
8%
Detroit
21%
Orlando
10%
Sacramento
2%

Total votes: 207

mcfly1204
General Manager
And1: 1,831

Re: Which lottery teams (currently) has brightest future? 

Post#61 » by mcfly1204 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:28 pm

princeofpalace wrote:Detroit and New Orleans are the only one of these teams that have a guy that has the potential to be dominant, so its between them IMO.

Kyrie does not have the potential to be dominant?... don't tell him that.
Well at least we're not Detroit!
HappyBrownie
Sophomore
And1: 84

Post#62 » by HappyBrownie » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:54 pm

B Mac wrote:
Saciid11 wrote:Pistons have the brightest future out of all the bottom feeders...

C- Drummond
PF- Monroe .
SF- ?? ... Prince
SG--??? They have top 10 pick this year
PG - Knight

Well, the Cavs have something to say about that:

PG - Irving
SG - Waiters
SF - ?? ... Gee
PF - Thompson
C - Zeller / Varejao

They have 4 first round picks in the next two drafts with at least one of them being a top 3 pick. They have more second round picks to use as trade assets then can even be counted. Plus, they will have room for not one, but TWO max free agents in the summer of 2014.

How about this scenario:

PG - Irving/Waiters
SG - Muhammed/Waiters
SF - James/Gee
PF - Bosh/Thompson
C - Zeller/Varejao

Add in 3 more first rounders to fill out the bench...

Heck you could even take out the James and Bosh pipedream and that team is solid as could be.

How about we dont ever talk about LeBron coming back to Cleveland ever again...
Bee-Fense
Sophomore
And1: 36

Post#63 » by Bee-Fense » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:25 pm

Hornets.

Davis + Gordon is the best 2 man combo out of any of these on talent. Davis will be at the very least a top 25 player in the NBA. He's already averaging 13 8 and 2 with a 20 PER at age 19. Gordon is arguably top 25 when healthy.

Add in Ryan Anderson (top 50 in the NBA), Greivis Vasquez (MIP candidate), Robin Lopez (solid 7 footer), Jason Smith (fantastic role player), and Al-Farouq Aminu (still a big ? but has played well this year and is maybe the best rebounding SF in the NBA) to that 2 man combo, and you've already got some solid pieces.

Then also add in this year's draft pick which will be at least top 10, and then also close to $20 million in cap space after this season.

Future is very bright for New Orleans. Cavs have my #2 vote, but I worry about them adding a #2 star player on that team. Can't only have Kyrie.
tekkon
Senior
And1: 462

Post#64 » by tekkon » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:00 am

I'm also voting Detroit. Cleveland has Kyrie, a star on the making, but I'm not completely sold on Thompson (even with his recent explosion) and Waiters just yet. They also still have to get that SF and starting C (Varejao won't be around forever).

Detroit already have a strong front court in the making. Knight needs work but as long as he can improve to be starter quality they would be good. Just need to handle those assets properly.

Part of the reason I like Detroit is because I love their bigs, and I feel it's harder to fill those positions than it is to fill the guard positions.
junot111
General Manager
And1: 2,813

Post#65 » by junot111 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:09 am

Cleveland or new Orleans. Kyrie and Anthony Davis. Idk if Eric Gordon is in the pelicans future

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk 2
Young_Star11
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,767

Post#66 » by Young_Star11 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:13 am

Fanbases of the those teams should feel optimistic that better is to come.

The only team of that list I don't think has a bright future in the next few years is Phoenix. Mediocre everything.

Cleveland need Waiters and Thompson to pan out - Kyrie is a great player already and has had many clutch moments. He'll need help though.

Detroit could pair Monroe and Drummond and have a great front court. Need to make better decisions in free agency because that cap space needs to be put to better use than the last time.

New Orleans could become good but being in the West they are going to have more tough games.

Can't discount Charlotte although they are devoid of a lot of talent right now.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#67 » by Trader_Joe » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:20 am

Of all the current team outside of the playoffs...

LA Lakers obviously
Cleveland
Minny
Detroit
NO
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
ricochet
Banned User
And1: 18

Post#68 » by ricochet » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:17 am

Has to be Detroit and Magic.. As much as people have tried to hype up Kyrie, I just don't see it.. He needs a really good cast for Cleveland to be in the playoff picture.. His history of injuries is also not something we can downplay..

Detroit doesn't really have anybody particularly suited to their roster in this years draft. they should flip it a try for Wiggins the year after. As others have pointed out, with the amount coming of the books they could really add a big vet name to go along with Drummond, Monroe and some other top pick.. That looks very very good..
Oh.. I should mention that all that will lead to a big Zero if they don't get rid of that coach they have.. Van Gundy would be very very good for them.
princeofpalace
RealGM
And1: 1,636

Post#69 » by princeofpalace » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:56 am

mcfly1204 wrote:
princeofpalace wrote:Detroit and New Orleans are the only one of these teams that have a guy that has the potential to be dominant, so its between them IMO.

No. He clearly does not. Can you really say that Irving will make a better PG than Chris Paul, or Derrick Rose? And, do you consider those guys dominant? Because I sure as heck dont
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#70 » by Trader_Joe » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:45 am

princeofpalace wrote:
mcfly1204 wrote:

No. He clearly does not. Can you really say that Irving will make a better PG than Chris Paul, or Derrick Rose? And, do you consider those guys dominant? Because I sure as heck dont

Wait what?

You don't think Paul, Rose or Irving are dominant...or will be?

Am I missing sarcasm here or some inside joke?

Irving will be in the discussion as the best PG for most of his prime..along with Rose. Unless both of those guys succumb to injury.

Unless your definition of dominant is only a top 2 or 3 player, I don't get it.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
Illmatic21
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 554

Post#71 » by Illmatic21 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:16 am

Volume scoring =/= "dominant".. you have to do more than score a lot of points to be considered dominant.

I don't know if I would use "dominant" to describe CP3, but he definitely dominates the pace of the game when he's at his best. Rose is a dominant presence on the floor with his ability to get anywhere he wants on the court and dictate the way defense's react. Right now, Irving is a dominant scorer, but he doesn't control the pace of the game and his little to no impact defensively. Some of the Kyrie hype is getting out of hand.
Ronito
Lead Assistant
And1: 101

Post#72 » by Ronito » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:44 am

Hornets in a landslide.
Ronito
Lead Assistant

Post#73 » by Ronito » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:45 am

Illmatic21 wrote:Volume scoring =/= "dominant".. you have to do more than score a lot of points to be considered dominant.

I don't know if I would use "dominant" to describe CP3, but he definitely dominates the pace of the game when he's at his best. Rose is a dominant presence on the floor with his ability to get anywhere he wants on the court and dictate the way defense's react. Right now, Irving is a dominant scorer, but he doesn't control the pace of the game and his little to no impact defensively. Some of the Kyrie hype is getting out of hand.

What point guard has tremendous impact defensively?
NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,887

Post#74 » by NashtyNas » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:56 am

nhh90 wrote:Cleaveland. They are the only one with a top 20 player

First thought was Cleveland, but Detroit looks like they might be just as well off. It's hard to get ONE quality big man in this league, and they've managed to get what looks like TWO skilled bigs who may very well be top-10 in the league over their careers. I've always thought bigs were more important for a team to succeed, and therefore I'll give the Pistons the nod, however Cleveland is a close 2nd. If they had made better drafting decisions, this could easily have been them with no one coming close.

Honorable mention to New Orleans, Gordon and Davis can definitely turn a franchise around together.

The underappreciated greats:

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas
Ronito
Lead Assistant

Post#75 » by Ronito » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:58 am

Re: Big men

Hornets have Davis and Anderson, who is one of the most overrated players in the league. NO is a lottery team that should be looking for a playoff spot next year.
NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,887

Post#76 » by NashtyNas » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:01 am

Ronito wrote:
Illmatic21 wrote:Volume scoring =/= "dominant".. you have to do more than score a lot of points to be considered dominant.

Illmatic clearly has no idea what he's talking about. Derek Rose is dominant, but Kyrie Irving is simply a 'dominant scorer'? What is he using to differentiate? Does Rose play outstanding and better defense than Kyrie? NOPE. Is he a better play maker than Kyrie? NOPE. The only thing Rose does better is getting to the rim and finishing better, which can be credited to his superior athleticism, something that Irving certainly lacks. Simply because he's not as athletic or flashy as Rose does not mean he's not as dominant.

I definitely chuckled at that response though, when you concluded that even CP3 is NOT dominant. You'd have to be foolish, naive or blind to come to such a conclusion. Not only does he dominate the pace of the game and score at will, but he runs the team like a floor general, dictating everything that happens on offense when he's playing. Without Paul, the Clippers would be back in the lottery. Chris Paul is not only THE BEST point guard, but also a top 5 player in the league, arguably top 3 with the way Howard and D-Wade have been playing; if that is not dominant, I don't know what the hell is.

The underappreciated greats:

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas
Illmatic21
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 554

Post#77 » by Illmatic21 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:30 am

Ronito wrote:

Easy. Two of the PGs Irving is often mentioned with, Westbrook and Rondo, are both impact players on defense.

^To the post above, Rose's superior athleticism is WHY he is dominant. You can't just mention that in passing like it doesn't matter. Rose's freakish athleticism allows him to do things on the floor that most players can't. Every player on the defense has to constantly be on edge against him, because if you even give him an inch he will explode. If Rose had Irving's athleticism (and size, Irving is a bit smaller), I doubt anyone would even describe him as dominant.

And I never said CP3 was "NOT" dominant. What I meant was that "dominant" wasn't necessarily the first term that pops up in my head when I think of CP3. But sure, dominant could absolutely be used to describe him, why not.
TheGoodDoctor
General Manager
And1: 8,607

Post#78 » by TheGoodDoctor » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:42 am

New Orleans since they will most likely still be in top 5 next year....which means they should be adding one Wiggins, Parker, Randle or Harrison next to Davis and Gordon; nevermind who ever they draft this year.

DET could overthrow them (much to my deep frustration as a Raptor fan because it could have been Val & Drummond instead but I regress). Drummond has arguebly equal potential to Davis or more given his position and pairing him with Monroe the Pistons have a beastly froncourt. They will in all likelyhood add a decent wing this draft but of course the key for Detriot is will they finish in the bottom 8 next year??? If they do they are adding a helluva piece with their frontcourt; if not well than I don't like them as much lol

As for CLE, I say pending a top 3 pick next year....hell no. Outside of Kyrie they are playing moneyball and failing. Had they done it correctly and drafted Valanciunas and Drummond then they would have been the scariest young franchise in a decade; yes over OKC and POR imo. Two monsters in the posts, a top tier PG AND they could have been adding most likely a great young wing this AND next....damn what could of been. Instead they'll take more gambles on good but not great players. Really sad the opportunities they've blown so far.
ChrisTheFuturePaul
Veteran
And1: 104

Post#79 » by ChrisTheFuturePaul » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:59 am

I love watching the Hornets play lately. I checked out Cleveland Vs Sacramento the other day and both teams play trash offense. The Hornets not only have young talent equal or surpassing the others on the list, they also have a good chemistry and good team offense / defense.

If they can get an upgrade at SF or C this offseason they'll be in the playoffs next year.
fart
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,769

Post#80 » by fart » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:08 am

ChrisTheFuturePaul wrote:I love watching the Hornets play lately. I checked out Cleveland Vs Sacramento the other day and both teams play trash offense. The Hornets not only have young talent equal or surpassing the others on the list, they also have a good chemistry and good team offense / defense.

If they can get an upgrade at SF or C this offseason they'll be in the playoffs next year.

A hornets fan that loves watching the hornets play? Shocking....

Hornets have two nice players in Davis and Gordon, but the rest of their rostor is trash.
SargentBargs101 wrote:
CB-Blazer wrote:what the heck is an Ebanks?

The remote delivery of new and traditional banking products and services through electronic delivery channels. There you go bud :D

Return to The General Board