Seattle group gets Kings

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,467

Re: Seattle group gets Kings 

Post#241 » by RIPskaterdude » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:18 am

Again, as I said, I don't blame the Seattle fans for the potential move. But that doesn't mean that I don't think they're hypocrites for being excited for stealing a team, after theirs was stolen in a similar way.

Anyways, a good read (although unrelated to either one of us are talking about now).

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/1/21/38992 ... attle-sale
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,022

Post#242 » by slick_watts » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:58 am

This is a tough situation. I was a Sonics fan and went through the move - didn't effect me as much since I do not live in Seattle. But it was still weird and strange, and I know a lot of Sonics fans who were heart broken. I wouldn't blame them for being excited. When something like this happens it's difficult to separate your emotions and perfectly temper that excitement with the fact that Sacramento would lose a team in order for it to happen. That's asking a lot. From what I've seen most Sonics fans have been respectful about the situation, but it's asking a lot to expect them not to get excited at the prospect of the Sonics returning.
bennith13
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23

Post#243 » by bennith13 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:07 am

For lots of reasons I disagree that the Seattle and Sacramento situations are/were similar, but that is for another post.

Five years ago, Seattle posters were answering the question of why fans of other teams should care about the debacle that was happening in Seattle with the answer, "because we will come for your team, because that is the way the NBA is showing that it wants to be run". Expansion is a delusional dream. While I disagree with the posters that talk about contraction, I do believe that adding any more teams will water the league down to a point of being almost unwatchable except for certain marquee games. The only way for us (Seattle) to get a team back was to take a team from another city. These are the events that have been set in motion by David Stern trying to be PC by not keeping the NO Hornets in OKC after hurricane Katrina.

I feel bad for Sacramento. I was going to feel bad for the fans of whatever team we got, but, why should I/we in Seattle be the ones screwed by the league and left out of the NBA party? I tried to not watch the NBA and I tried not to care, but even though I am not as up on who is who and who can do what as I used to be the bottom line is I LOVE basketball. AND, despite the propaganda, there are many in Seattle like me. There are way to many people that love basketball with major resources in this city for us not to have a team. I feel bad because I know EXACTLY how many of the Sacramento fans are feeling. However, a little part of me does not feel bad at all. This course of action was inevitable. Which is why five years ago other fans, especially smaller market fans, should have been more supportive. This isn't the first time a team has moved, and as long as the NBA is set up the way it currently is and continues to have terrible upper management with mafia style tactics in the league offices this will not be the last time a team moves.
AI
RealGM
And1: 280

Post#244 » by AI » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:44 am

slick_watts wrote:This is a tough situation. I was a Sonics fan and went through the move - didn't effect me as much since I do not live in Seattle. But it was still weird and strange, and I know a lot of Sonics fans who were heart broken. I wouldn't blame them for being excited. When something like this happens it's difficult to separate your emotions and perfectly temper that excitement with the fact that Sacramento would lose a team in order for it to happen. That's asking a lot. From what I've seen most Sonics fans have been respectful about the situation, but it's asking a lot to expect them not to get excited at the prospect of the Sonics returning.

Will you root for this new Sonics team or has your heart been with the old Sonics/Thunder already?
RunSunRun
Veteran
And1: 722

Post#245 » by RunSunRun » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:47 pm

Looks like the city of Sacramento has something planned, think it starts in 10 minutes.

Kevin Johnson
Big announcement today 2 pm @ city hall...better believe we are #playingtowin!
HangTime
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,590

Post#246 » by HangTime » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:55 pm

If the Move is approved, any chance the "Sonics" play 1 or 2 home games in Vancouver? They could gain more fans, have 2 cities behind the team. It would be interesting. They could also see how much Vancouver really loves basketball.
No Offense
Assistant Coach
And1: 260

Post#247 » by No Offense » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:56 pm

HangTime wrote:If the Move is approved, any chance the "Sonics" play 1 or 2 home games in Vancouver? They could gain more fans, have 2 cities behind the team. It would be interesting. They could also see how much Vancouver really loves basketball.

I'd bet on them playing a preseason game there (if not occasionally, every year).
kakaman
Banned User
And1: 665

Post#248 » by kakaman » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:15 pm

The big announcement was KJ managed to raise 19mm...great only 300m to go!
catch22
Junior
And1: 5

Post#249 » by catch22 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:21 pm

kakaman wrote:The big announcement was KJ managed to raise 19mm...great only 300m to go!

Seems pointless to have this press conference before he has this supposed big money investor secured.
Jase
RealGM
And1: 158

Post#250 » by Jase » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:32 pm

xx_skaterdude_xx wrote:Again, as I said, I don't blame the Seattle fans for the potential move. But that doesn't mean that I don't think they're hypocrites for being excited for stealing a team, after theirs was stolen in a similar way.

Be objective. What do you expect Sonics fans to do, gripe and complain because they're getting a team back? Refuse it just to be polite? Like Slick said, it's asking a lot to not get excited. It does suck for the Kings fans, but the Maloofs were terrible owners. It isn't fair for Kings fans to lose their team, in the same way it wasn't fair for Sonics fans to lose their team. But if/when this goes through, I defy you to not be excited if your city ever gets a team again.
"A winner listens. A loser just waits until it's their turn to talk."
No Offense
Assistant Coach
And1: 260

Post#251 » by No Offense » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:37 pm

kakaman wrote:The big announcement was KJ managed to raise 19mm...great only 300m to go!

I really like Kevin Johnson and I can't help but feel like I want this to work out for him and Sacramento, but this just seems like the equivalent of "the check's in the mail."
OzSonic
Starter
And1: 7

Post#252 » by OzSonic » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:39 pm

Jase wrote:But if/when this goes through, I defy you to not be excited if your city ever gets a team again.

+1
Never Wrong
Banned User
And1: 496

Post#253 » by Never Wrong » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:42 pm

Stalling the inevitable
Doddage
Veteran
And1: 1,852

Post#254 » by Doddage » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:43 pm

Never Wrong wrote:Stalling the inevitable

Pretty much
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,446

Post#255 » by KF10 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:47 pm

Today's conference was nothing more than a PR push.

KJ just said that he will announce his heavy hitters by the end of this week.

He is doing everything in his power to keep the Kings in Sacramento.
Det the Threat
Head Coach
And1: 354

Post#256 » by Det the Threat » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:48 pm

Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5

To sum up...KJ has at least $19m in pledges from 19 local owners. No Arena Plan. No Major Investor. #NBAKings #NBASeattle

Don't really know what that press conference was all about...
NekiEcko
Bench Warmer
And1: 336

Post#257 » by NekiEcko » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:53 pm

I wonder why he didnt show his heavy hitters now or arena plan or anything like that. This confuse me alot.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,446

Post#258 » by KF10 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:00 pm

Det the Threat wrote:
Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5

To sum up...KJ has at least $19m in pledges from 19 local owners. No Arena Plan. No Major Investor. #NBAKings #NBASeattle

Don't really know what that press conference was all about...

As a Kings fan, I'm a bit disappointed about all of this. Why did KJ hold a press conference if he ONLY he is going to say that he has 19 local owners that is committed to pledge $1m each? From the outside, people will say " LOLOLOL Sacramento only has $19m towards buying the Kings. good bye sacramento!!1!" His PR ploy will backfire if he doesn't announce his main plans soon.

This is the type of announcement that should be only mentioned once you announce your major contributors at the same time. Not separately.
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,467

Post#259 » by RIPskaterdude » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:06 pm

He's not going to announce everything at once, that would just give the Hansen group time to think about upping their bid or getting a new plan of attack. This isn't going to be decided by one press conference, give him until February at least.
MellowRose
Banned User
And1: 1,551

Post#260 » by MellowRose » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:07 pm

I'm going to be pissed if the Kings keep their team. BRING IT TO SEATTLE!

Return to The General Board